• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sticking his tongue out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking his tongue out

Hey guys! Question..

My horse, TJ, is a cute hunter, but he is constantly sticking his tongue out the side of his mouth when I'm riding him. I've tried a variety of different bits on him, but he does it no matter what I do. I've also tried a flash (obviously just to school him in), and that doesn't work. Has anybody had horses like this before.. and any suggestions? Thanks!

Some horses just do it. It is something you should learn to live with. Hasn't your trainer made any suggestions?

I have heard of people tying the tongue in? Which is not something I would do.

As far as showing goes, it's a tie breaker. Some judges hate it, for me it doesn't bother so much depending on the division and how well the horse is doing his job. There's a whole thread on this from a month or two ago that you might be interested in reading.

Comment

My friend has a horse who always has his tongue out, he will keep it in for the most part with a thinner bit. I don't know other than keep trying other bits--have his teeth checked too.

I saw a trainer use thin WIRE to make a flash for a short stirrup horse at a show, they schooled and warmed up at the show in it. They didn't actually show in it but it was horrifying. Poor horse.

Comment

I've been told by some judges that they consider it an evasion of the bit and will deduct points.

Comment

Although sometimes cute and comical..this is considered a vice in my book. I too would think of this as an evasive matter. I would not go to the extent of tieing the tongue or any other ridiculous "fix" however.
          I personally have had no experience with this issue but would think that riding in a flash at home would possibly wean him away from this habit.

Comment

• Original Poster

We were thinking about giving him a mint before he goes in the class? I could try that.. but I don't know how long it would last.

Comment

Originally posted by HJPony View Post
              Although sometimes cute and comical..this is considered a vice in my book. I too would think of this as an evasive matter. I would not go to the extent of tieing the tongue or any other ridiculous "fix" however.
              I personally have had no experience with this issue but would think that riding in a flash at home would possibly wean him away from this habit.
              I disagree with it ALWAYS being an evasive matter. I mean really, if a horse is going around mouth closed, ears forward with a happy jr/ammie friendly expression on his face, how is it even remotely evasive? Especially if they do it when the don't have a bit in their mouth. Maybe some just do it-just like some riders go around with their tongue out over the jumps.

TJ-My horse does the same thing. He's a baby so he doesnt know enough about the bit to be evasive. He's done it since day 1-all the time, its just part of him. We've tried a few different bits and one that seems to work ok (but he doesnt keep it in all of the time) is a key bit. He plays with it and will move his tongue in and out. I refuse to tie his tongue or anything because I think he will just get upset and thats not fair. I won't argue you are going to have some judges that will care and some that won't. Try a mint, I've heard you can do PB or something on the bit too but I would think that would make them more inclined to open their mouth.
              "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I tried out a horse that did this, after the H/J people passed on him (I am a dressage rider.) What they did that worked was they used a ball bit (I think they are called Waterfords) and tied a peppermint tea bag to it. Not legal for dressage though!
                2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

• Original Poster

Jersey - he plays with his tongue a lot actually! Not just when I am riding.

TheHorse - we actually have a waterford in his mouth now.. but no luck lol... I am thinking the mint thing might help?

Comment

Sorry it really will cost you in most hunter shows. There are many different things

Sorry it really will cost you at almost all rated shows in any hunter classes.

There are many things you can try. PB on the roof of the mouth right before you go in the class, Waterford bits but the thing we have found to be the most effective with " our very cute tongue lolling hunter" is a tongue depressor bit.

They make the rubber attachment that you can actually put on any snaffle bit ( although it took 3 BNR's to figure out how to put it on a year ago. But they actually make a rubber pelham with the depressor already made into it. It looks kind of like a wide rubber spoon facing to the back of the mouth of the horse. Works great with our guy. Equisport in California ( Brad ) carries the bit, most tack stores can order the attachment.

Good Luck

Comment

We had a horse that did this - consistently out to one side of his mouth. If you go to any tack store you can buy a rubber "toungue" thing - it is probably 3-4" long and 1" wide and attaches to the bit (hooks over it). I guess in theory it pushes down on the toungue so they can't get their tongue over the bit or something. We put it around a thin D-Ring Snaffle on the side where he normally stuck the tongue out and it would keep his tongue in his mouth. We only used it at the shows - not sure if it would be legal in dressage or anything but we used it on a hunter and it worked great - and it only costs a dollar or two - worth a try!
                      We tried the peppermint thing with ours - it sometimes worked for 1/2 the course but then out it came again!
                      Good luck

Comment

My horse does this! He even does it on his own, hangin' in his stall and outside in the pasture. Nothing we've tried fixes it, its not a bit evasion though, doesn't seem to have any impact there. So I just deal haha
                        "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
                        Working Student Blog
                        Current Blog

Comment

I must be getting old - tongue depressor was what I was trying to say! It is hard to get on - but the tack store people helped us! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
                            I disagree with it ALWAYS being an evasive matter. I mean really, if a horse is going around mouth closed, ears forward with a happy jr/ammie friendly expression on his face, how is it even remotely evasive? Especially if they do it when the don't have a bit in their mouth. Maybe some just do it-just like some riders go around with their tongue out over the jumps.
                            I somewhat see where you're coming from . However, if a horse is continually playing with his tongue than he clearly has his mind directed towards playing and not his riders direction. It's simply a distraction and not a thing that most people would smile about. In the stall is one thing, but when the horse has a job at hand..not so much.

Comment

Rubber tongue depressor works on some.
                              Try slipping some peanut butter on tongue just before he goes in, maple syrup can work too. (we did not use depressor and peanut butter at the same time!)Its not 100% but can help some.

We had a nice bay TB that did it and he pinned well at Vermont a couple of years ago& won the M&S Adult hunter classic too.

I have to add that it was not out constantly.

Comment

I had a great hunter that stuck her tongue out over fences. A very thin bit seemed to help, but since it was only over the fence we didn't fuss with her too much. If she put down a solid round she always placed very well. I am sure sometimes we just got lucky that the judge didn't see it since it was just over the fence, but sometimes the photographers caught it so I know she still did it. Try a thinner bit.

Comment

My gelding does this when he's relaxed and happy, not stuck out all the way, just a little bit poking through. I think it's cute. When he is tense or pissed, no tongue in sight....

Comment

Oh, my favorite topic..... I too have a 5 year old who likes to hang his tongue. Like others, it is always out one side of his mouth. He definitely does it more when flatting and less at a show when jumping around - I think because things are a bit new to him for those couple of trips. We have tried a ton of bits, flashes, figure 8's, tying his tongue, the tongue depressor, flavored bit wraps, etc. We have not had a lot of luck with any of them. Can sometimes get good results short term so we will try to save them for shows but even then, they typically only work a short while.

We did just come home from VT though and did talk to a BNT about this and also got the suggestion to try peanut butter just before going into the ring. I also bought one of those bits with the dangling keys hoping that might encourage him to keep that darn tongue in.

He is great when ridden in a hackamore. No tongue and does seem really happy in it.

It is a very frustrating habit for sure. On a positive note, as I said, we did just come back from VT and got some very good ribbons over fences (tongue not out all the time) and actually got a low hack ribbon with that think dangling around the whole time. I guess as others have said, it will clearly depend on the judge and will be the tie breaker all other things equal.

Comment

A horse I used to ride did this all the time. He was sucha nervous nellie and he would hang his tongue out when he was getting upset by something. Almost like how people bite there tounges. What we did was put a Fruit Roll Up around his git to keep him occupied. We used the green ones cause they were apple flavored, and if he started to slime in the middle of a class, it looked like he has eaten grass. We tried the red ones once, looked like he was bleeding from his mouth Worth a try

Comment

Originally posted by HJPony View Post
                                        I somewhat see where you're coming from . However, if a horse is continually playing with his tongue than he clearly has his mind directed towards playing and not his riders direction. It's simply a distraction and not a thing that most people would smile about. In the stall is one thing, but when the horse has a job at hand..not so much.
                                        Not playing, but just sticking it out. I personally think its just a variation in behavior and in horses that tend to do it both under saddle and on there own, its just a habit or quirk NOT a vice. I think there are a lot worse things that will cost you a class than a bit of tongue poking out. When it is coupled with an open mouth, tense jaw or pinned ears then it is definately an evasive behavior but to me there is a big difference between one that goes around with a their tongue out because they are trying to get it over the bit and one that just sticks it out to show it off.

TJ-your horse sounds like mine. Its out all of the time not matter what he is doing. Maybe he will outgrow it (mine is only 4) but I don't really care-my horse is a great mover, attractive, quiet has tons of personality and a wonderful brain.

SAS-we tried that bit on my horse and he loved it but still stuck his tongue out.

I think the fruit roll up or PB trick is worth a shot!
                                        "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X