• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff. Getting excused in a flat class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff. Getting excused in a flat class

Ok so this clip is driving not riding. Also not saying that there was anything the judge could have possibly done at this particular event.

Nonetheless, I think this link illustrates how a little freshness one one horses part can derail a whole class in a terrible way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YcT74h5Mg

Most of the time it doesn't go this bad but nothing is to say this or worse couldn't happen in a hunter hack. Imagine a fall off, some plastic chainlink fencing and a baby carriage....

I guess my opinion is if you are excused, it's probably for a good reason.
    Timothy, stop lurking

I've excused myself from a flat class before! I was taking a greenie to his first show and he flipped out and tried to bolt/freak several times, so I excused myself out of courtesy to the other riders, (since we obviously wouldn't have placed anyways). Mr. Brat went back to the warm-up ring. lol

Comment

OH MY! The comments say everyone was okay? I thought the announcer did a good job trying to keep everyone under control, especially once people started screaming.

I've excused myself from a hack before. Mare was being a rank idiot so I went into the middle and stood there. Judge told me that I did the right thing. I was very young at the time-like 12? I think I surprised myself by excusing myself
      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

• Original Poster

Ha ha. I have never had to pull myself out yet (knock wood) but good for you for realizing it yourself and not hanging in there at the risk of creating a perfect trifecta (what we call it when one fresh horse makes 3 completely innocent bystanders hit the dust)!
        Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

that video is terrifying!!!

Comment

GOOD GOD! Was the announcer the only person with any common sense?? Maybe h/j people are more used to loose horses (post-fall, etc), but I feel like most competitors would know better than trying to leap out in front of a scared, galloping horse. Or that one guy who tried to grab the horse's reins as it flew by-he probably did some shoulder damage there. I think that video just took 5 minutes off my life.
            "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

Oh My God

Comment

holy. cow.

probably one of the more horrific horse videos ive seen. wow.
                (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

I had something similar happen in a flat class several years ago. There were about 20 of us in a short stirrup flat class and one rank little pony bucked and bolted, throwing his rider into the fence. We were cantering at the time and before the anouncer could ask everyone to halt their mounts the pony had caused several more to act up. Before we knew it, about have the class was out of control. I, thankfully, had a saint of mare who merely kicked out at the offending pony and continued on her way at a nice lopey canter. By the end, I think there were only 3 or 4 us still mounted! It was a little nuts to say the least.

As for the video, I wish people would learn 3 things when a horse is loose:

1) SHUT UP!!!

2) DON"T try and grab the reins!! (can we say lameness and rope burn!)

3) WATCH WHERE THE HORSE IS GOING!!! Why on earth would anyone take their eyes of a horse that is out of control in such confined quarters???
                  If you really think about it, what can you blame on a horse?

Comment

When we were on High School Equestrian team my freshman year there was one Junior who constantly excused her self to the middle of the ring. Most of the time it was because she was pissed she was in a class she didn't want to ride!

As for the class on the you tube video I have a few things to say:

1. I agree with the other posters that apparently people need to learn how to act around terrified horses.

2. Running after them doesn't help

3. jumping in front of them doesn't help

4. Screaming doesn't help

Also I saw maybe ONE person do the smart thing. When the announcer called for them to come to the center of the ring only ONE person got out of there cart and unhitched their horse. I am sorry but that would be the first thing I would do. Then there was the other woman (the last horse that bolted with buggy....) After she almost got ran into repeatedly she still just sat there and watched the horse get closer and closer without getting out or unhitching (which at that point might have been hard) I also think that was the woman who got flipped out. I also feel that should have tried to get the horses out earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by nlk View Post
                      . . .
                      Also I saw maybe ONE person do the smart thing. When the announcer called for them to come to the center of the ring only ONE person got out of there cart and unhitched their horse. I am sorry but that would be the first thing I would do. Then there was the other woman (the last horse that bolted with buggy....) After she almost got ran into repeatedly she still just sat there and watched the horse get closer and closer without getting out or unhitching (which at that point might have been hard) I also think that was the woman who got flipped out. I also feel that should have tried to get the horses out earlier.
                      This video was posted a couple of months ago in OC.

The woman you are referring to is disabled. That is why she did not get out of the cart. She couldn't, which is why -- when you watch the video carefully -- you see a man drag her out of the way after she gets flipped out of her cart.

Eileen
                      Mad Mare™ Studio
                      Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                      http://MadMare.com

Comment

Originally posted by nlk View Post
                        nlk, do you have much experience with driving? I have some, not a lot, but some, and unless I had a good "pit crew" I can't picture how trying to unhitch in the middle of a panic situation would be a good thing. It takes about a couple of minutes at the best of times to unhitch a horse, in a situation like on the video, you'd want somebody heading the horse and a person on each side, or I can just see a bigger mess waiting to happen if you've got one side undone and the horse being unhitched gets into panic mode! That can be an even bigger mess IMHO. One of the race trainers at the barn had one of his good racehorses come unglued for some reason only known to the horse when he'd only undone one side of the jogger (and with the quick hitches they use it takes almost no time at all) and he got dragged halfway down the track trying to get the horse under control without either of them getting killed. He was lucky, even though the horse almost impaled himself at the girth with a shaft, they were both relatively unscathed, though my friend thought he was going to have a heart attack!
                        ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

My pony was dismissed from an entire horse show at Santa Cruz (four or five days) due to her poor behavior!
                          This was just before we took her on a two-week trial, and purchased her, back in 1990!
                          Don't worry, it all turned out alright in a few years, so long as she was ridden very accurately around other horses.
                          "If you write a whole line of zeroes, it's still--nothing."
                          --Kira (We The Living)

Comment

Originally posted by Roan View Post
                            This video was posted a couple of months ago in OC.

The woman you are referring to is disabled. That is why she did not get out of the cart. She couldn't, which is why -- when you watch the video carefully -- you see a man drag her out of the way after she gets flipped out of her cart.

Eileen
                            Interesting to know. However why didn't the person handling the horse up front help bring the horse and driver closer to the middle? There was a person up front I think. I understand keeping the horses quiet etc but it seems to me that after watching them almost get nailed three or four times before the actually did it would have been worth a try.

Also as to unhitching the cart I had noticed in the video that two or so people had done that when they went into the center so that 's why I thought to bring it up.

I personally will stick to my saddle

Comment

[QUOTE=Roan;4271802] The woman you are referring to is disabled. That is why she did not get out of the cart. She couldn't, which is why -- when you watch the video carefully -- you see a man drag her out of the way after she gets flipped out of her cart.[QUOTE]

Poor woman, to have limited mobility in a situation like that, not that the other people in the ring seemed to have gotten out very quick. This video seems to make the rounds - I've seen it several times before, and I think it was on FHOTD at one point. At first they do all seem to be chasing the first loose horse very aggressively and maybe not a great idea, but toward the end they seem to be trying to keep it away from the people/horses/carts in the center of the ring, and that horse really just keeps coming back through the center for some reason. I just don't understand why so many people stayed in the ring for so long. The drivers and their people were kind of stuck, and I guess the officials felt it was their place, but it made a pretty big crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Roan View Post
                                Suddenly, there is some understanding for me. I saw this video awhile back and for the life of me couldn't figure out why that woman didn't get out of her cart.

I think this is a pretty decent reminder that even if you think you're horse isn't going to freak out, you should get off. You never know what is going to happen and it's safer for everyone to be dismounted.
                                Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

The person that led their horse out of the arena had the right idea in my mind. Unhitch and get out.

Seems like it would help if they had a chute setup outside the arena. Let the horse out the arena gate into the chute and he'll have no place to go and will have to stop.

Imagine the equipment damage and how many of the horses may have had issues after the incident.
                                  To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
                                  for we have not deserved it.
                                  Marion Garretty

Comment

Yikes, I bet that turned into one EXPENSIVE class for everyone involved.

Comment

Wow...just wow - my heart was pounding just watching that video.

So it said no person was hurt but the hackney that they kept down...was it's leg broken?

As far as doing anything else...I don't see what could have been done differently. The horses were so beyond reason that they didn't even care who or what they ran into - even the people standing right in the middle close to the announcer's booth were ran into..there was nowhere TO go.

Quite frankly, I thought it may have been a good idea, as some tried, to grab onto an errant rein as the horses were so panicked that they weren't just running themselves out of steam around the outside. They were trying to get close to the other horses and the situation just kept escalating. Sure, it may have resulted in lameness but a situation like that also could have resulted in death...human and horse.
                                      \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post

So it said no person was hurt but the hackney that they kept down...was it's leg broken?
                                        Agreed- does anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                                        X