• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who was/is the best trainer you ever had?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was/is the best trainer you ever had?

You know that being a great rider doesn't make you a great trainer.
    Some are BNT, others are not, but are worth their weight in gold. I guess the key is to be able to explain not only tecnical things simply, but also being able to convey a feeling in such an explicit way that you can almost feel it yourself. And they also must have great timing when to say things, or when to push and when to stay put..

Who do you think is one of the best trainers you have ever had? The one you most learned from?
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Kate Worsham without a doubt. I still ride with her =) ... I was a very timid and nervous rider due to a previous trainer who wasn't the nicest person in the world. From day one Kate has made a HUGE difference in my self confidence!! I love her even though she can be an equitation natzi at times haha
    !

Comment

I'll play

Only considering past trainers and not present, Ginny Sorkin. She imparted in me the greatest amount of my "horse philosophy" that i use to date; she is the most ethical person I've ever met, and even though she's an ammy herself now, she always makes time to answer all the questions I throw her way, be it horsey, non-horsey ethical, or crying to her like a mommy when my heart gets broken.

I think what made her the best was her ability to explain things in ways that made sense so they were easier to apply and understand the purpose. She is very much into flatwork and taught me a great respect for the benefits of lateral work and other basic dressage/flatwork and I use it all to this day. She also made sure I knew how to thoroughly take care of a horse/tack/set course etc. so my practical knowledge dates to her.

Comment

Who do you think is one of the best trainers you have ever had? The one you most learned from?
        The one I ride with now and have been riding with for the last almost 12 years!

I have had 7 other instructors and truthfully, I'd call them just that, instructors. My very first one, I still think of as a good horsewoman. She knows her stuff but she taught me when I was 8 and then moved on to have a family when I was 10. I learned a lot but she didn't have the time to teach me beyond w/t/c/jump 2ft on packer school horses.

My current trainer is randomly threatened, er, reminded gently , that she's not allowed to stop teaching me! I hope some day to be half the rider/horsewoman she is. She knows her stuff, has been there done that but you'd never know it to look at her. She's spent her time in the big rings, she's shown and won at the Garden, rode with some of the biggest BNT's but can still start a kid w/t and take them as far as she went - she has the most peaceful manner and has patience of a saint! She is a wonderful person and a fantastic gift to horses. She's one of those naturals-she touches the reins and horses just respond...it's amazing to watch!

My retired horse would literally change his body language and over all expression when he heard her voice. He knew the "smart one" was there to help his poor mother figure out what the heck she was doing!
        Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
        http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
        *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Comment

I had two that I would consider "great". The first is Arlene Orr Amery (Windy Top Farm, Chester NJ) who taught me as a pony kid. She laid a good foundation in riding AND horsemanship. She was a Frank Chapot student and passed on a lot of Franks wisdom. She encouraged us to hang out at the horse shows to just watch and learn. She took us on field trips to USET finals and Maclay finals, so we could see how the "big kids" did it. She didn't put up with any garbage and ran one of the tightest barns I have ever seen. She also taught me that you can do anything that you believed you could, even if that meant buying an old retired lesson pony, cleaning her up and going to A shows. She told me that I could win if I wanted to and I won Middlesex and Monmouth on that $500 pony- all because Arlene said I could.

The second was Maxine Best who trained me as an older junior. She helped me with style and got me a lot of great rides that I would have never gotten without her help. She was very honest and outspoken. You knew exactly what was expected of you and she didn't settle for anything less. Always ride your best. I was a limited budget kid. She always said that lessons were for learning and that we went to the shows to win. No wasting time. No wasting money. Simple as that.

Comment

Cathy Simm of Hunters Run. There may be trainers with better timing and tact, but her teaching of all-round horsemanship, showmanship, and true empathy for the animals has made me a far better competitor and horse person than the trainers who simply inflated my ego and sat me on fancy horses for the sake of making more money.

Comment

Amy Sherrick von Schiller (sp?) formerly of VIC, now of Cazenovia!

Comment

Not counting present trainers, the two I got the most from in the shortest time were
                Gene Estep
                two semi-private lessons. I fully credit those two lessons with getting me past my "B" test. Particularly with getting the "stopper" round clear- NOBODY else, including his owner, could get him round with less than one stop at almost every fence. Also with understanding how your weight, and "sitting vs standing" are used as aids. The fact that it was a semi-private, with my sister on a VERY different horse from mine, made it particularly valuable- the difference between what he told her to do (on a hot horse) and what he told me to do (on an elderly, lazy horse) is something I have internalized and used ever since.

Sally (Lord) Ike
                2 weeks of "Pony Club clinic" at GMHA. The "image" she created by saying that, when you go around the corner you need to "change to a lower gear" so you "keep the revs up" even though you are going slower, is another thing that has stuck with me.

Both of these were 1971 or earlier.

By the way, I still see Sally Ike at meetings and events, but does anyone know what happened to Gene Estep?
                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

The best trainer I've ever had is the one I had now. Though currently I am very frustrated because she's having a mid-life crisis and changed her cell phone number and lost contact with everyone. When I first started riding with her two years ago, I was in the most advanced group at the lesson barn I started at and I felt like I was going no where. From the very first time I took a lesson with her my riding started changing dramatically. i can ow win the eqs. I'm dissappointed I'm moving and I wish I could take her with me. She's no big name trainer and comes off as difficult with some people but without her stubborness I would not be where I am today. Not only has she taught me alot about riding, she has taught me alot about life in general.

If she had more money she could have the potential to be as big as Beezie Madden or George Morris.

Comment

My present trainer....

Melissa Jones Sarle at www.Paramountshowstables.com She is the first trainer I've had that "nagged" me for a whole winter to fix my lower leg. It's pretty much fixed and man, it makes a difference. She has made me into a much better rider than I was two years ago and she believes in me and that makes a difference too. I learn a ton watching her ride as she is so darn soft but effective-rides beautifully! She has added a lot of details to my ride and I know I'm better off for it.

Comment

Not to sound cliche' .... but my current trainer. I have learned more from her than all my other trainers combined. Though we may not agree all the time, her teaching methods have worked best for me.

My position is better than it ever was even better than when I was a kid... she knows when to push, and when to back off. She is always encouraging (unless I'm being an idiot and then she gets on my case).

She is very knowledgable and has a knack for being able to explain things in multiple ways depending on the rider so they can "get it".

She is also an accomplished rider and sets a great example.

She posts on here so I'll give her a little plug.

Angela Walker
                      www.royalhillfarm.com

Comment

Skip Billingham. Somehow, he gave me and the pony confidence to jump fences I never thought we could. If I still wanted to ride competitively in the hunters, I'd still be with him. I also won a lot with him.
                        Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

I'm not going to give a name. However, I'll say that in my experience of having...oh...7 or so trainers, that the very best are those who build up your confidence and give you instruction that is translatable to lots of situations. I want to learn to apply it myself rather than to hear what I need to do in that very instant. Tough with a smile is perfect, too.
                          Re-riding "Mama" to two impish red-haired boys--a small 4 yo human and a very big chestnut TB hunter

Comment

Gary Henley is who comes to mind first with me.
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                            http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                            [url]
                            Starman Babies

Comment

Orly Dehoyas, unfortuntely he is not with us anymore. He could make you feel like you could do anything when you walked up to the ingate. He instilled more confidence in me during the three years I rode with him than nay other trainer before or since.

Comment

my current trainer is all that i could have hoped for and more. she's young (only a few years older than me) which some people could view as a bad thing but really it's not. she can instruct me without being just a teacher, you know? i'm her only older student who rides more than once a week so we're pretty close. i came from a barn with another trainer who started me riding. i learned some bad habits from her-well not learned really but they were inforced because she didn't correct them. she was all right for beginners but i wasn't going anywhere with her and she refused to get any school horses only ponies (i'm 5'7'' with amazon legs) plus she wasn't that knowledgeable...we went to a show once and she had to ask my current trainer (who was her assistant at the time) how to measure the strides between jumps! i mean, i thought that was something most students knew how to do, let alone trainers. anyway, i consider my current trainer my friend (corny i know, but w/e) and we go on road trips to watch some big shows in the summer and stuff. i would be devastated if she ever moved/quit training!
                                Willow- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1125720084

Comment

I loved Orley too...also John McConnell for schooling at horse shows--he's the only trainer who ever really helped me with my old jumper, & Tony Font--super great for clinics.
                                  "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

Comment

Michael Henaghan. He's just brilliant... Tough, but brilliant.

Seb
                                    Aca-Believe it!!

Comment

I owe and thank Linda Will , Hunt & Hackaway in Milroy, PA for giving me solid basics and GM for polishing me off...
                                      Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Comment

Hands down Thom and Wissie Brede. I trained with them for 8 years and they were the best riding years ever!
                                        Last edited by Briaffer; Nov. 8, 2006, 06:47 PM. Reason: did my math wrong :P
                                        "Riding a horse is not a hobby to be picked up & laid down, it is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole & once it has done so, he will have to accept his life will be radically changed." - RWE

Comment

Working...
                                        X