• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Did I do something to cause this reaction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I do something to cause this reaction?

After many years off, I got back into riding about 6 months ago. I had primarily ridden dressage before, but now I'm taking hunter jumper lessons. I bought my horse in Feb.

Friday, I took him over an X twice and he was good... jumps a little high, but canters nicely away. So, I had hubby put the rail straight and I get dumped after the jump... He was 'flimming' it with our camera, so I won't say more since you can just watch it for yourself. Did I do something to cause the reaction after the jump?? I know I let him rush too much and I wasn't expecting for him to jump that high....

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30016...05169681pzHYmv

A few things stand out...

1. He looks off when he is trotting in the video. It is not a lot of footage, so maybe he is not, but he does not look sound at the trot. It could be possible that his reaction after jumping was due to pain.

2. Does this horse know how to jump? Based just one the 1 jump (again, not a lot of info, but based on what you posted), he does not appear to know how to jump (he thrusted himself over a very small obstacle in a large jump instead of jumping it normally). So, it could also be a "greenie" moment where he is excited after going over the jump.

3. You said he rushed, but in fact he lacks impulsion. Enough impulsion will make his trick after the fence a little harder to do (provided you keep your leg on, eyes up, and don't let him get his head down between his legs).

Good luck!

Comment

It looks like a combination of green horse and green rider. It looks like your lower leg isn't as secure as it should be, and you anticipated and leaned up his neck. It's hard to tell whether he thought he should worry because you were tense and jumping up his neck, or he realized he could take advantage of you in a vulnerable position. The most likely scenario though is that you kicked him in the flanks when your leg slid back and it bothered him. Don't be discouraged, but 6 months back isn't the saddle just doesn't seem to be enough time to build up the leg strength and base of support you need to jump. Go back to trot poles and posting trot with no stirrups until your leg is solid enough to let your upper body stay with him without compromising your base of support.

I would let your trainer jump him so he learns that its all about and stick to working on basics. Then I would start learning to jump on another horse that is going to let you make beginner mistakes without taking advantage.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Equine Adhesive View Post
        A few things stand out...

1. He looks off when he is trotting in the video. It is not a lot of footage, so maybe he is not, but he does not look sound at the trot. It could be possible that his reaction after jumping was due to pain.
        He doesn't feel like he is off when I ride him and when I see him in the pasture he doesn't apprear off... he does have some old scars from an old barbed wire injury... perhaps it causes him some problems? I think I have a video of him just trotting taken later than I can upload...

2. Does this horse know how to jump? Based just one the 1 jump (again, not a lot of info, but based on what you posted), he does not appear to know how to jump (he thrusted himself over a very small obstacle in a large jump instead of jumping it normally). So, it could also be a "greenie" moment where he is excited after going over the jump.
        His previous owner jumped him, so I'd say he does, but then when I bought him I didn't ask her a lot of question concerning jumping since I was just getting back into riding at the time. He jumps Xs in the same manner - it feel like he hurls himself over something tiny.

3. You said he rushed, but in fact he lacks impulsion. Enough impulsion will make his trick after the fence a little harder to do (provided you keep your leg on, eyes up, and don't let him get his head down between his legs).
        I guess I felt like he rushed a bit since I let him break into canter before the jump, instead of keeping him at trot.

joiedevie99, I am pretty green at jumping so he and I should probably just stick with the flat work.

Comment

On the rushing vs. impulsion thing, since you've done dressage before, I'm sure you know that the horse can get quick (propulsion) without having impulsion (actually using their hind end correctly, moving with power). He's getting on his forehand, which makes him *feel* faster/stronger, from what little I can see in the video. Also, when I've jumped before, if the horse gets a little tense in the back and neck, they feel like they're going fast, even if their objective speed (mpm) is very slow.

Even if he knows how to jump, I'd say he definitely needs a refresher before *you* try to jump him. It's possible he did a little bit with a good rider, several years ago (or wasn't really trained, just hopped over, and they were happy with that). If you're going to jump at this point, you want a horse partner who will pack you around and be forgiving of beginner mistakes. Does your instructor have a school horse who you can take a few jumping lessons on? More flatwork is definitely good, but you'll still be a beginner at *jumping*. The skillset is a bit different. Do you do a lot of 2-point on the flat on your own as well as in lessons?
          Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

Ouch. It is hard to tell from that. If you didn't lose balance and yank him around while trying to save yourself, I'd guess it was an evasion. He probably felt you were not that tight in the saddle and not keeping him in the railway lines with hand and leg. We don't know if he is young, green, fresh, etc. Back to poles on the ground with your trainer I guess!! Grids are the perfect way to help out a rider and horse.
            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Mudder View Post
              After many years off, I got back into riding about 6 months ago. I had primarily ridden dressage before, but now I'm taking hunter jumper lessons. I bought my horse in Feb.

Friday, I took him over an X twice and he was good... jumps a little high, but canters nicely away. So, I had hubby put the rail straight and I get dumped after the jump... He was 'flimming' it with our camera, so I won't say more since you can just watch it for yourself. Did I do something to cause the reaction after the jump?? I know I let him rush too much and I wasn't expecting for him to jump that high....

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30016...05169681pzHYmv
              As you go over the "fence" your lower leg slips way back and tickles him in the flank. I think I would react the same way if I was your horse.

Comment

No worries. You just got ahead and maybe bothered him with your leg going too back, although in my opinion it's that mixed with a little freshness (by the way, he seems to have a very nice bounce in him!! congrats!). He had a mean spin there and I think if he ever tries that again (even just once) get a pro to ride him and let him know that that's a no-no! A little freshness like that can turn into a mean vice and just after a jump is when the rider is most vulnerable to spins and direction changes. Try to keep your eyes up, your body staight (almost vertical) when you do your first jumps and use your outside rein to keep him straight if he tries to spin. All this with impulsion, that you will be able to provide because you will be straighter in the saddle and have your seat contact quicker to make him go forward right after the jump. Tighten your legs just before the jump and try to pull your seat in.
                Hope this helps,
                Viv
                Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Comment

Along with what everyone else said, I too think that he looks lame. Did you have him vetted when you bought him? He's quite short in the right hind, which I'm sure is being exaggerated by his lacking impulsion, but I would definitely have that checked out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input... after it happened, I thought: Gosh, I should have stuck with Dressage!

For those who think he looks off, here is another video that is longer... I apologize for the quality - it looks good on my computer but when I upload it it seems poor quality.

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30484...05169681BdcBfP

Comment

Yes, he looks short-strided on that right hind in the second video, to me. It doesn't necessarily mean he's in pain per se - there are some horses with chronic conditions who are cleared by the vet to work, and indeed, are sounder *in* light work than not. However, jumping may not be a good idea. One of the horses I ride for free on the weekends has weak stifles, so he can't jump. He's actually fine most of the time, but sometimes is a little creakier than usual. He trailrides a lot, and hillwork is especially good for him, but sometimes he just doesn't track up as much on that left hind. On those days, we walk only, or I put him back up if he doesn't warm up out of it pretty quickly. It's not nearly as obvious as with your horse, though.
                      Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

Yeah, he's definitely off. It may be something serious, or it may be something as simple as him needing a couple chiropractic adjustments. One of the horses at the barn will get short behind when his pelvis goes out. A vet will be able to give you a better idea of what will help him.

Comment

Yea, he looks about 2+ to 3 outta 5 lame. I would like to see a video of him going in the other direction though to confirm.

Comment

He doesn't look even but that isn't why you fell off or why he spun around. He just looks fresh and unschooled. He came into the fence looking really fresh and tight.

Comment

He isn't forward enough to the fence so on the landing side he stops and bucks (I think you catch him a bit in the face which might not be helping).

If he is sound you need to be going forward to your fence so that he jumps across and not up. You also need to be forward on landing. So give him a smooch, put your leg on immedietly, and gallop on. This works if your leg is secure and under you and you have a proper fold that keeps you down in the saddle without jumping ahead.
                              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is this horse a saddlebred? He looks sore on the left hock to me in the little amount of tape but a horse that can stop dead in his tracks and pulls those antics is probably sound. Frankly he looks lit and not at all broke enough to be jumping. His head is stuck in the air and you are far to loose to ride that horse over jumps.

Definitely get a trainer to put the jump on that horse so you dont get hurt....ps, that horse was very good at what he did which makes me think he has a history of this crap

Comment

Sorry you fell off. That horse was no where near ready to jump. Totally not paying attention and definitely looked very fresh to me.

You crawled up his neck about 3 strides before the jump and he just didn't know what to do. The spin was kind of "naughty" to me...

My friends call me a broken record...no jumping until your horse is broke, broke, broke. Lucky you, you have dressage background! Make sure the horse follows directions no matter what on the flat, before you jump anything.

Take your time, get balanced and confident, then have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by donkeyman View Post
                                    Is this horse a saddlebred? He looks sore on the left hock to me in the little amount of tape but a horse that can stop dead in his tracks and pulls those antics is probably sound. Frankly he looks lit and not at all broke enough to be jumping. His head is stuck in the air and you are far to loose to ride that horse over jumps.

Definitely get a trainer to put the jump on that horse so you dont get hurt....ps, that horse was very good at what he did which makes me think he has a history of this crap
                                    My horse was VERY lame and would do all sorts of amazing gymnastics and airs above the ground cause he was on stall rest for months!

Comment

You can analyze it all you want personally, but I feel like the bottom line is that he wasn't listening to you at ALL coming into the fence. If you're going to do any jumping on your own, incorporate ground poles into your dressage/flatwork but with a horse looking to do something dumb like that, I wouldn't jump without a trainer on the ground so you don't lose your confidence and get lost in a downward spiral of fear/misbehavior. It's pretty easy to start second-guessing your every move over the jump, when what you really need is solid flatwork, an obedient horse, and a smack on the ass for him when he spins around like that. It's a teeny jump. You should be able to have a small seizure over a jump like that and he STILL shouldn't go off like he did. JMHO, take it or leave it.
                                      Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

He looks off to me too.

He was very sticky going into that fence. You should've circled him and got him going forward a lot more.

Hope you're not too sore!
                                        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                        X