• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Am I out of touch??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out of touch??

Forgive me if I am out of line here. But I really want a consumers point of view. I have a little shop I run myself. With the economy to keep prices low I have dropped my inventory down. I had a customer order something. I did not have it in stock. She needed it by the 11th. I called the company that makes them. They had one left. I seized it. However they were doing their inventory and would not ship until Monday. I notified customer immediately. Told her I would get an exact ship date. Called the company back set up two day air at my cost to get this item to the customer by the 10th. Notified customer. I get an email back saying she has never had to wait so long for shipping and cancel the entire order after myself and the manufacturer busted butts to find a way to get it to her on time. She ordered on the 2nd and did not note expedited shipping. Am I wrong in being upset? Total time from order would have been at most ten days. Had I had it in stock it would have shipped within 24 hours. What do you expect when ordering online?? If this had been you would you feel the same as the customer?? How long is too long and do you feel better when youre notified personally of out of stocks or back orders?? Sorry for the long post but I really want to provide the best service. I thought I did the right thing.
    www.justalilbittack.com

Seems to me you went above and beyond the call of duty.
    Took extra steps to get the item..... kept customer aprised of the sitch.... spent money of your own to make sure customer got what she wanted, when he wanted..... got it before the "deadline".
    Next time she calls, you don't have to be so accomodating. Or make her pay ahead of time, at least.
    Inhale-- exhale-- You're the good egg.
    KD

Comment

You definitely did the right thing, and then some! There are just some people who expect immediate gratification from everything & are out primarily for themselves. Your commitment to service is admirable - not everyone cares as much. I would do business with you

Comment

I too have a small tack and feed store and have done the same as you have to get an item in for customer that I am out of or do not usually carry. I felt bad when I had to start asking for deposits on special orders. It was the only way I could ensure that the customer was really going to be back to pick up the item. Even then, I have been stuck with things that have not been picked up, and are not items that I usually sell. I have actually taken to selling off items on Ebay so that I could make up the money I would have lost if I let the item sit in the store unsold.
        And it hurts even more when you have gone the extra mile to ensure getting in the item on time for someone. You did all the right things to keep your customer informed and happy, but some will never be happy.
        Keep up the good work.
        J.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, thank you all very, very much. Yes she did get free shipping so I was actually loosing money on the whole thing. I just thought maybe I was crazy and this is how business is done elsewhere. Again thank you all for your responses. I can stop stressing now
          www.justalilbittack.com

Comment

It does sound like you really bent over backwards to accommodate this customer.

But - can you see the situation from the customer's point of view as well?

I don't know what this item was, and I do think it makes a difference. If you are ordering a piece of custom tack, well - that kind of thing is rarely in stock and you'd expect to wait for a special order. But if the item was something a bit more commonplace, then you might expect to find it in stock, or at least fairly readily available. You can call it needing instant gratification, I suppose, but in this day and age, when consumers have so many choices to shop a variety of outlets, it's just part of doing business.

If I order something from a tack shop in the US, I wouldn't expect to have to pay expedited shipping to have it arrive 9 days later. Even with a day or two to get it in the mail, that would be enough time for a package to reach me even sending it clear across the country via ground service. Heck, I order fairly frequently from a tack shop in the UK, and routinely have my items in 2-3 business days (with no extra shipping charges, just their normal and very reasonable fee.)

If this was something you'd normally stock, and that the customer would reasonably expect you to have on a shelf... I'm not sure they behaved so poorly. Yes, it would have been nice for them to recognize that you tried hard to get the item and meet their deadline, but they might have been unsure you'd get it there on time, and preferred to get it faster in order to be sure.

I totally recognize that you tried very hard to satisfy your customer and I am *not* suggesting you did anything wrong, just pointing out that the world may look a bit different from the customer's POV.
            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I'd say Luccassb and I are pretty much on the same page.

Was the item something that you normally had in stock before so there was an assumption of it being available now? Or was this an item that you have never carried and so it was truly a special order?

Was it something showed online or in an ad, which would lead the customer to think that it was in stock?

To me, these are subtle but important differences.

There is an assumption on the consumer's part that if an item is shown in a catalog or online, it is readily available; this is quite unlike the expectations with a "real" store, where the consumer generally can choose from whatever limited stock is on the shelf and may be able to special order something (usually paying part or all of the cost upfront). The average consumer gets a little peeved when a product shown for sale on a website or in a catalog -- and especially an ad -- isn't available.

As a customer, I understand that back orders happen. But it still makes me cranky. Also, as far as shipping times, again, it depends on what the item is, where it's coming from and whether it's a special order, but for the most part, anything I order online is generally on my doorstep in a few days and seldom more than a week later (except for one big-name catalog company whose name will never darken my lips or credit card again ).

I shop through catalogs and online because I **can** get a wider selection of items and often at better prices than my local "real" tack stores. But it's usually not worth it to me to buy something online if there will be a delay before I get it. Now, sure, I **know** that a special order -- monogramming, color designs, special leather -- will take longer; but if a "standard-issue" item is shown in a catalog or on a website, again, there is an expectation that it's available and ready to be bought and sent.

It sounds like you went above and beyond for your customer, which is GREAT and you're to be applauded for that. Still, clearly something went wrong in the communication between the two of you; I wonder if the customer thought your store/website is a bigger venture than it is and thus thought that the item was sitting in a warehouse. If that were the case, then I can see the customer's POV.
              Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Comment

It's the internet's fault.

Sorry this happened to you!

You are making a good decision to keep inventory low when you still need to pay rent, employees, taxes whether or not we are buying.

And you are put in a hard position by the possibility that the consumer can get their stuff elsewhere, pronto, or believes she can.

As another poster pointed out, many of us have generally lost faith in our local tack stores because they have cut other corners in terms of customer service.

What to do? Keep trying to offer something that generates loyalty in your customers. While that didn't pan out in this case, it may be generating repeat business in others. Try to please those customers worth pleasing. There are some of us out there who remember special efforts made and will come back for that reason alone.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                  What to do? Keep trying to offer something that generates loyalty in your customers. While that didn't pan out in this case, it may be generating repeat business in others. Try to please those customers worth pleasing. There are some of us out there who remember special efforts made and will come back for that reason alone.
                  Absolutely. I go out of my way to patronize businesses that provide a higher level of customer service. In this day and age, sometimes that's the only thing that distinguishes you from the competition. Good for you.

Comment

If it's something I could get in 2-3 days by ordering online, and I 'needed' it, I would have a hard time justifying waiting 10 days to buy through my local tack shop --

Saturday my trainer mentioned a bit that he had ordered Friday at a local shop -- They told him it would take 2-3 weeks to get in -- He asked if I could get it faster online -- I checked, and it can be ordered directly from the manufacturer online -- If he's willing to spend $25 on overnight shipping, he could have the bit on Tuesday since it will not ship until Monday -- Even if he chooses the free ground shipping, the bit would take no more than 5 days to ship --

I'm guessing the tack shop is dealing with a distributor or just tells everyone '2-3 weeks' for everything -- When the customer can get the item overnight by ordering online from the manufacturer, '2-3 weeks' doesn't cut it --

OP, I do see that you bent over backwards to provide good service -- One of my best friends used to run a tack shop, and I know the efforts she made on special orders -- I do wonder if this customer was able to find the item in stock elsewhere --
                    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

• Original Poster

It was an item that I had just ran out of and the company that makes them (breeches) seriously only had one pair left. If I had shipped them out in 24-48 hours with the ground shipping she had chosen she still, with the holiday would not have gotten them until the 7th. So I choose to have the company 2nd day air them to her with them still arriving on the 7th. (east to west coast) The biggest problem now is not only are shops keeping their items down but makers of items have also cut production. It makes it very hard. Backorders are the highest I have ever seen. I do not like to wait either. I notified the customer right away and was still going to get it to her on time. I too want my stuff as fast as possible. I just thought she would be more appreciative that I had done all that to still get them to her before she needed them. I guess it felt like a slap in the face is all. Most of the time I get things to customers in a couple days. When out of stocks happen I still can usually do it in a week to ten days. Its when there is a nationwide backorder that things get bad, but at that point you wont find in anywhere else anyway. You may not notice these days but a lot of online tack shops are drop shipping to save money. Its just not possible in todays world to keep every size of every color of every item. We would go bankrupt. Thank you all again. Its nice to get this feedback.
                      www.justalilbittack.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beezer View Post
                        I shop through catalogs and online because I **can** get a wider selection of items and often at better prices than my local "real" tack stores. But it's usually not worth it to me to buy something online if there will be a delay before I get it. Now, sure, I **know** that a special order -- monogramming, color designs, special leather -- will take longer; but if a "standard-issue" item is shown in a catalog or on a website, again, there is an expectation that it's available and ready to be bought and sent.
                        This is what I am looking for. I think that people generally assume that when shopping online they think that everything they are seeing is sitting on that stores shelf. I can tell you that is not the case except for maybe Dover and my stuff from them always takes like two weeks to arrive. I dont think that many people think that the store offers everything a maker has but does not necessarily carry it all. I stock the popular colors and popular sizes. I know a few other online shops much bigger than me do the same. It used to be when someone orders something we dont have, we call that vendor, drop ship and the customer never notices anything. Now, like Irideon as an example. Half the time I call the item is on backorder. Production is down everywhere. Saddles are the worst! Its the times, I know, and it will get better. But I do see now that the expecations are still there and I will have to be careful and maybe drop some items off the site altogether and just do what is popular.
                        www.justalilbittack.com

Comment

Working...
                        X