• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tailored Sportsman Britches gone bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailored Sportsman Britches gone bad?

Has anyone else ever had the problem with the Tailored Sportsman Low Rise Breeches? My like 4 month old britches are like "blown out" in the crotch area. The elastic has like pilled up like fleece does almost and caused the material to become very misshapen. I've had this happen with Ariats before but never Tailoreds. Anyone else?

They are only $130 for a reason....

They aren't quite as saggybooty/diaperbutt as the Ariats, but since its a cheap cotton material-yes, it is bound to happen.

How do you wash them? Mine lasted a good year or two before I had any sag.

Comment

Are they the 4 way stretch? Mine have like pulls (like a wool sweater would do) but its the elastic. All by the crotch, inseem of pants.
      P=N
      If you run out of patience, you run out of nice.

Comment

A couple pairs of mine did that. My favorite colors had huge holes in the crotch area after about a year of use which I thought was great longevity for $130 breeches that I basically abused. Other pairs that I've used just as hard are going on 2 years old now with no holes so I'm not sure what causes that. My BO lost a pair after only 2 months so I do have to wonder about quality control at the manufacturing plant.

Comment

I think is depends on the color. I have a pair of sage green that I have had for 3 years and have used them hard and they have really held up, they are my favorites. My dark green pair I have not used as much and the crouch is going. I love my TS and have a few pairs in mult colors.

Comment

If I buy TS I know they will only last one season. Riding multiple horses a day, I definitely ride right through those suckers.

I suggest buying Pikeurs. Yes they are over double the price but I have a pair that I've been using for 8 YEARS now and they are still going strong.

But the TS do come in some fun colors, so every now and then I'll get another pair.

Comment

• Original Poster

Fortunately Dover said that they would replace them, but i'd had them for like .. 3-4 months and washed them on cold in the machine and hung dry them. I didnt expect to get too much use out of them, but, I'd only worn them say... a dozen times? maybe washed half a dozen? So I was pretty appalled that they gave out thattttt quick.

Comment

So much so, I no longer will buy them. It's very irritating because the first pair I bought about 4 years ago are still usable....But, all of the others wear out at various lengths of time. I wholeheartedly disagree that that is what you should expect for $130. Absolutely NOT. If I pay $130, I should expect to get more use out of them than a couple of months to a year. I found the tan ones split within 3-4 months. It really depresses me beucase I love the colors. But, I speak with my pocket book. I will no longer buy them.

Comment

WHen did $130.00 become cheap

I expect any breeches over $80.00 to have some grit----
                  My TS browns have been great -- but my new grey trophys are saggy in the euro seat--

Comment

I wholeheartedly disagree that that is what you should expect for $130. Absolutely NOT. If I pay $130, I should expect to get more use out of them than a couple of months to a year.
                    '

Agree. Sorry. If Tuffrider can make cotton breeches for under $50 that hold up, there's no excuse for a pair that cost more than 2X as much to fall apart.

That being said, I've had pairs of TS that have lasted for YEARS, though none of them were of the cotton variety.
                    ---
                    They're small hearts.

Comment

I've had three pairs.

The first had that problem. They wore away at the crotch pretty quickly, the fronts of them pilled and the knee patches wore through. I'd say I wore them probably 25 times. Maybe I could have paid more attention to their care, but overall, they probably weren't the best made pair.

The second pair I had were the 240 dollar kind, which I got for a steal. They were great- unfortunately I only wore them about three times before my puppy got a hold of them and made some tailored sportsman confetti

I have a pair now which I haven't worn that much, but seem to be holding up pretty well, I think it is probably related to the plant or something....

Comment

I wore a hole in the crotch of my trophys. VERY SAD!!! Im def. going to invest in some pikeurs. I have friends that abuse them (10+ horses a day sometimes) and they are still going strong. My TS trophies barely lasted a season, and I only rode 1-3 a day. I wish there was a middle ground.

Comment

"Only" $130????? For a pair of "schooling" breeches? And we wonder why people think this is a rich man's sport? Honestly!!!!

If Tuff Riders can make $40 breeches that have lasted me...oh, near 5-6 years riding 1-5 horses daily, you'd think I should be able to expect that a pair of breeches three times the price to last more than a summer of riding.

No, this sport is not a rich person's sport...we just wear $130 breeches and $400 helmets to practice in and expect those clothes to wear out in the matter of a few short months. Yeah. Makes total sense.
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

ONLY $130?? Yeah ok I don't even pay that much for my Lucky Brand jeans anymore.

If I pay that much, the stupid things better at least last more than a season.

The first pair of low rise trophy hunters I bought last year first pilled and then wore out in the crotch. I take very good care of them - I have a front load washer, and I did them on delicate and air dry them.

I just bought another pair, and they seem to be a little thicker/sturdier fabric so we will see what happens.
                            "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

Two things...

"Only" $130 ? Since when is $130 for a pair of trousers cheap?

And, yes, my second pair of TS low rise have done this.

Unacceptable, and it definitely takes them off my list of breeches I will buy.

I dislike the feel of the expensive TS breeches, realize that they will wear like iron, but, I have Pikeur breeches with a much nicer feel (for me) that hold up exceptionally well. The one pair that I finally had to retire was about 13 years old and were basically threadbare...and for 5 of those years, they were my favorite pair of breeches that got worn for almost all my rides.

Comment

Gosh, I've got a pair of TS the low rise and the thinner summer ones in tan and I've abused them like you couldn't imagine, washed millions of times, even been thru the dryer almost as much. Those guys are almost on their third year and no pilling or even the beginning of wear in the crotch. I've ridden 5 horses a day at sometimes. Atleast 3 each time and I hop on the naughty ones, ridden in countless saddles, nothings stopping those guys and they were just over 100. My show pants are the TS low rise in beige (of course) and those have seen the dryer a handful of times and are almost at one year with no damage. It could be that those have only seen my nice soft 2008 butet. Either way, I get years of use out of mine, the only time I had to buy more was back when I was a kid and growing out of them.
                                "Fifty years from now when you're looking back at your life don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get back on that horse?"

Comment

I haven't had problems with the TS britches yet, but I won't buy their shirts because they are so cheaply made I had one fall apart after 2 washes.

Comment

I've noticed this happening with a couple pairs of mine, but I've had them quite a while and they get abused on the regular.

That said I think I'm an RJ Classics convert
                                    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

The TS cotton schoolers (95% cotton, 5% stretchy, abour $120 or so) are notorious for this. Some people have good luck with them (like tall boot zippers, I suppose!) but as far as my experience and that of most of the other girls at my barn, we no longer buy them. Most of us won't get anything that's not a microfiber of some kind. Sure, the Professionals cost about twice as much, but they last WAY more than twice as long. Plus I've found other less-popular brands of microfiber britches for about the cost of the TS schoolers or less.

So no more schoolers for me, no matter HOW cute the colors are.
                                      Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                                      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

breeches

Anyone who has a complaint on the TS breeches, can email the company and they will help you out. I have had mine forever and never had a problem, but a friend of mine emailed the company and they were very accomodating...

Comment

Working...
                                        X