• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

You can do anything you set your mind to... except the A/O jumpers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can do anything you set your mind to... except the A/O jumpers...

I'm writing under an alter because it's been hard enough to admit this to myself, let alone anyone I may know.

After the last few days of horse showing, it finally hit me like a truck today that the goal I had set for myself and my horse (the A/Os) is never ever going to happen. It seems like we've been getting closer and closer to getting everything ironed out and it just keeps unravelling. My horse is wonderful and has the athletic ability to jump 5' easy, but is by no means an easy horse to ride. But I just keep slipping into anxiety attacks before I ride, the product of having a sand foundation for my jumper career from a bad and clueless trainer and a weak will to go somewhere else. My current trainer and previous trainer have both been wonderful in working with me and helping me with technical/mechanical things.

I'm just so sad and frustrated that the A/A jumpers is probably where we will stay due to my own shortcomings as a rider. I don't know what exactly I want to hear (I've waffled between wanting others to join my pity party and wanting someone to tell me get over it/stop being a whiny brat and keep plowing through), but if you could share your stories of similar situations, maybe I'll become ok with this new idea. I just had all these lofty goals of A/O classics and maybe a mini-prix or blackjack competition and I think that's been half my problem - focusing on where I want to be/could have been instead of what actually is.

Any words of wisdom?

Perhaps you can give yourself a little more time, before throwing in the towel?
    I know what anxiety can do to a rider in the show ring, maybe you're expecting too much too fast.
    Take a deep breath and think about what you need to do.
    It sounds like your horse is capable of doing the A/O jumpers, but your negative thinking is holding you back.
    Why are you anxious, is it the fear of failure, safety, or perhaps you want it so badly that you're putting undue pressure on yourself?
    How do you ride at home, are you as anxious?

Comment

See a sports psychologist?
      Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Comment

I've been working on my confidence issues for 3+ years. It's gotten better, but not better enough.
        At home I'm ok, less pressure, but it's not like a night/day type of thing.. it's a constant source of anxiety. I don't think it's a safety issue, I definitely think it stems from a fear of failure type thing...

Mortebella - I've been working with a psychologist since Oct. because as you can imagine, this definitely isn't just a riding thing

Comment

You have to decide what is most important to you.
          If it's doing the a/o, there is probably a horse out there on which you can do it semi-successfully. There are plenty of people out there with a great horse who are just happy to complete the course. Or you can go to shows where the a/o is set so darn low that it's the same height as the adults at the bigger shows. You can go home and tell everyone you did the a/o and not mention that all the jumps were 3'9".
          But, if what is important to you is enjoying the horse you have, or riding better, then you need to focus on being as good as you can possibly be in the division for which you are most suitable. Being the constant winner in the a/a division says more than being a constant also-ran in the a/o division.
          There is absolutely no way you can do that though if you're constantly trying to prove something to yourself about being "good enough" to move up. You will consistantly choke instead of riding consistantly. When you've been winning for a long time, and beating everyone is becoming embarrassing, then you can consider moving up. Until then, focus on winning. This is a lifetime sport. You may not be ready at this time with this horse, but chances are you're not so old that it's "never going to happen".

Comment

Have you thought about leasing a BTDT horse to build your confidence?

No matter how athletic/great/amazing a horse is, until they have shown at that height, they are green at that height. The A/O jumps are nothing to sneeze at, and until you get a feel for that size of a jump in a competition you are also a green rider. The combination of a green horse and green rider is enough to make anyone have an anxiety attack.

If there was any way to get a pro to ride your horse at that level, while at the same time leasing a horse that has successfully shown well beyond the A/Os (maybe something coming down off the Prixs), I bet you'd find yourself in a much better place in 6 months.

It's definitely a stiff investment to go that route, but now would be the right time to do it. Give it 6 months to a year and you might find yourself feeling much more comfortable in the ring with YOUR horse.
            My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

What’s the rush? This isnt your last year riding as a Jr, right? This is your goal as an adult.
              Could you spend a few months doing the Modifieds and then try doing the A/O's at smaller shows? There are plenty of small A shows that offer A/O jumper classics that aren’t set at the real height. That might help you settle into the division and get over the feeling of "OMG, I am riding in the A/O jumper classic". Maybe a year of smaller classics will help calm your nerves and get you used to the "feel" of the class without jumping the actual height and answering the questions of a real level 6 course.

Doing the A/O's might take longer then you expected but that doesn’t mean you should give up...Also, try not to beat yourself up, if you dont believe in yourself then who will? Remember, you have gotten this far and that alone is an accomplishment

Comment

I've gone back and forth myself with this very same issue. Except I'm stuck in the 3' jumpers and I will never be a REAL rider until I've competed at 3'6". That's what everyone says right? There shouldn't even be classes at the A shows under 3'6". Well the nagging voice in my head appears to agree with them. If you're like me then putting all of that pressure on yourself is NOT HELPING. Here's my story...

I did the 3' jumpers fairly successfully for 2 years with my older horse who wasn't physically able to do the 3'6" (well at least not while having to make up for all the mistakes I would inevitably make). I sold him and got a 3'6" jumper who I didn't realize at the time was WAY TOO MUCH HORSE for me. She did the polite thing and carted my butt over a 3'9" oxer when I tried her, but then promptly ran away with me at 2'6" after a month at my barn when she realized I didn't have the skills to stop her!

I ended up taking a summer off from showing and getting her some pro rides while I figured her out. The next summer we were ready to go...in the 3' jumpers...as usual. While I could school 3'6" at home I wasn't consistent enough to dare try it at a show. I beat myself up about it a lot until I realized I was ruining riding for myself. So what if I don't show 3'6"? Who am I trying to prove myself too? I was so stressed out about HAVING to jump 3'6" that I was literally making it impossible for me to attain.

Now I'm not sure how you're going to feel about the ending of my story, but here it is. As it happens, things change in life. I made a career change that resulted in a pay cut and won't allow me to have the funds to show for several years. So now I've taken my "fancy" show horse that I bought to move up to the REAL jumpers and put her in a more low-key non-showing barn for the prime of her showing years.

Will I ever show the A/A's? I don't know. All I do know is that at this time, with this horse, for whatever reason, it didn't work out. I do know that I love my horse dearly and I have learned so much from her that it cannot possibly have been time wasted on the road to my goal. I also know that we are incredibly fortunate to be participants of a sport where age is not necessarily a limiting factor and because of that I have many many years to make another run at it.

Take a step back and evaluate why you want to do the A/Os, do you want it for yourself or to prove yourself to others? Are you enjoying your riding and your horse or does every ride end in frustration at your own short comings? We spend far too much money on this sport to be made miserable by it. Find a way to enjoy it again and everything else will fall into place.

Comment

The first step to getting through something is admitting it's there.
                  I have been going through something similar after I shattered my wrist 2 1/2 years ago.
                  Wasn't even jumping when I did it (but was galloping/foxhunting at a pretty good clip)
                  but after too many years riding problem horses and dirty stoppers it was the straw for the poor camel and totally shattered my confidence.
                  I used to show in the AA's and Childrens Jumpers in the late 80s early 90s and had never had an issue with jumping as far as fear or confidence, but for me to admit that I was actually afraid of a small vertical now was very very very hard, as i have always been a never let 'em see you sweat kind of person.
                  But at the risk of ruining my then coming 4 year old's confidence I had to face the dragon, admit my fear and start working through it, after I was healed.
                  Admit your fear or whatever you want to call it, stay where you are comfortable for awhile, til you are bored as someone else said, and winning consistently, and then it is time to move up. Start moving up at home and see how it goes, when you're ready, and then move up at shows.
                  You have nothing to prove.
                  Work through it at your own pace, enjoy your horse and have fun. Honestly, AA's are nothing to poopoo at. That is very respectable. And really this is all about having fun.
                  I think once you stop putting so much pressure on yourself the problem will begin to resolve itself. I know it has for me.

You CAN do anything you set you mind to. Anything worth having is worth working for, you can do it. Maybe not right now, or exactly when you want to, but you can do it.
                  Now get to work
                  "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Originally posted by ColorMeAlter View Post
                    I'm writing under an alter because it's been hard enough to admit this to myself, let alone anyone I may know.

After the last few days of horse showing, it finally hit me like a truck today that the goal I had set for myself and my horse (the A/Os) is never ever going to happen. It seems like we've been getting closer and closer to getting everything ironed out and it just keeps unravelling. My horse is wonderful and has the athletic ability to jump 5' easy, but is by no means an easy horse to ride. But I just keep slipping into anxiety attacks before I ride, the product of having a sand foundation for my jumper career from a bad and clueless trainer and a weak will to go somewhere else. My current trainer and previous trainer have both been wonderful in working with me and helping me with technical/mechanical things.

I'm just so sad and frustrated that the A/A jumpers is probably where we will stay due to my own shortcomings as a rider. I don't know what exactly I want to hear (I've waffled between wanting others to join my pity party and wanting someone to tell me get over it/stop being a whiny brat and keep plowing through), but if you could share your stories of similar situations, maybe I'll become ok with this new idea. I just had all these lofty goals of A/O classics and maybe a mini-prix or blackjack competition and I think that's been half my problem - focusing on where I want to be/could have been instead of what actually is.

Any words of wisdom?
                    OMG... I was totally in your shoes last year. I kept asking for flatwork lessons and asking HOW do I get better at this. Mostly I just heard "when you learn to use your leg, when you learn to do xyz" All the blame went on me and it was excruciating! I even burst into tears at a show out of frustration.

What changed you say???? Well... I found a dressage trainer who is helping me to ride correctly. Teaching me how to use my seat and my leg and how to control all 4 feet of my horse! It's fantastic. We school over fences in my dressage lessons and the difference in my riding and my horses is astounding, no one would believe it unless they'd been there with me all along. I can control his entire body, his track, his pace, the length & rhythm of his stride.... now the size of the jump is inconsequential. I've always known he was a good horse and had a ton of jump but I couldn't get it all together.

Don't give up, just look to make some changes!
                    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

you know TR, that's funny! I did almost the same thing. In addition to my hunter trainer (who is great and has helped me tons) this summer I started also working with an eventing trainer. I've had several lessons with her, all flatwork and dressage stuff, not even much cantering really. But I have learned so much from her and the difference in both of us is amazing. It surprises me that after my lessons with her I am exhausted, but I learn so much. And it has really helped.
                      So sometimes you don't have to give up, you just have to take a turn in the road.
                      "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegermonster View Post
                        you know TR, that's funny! I did almost the same thing. In addition to my hunter trainer (who is great and has helped me tons) this summer I started also working with an eventing trainer. I've had several lessons with her, all flatwork and dressage stuff, not even much cantering really. But I have learned so much from her and the difference in both of us is amazing. It surprises me that after my lessons with her I am exhausted, but I learn so much. And it has really helped.
                        So sometimes you don't have to give up, you just have to take a turn in the road.

Ya, a turn in the road... you've got to enjoy the road your on, cause that's all you got.....

I'm sure if I didn't keep my horses at home, and wasn't such a no talent hack, my road would be different.... but I'm having fun! And ultimately, that's what matters, isn't it?
                        Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

You should read the book "The secrets and method of a great champion" by Michel Robert. It is fantastic, and deals with a lot of mental issues as well as riding/training issues. It has really changed the way I think about riding in competition and training!

Edited to add: I know reading a book can't "cure" mental issues, but it might help a little.

Comment

You know, there's nothing like a broke horse to make you confident in the jumper ring. Jaegermonster and Tidy-R are really onto something here.

Make sure your trainers' standards are high for your flat work. The goal is not to jump bigger faster, right? Make sure you all agree.

Learn to enjoy the flat work. You will feel like you can really ride, and perhaps get that bored "let's DO SOMETHING" attitude that will help you progress.

This was how it worked for me. I had lots of anxiety about moving up because I don't own an ambitious and athletic one. I was also always on my own, so I tend to feel responsible for making sure that my one horse never gets hurt. If he does, it will be all my fault and I'll be SOL.

But I had a great time moving up and was sure I had done the right thing when I went into came out of a round saying "Damn. I can put this horse anywhere I want, just like I can on the flat."

So make that your goal-- having a rideable horse in every ride, then at every level and every show. Sooner or later, you'll want to bring all that to the A/Os, too. And you know what? This is your horse, your hobby, your project, so its entirely your call.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Ditto the above.

I had a similar issue as a kid after owning a very dirty stopper. Went from doing the 4ft jumpers to being afraid of a novice hunter class. Bottom line is that you have to change your self talk. Look into a few sports psychology books (many are specifically aimed at riders) and start implementing their visualization/self talk techniques. I thought it was kind of silly when my trainer first had me do it but it really worked. I did my first high jr jumper class at the end of that same year and although I still have anxiety issues I know how to compartementalize them now and ride as if I don't. Another thing that helped (and still helps with certain horses) was keeping a riding journal so that I could look back on it when I was feeling discouraged and see that we HAD made progress in the last week/month/x time despite a rough patch.

Comment

I wish I had your situation. I get nervous/anxious when I do the .8 meters and I've been at that level for about 5-6 years. If I'm ever ok with doing 3' or 3'6" classes I'll be doing cartwheels.

Comment

And jump on Jane Savoie's bandwagon! She has some amazingly helpful stuff' on her website/newsletter/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
                                    I wish I had your situation. I get nervous/anxious when I do the .8 meters and I've been at that level for about 5-6 years. If I'm ever ok with doing 3' or 3'6" classes I'll be doing cartwheels.
                                    HAHA!! i am so proud of my newly-mastered CANTER WORK with my tb!!

Comment

How long have you been doing the 3'6" for? I did the 3'6" for four and a half years before moving up, and trust me, I definitely thought that I would never jump anything bigger than 3'6" after doing it for that long. By the time I did move up, I had a very solid foundation, so the bigger jumps were not much of a challenge. I ended up jumping some large international-level GPs.

Focus on what you're doing now, and how you can become the winner in the A/As (and to be the consistent winner at that level, you have to be able to ride well-- it's not about running around as fast as possible, as I'm sure you know). Learn how to ride the technical bits of the course, and how to make the good turns. When you're cruising around the hardest courses at that level, start jumping a bit bigger at home. It's good to have ambitions and goals, but you also have to be able to focus on the task at hand, which is doing the best you can at what you're doing right now to establish a solid foundation that you can build upon later.

Comment

It's good to have ambitions and goals, but you also have to be able to focus on the task at hand, which is doing the best you can at what you're doing right now to establish a solid foundation that you can build upon later.
                                        Agree.

This is supposed to be FUN.

If you're overfacing yourself, or worried, it's quite likely that it isn't fun. Remind yourself of that - your horse doesn't care if she never does the AO jumpers, she wants a sympathetic ride, proper care, and good food. Goals are fine, but if we focus too much on "achieving a BIG goal" sometimes we forget about whats in front of us, or we look at the big picture (AO jumpers) without focusing on the micro-goals (successfully and correctly jumping the 4' course in front of us).

For me, I try to enjoy the "process" as much as I enjoy meeting a goal. I remind myself that I'm here to have fun, and my horse doesn't care when we get there, so I set some easily attainable goals and some hopeful goals each season. This way, I can mark some progress, but I don't beat myself up if I can't meet the ones that were a bit of a stretch anyway. And if I do get there, I'm really happy!
                                        ---
                                        They're small hearts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X