• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you feel about grass rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about grass rings?

Our club has an outside grass course. Some of the members think we need to get rid of it and put something else in.

I'm arguing for keeping it. First, I think it gives us an edge - how many places can you go and ride a nice outside course on grass these days? Also, we offer driving at some of our shows - it's a good surface for those classes.

You can see pictures if you go to the link in my siggie and click on the showgrounds link on the home page.

Any opinions?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I LOVE grass rings when the weather is good! We ride a lot on grass in Alberta and as long as you have caulks in shod feet they are much more fun to ride in than plain, old boring sand rings! It's also good to have one to practice on, as if you go to a show on grass and your horse has never been on grass, it can feel different to them!

Keep the grass ring & tell them to stuff it!!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

I hate grass rings when it rains. I much prefer a sand ring with nice drainage. I do love riding on grass though, I think it's fun. As long as I've looked through and know there are no holes
      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I LOVE a grass ring, as long as it's not too wet. Your grass course looks great!

Comment

I prefer a grass ring anyday (assuming it's dry and well kept).

Comment

I love riding on grass and would vote that you try and preserve yours, there are too few of them around any more, at least in my area.

Comment

i hate grass rings. just not enough good conditions to make it fun.
              too wet, too slippery
              and too dry, way too hard.
              i had a bad experience in a grass ring. horse went to jump and his hind end slipped out from under him and he fell down at the base of the jump.
              sand is just so much more useable!

Comment

Grass rings are wonderful when there is an additional option in case of inclement weather.

If it is your only option, it can be a royal pain to wait for weeks while the ring dries out, because the footing will stay wet longer after is has stopped raining.

That said, in good weather I will choose a grass field everytime.

I grew up riding in places that had indoors and tons of grass areas to ride and did not really do sand rings until I started riding places that did not have the space for a big grass field.
                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I know that ring I think it looks great, and I remember one over in Mechanicsburg near the TPK and that was great also. Quentin had a great one that we used for the Hunter classes over fences - 3'6" divisions. Even with the Green horses, we didn't have problems and we didn't have studs either. The drainage was great, and they spent a great deal of time keeping the rings up. In VA we had lots of grass rings at the A shows as well. Warrenton, Keswick, U'ville, Rosemont. Of course this was during the dinosauer age, but we loved them. They were running outside course classes then.

I think as long as the areas are graded, drained, tiled and cared for properly they are much nicer than some of the sand/stonedust rings I've ridden in. Not every show or barn can afford perfect footing, and even when they have it, if it's not taken care of it can be hard as a highway and bad for the horses.

I have had both. At my former place I spent a great deal of money getting the tiling, base, footing and kept it dragged and taken care of, and it took lots of time, but it was a really nice arena. Now I have a large 20x60 meter grass arena. I am still very careful about keeping it up and not using it when it has been a torrential downpour for the day(s). It is tiled, and it has never been under water, and I do have other fields to ride in that I keep mowed and cared for so it's like riding on a lawn.

One of the benefits of having a grass arena is that when I go to a show where there is a perfectly level area with Perma Flex footing or great footing, it's a breeze for us, and one less thing we have to focus on. (the surface of my arena is level but the entire area has a bit of a slope-to me a plus that has helped us learn to balance and engage and collect more easily).

Fortunately I can take care of my arena, and fields, and don't have potholes or divots and am in an area where the grass is nice and thick and the turf is old and established. In five years I've never had to irrigate or sprinkle the arena because we've had a dry spell and it's been too hard to ride in.

We have a well-known event and CIC** in our area that has grass arenas. I've ridden in all of them. They are all grass. They were always lovely and never hard or pitted. The stadium was in a field on the side of a hill and also on grass. It's all in how you take care of the footing.

Just another opinion.

Comment

I absolutely love grass rings. I would take a nice grass ring over sand any day for most months out of the year. That said, it has to be well-drained, mowed, and obviously during the rainy months a sand ring is preferable. I think it's a lot more fun to ride on grass, and of course my horses prefer it too. As long as people pay attention to the conditions it should be fine. I've had two horses' hind ends go out from underneath them while jumping courses on grass after rain, but we probably shouldn't have ridden on it while it was a little slick or put studs on. As long as riders and show organizers are cognizant of that, it probably will give riders a little chance to get out of a sand ring (*gasp*). I find it funny when people hate riding in them at all -- what about trail riding? Do you ever jump jumps outside of a sand ring? Cross country? Anything like that? Like all riding that takes place with unpredictable footing, you have to pay attention to conditions. Just takes some awareness and of course being choosey on certain days.
                    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Comment

LOVE a WELL MAINTAINED grass ring when the weather is nice and the grass is not wet or too slippery. and when there are not mud patches or holes. (hence, well maintained) i can't see the pics, but i'll give the benefit of the doubt since the rest of the pics suggest you run a nice place so i'll assume you have a nice grass ring. i really enjoy riding on grass when the weather is perfect and when the grass is maintained (no holes, cut to a good length, good drainage, no weird uneven spots--a slope is fine, but to have little mini hills and seriously uneven spots can be dangerous)

however, whenever there is a lot of rain the week before/days before, or the day of, i HATE HATE HATE showing on grass. i will make exceptions and suck it up, only if it looks safe enough. usually that means i'll go ahead and show if it's a very hot day (hot enough that there is almost no water left in the grass and such, i will tolerate a few muddy spots as long as they're avoidable) but if the grass is slippery? hell no! not worth the risk, to me.

that being said, i don't know what the climate of your location is. is it very rainy? very humid? or is it more of a dry heat in the summer? if it rains more than most places, i would honestly suggest that it is replaced with some other kind of footing, because grass is awful in the rain and you will not get nearly as many entries.
                      (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

I love grass rings/fields! That is basically all we had years ago - nothing beats an outside course and I wish they were still around! I would love to find places with true outside courses to show in - I just prefer them so much more than the small sand rings.
                        "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

I love a well done grass ring!
                          We have one at the farm. It isn't just a mowed area. The ground was properly prepared before it became a ring. Sand was added and mixed with the soil before the grass was planted, so it has excellent drainage and never gets muddy. It is a pain to make sure it's mowed regularly and I suppose it isn't as soft when you fall off as sand, but it's not as hot (and that's a big deal down here). It's soft enough, but not too soft for the horses.
                          Y'all ain't right!

Comment

I hate grass rings, they're either wet and slick, or dry and hard~

Comment

*Coming from someone who showed there 2 days ago... PLEASE keep the grass ring! My horses loved and so do I!

Maybe you can put some of the money they are proposing on spending to make a sand ring into leveling off the grass ring and reseeding that might be something to look into! That way there isn't a puddling at the gate end of the ring and it won't get as slick.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Callison View Post
                                *Coming from someone who showed there 2 days ago... PLEASE keep the grass ring! My horses loved and so do I!

Maybe you can put some of the money they are proposing on spending to make a sand ring into leveling off the grass ring and reseeding that might be something to look into! That way there isn't a puddling at the gate end of the ring and it won't get as slick.
                                I'm battling hard. I love the grass and don't understand why there's a contingent that wants to get rid of it instead of improving it.

If you aren't a member, join - and vote!
                                http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
                                I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by MyGiantPony View Post
                                  I'm battling hard. I love the grass and don't understand why there's a contingent that wants to get rid of it instead of improving it.

If you aren't a member, join - and vote!
                                  I just joined on Wednesday! I'll be sure to cast my vote.

Comment

When well-kept and in good weather conditions, grass rings are great. The problem is that you can't count on the weather, even if it is well-kept. They get really slippery when wet, which can definately be a hazard if that is your main show ring. They also get really hard when they get dry, although you can use sprinklers to keep the ring not too dry. There is a grass ring at a local show facility in my area and since we are in a drought, their ring has become so hard and gross that half of the grass is gone and now it is like a ring made of rock with spots of grass. It's awful!! My horse threw two shoes during our first class there last month. Needless to say, I scratched from my remaining classes and will not return there again.

Comment

I forgot to add the biggest pro for me--no dust! Dust is a big problem with sand rings for me because my horse has dust allergies, so when we come across a show facility with a nice grass ring, we go there more than other sand rings.

Comment

My first choice...

I love a grass arena, as long as it can be maintained properly. It is a tough task to keep it in good condition...However, with a good soil base, and as long as it can handle the horse traffic, bear the weight of horses jumping over the same areas, and it drains well, it's well worth keeping.

The area of the country you are in plays a part in the decision too....

Comment

Working...
                                        X