• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why do experienced riders snag the Novice classes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do experienced riders snag the Novice classes!

A tini wini tiny little vent! Went to a schooling show---a walk/trot show and let my TRUELY novice rider go for it in the hunter classes. She did great and we had fun but I just can't get over how some "novices" where so not! I realized with a shock that one of the riders and her horse were from a state equestrian team! They were pointed out to me at the pony club show last month by my trainer as a great team she has been watching for years. On the positive side I had my novice watch her to learn like at the pony club show but geezzzzz!

Originally posted by Wendy123
    A tini wini tiny little vent! Went to a schooling show---a walk/trot show and let my TRUELY novice rider go for it in the hunter classes. She did great and we had fun but I just can't get over how some "novices" where so not! I realized with a shock that one of the riders and her horse were from a state equestrian team! They were pointed out to me at the pony club show last month by my trainer as a great team she has been watching for years. On the positive side I had my novice watch her to learn like at the pony club show but geezzzzz!
    What is the definition of "Novice" at these shows?

I am a very EXPERIENCED rider, but I am still a "NOVICE" according to the USEF because I have not won 3 blue ribbons at a recognized show.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

if unaffialiated you will find that novice can mean a noivce horse or pony

or a rider that hasnt won things as a pair

or a novice rider that hasnt the confidence to be any more than that
      just do low keyed stuff

if how evera proffesional comes to noivce shows then more than likely
      they are schooling a novice horse for m future events had that happen loads of times but can be a bit off as they know how to present and make the horse look good in order to win--

someimtes i think its a bit unfair when like me you take noivce kids to do stuff to learn only to bea by a proffesional shame really as they have there own status of classes to enter affliated which we can not unless its jumping then you have the chance to enter on a ticket but if you win cannot take the prize money if you arnt afiliated

Comment

Yes, sometimes I think it would really make more sense to have separate divisions for Novice Riders and Novice Horses! Not that anyone wants their show day any longer, but I really think that an experienced rider has a definate advantage with a green/new-to-them horse vs a newby rider starting out.

I am in this position myself, and I feel a little bad about competing against some of the riders in this type of division. I have ridden all my life, but not shown for many, many years, don't have my own horse and will be riding a school horse which I ride once a week. I dearly love showing, but no longer feel all that comfortable over larger jumps (especially with the horse I will be riding). However, I do feel that I have a bit of an unfair advantage over some of the young riders starting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet
          What is the definition of "Novice" at these shows?

I am a very EXPERIENCED rider, but I am still a "NOVICE" according to the USEF because I have not won 3 blue ribbons at a recognized show.
          Ditto to that! I've been riding for 21 years but USEF says .. Feenikks is still a Novice!! Also in the locals on one circuit my horse can still ride pre-green at almost 11 years old and bunches of showing in between.. just the way it is..

Comment

I do some of the novice hunter classes becasue it is the height my horse can and will jump. It completely depends on how the class list reads. I never enter unless I am truly eligible.

I am now doing some beginner dressage because of some of the attitudes towards me showing in those divisions. I also have some pretty restrictive aggreements with my transplant doctors regarding what I will and what I will not do.

Trust me, there are some days when getting us both around a novice course of 2'-2'3" is quite a challenge, for various reasons (his stopping, my health, etc)

Given those challenges, I honestly feel that I deserve every ribbon I win.
            Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Silk
              I do some of the novice hunter classes becasue it is the height my horse can and will jump. It completely depends on how the class list reads. I never enter unless I am truly eligible.

I am now doing some beginner dressage because of some of the attitudes towards me showing in those divisions. I also have some pretty restrictive aggreements with my transplant doctors regarding what I will and what I will not do.

Trust me, there are some days when getting us both around a novice course of 2'-2'3" is quite a challenge, for various reasons (his stopping, my health, etc)

Given those challenges, I honestly feel that I deserve every ribbon I win.
              I promise that you don't get attitude from me at those shows which is why I said tini wini vent. It is just that beginning riders need that confidence boost sometimes so they feel like they accomplished something. I have noticed that more and more that is getting harder as the novice classes seem to have a few "ringers" who take all the ribbons and leave the newer riders pretty discouraged. It seems so unfair but I try to emphasize that it is not about the ribbons but about learning to ride better. That can be tough to explain to a 9 year old who was creamed by a few very experienced looking riders or a 13 year old who was creamed by several adults. Of course, who said life was fair either ;(

Comment

I know someone who has been showing Adult Hunter FOREVER, like 20 years maybe. She is a good rider and has a nice horse and always wins.

I wonder, Why don't people like this ever move on? Don't they get bored? They should let someone else win for a change. Move out of the 3-ft. division, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Jr. Hunter
                  I know someone who has been showing Adult Hunter FOREVER, like 20 years maybe. She is a good rider and has a nice horse and always wins.

I wonder, Why don't people like this ever move on? Don't they get bored? They should let someone else win for a change. Move out of the 3-ft. division, please!
                  Perhaps her horse goes best in the 3 foot divisions (older, needs maintenance for example?). Perhaps she goes best in the 3 foot divisions (confidence issues at the 3'6"?) Who is to say why she's there?

If someone were continuously haunting the 2'6" modified and cleaning clocks every weekend for 3 years, I might feel differently; but there are lots of reasons why people appropriately stay at 3 feet.
                  *Faune D'Helby*

Comment

I'm of the opinion that if you can do 2'6" then you can do 3'. However, if you can do 3', you can not necessarily do 3'6". Those six inches are way tougher than the siz inches from 2'6" to 3'.

Many ladies max out at the 3' and I'm fine with that. I'm still a young adult and I hope to have an A/O huner some day. When I'm an older adult, though, I'd rather keep riding and enjoy my old self at the 3' than practically kill myself every day at the 3'6". By then I'll deserve to just enjoy myself!!
                    Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Well, My horse and I would be doing the next division at 2'6'' than of the 2' beginner division we do now, if only he was more reliable on his lead changes. My horse isn't ready to move up yet, and that's the only class that we can do. While I feel awful if I beat the younger truly beginner kids or adults, most of the people in these classes have been doing them for more seasons than me, and still don't move up.

For example there is one rider at one of the local barns that holds several shows during the seasons. While I've seen them do the same class for years, I know that the kid's horse isn't capable of moving up, even though the kid is no longer a true "beginner". In actuality, around here a lot of the "beginners" aren't really beginners at all, which just makes it much more disheartening for a kid that is truly a beginner who is actually in the right class.
                      Wallstreet Rally
                      My Webshots

Comment

Beacue the next step up is 3'6" in the hunters and most people can't afford that
                        There comes a point in every rider's life when she wonders if it's all worth it. Then one look at her horse, and she realizes - it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper
                          I'm of the opinion that if you can do 2'6" then you can do 3'. However, if you can do 3', you can not necessarily do 3'6". Those six inches are way tougher than the siz inches from 2'6" to 3'.
                          Not everyone can move up those 6 inches. I have a wonderful, candidate for sainthood heart of GOLD thoroughbred that I show in the pre adults (I still qualify because I don't have any blues at fences over 2'6 - only AT 2'6). Said horse is 21 years old and has arthritis - his 3'0 to a 3'0 wide oxer is ugly, nasty and if I miss my spot - sometimes not there. Honestly, I'd rather not try. At 2'6 he'll take it forwards, backwards or sideways and pack my skinny out of shape-sits-behind-a-desk-40-hours-a-week-butt around the course. I love showing my horse, he loves going to the shows, and no, I don't feel bad if I clean up in the 2'6 because the reason this horse is still CAPABLE of cleaning up is because I baby the heck out of him (my vet still can't believe he jumps sounds - he's convinced this horse is basically a freak of nature).

I also let a high school girl show him in the equ u/s at the local shows - she's 4'11 - he's 17 hands (long story as to why he's the only experienced show horse avalible to her). She's only shown twice - both times on my horse - and they have won every class they've entered but one. The girl's a very nice rider, my horse is a saint on the flat - I'm sure if you don't know them they look like ringers, but really it's a girl who is new to the show ring being taught by a schoolmaster.

That said - I do get annoyed when TRAINERS show in the Adult classes at local/schooling shows. If it's a novice horse class, that's one thing. But years ago one of my friends got beaten out for circuit champion of the Adult EQUITATION by a trainer - and we all felt it was a bit unfair - after all at any recognized show the division would have been amateur only. Considering that the horse was winning hunter classes as well (and not green hunter classes) I really doubt he needed the schooling...
                          Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
                          unless it breaks your heart first

Comment

I know of someone that was showing a schoolmaster in the 2'5" and winning. Also had a 1st Year Green horse that was winning on the A's. Child had a very hard time moving up to 3'. All horses were stopping and she was falling off left, right and center. Mom was really into winning. The took the 3'6" horse are going to local schooling shows and jumping 2'. Of course she's winning and Mom is happy. To some people the blue ribbon is what counts. Doesn't matter what division or where only that it is the right color

Comment

Look it happens the world over - it's an anomaly that just has to be lived with. The adult riding club I belong to has regular dressage comps, however, these aren't really competitions as the same riders with the same horses keep entering the same beginner riding tests and winning and placing and the %'s just keep getting higher and higher! I thought at 70% to get a 4th was great so came back to the next one in the series thinking I might have a shot at another rosette (out of 20 odd riders). Well, was I mistaken. Might as well have been two classes. One for those who have their horses professionally schooled for them in between times and who are definitely WAAAAY past where my OTT TB is (he raced only 14 months ago). And my 76% (a good improvement on the first) at the second show was pathetic - the winners were getting in the mid-high 80's. So go figure! They should be moving up to prelim/novice as their horses are very capable of it (I know, we all live and ride in the same area) but NOOOOOO, they're happy ribbon robbing. Also in showing ... a "Green Horse Show" which would to me say a young (7yo) OTT TB in his first year of competition (like my horse) . Nooooo said the rules - a "Green Horse" and/or rider was any combination that DIDN'T have up to 6 ribbons at A&P (top level local agricultural society-posh-nobby) shows. In otherwords, I could have competed against horses that had competed at OPEN level on the flat but not actually won. How fair is that?

Mind you, cultural differences come into it - in NZ here, a blue is only second! Red is first

Comment

dd-- thats the mums and parents -- i have always tuaght debs to go in and try its not winning thats just a bonus if you do but to try thats the important thing -- and to the lesson that i teach that go if they dont win we make them so happy becuase we really welcome the fact that they tried hard and so encoruage them becuase they did --

Comment

We do move on... that is to dressage, hunter pace, X country and of course, western!

Comment

I hate complaints like this...

I train a bunch of kids and ponies. One student wins every single walk/trot class at the shows. Other trainers have asked why I don't move her up. Well, the truth is that she is 7 yrs old and terrified to canter with a group. I would not risk this child's safety in order for other kids to win a blue in the walk/trot division. You don't always know the story behind the winners...

Comment

Because the adult amatuers classes are on the weekend and the Amatuer/Owner classes are during the week. Being amatuers some of them have jobs that don't allow them to take off during the week.
                                      "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

Comment

Novice or not?

First and formost, hunter/jumper shows are all show. Maybe the "novice" entry needed an ego boost. Sorry if I am offending those of you that ride in these shows, but it is really toooooooo darn political! Let those that are really "NOVCE" all around enter into their own division and or create a division that they can be competitive in. In the world of eventing there are classes set up for Novice Rider/Novice Horse/Open Novice (for trainers) etc. This makes it FAIR! What a concept, maybe the H/J world needs to put ther ego's aside and figure out a way to help others and not just worry about who has the most $$$$. Other horse sports laugh at the H/J world, sorry to break it to ya guys, but its a fact!

Originally posted by Wendy123
                                        God Bless

Comment

Working...
                                        X