• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why do experienced riders snag the Novice classes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by lmlacross

I think the perpetual Adult Amateur rider is different from the seasoned competitors cleaning up in Novice Walk-Trot. I don't see that the 3' hunters being the terminus of someone's riding career is so perplexing, nor would it bother me as a competitor in that division. If they won everything, I'd just need to get better.

LML
    Thanks, you said that better than I did (I might have added the novice 18" classes too though).

Comment

• [QUOTE=HorseCrazy_xo]
      Originally posted by 3dayeventing
      Sorry if I am offending those of you that ride in these shows, but it is really toooooooo darn political! QUOTE]

i hear that a lot...and im not 100% sure really what it means...can someone explain to me how its political? i am not disagreeing with you cause im sure its true and my trainer says it all the time bit idk what it means
      People say that it is political because it is subjective. Anything that is subjective can be influenced by outside factors.

An extreme example of this would be a horse who was late with a lead change (ridden by a famous rider or a rider with a famous trainer) beating a horse who didn't miss the change (but was ridden by a "nobody"). No one can PROVE that the judge didn't just believe that even with the miss, the first horse had a better round, so it falls under politics.

Even without any "politics" two different judges could pin the exact same class differently. Sure, the top 4 will probably still be the top 4, but the order could be different. Some horses like a bold jump and will accept a little head tossing whereas some judges like a lopier horse and hate a head shake.

Because it is so subjective, it can be political, meaning influenced by people/events/things that occur outside of the show ring.
      Originally posted by tidy rabbit
      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

• ooo i get it...thank you..i have seen this happen before

Comment

• Politics are more likely to play a role in judging the more subjective sports (hunters, ice skating, gymnastics) as opposed to the objective sports (jumpers, softball, swimming, track). But we all know that politics enters into the objective sports as well. As long as a human being is judging an event, there will be subjectiveness and therefore the chance of politics.

It is unrealistic to say that "my sport is without politics."
          Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to.--Joe Gores

Comment

• "Politics" is also a useful scapegoat to explain a less-than-winning round.
            "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Comment

• Originally posted by Flufie2
              "Politics" is also a useful scapegoat to explain a less-than-winning round.
              agreed...

Comment

• Absolutely! This is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you have a lovely round and don't place well, it can be very disappointing. It's the nature of our sport. But if you have a less-than-perfect round and then complain of politics, that's just poor sportsmanship.
                Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to.--Joe Gores

Comment

• Re:

Last year I remember being somewhat disappointed when I had to ride against riders in the Pre Adult Eq-, who rode in the Ariat the following day. Then I put my bitterness aside and realized the experienced riders were using the Pre Adult division as mileage for their green horses, which changed my attitude. As long as the class description allows for experienced riders to compete in the 2'6" division and they qualify for it then I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

• This is the same type of thing but on another level. Seasoned junior and amateur riders with BNT's; that join small 'local' associations, that are NOT even 'local' to them (that were formed to promote 'novices' into the show world, not to promote the A-circuit riders) just to 'win' MORE year end awards. Maybe the local associations needs to put some new rules as to what geographical area the competitors need to reside in to be eligible to join?
                    Horsezee

Comment

• Originally posted by LGW
                      Last year I remember being somewhat disappointed when I had to ride against riders in the Pre Adult Eq-, who rode in the Ariat the following day. Then I put my bitterness aside and realized the experienced riders were using the Pre Adult division as mileage for their green horses, which changed my attitude. As long as the class description allows for experienced riders to compete in the 2'6" division and they qualify for it then I see nothing wrong with it.

Well thank you Shirley Temple. Would you call making a voodoo doll in that poor girl's likeness and sticking two inch pins in it every weekend putting your "bitterness aside"?

Comment

• Re: Offset

Oh ... but great wise one ... you said it was therapy.

May we all be so lucky to follow your advice and be privy to kiss the golden ring on your shaky hand.

Comment

• I know exactly what your talking about, last summer my daughter was having alot of trouble with her horse, basically he decided he wasn't gonna show or jump anymore! She tried to do her jumper class - 3 ft and landed in the dirt, then her eq classes, he stopped at the jumps! Then because we didn't want to end on such a bad note, we waited an did a Modified class, adults, kids no age or restrictions, she didn't belong in a 2' class, but didn't want the kid to end on a sour note and wanted to make sure the horse was gonna jump also, well her first round was the flat - blue ribbon, second round jump - the horse planted it and she did a superman fly over the jump! I had had it, but she wasn't gonna give up, then the last jump class,- blue ribbon, what she learned was as long as she sat back, waited, and didn't get up his neck, he was fine! So though she ended up Champion of the class, she really didn't belong in it, but she learned finally she just cant get up his neck at all! We have basically given him some time off - 6 months, and he is much better, jumping great even if she misses and does get up his neck, but is 18, and really don't want to chance it in the show ring anymore, so she jumps him for fun and trail rides, and we have 1/2 leased her a show horse! But long story short, that silly class is what finally taught her not to get up his neck!

Comment

• H/JMom--this is a perfect example of why we have open classes. Everyone has particular needs and if a class fits the bill for you, then enter it. You shouldn't fell guilty about entering a class you're eligible for-- "Gee, I really need this experience for my horse/rider but I should give others a chance so I won't enter this class."

I realize this is a different situation from the point chasers and the people who park it in the lower divisions. But that's a result of open classes. If it's open, it's open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yours Truly

I realize this is a different situation from the point chasers and the people who park it in the lower divisions. But that's a result of open classes. If it's open, it's open.

Couldn't have said that better. Completely agree.
                              http://www.theloft-tackshop.com/

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MD247.html

Comment

• thanks - I have always felt silly about that day! And what a day it was, glad my then 12 year old can still laugh at it, especially when she watches the video is slow motion!! perfect form over the jump if she was applying for a job as a female Superman!!!

Comment

• Wendy123, I've been in some of the beginner W/T and W/T/C classes at the schooling H/J shows (2 last year, 1 this year). Some of them split by age, but others are divided randomly or everyone shows together. I did two shows back in High School, and another about 10 years ago, but wasn't ever very successful. I'm definitely not trying to steal ribbons from the little kids, but since I'm a beginner, I recognize that the show management has to decide on the best way to organize their classes.

HHG-N, even though I was fine cantering in groups in lessons, the warmups and show rings tend to have considerably more horses, and tend to clump together more. I can't blame your little rider for being a little intimidated, especially since it is her first year. Maybe she can focus more on the Hunter Hack and tiny O/F classes? I agree that getting the time in the ring is important. Lessons at home are great, but showing isn't just equitation and getting the most out of the horse, it also involves dealing with nerves and a bit of chaos. That's a lot harder to teach outside of an actual show environment, I think.

3DayEventing, while you are entitled to your opinion, everyone else is entitled to disagree with you. It's not as though anyone is going to arrest you for saying that H/J shows involve politics! I'm planning to show in my first Horse Trial this weekend, at the W/T dressage and 18" fence level. I'd probably be fine with the next step up, and the horse is certainly up to it. I was more confident with that dressage test, though, so I decided to stick to that level.

I'm planning to show this season at H/J local schooling shows (we have several that are close by, and the A shows are more than I want to spend the money on), as well as unrecognized and recognized Horse Trials and Dressage shows. I will probably move up in each area over the course of the season, but if for some reason I did feel the need to stay at 18" fences and W/T flat and dressage classes, I don't think anyone would have any basis to be mad at me about it. People and horses progress (or regress, in the case of those who are getting older or coming back from an injury) at different rates.

I'm not really active in showing, but I've attended A rated H/J shows, recognized Horse Trials, and *** rated Dressage shows, and haven't had any runins with snobbish or unfriendly people.

Succeeding at the higher levels in any equestrian field usually takes a lot of money - buying, showing, and caring for horses adds up. So do training and lessons. That's why the truism about making a small fortune in horses is so widespread! It's not that people buy their wins in H/J shows - and claiming that is a really horrid thing to say about the ethics of the judges in the entire discipline. Fashion does tend to be a factor, but probably more so among junior riders teasing each other than it does to the judge.
                                  Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

• To get back closer to the OP's original concerns re beginning riders in W/T type classes: if this is a local association type schooling show, and you think there is a need that is not being met for a certain type of rider, I'd suggest talking to some of your fellow trainers to see if they have seen a similar issue. If they have, you all ARE the local association: change the shows next season. Our area group has 'tweaked' the types of classes nearly every year. The "true beginner rider" group had gotten so big that we have split the schooling shows. There is a one-day show, held on Fridays in the summer and Saturdays in the school year, where most of the classes are W/T and the highest event is 2' verticals. Only one division is "open" to all riders, the fences are still only 2', and ribbons are awarded but no points. So it really is used to school extremely green horses in their very first trip or two away from their home barn, before they're even ready for baby greens. A beginner rider like the OP's would have several different height divisions to chose from where she might compete against all ages but could be assured they were at the same skill level. Then the association has separate shows, anything from 1 to 3 days, that start with normal 2' divisions and go all the way up to Open/Regular, with points and prizes at the end-of-year banquet.

So talk to the others in your area - if there is a need, fill it! If it keeps riders and their parents moving forward into our sport, rather than having them get discouraged and pulling out, then it's a good thing.
                                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

• If one is eligible to enter the division, then enter it. If one is not eleigible then someone should protest them.

The last thing I want is a division where everyone better than me is legislated out, leaving me the winner. I want to put my horse and my abilities (questionable though they are) up against everyone else who qualifies for my division. In my area, my division is called the million dollar division because of the plethora of expensive horses. You cannot imagine my pride when we jog in front of all those dollar signs.
                                      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge
                                        If one is eligible to enter the division, then enter it. If one is not eleigible then someone should protest them.
                                        Agree.

It's presently driving people crazy that my schedule for the next show season will involve my usual entries in the biggest classes, but this year plus entries in the smallest classes on some green horses. Some people are not happy with their beginners being pitted against a rider who's ridden for the country's team more than once and holds a national record, but the class is open and I'm not prepared to kill myself by jumping these babies in a bigger class - and for the most part, although I'm sure it's annoying for many, they accept it.

It can be frustrating and difficult to deal with when the rank beginners are forced to hold up against some considerably more experienced riders, but for so long as the latter riders are still eligible for the class, sometimes there's nothing one can do about it except just accept the fact because really, they have every right to be there if they so choose and some of those riders do have genuine reasons for entering those classes. But heck, if the riders you mentioned have no right being in those classes, complain away and change it, haha!

Good luck and I wish your students the very best!
                                        Without a Doubt

Comment

• I am still eligible novice. Why? Because up 'til now I've ridden greenies and problem horses and while I have pulled some good solid ribbons, I am still one blue short of ribboning out of the novices. What's the saying? "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride"?

Do I still show in the novice classes? No. What would be the point? I show in the open classes because that is where I feel I belong. If I wanted to go win against my little sister, now that I'm lucky enough to be on a very nice horse, I would enter the novice division and sweep the damn thing. But to me there would be no satisfaction in it.

If the ringers that the OP mentioned have circumstances requiring them to enter the novice classes- horse coming off of an injury, rider coming off of an injury, confidence issues- and they are eligible, no problem. If they have no reason to enter the classes, but they are still eligible, I think that's silly and unsportsmanlike but they're certainly entitled.

Besides which, if it's a novice class, the ringers will ribbon out eventually anyway.
                                          "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                          Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                          X