• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UGH! Why is it that horse people have such a hard time calling people back!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGH! Why is it that horse people have such a hard time calling people back!?

I have been trying for almost 3 weeks to find a new barn to start riding at but no one has called me back!! I understand everyone is busy but you would think they would want more business. Should I try emailing them or would this be too nagging? I just wish people would pick up their phones around here!!!

I tend to write off most people who don't return calls -- It seems I write off many more horse people than non-horse people If I'm certain I'm interested in the barn/horse/whatever I'll leave 2-3 messages -- I've found it sometimes helpful to mention who gave me the contact information when I leave a message --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

Sometimes our lives get busy, I am on the go all the time and non-stop not just with Barn duties but family life. If I get finished around 9pm. I feel it is to late to start calling people at home. However, you can e-mail at any time of day or night as you are not bothering any-one. Perhaps email is your best route to get an answer IMO. (I don't like to be called after 9.30pm and don't call any-one after that time either)
      If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

Comment

When I found my current trainer, I made phone calls to about 7 people I had in mind to investigate lessons with. None returned my calls. Harumph. I made a second round of calls. Only one returned my second round of calls. One I really wanted to find out more about, so I dropped in on the barn during a private lesson, and sat and waited for her to be done, watching her give the lesson. We had a nice chat, though she looked bored and distracted. I wrote my name and contact information on her whiteboard, and she never called from that contact, either. One other trainer called me from the second round of phone calls. She said this: "Wow, I thought to myself, this girl has called me twice, I better call her back, she must really be serious, she must really want to learn!" She's my trainer, couldn't ask for a better one for me, and we have a great relationship today, and are very responsible with each other's time.

It occured to me then that possibly barn/trainer people get alot of looky-loo calls and have learned that possibly the ones who are serious will find someway to let that be known so that it is worth their while to call them back. I don't ascribe to that manner of handling people, but one never knows how crazy their day is.

My point is, just call several times. Either your persistance will convince them, or your persistence will just finally get you through to them. If they don't want your business, they'll let you know.

Luck.
        Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I'd say try a few times, but if they're really not into returning phone calls, I'd consider it a good indicator of their level of professionalism and look elsewhere.
          ---
          They're small hearts.

Comment

I can definitely understand how annoying that is! I went "barn-shopping" earlier this year, and it can be frustrating at times.

But barn managers/owners/trainers are busy people with ridiculous schedules. So keep calling, email (as another poster said, emails can be returned at any hour of the day, you can't call potential clients at 10pm), drop by, be aggressive in your pursuit. I've had trainers who were best contacted by text or email, or who were just flaky and needed me to call to remind them of my schedule changes, etc. That doesn't make them bad trainers in any sense!

Nine times out of ten, most people aren't ignoring you, they're just busy.
            Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Also, I think if it was a barn I wanted to bored at, I would show up if no one answered my queries, yet advertised board. If for no other reason than to find out, in person, how and when to contact them. Oh, BTW, do you have any openings?
              Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Horse people are not "business people" - it took me a long time to learn that.

Comment

Ummm...OP...what are you saying in your message? Could they think you are just a looky loo or a kid who will never show up? Be sure to be very specific..."Hi, my name is Corky Smith and I am interested in taking lessons. Can you call me back at 555-1212 and give me rate information including a school horse." Even better would be "I would like to set up an introductory lesson". That indicates you are serious.

The other thing is some of these may not have school horses or public lesson programs so they are not going to respond. Or they are full. It would be polite to return the call anyway but I wouldn't condemn them if they don't-some barns get tons of calls from people they cannot help and there is no way they can get back on all of them.

The absolute best way to find a good lesson program with school horses is asking around and then just drop by the barn during normal business hours when they will be teaching. You can watch and they can get some face time with you to know you are serious.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherRound View Post
                    It occured to me then that possibly barn/trainer people get alot of looky-loo calls
                    Ain't that the truth. I feel sorry that my trainer has to deal with all the random messages she gets. Little kids calling about lessons (note to parents: your 8 year old isn't going to be taken seriously), people calling for western lessons when the ad clearly says English, rental horse inquiries, beach riding inquiries, 'I've got a rank horse, can you fix it' inquiries, 'my child is 2 and I want them to ride' inquiries, 'can we come pet the horses' inquiries...the list is endless. She tries to call most back, but a lot of times she just lets the ones that are clearly not calling the right person go (and yes, that even means potential boarders...the barn is owned and run by completely different people with a different business name and different phone number)
                    Last edited by RugBug; Jun. 24, 2009, 06:51 PM.
                    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Originally posted by RugBug View Post
                      Ain't that the truth. I feel sorry that my trainer has to deal with all the random messages she gets. Little kids calling about lessons (not to parents: your 8 year old isn't going to be taken seriously), people calling for western lessons when the ad clearly says English, rental horse inquiries, beach riding inquiries, 'I've got a rank horse, can you fix it' inquiries, 'my child is 2 and I want them to ride' inquiries, 'can we come pet the horses' inquiries...the list is endless. She tries to call most back, but a lot of times she just let's the ones that are clearly not calling the right person go (and yes, the even means potential boarders...the barn is owned and run by completed different people with a different business name and different phone number)

Rug Bug...you forgot the "do you do Birthday parties, Pony Rides, Rent horses for trail riding?". No kidding, guys, you should hear the calls in the voice mail.

Comment

Due to moving horses for school, I've done this more times than I'd like to recall. Everyone gets one initial phone call. After that, I stop by (unless the place is gated and I can't get in). If I find someone to talk to, I ask if someone is free or if they would prefer for me to schedule an appointment for a tour and discussion. I also stop by all local tack shops and ask for recommendations. If you can't get a hold of someone- the local tack shop usually knows why, i.e. away at a show, dropped her cell in a water bucket, just sucks at returning calls, wouldn't be a good fit for you anyway...

Comment

Things are much slower now for my trainer but back when I first started riding with her she told us to call, call, and call again. She went to bed VERY early and woke up VERY early. Neither of those extremes were prime phone call returning times as she had horses to take care of, horses to train, and lessons to teach immediately after (big program back then).

Her kids were young and her husband also very busy. None of them were good at giving her messages so she always said "leave one if you like but you better call back because chances are I won't get it" She finally got an answering machine. All has been right ever since She will call you back - you just have to give her a couple days especially if it's show season.

That said, I met up with her face to face. She was giving lessons at the barn where I was boarding. I was having issues with my horse, she watched me ride while she was teaching a fellow boarder, asked to hop on when she was done teaching - the rest is history. Had we not been face to face back then, I don't think I would've started riding with her - that was about 15 years ago. She did a lot of her business face to face. The phone was just too complicated. Heck, she only got into the cell world within the last 5 or so years, emailing in the last couple, and started texting in the last few months She just didn't have the time for that stuff. It's nice having a smaller group of people - she's much more available for social time

I say, if you've made 3 calls and are really wanting to be at this particular barn, then go in person and ask to speak to the person who can help you. Be prepared to wait for a break in lessons or whatever else might be going on that day. Be patient, courteous, and show them you are serious. If that doesn't work then forget that place - they obviously don't want your business. Being there in person will help you get an idea of how they do things, just how busy they are, how they treat their clients etc. You will know if it's an evironment you'd be happy with or not.

Good luck!
                          Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
                          http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
                          *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Comment

I run a barn and teach I do it ALL, stalls, feeding, riding, teaching etc so I am MORE THAN busy. Yet I ALWAYS find time to return calls and try had for it to be the same day. I am very frustrated with people who do not return calls jsut went thru that trying to buy a pony. However, from my side of the fence I get frustrated with people that jsut show up, wanting to talk to you about lessons, horses etc when I am IN THE MIDDLE of somethign else. The other day I had someone show up wanting to talk about lessons. Well, I was TEACHING a lesson and had jsut started. I went over, asked her how I could help her. She was very "nebulous" about the situation so asked her if she could BRIEFLY tell me what the sitaution was, when I got this LONG STORY about her daughter whow as in college having bought a horse off of Craigslist and wanting to show and "learn english"... etc. they would have to haul in for lessons BUT didn't have a trailer, etc. So I said "I am sorry right now I am in the middle of a lesson, but I am happy for you to call me later, visit my website, send me an email or stop by at a time I am available. Since I was in the middle of the ring teaching I had no way to write down her contact info. She sort of walked off very "humpf" like, and I kind of hollered, "Look forward to talking to you about it" and never heard anything else. Of course they sounded like they didn't have a CLUE and I would have helped them, but also may not have been the best situation. Have had plenty of others that take up my time telling me life stories etc, and how they want to do this and that (one who wanted to show at the DUke Childrens Classis over 3' but had a super green 4 yr old that hadn't even egun jumping yet, the more she told me, the more I realized this WASN'T going to be a horse to do that type of show with!). And then after listening and talking for an hour or more, they jsut poof, disappear and never call or come back. It is a COLLOSAL waste of my time! So people also need to be realistic about how much time a potential instructor can take if they are tire kicking! Sorry, off my soapbox now!
                            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I can't tell you how many students I've gotten over the years who have said, "THANK YOU for calling me back! You were the first, and the only to do so!" So, to those trainers who don't return phone calls? I thank you very much for all the business!

I've done the same thing though, made calls to trainers with whom I'd like to have some lessons, and have ridden with the ones who called me back. Never once have regretted it. The ones who make those calls prove to be the most worthwhile and trustworthy, IMPO.

Comment

Well I thought like you before---

Before i knew how much my trainer does. She coaches for 80 + horses and if she had the time to gab she would not be who she is.

Now I am not saying you want to be gabby and social. But the good trainers don't have alot of time.
                                YOu will get more of an idea from watching the lessons or watching them at a show.

I admire my trainer and now if she calls me I think oh crap I don't ride good enough she is finally kicking me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't rush to conclusions they are soo busy.
                                When I am at a show , typically she has 15 - 25 students
                                When she works with you ---- you are it and no one else.
                                So if you want a receptionist you won't find it at the good barns!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea View Post
                                  So if you want a receptionist you won't find it at the good barns!!!!!!!
                                  Umm, no, that's not true. Many of the real serious show barns with good teaching programs have somebody to do the bookeeping, schedualing, billing AND return calls. But they don't return those that are obvioulsy looking for something not offered or that leave incomplete information or that, frankly, they can't figure out what they are asking.

Comment

I ended up taking lessons from the only barn who called me back.

That said, its probably not the BEST way to pick out a barn.

Comment

Welcome to the horse world.... now leave a message.

And make sure you call back twice... and maybe leave your number 320493x.

And then when you still don't get a call back... have your trainer call, bc they'll get them to pick up on the first ring. GO FIGURE.

Comment

Originally posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
                                        Welcome to the horse world.... now leave a message.

And make sure you call back twice... and maybe leave your number 320493x.

And then when you still don't get a call back... have your trainer call, bc they'll get them to pick up on the first ring. GO FIGURE.
                                        TSS, OP is loking for a barn to ride at, does not have a horse from what I can tell. Just looking for lessons on somebody else's. The number of barns offering quality programs with school horses goes down more and more every year. Possibility the barns she has called do not offer what she is looking for.

My barn does return calls. Promptly...IF they can help. They do not call back the Birthday Pony requests or anybody looking for rodeo lessons though. Can't believe all 7 barns she has called are running active lesson programs and looking for more clients.

Comment

Working...
                                        X