• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Professionals... who is going to get USHJA Certified?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professionals... who is going to get USHJA Certified?

I think this is a great program im hoping that I will be financially able and not hindered by other commitments (shows etc) to attend one of the symposiums in the future and then do the certification program. I missed the one at Sweet Briar, which is very close to home and could kick myself for missing it.
    Is anyone else going to either of the symposiums either in NY or TX?
    What kind of impact do you all think this will have on the hunter world?
    I went to St. Andrew's, we were taught to use the forward riding system and i believe in it wholeheartedly, i think a systematic approach definitely benefits both the horses and the riders.
    Anyway comment away im really interested in other trainers and also students, parents etc opinions

I'll add another question about the program.

It's voluntary now, right? Will there come a day when you won't be able to sign a USEF entry blank as trainer unless you're certified?

Comment

• Original Poster

If anyone wants any more info on the program which is mandatory here is a link to the USHJA website
      http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
      Last edited by AGRHJRider; Jun. 18, 2009, 11:09 PM. Reason: link option didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by AGRHJRider View Post
        If anyone wants any more info on the program which is mandatory here is a link to the USHJA website
        http://http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
        Link didn't work.

Comment

• Original Poster

edited it... should work now
          sorry

Comment

Originally posted by AGRHJRider View Post
            http://www.ushja.org/TCP/index.shtml
            The first sentence (from the link above) says the program is voluntary, not mandatory:

The USHJA Trainer Certification Program is a voluntary program. It is intended to help promote trainer credibility and offer ongoing professional support. Certification does demonstrate a marketable merit of knowledge that will gain in credibility with each passing year.

Comment

Why was the CA clinic cancelled?
              "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

The goals of this so-far VOLUNTARY program are commendable....and getting CPR certification and insurance coverage are pretty much common sense to the point of being almost no-brainers.

In the present economic climate I suppose it could be argued that certification should translate to an advantage in the marketplace, giving those with certification an edge in attracting new clients to their businesses.

It's less arguable though, that those with up and going operations who already have numerous clients would gain from it enough to bother to participate. Grandfathering those types in doesn't seem fair to the rest, does it? But a two or three tier system will certainly develop for at least a while, at least until the symposiums become more numerous and more convenient geographically...giving everyone who needs/wants to a fair opportunity to attend. Especially when every penny counts, it might be a stretch in some cases to go to the expense of a trip that isn't going to immediately yield a tangible benefit.

It could be anticipated that less active trainers with more time on their hands to do it will be more likely to become certified, in an effort to increase their qualifications, while more active trainers at the top levels will either not take the time off or not see the point, and the busiest trainers at the lower levels might not be able to undertake or justify the expense of the program.

I would hope that an effort would be made to stage the symposiums in many locations so that the maxiumum number of participants could attend with a minimum amount of expense and effort.

I haven't heard the back story about the cancellation of the CA symposium--does anyone know it?

Neither TX nor Buffalo strike me as convenient, or is it just me? Were the sessions that have been held in recent years in FL and CA more so? Were they all in December? Certainly it's expensive to conduct these symposiums, but the greater expense is undertaken by those who attend--think how much money is being expended overall, and I think it becomes more plausible to contend that having a symposium in each zone would make more sense at the start, to get the program off to a flying start.
                Inner Bay Equestrian
                Facebook
                KERx

Comment

M. O'Connor-

The George Morris clinic in Buffalo in the fall has been an annual event for years, though I believe this is the first time it's been tied into the USHJA program.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post

It's voluntary now, right? Will there come a day when you won't be able to sign a USEF entry blank as trainer unless you're certified?
                    I don't think it could ever really become mandatory, because there are some people who show without a trainer that have to sign the trainer blank themselves. These adult amateurs can't be expected to be certified as well. Right?
                    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
                    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

Come on, do they really think the likes of Missy Clark, Louise Serio, Peter Pletcher, Scott Stewart and (insert any other BNT here) are really going to get certified?

Originally posted by To the MAX View Post
                      I don't think it could ever really become mandatory, because there are some people who show without a trainer that have to sign the trainer blank themselves. These adult amateurs can't be expected to be certified as well. Right?
                      Yeah I had the same thought too. How are they going to enforce or police that since some amatuers sign the back?
                      I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Comment

The "trainer" blank basically serves the purpose of delineating who is on the hook for drug infractions.

Even when I do show with a trainer, I sign my own trainer form because I care for my horse and it is my "fault" if, God forbid, someone spikes his food with an illegal med.

Comment

Well, could you say that it's a no-brainer about CPR training? 'Cause there is a lot of data showing that individuals who have received certification are not necessarily practised in it, and as a result, CPR done wrong is a real and frequent problem. And the technique is being updated all the time.

There are 5 states currently that do not have limited liability in place for equestrian activities. I think that that has more of an effect on insurance rates than anything (for those of us in those states) -- so certification, phooey. And some, like Mass., do have an instructor certification in place that is required (true, MA dwellers?).

Buffalo is not convenient. Buffalo is the mid-West, for all practicality, which doesn't mean it's not convenient, but if the organizers were thinking, "Ah, we'll do a course in NY!," well, Buffalo is way, far away from the East coast.

After all of the above, I'm certainly thinking of doing this program.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberbay View Post
                            Buffalo is not convenient. Buffalo is the mid-West, for all practicality, which doesn't mean it's not convenient, but if the organizers were thinking, "Ah, we'll do a course in NY!," well, Buffalo is way, far away from the East coast.
                            When has New York (ie any part of that state) been consider the "midwest"? St. louis or Chicago are the midwest... Nothing is convenient unless you live within driving distance. People from new york would have a problem with it if it was held in say virginia or north carolina. Perhaps they could hold these things at bigger a shows during the year in different parts of the country that would be logical, but again we're dealing with the ushja and usef when have they ever been logical?
                            I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Comment

Yes MA trainers must be licensed and "riding schools" i.e. public lesson establishments need a license too. But truely its a joke. You take a multiple choice exam and its more on the laws of the state then anything else. So remember MA trainers, no more then ten hours of work for the horse per day!
                              Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Comment

As an Amateur, I have decided to go the certification route. Not only does it benefit myself through what I have learned, but I hope that with CPR certification and attending the clinic, I will be able to bring back ideas and tips for my fellow riders. I was attending the Trainer's Symposium anyways, to learn firsthand, and decided while there that I might as well take the next few steps to become certified. It doesn't hurt anything to do so =]. The only upcoming glitch I see for an amateur trying to beocme certified is the insurance issue.. I don't actually need "trainer's" insurance.
                                CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
                                Serving North GA with high quality clips.
                                --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
                                --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post

I would doubt it, because the USEF "Trainer" signature is all about who has care and custody of the horse, and who is the presumed "responsible person" if a drug test comes back positive.

For most horses that are not boarded at a show barn the owner or rider signs as trainer.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
                                    As an Amateur, I have decided to go the certification route. Not only does it benefit myself through what I have learned, but I hope that with CPR certification and attending the clinic, I will be able to bring back ideas and tips for my fellow riders. I was attending the Trainer's Symposium anyways, to learn firsthand, and decided while there that I might as well take the next few steps to become certified. It doesn't hurt anything to do so =]. The only upcoming glitch I see for an amateur trying to beocme certified is the insurance issue.. I don't actually need "trainer's" insurance.
                                    The application says that the applicant must be declared as a pro.
                                    http://www.ushja.org/TCP/Application-C1.pdf.pdf
                                    Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

Guess they will need another signature if they want to make trainer cert. mandatory. Maybe "Horse Care Manager" or "Medication Administrator"
                                      Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Comment

Thanks PTF - I just noticed that myself and fired off an email to USHJA. At the SCAD Symposium, Amateurs were encouraged to apply. I'm gonna be a little ticked if I paid to go, and then won't be allowed to be certified.

But only a little, since I DID learn a lot! It just seemed that there were other students who went with their trainers and didn't pay, because they weren't going to apply to be certified. So, if I could have gone for free...
                                        CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
                                        Serving North GA with high quality clips.
                                        --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
                                        --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Comment

Working...
                                        X