• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Have you bought a horse sight unseen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you bought a horse sight unseen?

I know a few people who have bought horses from across the country via internet shopping and it's actually worked out. It makes me nervous but there are some really great deals out there even with the shipping costs added!

What about an unbroke youngster? What would it take for you to feel comfortable making the purchase? I am requesting photos from all angles, videos....I wouldn't typically do a PPE in this price range, but thinking that would give me the 3rd party opinion?

Scare me straight - or tell me how well it worked out for you?
  • Original Poster

I should add that *due to the economy* another concern is that if it doesn't work out for me, it might be a hard time to move the horse along to someone else....

Comment

I did

Chose mine based on a photo as a foal. I was sent a video, where I liked a lot of the other babies better, but felt bad changing my mind. He turned out to be exactly what I wanted, really

We've had some issues along the way with lameness, though, which sort of sucked and maybe could have been avoided if I'd shopped in a more traditional way, but it's been sorted out and we should be showing soon. He's 7 now, and I wouldn't trade him for Rox Dene

A lot depends on your willingness to roll with the punches, especially with a youngster. I told myself if he wasn't fit for what I wanted to do, I'd just change my goals. I also didn't have very high goals, except to do some local hunter showing and lots of trail riding. If I had the intent of getting a horse who could do 3'6" at A shows, I might be disappointed right now.

Best $800 I ever spent *grin*
      "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

I've bought a horse sight unseen, got video, tons of pictures, and talked to every person involved with the horse. It worked out great for me.

That said, I'd do a PPE no matter the price range. An inexpensive horse that is lame is no longer inexpensive. There are a million things that might show up in a PPE even on a youngster, that you would want to know about.

I've vetted a 2yo with an illformed coffin joint and a yearling with OCD in a hock.

The extra $$ for the PPE was well worth knowing that information.
        My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

I have done it - Just did it again as a matter of fact.. bought two Canter Cuties in PA and I live in CO.

Neither one had a PPE..

Here is what I can tell you:

1. Be prepared for it NOT to work out and have a back up plan - i.e the mare I bought is nice enought to breed and the gelding - I have tons of horsey connections that would take him if he is not sound enough to do what I want to do.

2. I have bought two very expensive un broke youngsters and neither one worked out for me - however they both have great homes and doing great things in homes that suit them. The problem with un broke is even if you see them in person you cannot ride them. So you need to also have some kind of plan if they dont work out for you.

3. even with the bad economy dont buy horses you cant afford to keep and sit on for awhile. I buy mine under the intention I will keep them forever.

Good luck and it does work out!! You just need to be prepared if it doesnt.
          Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
          " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
          Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Comment

One of my favorite mares, and mother to my current three great boys, was a sight unseen purchase. I didn't even see photos. I sent a trusted friend to look at her and then had a vet go "eyeball her". She was not expensive at the time and so I asked to vet to look enough to tell me if he saw anything that would prevent her from being a 3'6 hunter. He did a bit of temperment testing too. I did not xray. I can say I was scared for several weeks until she arrived in my yard. While we waited for transportation I paid board and had my friend ride her and was able to get glowing reports on the mare's sweetness. She went on to move my daughter up from a pony and then hauled my butt around hunter courses for several years and then gave us three wonderful babies before she died leaving the last baby an orphan. She was one of the best experiences of my life.

I know there will be lots of nightmare stories out there too but I felt from this experience that I ought to get others to pick my horses for me. She arrived looking scared and a little under weight but I was so relieved when I was able to see her for myself. The night she arrived, at minight, and we settled her in her stall was the first good sleep I had had since making my crazy decision.

Comment

Yes, but because of a phone call from a BNT whose judgement I trust beyond a doubt.
              http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
              I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

I did it (I live in MD and horse was in Wisconsin). I saw a video and pictures. I HIGHLY agree with the other poster about having a PPE done. I bought mine as a 2 year old, and by age 4 he was a pasture pet due to severe navicular.
                I have also had a couple TB shipped over from the track without looking at them. I used to work at the track for a vet and always asked his opinion on the horse before I had the trainer ship it over. Usually the horses were what the trainers said, but there were some that were not as nice as what I expected.
                Happy Hour-TB
                Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg

Comment

• Original Poster

So no one has a horse that got off the truck a hand shorter than you thought? Or with a funky leg that somehow didn't look so funky in the photos?

Having recently-ish bought a horse basically straight off the track, I am all-too-familiar with the feeling "if it doesn't work out for me..." - when buying anything that is very *raw* - you really can't say with any certainty where their talents will lie and if they will be compatible with what you want to do. (Still trying to figure out just what his talents are - so far all I have come up with is that he's easy to handle!)

Board isn't an issue with sitting on something that doesn't seem like it's going to work for me (not counting the horse that COULD be paying board in the taken stall, that is) - more an issue of $ and time being tied up than anything.

In all honestly, I'm thinking, if it doesn't work out, I would probably know by the September Virginia sale....

Comment

The 2 I own now I bought without sitting on. But I have very specific taste and with my mare was fortunate that the trainer was a totally honest person<lucked out> He told me everything about her including she is a Mare, LOL.

My baby....I have followed the stallion for years. I had no intentions of buying another horse until I saw his videos, sigh....

see pictures of both in my signature link.....also....QH people do go by breeding and much of it proves out
                    Adriane
                    Happily retired but used to be:
                    www.ParrotNutz.com

Comment

Never again.
                      Done it and would not do it again.
                      My ex-trainer brought my first horse from NZ and out of 2 years of owning him, he was sound only for 3 months. We got a very good deal because he wsa sitting in the pasture, but should have probably asked around for a reason of him sitting in the pasture. He passed PRE with flying colors, but had and still has defect which could only be seen on MRI, thus we missed it.
                      Should we been around the area we would have known that horse is chronically unsound.

Also, while being amazing ride he is very "crazy" on the ground and does not tolerate handle stall boarding to the point of having colics and dropping weight.

Obviously, there is no way I can sell an unsound horse, and while I love him to death, and will do everything possible to help him stay sound, I do wish we passed on him and let him live his life in that pasture in NZ.

With my second horse, we went to see him, asked around and I contacted a breeder back in Germany to find out as much of a history as possible.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

I've done it but not sure I'd do it again. I was thinking about breeding my mare to a very popular stallion known for offspring with good minds and athletiscm for what I wanted to do. I finally decided to shop instead for an unbroke youngster as that seemed to be slightly less risky. I found a yearling owned and bred by the stallion owner. He didn't cost any more than I thought I could afford to lose so I bought him. I would have gone to see him but they had a few other people lined up with trailers that wanted him, so I vetted him with a performance vet with a good reputation and shipped him home. I'll admit I've had moments where I wonder what I was thinking but he's by far the nicest horse I've ever owned. He's 5 now.

Make sure you don't spend more than you're comfortable losing and have him/her vetted.

Comment

YES, I have. Funny story.......breeder from Va. calls and tells me I just have to have her favorite small out of her favorite broodmare. She just finished placing very well in the yearling filly class at Devon. We talked price, and i told her I surely didnt need another pony. She kept telling me I needed her. Well, we went away at Christmas and arrived home Dec 31. Van driver calls me and says "Sandy, I have your Lucy Love on the van". I reply, "Thats funny, I never said I would purchase her nor did I pay for her". Well, an hour later she walks off the van.

Breeder says, when contacted, "I knew you needed her". I had so much fun with Lucy Love. I showed her in hand myself for 2 years and we started her under saddle and o'f's. She has since been sold and as I write, is #5 USEF Small Green Pony. Isn't it funny how things just work out sometimes.

I have had many customers purchase ponies from me via word of mouth. All went on to become show ponies.
                          Sandy
                          www.sugarbrook.com
                          hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

I just bought a foal sight unseen....

Not to say it is the smart thing to do. But I have his sire, who is now a gelding, three years old, and an exceptional horse with an amazing temperment. Because I own him in partnership, I am concentrating on getting him ready to sell. So when his foal was born with the same markings, and a colt, I took a chance. I can't wait to see him!!!
                            "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

Yep! Bought a sight unseen gelding from Germany. Had an agent that had seen it maybe once. We had never met or done business w/ agent but she had good recommendations. Got a 10 second video clip of it running wild in an indoor. They said it had been ridden.

2 years later have a WONDERFUL horse that has been nothing but lovely! I think we just got him sold in the barn!

*Also bought a TB off the track that we had vetted and bought through an agent who we would never use again and it was totally lame when it showed up. Had to give it away.

*Bought another ottb that we had for several years who was wonderful. Very useful and we just sold her and they love her!

Its a total shot in the dark! Have had some great and awful experiences.
                              www.patchworkfarmga.com

"The harder you train, the luckier you get!"

Comment

BO's daughter did. Horse was a 2 year old Fresian. She got many, many pictures and spent a lot of time talking with the owners. She had a very good feeling after talking with the owners and decided to buy him. She couldn't afford to fly up to see him but he was pretty cheap so she took the plunge. He's worked out wonderfully. He is an absolute joy to work with out of his stall. Inside his stall he kicks the door to demand your attention and dumps his water bucket However, his old owners had him living outside (all their horses did) so it's not like she would have known even if she had gone up to see him.

That being said, I'm not sure if I would ever be comfortable doing that. I'm very nervous by nature though.
                                No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                                For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                                www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I've bought five horses sight unseen online in the last several years:

1) I bought a WB foal from Germany in 2001. Loved his conformation, had a kind eye, and just took the risk. I raised him up and he was a 10 mover, absolute head-turning gorgeous, that ended up jumping like a gazelle. Loved him otherwise, but he was sold as a dressage horse. That's more of a statement on the risk of buying a baby, cause you don't know exactly how they'll develop. The actual purchase sight unseen was fine and it was fun raising him.

2) I also bought a pony foal in 2002. He turned out well- won a ribbon at pony finals and still gets leased year to year. I bought a Hidden Springs pony, so I was banking on the knowledge that they sell good hunter pony prospects. And they did. So that worked out.

3) 2004ish I bought a quarter pony from Canada for trail riding. Was wonderful guy, except he had been a reiner and would spin out if you mistakenly gave him the command to spin. So I sold him.

4) bought a 4 year old Holsteiner equitation prospect from Canada in 2005. Still own, he turned out to be exactly what we hoped, a good guy hunter/eq horse for juniors or amateurs, he's for sale now, but has been a good investment horse.

5) I bought another 4 y/o quarter pony in 2007. He is now the love of my life. Was exactly as advertised and more. Cute as a button and learning his changes, but I'm most happy that he's just awesome on the trails.

I saw videos of the German WB baby and the Holsteiner. The rest were bought based on photos/description alone. I'd say overall I'm really pleased. I'm more comfortable buying youngstock and inexpensive trail horses online. If I were shopping for a made show horse for myself, I'd for sure want to ride it first, because I'd need to click with it, and it would probably be a much bigger investment with a bigger downside if I bought it and hated it from the moment I sat on it.

I'm particularly tempted by online sales horses on a regular basis, as I run a classifieds site. Sometimes it's just SO tempting when I see what's listed and then I can't resist. That's how I found the Hidden Springs foal and the Holsteiner.

I'll also add that in each instance, the seller gave off a good "vibe" and for every horse I bought, there were others I just didn't feel right about. So follow your gut, because you are dealing with a stranger over the internet, and not every seller is upstanding... but that is true whether you're dealing with an online or in-person transaction.
                                  Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

Comment

I did - and it was NOT a good idea. Personally - I would never buy another horse without sitting on it. I think chemistry is vital.
                                    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557433725gtOAuC

Comment

Bought and sold sucessfully that way. They don't all work out, even with a PPE and a trial. It's really a crap shoot any way you do it.
                                      Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

Have done both. In some ways it has worked as we got one sight unseen who has been a multiple Supreme Halter Champion. Another time we got one for 25K and she turned out to be WORTHLESS!

Buyer beware. I won't buy one without going to look in person now. PPE can be a help also.

EquineLVR made some excellent suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X