• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Quick Question RE: Ground Poles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question RE: Ground Poles

I see people all of the time put poles approx 9 feet before the jump and 9 feet after the jump. What is the purpose of this. My guess would be that its to teach both rider and horse to find their distances better and to also make the horse rock off of the hind-end, but I thought I would ask to see if I was correct.

Bascially you answered your own question, the placing pole in front of the jump gives the horse/rider soemthing visual to show the the correct take off spot, and helps an over eager horse to slow and rock back. The placement pole after the jump helps the horse to round over the fence and be slower in the air.
    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

• Original Poster

I had a feeling that I knew what I was talking about, thanks for confirming it

Comment

Originally posted by shawneeAcres View Post
        Bascially you answered your own question, the placing pole in front of the jump gives the horse/rider soemthing visual to show the the correct take off spot, and helps an over eager horse to slow and rock back.
        But what about the overeager greenie with a huge stride? Should the pole still be placed at 9' in front of the jump? I had a crash yesterday doing an exercise where we had a pole to a trot fence, followed by three collected strides to a 2' canter jump to six collected strides to a 2'6 jump with a pole set out 9' in front. My mare went in nicely but got quicker as we got toward the last jump and then couldn't figure out what to do with the pole, got in too close to the jump and couldn't quite pick her legs up over it, so she just kind of fell through it. Though she did manage to stay on her feet, she sent me flying and I did a flip, landing on my back. Luckily I was able to get right back up. After this, my trainer lowered the jump and moved the pole back, and we were able to get through the exercise quite nicely. Of course it helped that my mare was a little backed off after our crash.

Anyway, does the 9' distance still make sense for a large, green horse who is still figuring out where to place her legs? If a horse's natural stride is 13' to 14' do you still place the poles at 9'?

Comment

Big stride has nothing to do with the right spot. The perfect takeoff and landing spots should always be the same (relative to height of the jump, of course.) The kind of horse you describe is exactly the reason I use placing poles. That overenthusiastic "I'm gonna jump from 10 feet out and land in the next zip code WHEEEEEEE!!" kind of horse learns to reel it in with placing poles.

What you need to alter with a big strided horse is the distance between the jumps, not the placing poles. Personally, I would avoid doing an exercise as you described with a big strided greenie until they learn to adjust a lot more.

The 9' distance can be tweaked a little bit; roll it out another foot for a huge horse or roll it in a little for a munchkin pony. But the point is to help them find the right spot.

Originally posted by EAY View Post
          But what about the overeager greenie with a huge stride? Should the pole still be placed at 9' in front of the jump? I had a crash yesterday doing an exercise where we had a pole to a trot fence, followed by three collected strides to a 2' canter jump to six collected strides to a 2'6 jump with a pole set out 9' in front. My mare went in nicely but got quicker as we got toward the last jump and then couldn't figure out what to do with the pole, got in too close to the jump and couldn't quite pick her legs up over it, so she just kind of fell through it. Though she did manage to stay on her feet, she sent me flying and I did a flip, landing on my back. Luckily I was able to get right back up. After this, my trainer lowered the jump and moved the pole back, and we were able to get through the exercise quite nicely. Of course it helped that my mare was a little backed off after our crash.

Anyway, does the 9' distance still make sense for a large, green horse who is still figuring out where to place her legs? If a horse's natural stride is 13' to 14' do you still place the poles at 9'?

Comment

Just a thought, when I'm working with a horse that is likely to land on the pole before they figure out what it is there to encourage, I sometimes use white painted ground "planks" instead - same affect, but less danger of slipping when accidentally stepped on.

Also must have attentive, educated ground person - sometimes pole needs to be rolled out (or in) a little until horse is figuring it out. Keep heights low until horse seems to understand, then start upping the ante with heights & rolling in or out ground pole to accomplish whatever goal.

Arcadien

Comment

If you are cantering the fence then the pole needs to be adjusted to the stride that you are on. If you have a 9 ft. placement pole you need to be on about a 9 ft stride. If you are on a 12 ft stride you roll the pole out to 12 ft. You want the take off spot to be about 1/2 of the distance between the jump and the pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven-up View Post
                Big stride has nothing to do with the right spot. The perfect takeoff and landing spots should always be the same (relative to height of the jump, of course.) The kind of horse you describe is exactly the reason I use placing poles. That overenthusiastic "I'm gonna jump from 10 feet out and land in the next zip code WHEEEEEEE!!" kind of horse learns to reel it in with placing poles.

What you need to alter with a big strided horse is the distance between the jumps, not the placing poles. Personally, I would avoid doing an exercise as you described with a big strided greenie until they learn to adjust a lot more.

The 9' distance can be tweaked a little bit; roll it out another foot for a huge horse or roll it in a little for a munchkin pony. But the point is to help them find the right spot.
                Yup! We use them with the ponies all the time with this exact thing in mind.
                "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by fourmares View Post
                  If you are cantering the fence then the pole needs to be adjusted to the stride that you are on. If you have a 9 ft. placement pole you need to be on about a 9 ft stride. If you are on a 12 ft stride you roll the pole out to 12 ft. You want the take off spot to be about 1/2 of the distance between the jump and the pole.
                  i was never good at math so excuse me if i am visualizing this wrong

i would think that you would want the take off spot to be the same regardless of how big the horse's stride is-that you would adjust the stride to the spot, not the spot to the stride. so if you put the pole out 12' and you want the horse to take off 1/2 btwn the pole and the jump, that makes the spot 6' out. then you get on another smaller strided horse, move the pole up to 9' and suddently the spot is 4.5' out for the same jump? that doesn't compute in my (admittedly non-mathy) brain. i would think the spot, pole and jump should all stay the same-it's the horse that has to change. or am i completley wrong here?
                  My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Comment

Originally posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
                    i was never good at math so excuse me if i am visualizing this wrong

i would think that you would want the take off spot to be the same regardless of how big the horse's stride is-that you would adjust the stride to the spot, not the spot to the stride. so if you put the pole out 12' and you want the horse to take off 1/2 btwn the pole and the jump, that makes the spot 6' out. then you get on another smaller strided horse, move the pole up to 9' and suddently the spot is 4.5' out for the same jump? that doesn't compute in my (admittedly non-mathy) brain. i would think the spot, pole and jump should all stay the same-it's the horse that has to change. or am i completley wrong here?
                    for the exercise that had the horse crashing through the fence...The poles in between need to be the horses stride. If you are doing this with a greenie most are not going to adjust their 15' stride to 12' on their own.

It's kind of a catch 22. Yes the exercise can be used to teach the horse adjustability. BUT it should be started on a smaller scale. such as canter poles on the ground.

So if the stride is set to horses 15' stride then it stands to reason that the pole is on the stride length.

However just cantering in to the fence or through a line with no other poles the 9' pole forces them to adjust their own stride to the spot.

Also it stands to be noted that a bigger fence requires a bigger take off.

Also when measuring your standard hunter lines you include an extra 12'. 6' for take off and 6' for landing. So a ground pole in reality should be 12' from the jump as the take off spot is half that at 6'.

It all get's confusing because when riders or trainers don't understand all the variations they can get the rider and/or horse hurt or frightened.

also to answer your question at the end. When you shorten it for a pony you have to remember a pony stride is smaller the a horses SO yes the take off area is theoretically shorter but the distance and spot works out because they don't take as big of a stride in....I don't think I explained that quite right

Comment

It may have been mentioned already, but in respons to the big greenie with a long stride.

You will want to make sure that your horse understands the exercize. Starting out at 9 ft might not be conducive as your horse will perhaps consider the landing rail the back part of an oxer and try to reach across.

Starting low, maybe with 3 canter rails is a good way to introduce the landing rail. You might, once you build a jump in the middle, have to roll the landing rail out a little to start out. The goal should be for your horse to look to land a bit closer to the jump and bascule or create a good curve to the jump rather then jump flat across.

I find this exercize to work better (once learned) over bigger jumps. As it forces your horse to still jump correctly rather then just "find the ground" faster.
                      Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

Well, it isn't so much that you change the distance of the pole because the horse is smaller strided, as much as you change the pole because you are going to ride on a different length stride... so if you are cantering down a line set at normal horse show distances (12 ft. strides) you need to canter in on a 12 ft stride, so the pole needs to be 12 ft away from the jump. however if you are schooling at home you might want to be on a 9 foot stride to teach your horse to wait or to rock back on their hocks and go more to the base. Then you would put the pole at 9 feet... personally I hate cantering fences with a placement pole... makes me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by EAY View Post

If my greenie was still trying to figure out where to put her legs, she would still be trotting jumps with an 8' placing rail. Lots and lots of trotting jumps. Weeks and weeks and weeks of trotting jumps.

A row of jumps encourages forward, not what you want for an overeager greenie. You want your greenie to learn to slow up to the base and push from behind.

OTOH, the exercise DID do what exercises are supoosed to teach them. She did it wrong and the set up corrected her. However by moving the pole she learned that being on her big overeager stride was the right thing to do.

Comment

I use the 9' rail only at the trot. I tweak the distance for a big jump but really the point is to help young horse or rider see where the spot is.. on the going horses its to remind them to rock back or wait. Even jogging it at 4' jump it may only be to 10' out.. jog in, rock back jump.

For cantering I go to 12' again for the help finding the spot to pat and jump. I like them to stay soft down to the fence and find that if I give too much room they want to get too go-ey. if there is a fence after this one.. and it's NOT part of a gymnastic, I don't put it closer than 3 steps because I dont want them to hurry with their feet.. so jog in to 9'rail and lope out in 4 OR canter in at 12' and lope out in 3.

as far as the hind 9' rail I dont use them unless the horse keeps jumping across the fence and I want to work on the arc.

Oh and for heanven's sake don't put a bunch of close together trot poles (shortening the step) in front of a full distance in and out, people collecting to nothing and then lunging to make the right distance makes me crazy..
                            "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Comment

I've only used placing poles with a gymnastic: in front of the first jump; after the last jump; and in between elements ONLY if they are a one-stride configuration. IOW, I don't use them in any part of a multi-stride (2 or 3 stride) configuration.

Also, for your big-strided type, you might want to progressively roll that placing pole in toward the jump, say, to 8' or 7.5', etc., as the point is to have them be able to come to the base of the jump. This is for a trotting approach.

I've seen a very BNT place poles within 4' of the jump (if not closer, memory fuzzy on exact detail, but not on the impression it made), with the expectation that the horse will step over the placement pole, and seriously pat the ground before jumping the jump in question. It took everyone awhile to get the hang of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X