• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Most anal barn/trainer rule?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The first "barn" I boarded at (I always had my horses at home, so I've just been in two boarding situations) did instill in me the habit of cleaning my tack each time I use it. At first I thought that was absurd, but then realized it wasn't and it's been habit ever since.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same w/ me! The first or second barn I was at had a rule that you had to A) Clean every piece of tack every time after you rode B) Saddle pads and polos were washed IMMEDIATELY after being used C)Every horse's legs were washed w/ Orvus and warm water after you rode. And you HAD to towel dry them until they were totally dry~! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I still clean my tack like 1-2x a week, but some of that is extreme! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~Sarah
    ~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~

Comment

we were only allowed to play country music on the radio at the barn. My trainer's sister was a country music (and control) freak. It didn't matter if I was there at 10pm braiding horses, if she came in the barn she would flip if there wasn't country music playing - she claimed it soothed the horses.

Comment

I now know of three barns that don't allow jumps set up and left in the arena??? Like, you can set them up before you ride, but you have to take them down and put them away after you ride. gooood...bye..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome to my world BossHoss! The last 2 stables we've been at if you wanted to jump you had to set them up right before hand and take them down right after. Putting them away in a nice geometrical eye pleasing pile as well! This explains why my poor Tin man hasn't been over a jump since way into the summer! lol!

Lets see what else can I add to the list....

-no turning on the lights in the owner's side of the barn, well duh! we had to walk through the owners side of the barn to get to the arena

-scoop poo IMMEDIATLY after your ride (arena and outdoor ring)

-anything left out was confiscated or comviniantly misplaced. Try stuffing tack/equipment for two horses in a 12" by 12" locker, got smart though and started to pile everything ontop of my saddle rack! ha!

-no more than one blanket hanging on the stall, others were to be put away (where? that 12" locker isn't like those little clown cars)

-lights for arena had to be turned out BEFORE leaving the arena even if another person is just about to come in

-horses with studs/corks/caulks/borium had to be cross tied on the mat. Fine, but they were 12 borders in the winter time and one mat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
          ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Comment

There's nothing that will make you appreciate where you are like reading the absolute insanities that some of you have to put up with. My one boarded out horse would come home in a NY minute if I had to do some of that stuff.

We have to clean the wash/grooming stalls immediately and poop from the driveway/courtyard but that's it.
            'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
            - Pablo Picasso

Comment

I'm Soooooooo glad that I have my horses at home. And the tack room is as sloppy as it can get before I can't walk. My tack gets cleaned when I feel the whim (its crappy stuff anyway - i need a new saddle and bridle sooooo bad). The hose is almost never coiled (not really possible in the winter because it will crack if you try). I don't ahve arena lights. Radio would be on hard rock if it could pick it up but its on pop. lets see. . . I don't oil my horses feet - it doesn't help anyway. all of my stuff for schooling never matches - ie burgundy splint boots, white bell boots (well tannish now from age) blue or blakc gloves, depending on which I can find. Whatever saddle pad I can find. Hunter green chaps, usually navy blue jodphurs underneath, black helmet.

And do I care? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Is it worse to have insane rules, or no rules at all and everyone out to get each other for imagined or real transgressions? I mean, I've been around stables were people are just so stupid, you start to wonder about how they can actually learn to walk...let alone have a horse and ride. Without barn rules of any type it just turns into a free-for-all and you can barely ride in the arena, or stand in a cross tie without having people act in the most idiotic manner.

I think we need a new list for the most stupid boarders you've been around--when there haven't been any hard and fast rules...just common sense would do. But, NO, these people don't have any whatsoever!

Not really venting, it just brought it to mind. I'm always stunned by the people who walk right by my horse when I've been tied in an aisle (because its the only legal place to groom) and they walk under the cross ties and on top of your horse. Or barn owners that place metal garbage containers in the corners of a grooming area behind the horse. Then there are the people who leave equipment all over the floor or don't close arena doors, don't announce themselves and scare the beegeebers out of your horse when they enter the ring, etc. Okay, so maybe I am venting! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It's not that I've boarded at places like this, more that I've had to teach lessons at places like these and I'm always stunned.

Okay, I'm done now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Must just be that it's "hump" day.
                "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Velvet, I think this deserves its own thread.
                  'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
                  - Pablo Picasso

Comment

My trainer frined had a road manager who would not allow the feeding of carrots. Said it made them bite. Couldn't even drop them in the feed tub! 'Control freak' is the phrase that comes to mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I would not want any horse turned out in their entire "night time" attire ... Why? Because if they run and play and sweat, you will end up with a sick horse. They also need the sunshine on their backs... now if a horse is clipped, old or prone to illness, I would want a turnout rug on them.

Comment

TXtrainer, I've encountered that one A LOT (having to pick up the poop--although never having to dismount immediately to do so!). The problem is that it tends to lead to "whose poop is it" arguments.

I encountered an anal rule about having to pick out the hoofs into a muck bucket (the thrust was that you shouldn't let any of it drop on the aisle floor). That same barn, you had to sweep each and every time to led a horse in or out if it lefts little bits of dirt or bedding behind. Made you want to teach the beast to tippy toe down the aisle.

At the Equine Research Center at Cornell University, when I worked there in the first semester of my freshman year--I'm adding all the qualifiers to be sure you realize I don't know if they are still doing this--they mucked out the stalls with shovels, EVERY DAY. Took out all the perfectly clean shavings as well as the poop. Each and every day...and this wasn't the barn where anything special was going on in terms of having a need for hyper-hygene.

Oh, on the jumps. I once leased an aisle in a barn where most of the folks jumped little stuff or single fences (never gymnastics). I got into clashes with the boarders because, even though they always left the jumps as they were--often jumping the same things for weeks on end until there were craters in front of every jump. I'd come in and set up a grid and leave it up, or set up something big--and they'd complain because I was setting up stuff they couldn't jump. The owner tried to solve the problem by "designing" a "new" course every week that everyone had to use or reset if they changed it. No one ever changed it except me, of course, so I was always lugging the jumps around.

Sportponies Unlimited
                        Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
                        Shameless signature plugplugplug.
                        Sportponies Unlimited
                        Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Comment

Happy to see I inspired somebody [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I heard of one place that duct taped the radio so you couldn't turn up the volume or change the channel.
                            Barn workers were told to work at opposite ends of the aisle and NO talking!
                            Boarders were not allowed to speak to the barn workers while barn workers were working which was always!
                            If you finished all your work early and did an amazing job, you had to sit down and write out (on a piece of paper) why you did NOT perform your duties properly as to be finished before your required time!! Like 100 times!
                            Working students had 8:30p.m. curfews (even if you were a legal adult) and had to ask permission to "go out" with friends to a movie etc. Then they were told that if they had so much spare time that they could go see a movie, they had better stay home and wash the "acid rain" off the trailer, in the middle of winter and in the dark!!!!

Comment

That made me remember a job where I was teaching at the barn (hired on) and the owner didn't want me to franternize with the boarders. So, here I was, thousands of miles from my friends, working only in the barn all day long, and I wasn't allowed to make friends with anyone (and I certainly wasn't friends with the owner). Then I made the mistake of hanging out with the barn manager and got kicked out (guess she had the hots for him even though she was married). What weirdness. Okay, you can work for us, but you can't have a life. Gee, sounds good to me! Needless to say, I was only there 3 weeks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                              "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

At my barn there are no rules. But if you piss the owners off you are SOL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                                \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Comment

Robbierox The rules you've described are BEYOND anal lol.

And I thought I'd heard it all * sheesh *
                                  http://community.webshots.com/user/seven7109

Comment

My barn has a small tack shop and everytime anyone leaves polos out, they are taken and washed and put into a big basket in the shop. You can buy back your polos for 2 dollars a peice..... And some of the polos have names and everything. It is common practice for all of us to go into the shop before our lessons and buy back our polos [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

BEYOND THE BEYOND!!!!!
                                      Brilyntrip

Comment

My trainer's indoor ring door has a sign on it that says "please pick out feet so we only have to sweep a little bit."

For the longest time I thought that that meant she wanted us to pick out our horse's feet when we got IN the indoor, before we rode, as opossed to when we LEFT the indoor, after our ride. I never said anything b/c I just thought she was a little . . . eccentric. When it finally dawned on me what she meant. . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

At my current barn we have pages of rules including...

picking up after your horse in the indoor
                                          putting away jumps, poles, etc. after your ride in the indoor
                                          putting away poles and barrels and putting jumps up properly in the outdoor (meaning no pole can be resting entirely on the ground... something about how the guy who usually drags it always bangs into poles on the ground)

honestly, I don't see a whole lot wrong with any of our rules given that 1- we're on a military base and therefore they dictate quite a few rules (ie: quarantine procedure, mandated stall cleaning every day, etc.) and 2- our membership is always changing due to people moving and we have such a wide variety of disciplines/breeds/knowledge.

Some of the rules others have mentioned... WOW! Gotta go, see ya... NO WAY! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
                                          "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Working...
                                          X