• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I HATE Low rise breeches. Surely someone must make hunter breeches w/ a regular waist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE Low rise breeches. Surely someone must make hunter breeches w/ a regular waist

HELP! I am looking for breeches with a waist that is actually waist height - not low rise. But that seems to be all that is available these days.

I look HORRIBLE in these supposedly fashionable low waist style of breeches. Sure they may look fine on girls in their teens or early twenties. But Im not one of those!

Im still a very active rider in my 50's and am in good shape but I will not be seen in public in that style! Manufacturers should cater to those of us with money to spend on riding attire. Somehow, they don't seem to have gotten the message that those of us in mid life with careers actually have Money to spend on our riding hobbies! Gee Whiz!

Everyting I see tends to be aimed at the younger set. It is very frustrating!

I have a pair of denim breeches that I've had for about 8 years that are SO comfortable and have a "classic" waist that sits right at waist height. So far I have NOT been able to find anything even close to that fit. I jump so would prefer the hunter style but at this point, would clearly consider full seat if that was all I could find.

Appreciate all your ideas!

Ariat pro circuit makes both regular height and low rise. I too prefer the regular height. Great pair of breeches, machine wash and dry, still look fabulous after many many shows.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

im 16 and sooooo prefer the regular rise!!!!!!

tailored sportsman has regular rise in all of their styles as does ariat i believe but im a tailoreds fan myself!

if you want the fun colored tailoreds in regular rise you can order them from farmhousetack.com
      Dacharia = best mare in the world

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=65951e5185

Comment

I second the Ariats. Their fabric is nice, too. I believe TS also makes at least one non-low rise model. For schooling, the Cotton Naturals are very comfortable and have full coverage.
        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Tailored Sportsman makes all of their breeches in both regular and low rise; I believe Ariat does the same. You can also get Pikeur breeches in regular and low rise. Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I wear Trainer's Choice Rene - sit at the waist and wick moisture. Love them although you cannot find them everywhere. Comfortable, wash well and war well. Love them. I think you can find them at VTO Saddlery on line - or try eBay as often there at greatly reduced prices new with tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
              Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)
              I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.

Comment

i am 17 and much prefer the regular rise too i mean, i can get away with low rise just fine, i'll wear it if i really want a pair of breeches that dont come in anything with a regular/higher rise (sometimes they do, but i dont feel like special ordering some things, yano?)

however, there are plenty of breeches that come in regular rise. All of the tailored sportsman breeches come in both low and regular rise options. not the cheapest, but theyre great breeches. ariat also makes a few of their breeches with a reg rise option, i believe. i have some kerrits schooling tights that didnt really come in an option, but they are a regular rise. on me, theyre even kind of high, and normally a regular rise only comes up to about my belly button (i have long legs, maybe thats why. it's funny though, cause i've got a short torso. i know plenty of super tall lanky people who claim the reg rise is almost a shelf bra on them, and i have no idea how its possible that theyre fine on me and not on them, but who cares? haha) i also have some cheap sigma and tuffrider ones that are a regular rise. plenty of breeches come in this option.
                (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

I hear ya!! I am VERY long waisted and low rise causes "carpenter crack" on me, which is NOT flattering!!!
                  www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the good ideas.
                    Will check out ebay - have had some success there before. And will look for TS and Ariats. I really need some good schooling breeches so hope I can find something that fits well and isnt too much $$$.

Comment

Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
                      IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateer View Post
                        Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
                        IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).
                        Haha YES! Devon Aire Hipsters are also that way.

I second the Kerrits! I'm wearing their low rise and they are SO comfortable. Seriously I can't wait to buy a few more pairs!!

Comment

You might want to try low-rise in a Long or Tall. Yes, the legs are a bit longer, but who cares...they're tucked into your socks. I find the Long low-rise is a nice compromise between regular rise and low-rise.
                          ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

I'm 33 yrs old, 5"8 and 140 lbs (size 30 long TS) and cannot possibly wear the regular rise any more! They are up around my breasts and make it look like i have male genitals! That being said, i only ride in low rise TS and have never felt that they were too low, or were anywhere near a carpenter crack. this is an interesting thread b/c there are all different ages chiming in and it would be interesting (although i am not asking anyone to disclose their body type) if one body type prefers regular rise over low rise....

Comment

Originally posted by PNWjumper View Post
                              I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.
                              I think breeches are cut like this on purpose...it's so only your breeches show when your coat flaps in the breeze around course. You don't want your shirt showing.

Luckily, I'm short waisted so if the TS breeches are a bit high, they fit perfectly on me. I love the 4-way, especially the color...a nice light tan.

I think the low-rise were invented for the under 25 crowd who like to wear their jeans low enough so their underwear (whatever type) shows. I'm now seeing "muffin top" with the breech-wearing crowd. Yuk...put on your granny breeches if that's going to happen.
                              Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii). The regular rise certainly eliminates any shirt showing beneath my jacket but is extremely uncomfortable because the waistline sits right under my ribcage. The low-rise TS sits right at my bellybutton which is much closer to my actual wait. I agree that the Ariats are cut too low, so I stick with the TS. Anything, breeches, jeans, you-name-it that sit below my hip bones are too low and will not be worn.
                                "Beware the hobby that eats."
                                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
                                  I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii).
                                  You wore breeches to Hawaii?

Comment

Naw, but I did get an awesome saddle pad!
                                    "Beware the hobby that eats."
                                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateer View Post
                                      (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

But seriously, I have a terrible time finding breeches. Most regular waist breeches are too short in the rise, and the low rise won't stay up on my flat can. Pikeur made one style that fit perfectly, the Cathy. I bought one pair in 2005 the last time I was there, and should have bought more of them. Of course, since then, Pikeur stopped making them.
                                      2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I have three pairs of the Ariat fawn Pro Circuits (regular rise) that retail for $200+, purchased on eBay for $89. Apparently the fawn color wasn't popular, but it's perfect for schooling. Just do a search on something like Ariat + fawn + ProCircuit + breech. They show up pretty regularly.

Agree with Pirateer about the Ariat low rise. I can live with the TS or the Tuff Rider low rise.
                                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                                        X