• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Video of my to-be A/O hunter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of my to-be A/O hunter

This guy was a surprise 21st birthday present from my parents. He had come into my old trainer's farm as a sale project (his previous owner was moving and only had room on her trailer to take 6...he was number 7); he couldn't hold his canter for more than a long side, over-jumped everything by 3 feet, rode completely off his elbows, had no idea what to do with his hind end...he was basically a barely broke 7 year old. Fast forward to just 7 months later, and this is what I've got! He's still learning his changes and muscling up, but we're planning to start him in the pre-greens come June. He is very bored at 3'0" however and gets lazy, but he's a BLAST over 3'6" so I'm seriously looking forward to getting to do him in the A/Os in 2010!

This is my trainer on board, but he's this easy for anyone to ride. I would love any opinions on him; I think he's quite the horse, but I'm biased!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8OZA3eq5U8
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I think he's super cute and looks like he's green enough to still be a fun and challenging ride without being difficult. I think the person left him behind was insane, but he surely found a better home with you.

Your trainer is a very nice rider! Have fun with him! Post some video from your show!

Comment

Warning to anybody who watches this...HIT MUTE.

Anyway, I would bet when you get him over some real 3' show fences with the 3' width and lots of stuffing, faux walls and roll tops, he might brighten up some. Airy little fences at home with ground rails are boring.

What kind of bridle is that? Looks like it's got alot of shank on it. Trainer is sitting pretty deep too...how does he go when you trust him and float the reins a little?

He looks fine for where he is. Need to wait and see how he dows at the shows over the real stuff and between the jumps style wise to make any pronouncements about the 3'6". Especially as a Hunter..or are you planning on moving him to the Jumper ring after he gets some miles?
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
        Warning to anybody who watches this...HIT MUTE.

Anyway, I would bet when you get him over some real 3' show fences with the 3' width and lots of stuffing, faux walls and roll tops, he might brighten up some. Airy little fences at home with ground rails are boring.

What kind of bridle is that? Looks like it's got alot of shank on it. Trainer is sitting pretty deep too...how does he go when you trust him and float the reins a little?

He looks fine for where he is. Need to wait and see how he dows at the shows over the real stuff and between the jumps style wise to make any pronouncements about the 3'6". Especially as a Hunter..or are you planning on moving him to the Jumper ring after he gets some miles?
        He schools around the warm-up rings *great* and definitely jumps better with filler. I've jumped him around 3'6" and he does very, very well; it's just a matter of miles at this point.

The bridle is an itty-bitty tom thumb rubber pellham...shortest shanks I could find . He could jump around just as happily in a halter and lead rope, but we use the pellham to create leverage for the changes.

He's about the laziest bum I've ever known...she has HONKING spurs on, but you have to drive him forward from your seat as well. He's also like riding a couch...you really don't *want* to get out of the tack because he just sucks you in and holds you there . He'll get down to the fences just fine on the buckle, but he definitely still needs a little help balancing on the other side.

I didn't know people found Sufjan Stevens' song "Chicago" offensive :::shrugs:::
        Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Comment

He is very attractive and what a nice mover. You're a lucky person
          Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Punkie View Post
            I didn't know people found Sufjan Stevens' song "Chicago" offensive :::shrugs:::
            I didn't. Just real loud real quick.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I learned my lesson ages ago and just don't even turn on the volume. Although I did listen to someone's the other day and it was Drowning Pool which suits my taste, especially since they are friends of mine!

Comment

Congratulations! What a wonderful b-day present!

His front end is super cute and square regardless of where the rider put him to the jumps. He seems like he's got a good sense of humor about leaving from any distance.

What is going on with the horse's hind legs over the jumps? Was it just fatigue? His hind legs never go over the jumps together.
                Last edited by tidy rabbit; May. 15, 2009, 02:28 PM.
                Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                  I didn't. Just real loud real quick.
                  I'm at work so I appreciated the warning!

Anyway, he's super cute and looks like a nice, willing guy. I'm sure you will have a blast working with him. Good luck!

Comment

That's for those of us watching at work.
                    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

He is twisting his front end over jumps. Not as bad at some jumps than others and not at all the jumps. He looked great over the wht/blk oxer though. I have to agree he is bored with those jumps He can be a little loose and sloppy with his backend also over them. He will jump off the forehand also at times. I think its just being green and bored and possibly the rider. He is adorable. Love his pace and just overall appereance. I think he is going to do really well for you
                      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

to-be A/O hunter

Good for you!!! However, PLEASE, lose the pelham!!! Its a huge cop-out in the hunter ring. And,as others have said, he would chill and relaxe if she wasnt digging him with her deep 3point. Why arnt you on the video????

Comment

Would love to see him in something other than a pelham. I find it almost impossible to tell a horses ability (especially a hunter) in one. He seems super willing as well as forgiving. Its hard to tell what his abilities would be at 3'6" from the vid.
                          Punch!
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/punch2800

Comment

You said he needed the pelham to leverage his changes, I've never heard of that before. What is your trainer's explanation?
                            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by snarkey View Post
                              Good for you!!! However, PLEASE, lose the pelham!!! Its a huge cop-out in the hunter ring. And,as others have said, he would chill and relaxe if she wasnt digging him with her deep 3point. Why arnt you on the video????
                              He schools in the pelham. He shows in a regular dee-bit. But then again, my large pony and my junior hunter both went in pelhams...my large was champion or reserve champion at almost every major A show on the east coast at some point during the late 90's/early 00's and my jr. hunter won zone finals on more than one occasion, but hey, maybe I just had a bunch of judges overlook the bit

I don't think you can get much more relaxed than him...he's about as calm as they come; nothing phases him. Again, he's really starting to build up muscle and is still very lazy and needs to be pushed from behind. I just cliniced with Buddy Brown and this was the way he suggested that the horse be ridden for a little while to encourage him to drive from behind (or as Buddy said "I want you to cowgirl and ride that hind end!"). When I get the DVD back, I'll put up the one of Buddy on him...he didn't move an inch from the saddle.

...I'm not in the video because I'm the videographer? My horses are all pro-ridden several times a week and I wanted to get a video of him with my trainer on board. Considering the fact that he's my hunter, I'm more concerned about how he's going in general than how I'm riding him right now. I have practice horses for me to work on myself. I only ride him twice a week right now (for my lessons) as we are focusing on him getting through the Pre-greens this season with my trainer. Once we work a few more of his kinks out (mainly the fact that he's being very lazy with his limbs over the jumps and his changes), I'll probably do him in the adults with my other guy towards the middle of this season, but I'm more focused on riding/showing my more ready-to-go horses myself right now and leaving the young ones to my trainer.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                                Congratulations! What a wonderful b-day present!

His front end is super cute and square regardless of where the rider put him to the jumps. He seems like he's got a good sense of humor about leaving from any distance.

What is going on with the horse's hind legs over the jumps? Was it just fatigue? His hind legs never go over the jumps together.
                                We actually noticed that and were wondering the same thing as well, so we had the vet take a quick peek at him (lucky for us he was there that day). He said my big guy has naturally weak stifles (he's - obviously - long-backed and also hip high), so he gave us a bunch of exercises to do with him and he's going to give him a medication that is an alternative to blistering (I've had horses blistered before with no adverse results, but the more I read about it, the more I worry about it causing significant discomfort), though I can't remember the name of it. So part of his awkward hind end is that he's super lazy and the other is that he's not quite strong enough yet.

Comment

Oooohhh, Bad trainer for jumping the cross-rail oxer backwards, could have been ugly :-(

Lovely horse though, lucky girl!!!

Comment

He schools in the pelham. He shows in a regular dee-bit. But then again, my large pony and my junior hunter both went in pelhams...my large was champion or reserve champion at almost every major A show on the east coast at some point during the late 90's/early 00's and my jr. hunter won zone finals on more than one occasion, but hey, maybe I just had a bunch of judges overlook the bit

I don't think you can get much more relaxed than him...he's about as calm as they come; nothing phases him. Again, he's really starting to build up muscle and is still very lazy and needs to be pushed from behind. I just cliniced with Buddy Brown and this was the way he suggested that the horse be ridden for a little while to encourage him to drive from behind (or as Buddy said "I want you to cowgirl and ride that hind end!"). When I get the DVD back, I'll put up the one of Buddy on him...he didn't move an inch from the saddle.

...I'm not in the video because I'm the videographer? My horses are all pro-ridden several times a week and I wanted to get a video of him with my trainer on board. Considering the fact that he's my hunter, I'm more concerned about how he's going in general than how I'm riding him right now. I have practice horses for me to work on myself. I only ride him twice a week right now (for my lessons) as we are focusing on him getting through the Pre-greens this season with my trainer. Once we work a few more of his kinks out (mainly the fact that he's being very lazy with his limbs over the jumps and his changes), I'll probably do him in the adults with my other guy towards the middle of this season, but I'm more focused on riding/showing my more ready-to-go horses myself right now and leaving the young ones to my trainer.
                                    Punkie, I think people these days get disenfranchised with the idea of a hunter doing coursework with the rider in the saddle. People don't seem to understand that the ends cannot also be the means and that with such being logically and practially true, one cannot acheive the "hunter ride" by floating them from day one. They don't understand that the ride in the ring is not achieved by riding that way at home.

I actually found it refreshing to find a rider trying to put them together and get the horse moving from him hind end instead of dumping him on his face in the name of hunterism. It's about improving the horse and moving their balance point to their hind end so they can stretch without getting low in the shoulder...one cannot make the horse better by leaving it be in a light seat early on, as much as we would all like this to be true.

It takes months and months for green horses to learn to stretch into a hunter frame while staying connected behind and not dump onto the forehand. The beginning work should always encompass a lot of deep seat work to encourage them to stay balanced and light.

I'll bet Buddy didn't move from the saddle! because he knows how to get horses truly connected and going correctly before getting light. Post the video or PM it to me if you have a chance; I'd enjoy seeing it.

People also want to see amazing form from day one. I for one like to see one as relaxed as he is. the ones with big jumps often aren't impressed with schooling fences (although those didn't look 3 foot). Relaxedness and balance should always come first with a greenie; sharpening their form should come later when there is something there to be shaped.

Congrats on a great birthday present (I'm jealous!). He's cute and I bet is really nice at 3'6.
                                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

• Original Poster

As for questions about how deep she's sitting on him, here's a video of her on my 3'0" hunter (much further along in his training) from the same day, about 30 minutes earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vw-5JmKffw

He's far more ready for that light floaty ride and is much more sensitive to your leg. She's very good about give each horse a different ride, but always the ride they need that day. She likes to school this one in a pelham as well (he can get low and racey and respects the curb chain better than just a snaffle), but he also shows in a dee bit.

Comment

I'm confused... I've always heard/done "bitting up" for the show ring, but never bitting down... As requested earlier, can you explain your trainer's reasoning for it?

ETA: if your trainer wants an oxer that she can jump both ways, perhaps you can suggest to her setting a Swedish oxer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X