• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hello NH!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello NH!!!!

Hi everyone (all 6 or so of us). What is everyone doing with this freezing weather and lovely ice? I'm just a bit envious as my trainer and others are headed to Ocala for a couple of weeks of riding/showing in the sun. Who is riding right now, who isn't and any other news.

I am riding maybe twice a week if I can get the trailer safely out of the driveway (skating rink). My horses are fuzzy and unfit. I am however tack shopping to satisfy my desire to do something that has to do with riding. Getting measured for custom chaps (Christmas gift). Can't wait for them and the spring.

Let's hear what you are up to.
  • Original Poster

Hi everyone (all 6 or so of us). What is everyone doing with this freezing weather and lovely ice? I'm just a bit envious as my trainer and others are headed to Ocala for a couple of weeks of riding/showing in the sun. Who is riding right now, who isn't and any other news.

I am riding maybe twice a week if I can get the trailer safely out of the driveway (skating rink). My horses are fuzzy and unfit. I am however tack shopping to satisfy my desire to do something that has to do with riding. Getting measured for custom chaps (Christmas gift). Can't wait for them and the spring.

Let's hear what you are up to.

Comment

This winter is just awful. Luckily, I have one of my horses down in Rhode Island in training. So, I try to get down there a couple of times a week and can at least ride in a freezing indoor - no ice or snow to worry about. However, I am trying to sell my other horse so I have had him home most of the winter. Right now he is down in Rhode Island too as I have a few people looking at him. I told my trainer he HAS to get him sold as I can't bring him home - his pasture is one huge skating rink. And, he is not exactly sensible when turned out. Counting the days until spring!!!!!!!

Comment

I haven't touched a horse in a couple of months!

Considering starting lessons in the spring, depends on my financial situation. Getting my fix talking to others and by reading this board!

Maybe someone wants to stuff me in a tack trunk for the trip down to Ocala? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I hear the new grounds are incredible!!

Comment

With inflatable palm trees and beach balls!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

No, I'm really not. It is a good idea though, and considering everyone (yes, Wonder Why and I go to the same barn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) is making like geese and flying south, the assistant trainer and I got a chuckle out of the "decoration" idea. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well, right now Spencer and I are working on our jumping (we've suffered a couple minor setbacks), and staying home and playing. I hope to do some more shows when the Gang gets back...but for now we're just schooling with everyone else in the happy indoor.

Mel - Wendy looked great last time!!! How's the great white wonder, Tory, doing?

- **Co-Founder of the Everyone Thinks I'm A Pessimist Club**
          - I'm workin' on it...
          \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
          - T. Robinson

Comment

Who is coming along fantastically! I am so proud of him. As much as I hate winter I'm fortunate enough to have an indoor which I would die without. But, I can't completely bash this winter.. It's been pretty mild. Aside from the everyday loss of all feeling from my ankles down(feels like your walking on stumps.. pleasant, really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) The ocassional freezing of the paddock hose and having to lug 5 gallon buckets to fill my horses tank, It's been super.

Although, I absolutely CAN NOT wait until the days when I can ride in the huge outdoor, just have to watch I dont get my white bell boots dirty [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I am so going to take advantage of summer. At this point I dont care how hot it gets, I'll just think about how fridgidly cold it is right now.

I'm actually starting the show season relatively early(for me anyway). Hopefully taking Aly to his first little 2-Phase at the end of April. Well, thats about it. And Lindsey, you will be so proud to hear that Aly did his first triple bounce over x-rails last night! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] All I can say is , So much Fun!!

Britney

*It's funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word
            We are screaming inside, but we can't be heard*
            *Britney*
            ~Rush Hour~

**Proud owner of a spunky Alydar grandson**

Comment

Just gotta love good 'Ol NH!

Yesterday was lets just say interesting. It was our night to do chores, there are exactaly 2 skating rinks out in the pastures, due to them being on a hill, everything was melting and then, bang, big freeze.

My horse has been really full of it... I was long lining her yesterday and we had a very naughty green horse brain fart....

Our indoor attaches to the barn aisle, well we decided that we were going to end working and go out there, but, it she was sort of panicy... for some reason.

She went backwards<backing up> from the indoor into the aisle and almost down the main aisle.... its sort of set up like a T.

Well, that was corrected and we didn't do it again... just after my dad left to go to DD<dunkin donuts> we had another stupid move.

Huge chunk of ice/snow fell off the indoor, we didn't know what to do withour self.... we went in circles making the lunge line go around her neck<have you ever seen a reining horse do a spin?> she was exactly like that.... hindfeet didn't move, just flew around with those front feet<sort of turning on the haunches but really fast>..

So, after we got untangled, I checked her all out and she was fine, I got on her and rode her, everything went really well.... shes now BENDING! which is a huge accomplishment... shes bending and going round and forward... I knew we could do more than 2 things at one time!

Oh and our BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT of the night was, we put a hay bale out in the indoor and we jumped it.... my horse has never jumped that type of thing....

first try, we went sailing over it!!! woohoo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It was the wide way, which was around a 2ft wide.... then we flipped it up the tall way, 2 feet tall maybe.... then, she flew over it, we trotted it and then even cantered it, getting our distances everytime!

Lets just say, she is a very very very easy 4 year old to ride! Almost push button.... yet, you don't just sit there, she does make you work sometimes.... jumping is really smooth and not back jaring.

A little horse with huge movements!

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group <Part 2>

Comment

• Original Poster

Dragoon, Torey is doing better. He saw the vet/chiro this past week and got adjusted. He is on three weeks of walk/trot and then Scott will come out again. He should be ready to start real work when Gretch gets back. I am coming down, barring bad weather, on Sat for a lesson on Wendy. She felt great. I plan to show her in the adult hunters and maybe a little hunter pleasure. I didn't get to see your horse go. It takes a while to get in tune with a new mount. I may try to get a lesson or two with Michelle while the others are in Fla.

Anyone else from NH here?
                Who is an adult, who is a junior?
                Tell us about your horse(s).
                Tell us about you.

We need something to tide us over until spring!!!!

Comment

Second Chance, I consider that a big accomplishment! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My horse just started jumping and hasn't really been exposed to many types of jumps yet, different colored rails and a flower box pretty much narrows it down. So, let's just say his confidence isn't quite all there yet, and to say the least, he would freak if we ever even brought a hay bale into the ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Britney

*Britney*
                  ~Rush Hour~

Comment

Britney-

You can call me Nellie not Second chance... it's much easier to type...

Thanks, well,I have been blessed with an abnormally sane 4 year old, show me a horse whose first horse show she could care less, although we did neigh quite a bit in our dressage test... hopefully we can event later.

I tested the waters in Hunters and dabbled in 2 phases this past year, now, we will attempt to introduce scary jumps.... although we jump liverpools, fake logs, verticles, x-rails, small oxers, gymnastics.... never stops unless I stop riding.... even then its just like "woah, you were not riding, pay attention then lets go!!!"

Do you have AIM or anything like that? Linds and me are just curious..... If you do, instant message me at Ievent2 or Drifterssandybar

Comment

Why is it that I feel the need to order a new show coat, knowing that the chances of me actually riding a horse, never mind going to a show, are very slim at this point? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

:Sigh: I have the most lovely outfit envisioned, I just have to get over my paranoia riding in public and get on a horse again finally [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I can't wait to see Wendy! I remember her as a real green bean when I was just a little walk-trot rider - in fact I think you two are in the background of pictures of my first show at good old Pony Farm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

That is wonderful for everyone! Good news all around [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

Britney - I love your horse...he's just too cute. Sounds like he's doing GREAT!!! Invite me over sometime to see him, you, Amy, Dee Dee....the gang [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] . You need to come and meet Spencer too.

Nellie - Horray!! I want to see your mare out there this summer....she's gorgeous enough [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

And Mel - that's great he's feeling better. I'll probably be out on Saturday to school Spencer anyway.
                        As far as Spencer's going - here's a real UPDATE:

We've learned how to bend [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . He's been doing stretches to help his stiff and locked neck, and he's really getting more supple. Lots and lots of lengthening/shortening exercises with serpentines. That program works wonders. He's light(er) now, we've put him in a myler that just floats his boat. Jumping at home has hit a high note, as in we actually DID it last week. Even that 3' stone wall with a bench and a rail on top...he was brilliant. Flying changes too!!! Very, Very happy with him.
                        As for the Mt. Holyoke show, he was wonderful in the schooling ring - he looked and felt like he'd done this forever. Balanced, bending (I daresay on the bit), and jumping well, even over coolers. However, we had a problem in the show ring. We were eliminated both rounds (though we got further in the second [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). He DID jump the liverpool, though! First try, no stops. I was fed up at that point and actually rode him. Funny how sitting down and going makes a difference [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

Until next time....

- I'm workin' on it...
                        \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
                        - T. Robinson

Comment

*BUMB Lexi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]*

- I'm workin' on it...
                          - T. Robinson

Comment

Awww Guys I'm really feeling the love in this group [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nellie- Your mare sounds great! With the she sounds like she goes she has to be part draft or something. She isn't is she? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'd love to ride such a brave 4 year old. Well, my AIM situation is a different one.. technically I have it, because I have a Screename and used it for ridiculous amounts of time when I had it here at my house.. But, I've since been banned from it here and can only go on at friend's houses so I'm on periodically during the weekends. I think I'm going to attempt to ask for it back, but in the meantime I will definately add you to my Buddy List.

Linds- Don't worry, I already have you on there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I seriously want to come up to your place sometime! Spencer is the cutest thing.. It sounds like you guys really are coming along nicely. As for Aly, yes, he is adorable.. I call him my little chico because he has this fire engine red cooler that just makes him look like he really needs a sombraro to match. My mom was so excited because he's actually gained a whole 30 lbs. since the last time we weighed him, so hopefully it's the corn oil that I've started adding thats putting the weight on.. Atleast it hasn't made him any nuttier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And just give me a free time and you should seriously come up and visit. Dee Dee and her friend Kristi from school are out most often on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat. Riding. Amy usually rides or free lunges Geeves, Dee Dee rides Porky(who she loves) and Miles, and Kristi lunges/rides Presley. Maybe you could even hop on Miles, I'm sure Dee Dee wouldn't mind a break from him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Britney

*Britney*
                            ~Rush Hour~

Comment

britney- Nope almost 100% qh, although she does have appendix in her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] technically, Paint though, Black and white to be exact. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Original Poster

It's nice to hear from everyone. Is there anyone else from NH out there?

Lexi, I can sympathize with the desire for a new show outfit, even if you don't think you are going to show in the near future. It's like having a safety net of some sort because you might show. Why the nervousness for riding in public? You used to just go for it. Remember, it generally feels worse than it looks. You just need to find a good situation so you can ride more. I didn't ride for 7 years during and after college. I didn't have regular rides before that either, just some lessons when I could afford them. Even if you have to end up waiting till college is over before you are really able to get back into it, you can still get back out there!!!!!! You don't forget how to ride, you just get a bit rusty.

I am excited with how well Wendy is doing. She is better if I don't show her a lot or school jumps often. Lots of flat work to stay fit and an occassional school over fences is all she needs.

Have to get to work, the kids are coming in.

Comment

I'm here in New Hampshire...very fortunate to have an indoor ring, so I've been able to ride several times a week.

I have a 9 year old TB that I event, hunter pace, foxhunt, and generally have a lot of fun with!

One big sanity saver for both us: we go over to Hampton Beach every other week and go for some nice gallops. It makes endless circles in the indoor a little bit more bearable, plus it is a nice release for all of that pent-up energy! :-)

Comment

Have a h/j & eventing past with friends and connections still around (was at WEF for a week last year and boy does that sound tempting right now), but currently teach a lesson program of saddleseat equitation students at a competitive show barn here.

This week has been the hardest week all winter w/the ice, wind and the temps. Teaching 50 lessons a week with the wind blowing & no turnout because of the skating rink pastures is tough on the horses, forget about me!

Keep me in on NH clique activites!

"Lighten up, Francis."
                                    Sgt Hulka- Stripes

Comment

its official, NH winters suck! well, you already knew that.... duh [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I went out to the truck this morning and the first breath of cold air, man, it killed my lungs, thy are semi frozen after one breath.... I can't imagine what it feels like up in Canada about now.

well, back to web page design now.... after a long 3 pg. quiz...

Comment

Yeah Linds! I'm glad Spencer is doing well, I told you it would be gerat for you guys to go to AKF full time!

I'm just in a weird place, going from being at a barn where I pretty much had free rein (LOL what a great pun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and could ride whatever horse whenever I wanted, to not being really with a barn at all. I was definitely spoiled in some ways as a junior. Now things are a heck of a lot different and I can't just go and ride anymore (I found this out the hard way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) Oh well!

Once I figure out when/where/if I am moving out of my house I will have a better idea of if I can afford to ride. Everyone cross your toes for me!

I will have to at least come watch at some shows, to see how all of your guys are doing! I don't think I evn went to watch a single horse show this past year! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                        X