• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Emerging Athletes Program - Zone 10 -General Impressions -Long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerging Athletes Program - Zone 10 -General Impressions -Long

Since I was disappointed that no one posted any detailed information about the different zones Level I trials of the Emerging Athletes Program, I decided to post a summary of my notes of the Zone 10 Level 1 trial.

First, I will post some general information and then more about each level. The trial was hosted at the Hansen Dam Equestrian Center by Sterling and Katie Champ with Kathy Hobstetter doing the organizing. The USHJA sent two wonderful workers, Kathy and Kyistyn, who handled of the paper work, sold items and generally made things run smoothly.

Friday most of the horses moved in and were settled in their stalls. It was fun to watch the riders work together to move tack trunks etc. since they couldn’t bring grooms. They were able to ride in the ring where the clinic was going to be held and be sure the horses wouldn’t be spooked by the various banners.

Saturday morning there was a short rider's meeting where they met Melanie Taylor, who was conducting the trial, and were given an idea of how things were going to work and what to expect for the weekend. The riders were told there was going to be a dinner Saturday night at the club house so that they could socialize and get to know each other. Everyone was treated to an amazing breakfast display provided by the Champs. All kinds of fresh fruits and berries, fruit juice, coffee as well as on Saturday, bagels and muffins and on Sunday, croissants and coffee cake. There were even carrots and apples for the horses.

Each division ran for two hours with a half hour break between. The ring was watered and dragged between each session. The weather was warm but there was a cooling breeze so many watchers, who got to sit under wonderful shade trees, had to go back and get jackets. Each group did the same course with more advanced concepts expected from the riders and horses as the heights went up.

Everything ran smoothly with a small hiccup with the sound system that was quickly fixed and then a band in the park next door on Sunday but Melanie said we should get the horses used to real life and it was a great opportunity to have them get use to a band.

On Sunday, each rider was given a personalized poster of the EAP signed by Melanie.

These are some bullet points that Melanie emphasized over and over again as the weekend progressed.

•Melanie is looking for thinkers, triers, learners, and talent.
    •Make the right thing easy for the horse and the wrong thing hard through timing and accuracy.
    • Golden rule for aids: Use a little as it takes and as much as it needs.
    • You MUST be able to put your horses feet where you want them. One step left, right, forward, back, etc.
    • Never sacrifice leg position for use of leg.
    •Seeing a distance comes from feeling a distance. You feel through your arms.
    • Your eye sees what your arm feels.
    • You must have awareness of the horse. Where all parts of the horse is and where all parts of you are.
    • Loose reins cause a static in the connection and feel with your horse.
    • Let the exercises teach the horse. Don’t try to be perfect – let the horse figure it out.
    • Use the end of ring to rebalance your horse. Put exercises at the end of the rings when schooling the horse.
    • Just do it, get it done!
    • We must pay attention to the small things.
    • Any exercise or course must have a start, a middle, and an end.
    • Put a punctuation mark at the end of your sentence. (End a course with a halt, an exercise, etc. Even after you halt you can add an exercise of asking your horse to move in a precise way).
    • No matter your level you can and should always be a trainer.
    • Everything on the flat relates to jumping.
    • You can’t emphasis the flat enough. When you have trouble at a show, think about what went wrong and then make small flat exercises to fix it.
    • Your goal is to have a perfect round jumping so break down the round into parts that you can work on.
    • Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
    • Be precise and correct in your exercises.
    • When something goes wrong fix it now! Get after the horse and then forget it and forgive.
    • The most important thing is to be effective and then smoothness will come through understanding and response.
    • Horse must ALWAYS be on and in front of the aids.
    • Melanie loves the over-rider with a soft touch.
    • The horse is never wrong the fault is with the rider's timing. Reward with a release and with a rub not a slap.
    • The better you get, you need to work on the little things that will make a big difference.
    • Horse MUST respond to aids to be SAFE. A lazy, off aid horse is NOT safe.
    • Riding is a joy when you and your horse are one so you must focus on details and feel.
    • A break in the wrist causes a disconnect with the horse
    • Do many things with your horse. Ride bareback, trail ride, hunt, play etc. to really get to know your horse.
    • Melanie doesn’t believe in earplugs or anything that shelters a horse from real life. If a horse doesn’t like something, then work on it no matter how long it takes. Make your horse deal with reality and issues that come up. Don’t hide from problems but deal with them with education. Keep the horse in front of your leg and on aid when dealing with the problem.
    • Learn and take ideas from everybody.

Melanie had amazing energy and did a marvelous job with all the levels of riders. I highly recommend that people audit this program when it comes their way. I had no one involved in the program but it was such a wonderful learning opportunity. Thank you Melanie for an amazing weekend.
    Last edited by Release First; May. 11, 2009, 03:47 PM. Reason: Tried to clean it up when I wasn't so tired. :-)
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

Wow! Those are a lot of great points! Who were some of the riders there? I never found out who got into Zone 10....

Comment

THANKS

Wow Meredith...thank you so much for posting this!!! AND thank you for all the help YOU gave for this project. It ran smothly and was fun becasue YOU took the time to volunteer and spend endless hours there to make sure all was well.....AND IT WAS!!

If you guys get a chance to volunteer for this project (or others) PLEASE do, without people pitching in there would be no program.

Again, THANK YOU!!
      [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
      [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by indygirl2560 View Post
        Wow! Those are a lot of great points! Who were some of the riders there? I never found out who got into Zone 10....
        I can't believe that I just found my lost list.

3'
        Olivia Champ
        Elizabeth Evans
        Mc Call Koenig
        Ashlyn Matheus
        Malina Munshi
        Emma Shupper
        Holly Higgins

3'6"
        Alyssa Bansbach
        Tara Bemoll
        Elizabeth Hansbrough
        Emily Hartly
        Chelsea James
        Karli Postel
        Haley Selch
        Laura Ware

4'
        Madeline Dawson
        Richard Neal
        Rachel Verleur-Jani
        Ariel Yazid
        Annastasia Lieb
        Zoie Nagelhout
        Kara Spicer
        Last edited by Release First; May. 11, 2009, 02:29 AM.
        Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

Comment

THANKS ReleaseFirst!!

That is a PRINT!

Can't wait to read the specifics of the groups.

I was not able to attend the entire Zone 3 (the first EAClinic) so didn't feel well qualified to go into the detail you have.

This is a GREAT program...I hope it continues, and doesn't just fade away after one year.
          Inner Bay Equestrian
          Facebook
          KERx

Comment

First release, thank you for your summary, I love Melanie’s philosophy but can think of a Few trainers who would be in a tizzy over some of her/your bullet points ,, especially this one

• Learn and take ideas from everybody.
            LOL !! Can your hear a pin drop!!!

Melanie comes form the old school and doesn't seem to be aware of the modern business model of Hunter / Eq barns , Clients aren't supposed learn how to be to be trainers, if they learn something they might not need the trainer anymore!

Comment

Thank you so much for posting all this! This is just what I was looking for! I'm riding in the 3' section in Buffalo, and this is so nice and helpful to read! I really can't thank you enough; this is great!!!

Comment

Link to video of 3'6" Sunday Session

Here is a bit of the Sunday 3'6" Section-turn up volume to hear. Ms. Taylor was excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfDHvVL8Z2A
                winter hoffman

Comment

Thanks for posting. It was interesting to compare the Zone 10 with the first Zone 3 clinic which my daughter did. It sounds like Ms. Taylor is sticking with a consistent program in each of the clinics since we also heard this in the Zone 3.

The one big change I see is the organized dinner Sat. night so the participants could socialize more. This is great and I know was one of the suggesstions and wishes from the Zone 3 since we did not get a chance for that.

www.chadalefarms.com

Comment

I would have swooned to have that available when I was a junior.
                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I looked at the list of names looking for two of my friends and I didn't know anyone on that list so I checked the website and I guess there is a Zone 10 south and north!

For anyone who wants to know Zone 10 north....

3'
                      Ellen Appleby
                      Emma Dake
                      Robert Leckie
                      Laura Owens
                      Gregory Parella
                      Jessica Tali
                      Shannon Welch
                      Stephanie Whitworth

3'6
                      Kimberly Bare
                      Lisa Beach
                      Madison Bradshaw
                      Allison Levine
                      Haley Sherwood-Coombs
                      Haley Stone
                      Emily Sullivan
                      Haley Webster

4'
                      Viva Hallinan
                      Jan Humphrey
                      Talley Scott
                      Taylor Skjerpe
                      Christy Sutherland
                      Tatiana Sywak
                      Melinda Wood
                      Leslie Wright

Comment

Thank you so much for posting that. I thought about feeling with the arms today while riding. I really wanted to go out and audit. If I could have helicoptered out or beamed myself somehow I would have gone, but didn't want to deal with our lovely freeway system.
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                        X