• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Some people just make me want to scream: A rant.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people just make me want to scream: A rant.

So today I'm at the ring, on my horse, learning my course for my medal class, and I smell smoke. First thought: shit where's the fire?! but it's raining! And then I turn around and it hits me: someone is smoking a cigarette. And this person is mounted, and about to go in the ring to show.

Ok, really, I don't care if you smoke. I really don't (because I've been known to on a few occasions; don't tell my mom...). But really? On your horse?! You are REALLY going to subject your horse, my horse and everyone else's horses to that at the in-gate? Do you smoke in your shedrow too, around all those shavings and all that hay? Not to even mention that CO has had one of the driest winters we've ever had and despite the shitty weather the past few weekends, it's still dry here!!

Ugghhhh take your habit somewhere other than the barn, and off your horse!!!!!

Sorry. That's my rant for today. I really couldn't give 2 shits about my own health, but my horses' lungs/health/well being is paramount. (ETA: And yes, I did walk away. I'd learn my course later!)

Huh. The barn I was at previously, the owner smoked in the barn!!! No kidding, I have vivid memories of the horse I was having vetted (and didn't buy) trying to grab the Marlboro Menthol package through the feed chute.

I feel your pain...

Kim
    Last edited by tikihorse2; May. 10, 2009, 04:35 PM. Reason: bolding didn't work
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Feel your pain. Barn I used to ride at, had a guy that would come out of the barn bathroom smoking. Good times...
      www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

It amazes me how many people in the horse world smoke. I am a non-smoker, and can't stand the smell. Whenever I see someone at a show smoking, I always wonder how good their insurance is if they catch the whole barn on fire.
        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Drives me nuts too! i don't smoke, and if you smoke i'm not going to hate you, i have friends that smoke--but please, don't smoke in a freaking BARN or ON A HORSE!! I have to wonder sometimes, when I see a trainer or owner of a barn walking around a dry place, all the shavings, hay, cobwebs and solid wood of a barn, smoking a cigarette, I think to myself: wow, they must have some pretty great insurance/great lawyer (if it's someone else's barn, like at a show) !
          (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

And what does the person on the horse do when entering the ring? I am sure the butt is just dropped on the ground probably still burning!

Comment

I just wait for the moment when the ash falls on the horses neck...... that will fix their problem from smoking ON the horse.

Comment

That drives me crazy!! There is one lady at my barn who will smoke sitting on her horse or holding her horse! Whatever she can do what she wants, I just walk away, but it bothers me that people who smoke in a group of people just assume it won't affect them. A few years ago I was at a big indoor show, and there were people smoking in our barn! This is a huge building with millions of dollars of horses and tack in it. We found the security and they talked to them, we didn't want our horses dying in a fire. With all the hay and shavings in there the place would of burnt fast..

Comment

I very seriously threatened to hose a trainer (not mine) in the barn with a lit cigarette one time at a show. Was stopped just in the nick of time - well for the trainer anyway. I do smoke - outside the barn, away from the horses, etc. That's just plain ole common sense.
                  And nothing bad happened!

Comment

I know a barn owner who smokes. Only in the barn doorways, but in his cars, house, on tractors etc. It's HIS farm. No one else is allowed to do this. But ON a horse? At a SHOW? Talk about show nerves? Haha.

Basically, ew gross, unsafe, major fail.
                    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

I once boarded at a barn where the owner smoked. Everywhere. In the barn, on her horses, in the hay storage stalls, just everywhere. While I respect her right to do what she wants on her property, I don't respect her right to do something so blantently careless with my horse in the barn.

I left very quickly. I was willing to sacrifice the convenience of the close location over the safety of my horse.

Comment

My trainer's barn is not a high dollar facility. There is not a big staff on hand to keep the place spotless. In addition to boarders, there is a public lesson program, so you get a good number of beginners with totally non-horsey families.

And NO ONE smokes at the barn.

When DD was just a beginner, the assistant trainer did smoke (former student of Trainer Lady who aged out and turned pro). Trainer Lady was OK with her smoking - in her car, with the windows up. Even in summertime. Only place it was allowed. Them were the rules, and I never saw a violation. I can't imagine what Trainer Lady would do with a client who was smoking on. their. horse. But I suspect they'd turn into an ex-client in a hurry, bad economy or no bad economy.
                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

At my old barn the owner and her daughter both smoked everywhere in the barn, and the daughter did on her horses all the time, on her super expensive horses. They also let all of the boarders smoke wherever they wanted. I'm glad my horse is out of there.

Comment

I'm just thinking none of you were around in the '70's.....

Comment

This is so crazy....of all the things that go on with horses and the way they are treated you are complaining about smoke at the in-gate? How about oven cleaner under boots and the endless circles. The trainers who lie and steal? If that is all it takes for you not to be able to focus on your course I hope you are in my division, Ill light one just for you on your outside line, will you miss? You need to grow up. Smoking in the barn of course not, but get a grip!!!

Comment

I could care less if someone smokes as long as it is not around me. They have a right to smoke but they don't have the right to stand next to me and pollute the air I'm breathing.

Smoking in the barn? Better not and I don't care who you are I will walk right up to you, pluck the death stick from your mouth, extinguish it and proceed to give you a verbal beating that you will never forget.

I know it is not right, but I veiw smokers as having less common sense and poorer judgement versus non smokers.

Comment

I smoked for a long time, especially right out of college at my first couple of horse jobs. I never smoked in the barn, always out in the driveway, or in my car. But it wasn't unusual for me to smoke at the ingate of a show watching a student jump around, etc. Never on horseback.

I now lease a farm, and have a strict no smoking policy on the entire property. I once had a perspective boarder tell me they would not move in because I wouldn't allow her to smoke on the property. I thought that was absurd - but I am glad she didn't move in, as I am sure it would have become a boundary she would have tested at some point - and it wouldn't have ended well!
                                  Lesley M. Jenks
                                  Finally Farm ~ Located at Yates Mill Farm
                                  Raleigh, NC
                                  www.finallyfarmnc.com

Comment

lol at all the Quebec horse shows i went to last year, most people would be warming up their horses either talking on their cells or with a cig hanging out their mouths.
                                    really attractive

Comment

Given your location I think I know exactly who you're talking about. I saw her smoking at the show last weekend too, while she was leading her horse. It drives me insane. I don't mind if people smoke but when they smoke around other people and around their horse and in a high fire danger area- that I mind.
                                      My blog:

RAWR

Comment

Originally posted by IsolaBella09 View Post
                                        Feel your pain. Barn I used to ride at, had a guy that would come out of the barn bathroom smoking. Good times...

Maybe he was being considerate. I used to have an office job where my desk was next to the bathroom. Boss used to come in from his 90 min. drive where he drank coffee the whole way and make a beeline for the bathroom. Then he'd come out and leave the door open. Sweet Jeebus on a cracker, I wish he would have been smoking! So I'd have to get up, shut the door, and then go outside to take my smoke break just to settle my stomach.

Trust me, there are things more hazardous to your health than smoke.

Comment

Working...
                                        X