• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pony Shopping woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pony Shopping woes

I'm so frustrated with pony shopping right now. My six year old daughter has a pony that we've been leasing and the lease ends this month. We wanted to buy the pony she's been leasing and were willing to pay the asking price, but the pony didn't pass the PPE and the owner is unwilling to negotiate a fair price for him. That leaves us shopping the pony market.

We have looked at several and tried 2. Both ponies were advertised as beginner friendly, bomb proof, lesson ponies who are great with children. My daughter got on both of them and ended up on the ground both times. The first pony took off in the indoor galloping around and my daughter (who is only a walk trot student) fell off, hit the wall and cracked her riding helmet. The second pony we kept on a lunge line (smart move) and that one tried to take off but couldn't….daughter still fell off….and was stepped on several times. My little girl is fine….but she's now afraid to ride.

Here's my vent. What is wrong with some people that they would misrepresent their ponies like that. To prioritize getting a pony sold over the safety and well being of a little girl. If you say it's beginner friendly and bomb proof….make sure it really is. To me….bomb proof means it would take an atomic explosion to get the pony to even think about spooking.

I agree that people should be upfront, particularly about hroses/ponies for children, HOWEVER, I am seriously wondering WHY you don't buy the pony you are leasing. If the pony is a "saint" and the PPE turned up something that doesnt affect his ability or can easily be maintained, then you should buy it. I have a student that was in need of a good pon y, when one came up for sale in our area. This pony I knew VERY well, he probably taught nearly every child in the area how to ride and show! He is now 22 years old, has pretty bad hocks, but she will finsih out her first short stirrup year on him this year and then pass him on as a walk/trot pony to her younger sister. When this pony came up for sale I RAN to buy him!!!! Price wasn't a question, although it was quite reasonable, but it didn't matter he is IRREPLACEABLE. I say really examine the PPE results and discuss thoroughly with the vet. If you are looking at something maintainable, and the pony is something your daughter trusts, buy him. You will spend a large sum running around looking at ponies that are not what they are supposed to be and very possibly have your daughter hurt in the process. At this point, she has become afraid. Probably the only confidence booster she will have is the pony she is used to. Now obviously I don't know all the details of the PPE findings, or the price of the pony. But What I am trying to say is, what is the "value" os a safe, reliable mount for your child. Remember, you can buy a horse today with a clean PPE, and tomorrow that horse can be dead lame!
    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I think Shawnee is right. It's rare that something, some little thing doesn't show up in a PPE. She's been with this pony, has had no problem with this pony, and can rebuild her confidence with this pony. Sometimes price isn't negotiable, but when they are worth their weight in gold the price doesn't matter.
      "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

I agree with Shawnee completely.

I just wanted to add for the safetly of your daughter, PLEASE have a trainer hop on the pony first when you try out them out. Even a small teenager would be good, naughty ponys are just as (or more) dangerous than a naughty horse. They should not be treated any differently no matter how they are portrayed in their ads.
        “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Comment

Not to start a train wreck, but... are you shopping with the help of a good trainer?

A large part of the trainer's role in shopping is knowing who is truthful in their descriptions of animals for sale, and who will say anything to try to get one sold.

As you've discovered, the say anything types are out there- a good trainer can help you avoid them.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

If you'd lease him again for a year

and you thought he was worth the money before the PPE, then as long as it is something that hasn't bothered him so far, and can be maintained, I'd probably buy him. A bombproof, clean ppe pony that's doing well with the little ones is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$. By the time they're made like the one you're daughter's been riding, if they are perfect, the average mortal can't begin to afford it. You are buying your daughter's life insurance policy, because when she goes in that arena, that pony is the one keeping her little noggin safe.
            And I bet she loves the darn thing. Sorry mom, write the check.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses. I do have a wonderful trainer, but she's been horse showing the last two weeks and I've been coordinating the pony shopping through a broker who knows my trainer. My trainer and I have come to the conclusion that ANYTHING we look at from here on in will have another child get on it before my daughter does.

I was serious about buying this pony and spent a lot of money for the PPE which showed several things. Navicular changes, sesamoiditis, and problems with the pony's right hock. The pony is 12 yr old and he's off when he trots. Has been since the day we got him. When he canters, he swaps out behind because he's uncomfortable. The pony has done nothing but walk trot for the last 6 months and he's still unsound. I just can't pay 15K for a pony that may or may not be rideable in a year. I know that he's not the only quiet pony out there for sale. I just can't seem to find the right quiet pony.....yet.

Comment

Wow, that sounds really sucky for your young daughter.

I agree with Shawnee that if the current pony is within your price range, you might want to look twice at the PPEs. It is going to be very difficult to find a pony quiet and bombproof enough for a walk-trot kid that is going to vet 100%, because most of them have been around the block quite a few times. A lot of times those ponies are worth their weight in gold even with a few issues, and they are not easy to find.

As for trying ponies, I am assuming that you have done this before, and that you know the basic precautions. Just in case you don't, to reiterate:

--Before the child gets on, you need to see the pony go under saddle with another rider, preferably a child. Ask said rider to demonstrate a few things such as giving the pony a big kick, getting a little floppy, losing her reins, etc. Make them *show* you that the pony is bombproof before you put your kid up there. An unbalanced walk-trot kid should only be put on a strange pony under the most controlled of circumstances, and it's better to be over-cautious.

--The kid's trainer (not sure if you have one or if it's you) should be using connections to find ponies who they KNOW have already done this job safely before. The pony needs to be tested out in a variety of circumstances and conditions before you can really know whether it will be safe. A little kid won't be able to handle any problems, so you don't want to deal with an unknown.

I'm sorry that so far you've been duped and your kid has gotten scared. Some people may be flat out lying about their ponies; others might be deluded about their animal, or not understand just how bombproof you need them to be. I wonder if any lesson barns might like to lease something out or sell due to the economy?

I'm also not really sure why a w/t kid needs to be buying something instead of riding schoolies, but that's your own business and I'm sure there are reasons. I DO think that this horse shopping needs to be done differently, for the sake of the kid.

****Just read the OP's last post, and I must say that with those PPE results and price tag, the original pony does sound a bit on the expensive side.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  ****Just read the OP's last post, and I must say that with those PPE results and price tag, the original pony does sound a bit on the expensive side.
                  Yeah, that's what I thought too.

The question is.....how much is a reasonable price for a quiet pony? I don't care if it's a fancy show pony or a 10 mover. I just want sane and sensible and I'd be happy with old like Shawnee's pony.

Comment

Originally posted by Busymummy View Post
                    Thanks for all of your responses. I do have a wonderful trainer, but she's been horse showing the last two weeks and I've been coordinating the pony shopping through a broker who knows my trainer. My trainer and I have come to the conclusion that ANYTHING we look at from here on in will have another child get on it before my daughter does.

I was serious about buying this pony and spent a lot of money for the PPE which showed several things. Navicular changes, sesamoiditis, and problems with the pony's right hock. The pony is 12 yr old and he's off when he trots. Has been since the day we got him. When he canters, he swaps out behind because he's uncomfortable. The pony has done nothing but walk trot for the last 6 months and he's still unsound. I just can't pay 15K for a pony that may or may not be rideable in a year. I know that he's not the only quiet pony out there for sale. I just can't seem to find the right quiet pony.....yet.
                    Ok that gives us a bit more info. What I would want to know is has ANY maintainance been tried on the pony to make him better or not. If no, then I would negotiate witht he owner to continue leasing and try a few things and see if that brings the pony to soundness. If yes, then it is a good move to pass on him. If he is truly unsound, the $15K is rather a bit much!

Now I do a good bit of marketing and often market horses/ponies like you are looking for. Whenever ANYONE coems to try a pony with a smaller/novice level child, someone ALWAYS rides the pony first (actually on ALL sale horses I have a rider here to ride the horse first). Then, I put the child on the pony (if tha parent/trainer still thinks it may be a match after seeing it go) IN THE ROUND PEN, where I have control over the situation. If everything goes well there, we go to the large arena (and my ring is LARGE, 240 x 150) so I really don't want to turn a kid that is a walk/trotter loose in that large of an area without first seeing them ride in small area. I URGE YOU to put off the pony purchasing process until your trainer can actively participate!
                    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Originally posted by Busymummy View Post
                      Yeah, that's what I thought too.

The question is.....how much is a reasonable price for a quiet pony? I don't care if it's a fancy show pony or a 10 mover. I just want sane and sensible and I'd be happy with old like Shawnee's pony.

Even old, this pony cost a reasonable amount, but not an UNREASONABLE amount. He goes and wins for the kid in local circuits and "C" rated shows here in NC. The pony ABSOLUTELY loves to show, he has such a gleam in his eye when he is showing, and noone can believe he is 22. However, he began not swapping behind (he has autochanges) and nearly ran away with the kid at a show earlier this spring. I immediately told the Mom GET THE VET OUT and we injected his hocks, plus put him on adequan and he is back to his perfect self! Injections can do a LOT to prolong the usefullness and more imporatantly make these older packers (or even not so old) happy and comfortable
                      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

wow, that's real awful it is so hard to find a great child pony, they're needles in the haystack. my barn got very lucky with their best pony, hershey--he was my first pony (leased him) and wow what a great little guy. he is the best packer. he gets stiff and sore sometimes, but he is priceless. his old owners grew out of him at some point and literally just left him there years ago, along with a nice saddle, blankets, all sorts of stuff. It's funny, they couldve gotten tons of money for him. he's such a good little pony. but my barn would probably also never sell him---most trainers/barns, when they get ahold of a pony like that, they generally wont let him go, because they are so hard to find. that being said, when you do find one, they can sometimes be pricey, even if theyre not fancy little show ponies, just because they're so safe and hard to find. (i mean, we're not talking 50K here, but its not like you will pay 4k for one either, usually.)

i wouldve suggested just buying the pony anyway, but after reading your other post, it does sound like it's too big a risk to spend 15K on. little girls grow very attached, very fast. if a day comes in a year when he suddenly cant be ridden, your little girl will be absolutely devastated, and probably even more so if that pony is owned by her (will it make that much of a difference? no, not if she still rides it, but if she has her own pony by that hypothetical time, she will not be as attached anymore, and it will be easier for her to cope) however, are there any options for making the horse more comfortable? maybe he just needs some injections, or supplements, etc.

absolutely have other kids hop on a pony before your daughter tries them! also, dont look online -- you wont find many ads for a true bombproof little girl's pony online. try going by word of mouth, local things, especially through trainer's connections. try looking at local lesson barns, i find it's easier to find an old bombproof lesson pony in a lesson place. but remember, it's okay if there is a horse that's a little bit off--most of these bombproof ponies thatll be good for your daughter will not be 100% sound. granted, you want them to be sound enough that they can trot over an x rail and stuff, it just needs to be something that wont wreck the horse in a year.
                        (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

Sounds like you have a really good pony that your daughter knows and trusts. When My son and daughter were 5, 6 yrs. old, they each had the 18 and 20 year old small ponies that marched around, never won a hack but was honest enough to give them confidence and teach them to ride 8 jumps safely and properly. These ponies would have never passed any vetting, I'm sure but were so valuable on many other levels. (climbing all over them in the barn, taking for walks, playing in the sand with, etc.)

Maybe you can renew your lease another year until your child is ready for the next step. Best of luck!!:

http://www.arborhillfarmllc.com

Comment

Originally posted by arbor hill View Post
                            Maybe you can renew your lease another year until your child is ready for the next step. Best of luck!!:
                            I agree. Don't forget children grow. Often very quickly and randomly. Unless you have the means to carry the pony indefinitely after your child outgrows it, you *will* eventually have to resell your pony and those issues on the PPE will not disappear.

It's a buyer's market. Take advantage of it, take your time and find something perfect. There are packers out there, especially if you are willing to lease. Look for ponies specifically advertised as short stirrup and children's pony hunters. Those are often the true packers. In the regular pony divisions, there are always some younger ones and tough rides that the 'pony pro' kids win on, but that would be too hard for a beginner. An aged children's pony/ss pony sounds like the best route. Good luck!
                            Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

Comment

WOW. I have had FOUR bombproof kidsafe ponies for the kids. And I sold all of them for WAY less than your unsound w/t pony.

They are NOT so rare! Mine were:

A welsh-lookalike (no papers) saint of a pony, adorable, large gelding, was perfect for LL thru SS but would not hold up past SS - sold him for $1500 to a small child looking for the first pony

A pinto-welsh cross, awesome "small large" good thru Pre-Childrens but needed more show miles, VERY safe, NO issues and only 7 years old! $5500 (yeah I gave her away...sniff)

A saintly Welsh-Shetland medium, best for LL & Minis, a little reluctant to canter but would canter...packed the tots $2000

A gorgeous paint-welsh medium w/ extensive show exp - perfect for LL thru Pre-Childrens,point & shoot, 10+ trot , lead changes rusty $7500

They ARE out there! All my ponies were on the open market and a couple of them had no calls or serious buyers for at least a month or so, before finding a new home.

A lady at my barn just got one for FREE for leadline and Mini - 12.3 shetland type.

Comment

Hang in there. You will find the right pony. Last summer I and another barn mom were shopping for move up ponies. We both had real money to spend and thought it would be relatively easy as in go to a farm, try all the ponies and pick the cutest one because they would all be quality (again, we had real money). We were sadly mistaken and looked at a bunch of not nice ponies for over 9 months. Because our trainer clearly told the other trainers what we were looking for and what our daughters were capable of, we honestly believed we would see appropriate ponies. It is amazing what people will not tell you or try to cover up. I expected this with horse shopping (I've done my fair share of this too) but for little kids I really thought people might be more honest. Wrong again.

Out there somewhere is a pony for your daughter in your price range. It may wear you out physically and emotionally looking for it, but you will find it. Try to resist settling for "good enough" because you think you can't make one more trip, waste one more day, or see one more sad look on your daughter's face. Pony shopping is not for the weak or faint of heart! I know you can do it!

Comment

You would think that people would be honest, as it would not waste their time or the shopper's time. I guess they think that you will come and your daughter will find something she is in "love with" and just has to have. You might ask your trainer to ask about having people send you a video first. I would assume your trainer can tell them what you are looking for though. If I were a trainer, I would want good matches for my clients, as they would be representing "me." Plus, I would not want something that would scare my client, etc. Maybe I am in the minority. I know that it is harder to find small ponies, as there aren't as many kids out there that are able to train small ponies.

I would seriously consider leasing a medium that could go from short stirrup to meduim ponies with your daughter. She would have a "partner" that she could get to know and not have to give it up in a year. Just a thought...... Keep looking. Go to shows and see what is available. Also, after pony finals at the end of the summer there will be more ponies available. (The prices will probably be up then too.) You will find the right one! Good luck!

Comment

WOW. What kind of "trainer" puts a horse to work who isn't sound and is uncomfortable?? Not to mention allows their client's 6 year old WALK/TROT rider get on a pony or horse without having someone more advanced ride it!? Sorry but I'd rethink this "trainer" of yours.

As for ponies. Try looking through your local Pony Clubs. Typically the ponies there are "been there done that" types as well as being pretty saintly. (Not ALL but most.) They may not be fancy A circuit ponies but they do their job and do it well.

Good luck.

Comment

Wow! Too bad for your daughter but it might make her a tough little rider in the end I am a very nervous rider and have had some bad experiences trying out horses and I can say your idea is a good one: ALWAYS have someone ride the horse/pony first.

Good luck to you guys!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TeQuiero View Post
                                        WOW. What kind of "trainer" puts a horse to work who isn't sound and is uncomfortable?? Not to mention allows their client's 6 year old WALK/TROT rider get on a pony or horse without having someone more advanced ride it!? Sorry but I'd rethink this "trainer" of yours.

As for ponies. Try looking through your local Pony Clubs. Typically the ponies there are "been there done that" types as well as being pretty saintly. (Not ALL but most.) They may not be fancy A circuit ponies but they do their job and do it well.

Good luck.
                                        Problem is absolutely not the trainer. The trainer has been away horse showing and I've been looking at ponies with a "broker" who occasionally works with my trainer. The problem IS that we have believed that the sellers of these ponies were honest when they said beginner safe / bomb proof.

The pony my daughter is currently riding is safe and quiet, but is off and the PPE reflected some problems with him. Owner wouldn't come down on the price regardless of what the PPE said and I can't justify 15K on a pony who's soundness is questionable and I don't know how much longer he'll be able to carry a rider on his back. As of right now....he's off.....but he's not unhappy nor is he uncomfortable.

I am not looking for a fancy show pony. I don't care if the pony is ugly or cute. I wouldn't care if the pony was purple with orange polka dots so long as it is quiet and safe and sound. What I do care about is that there are people out there misrepresenting their ponies in order to get them sold without a single care of how it would affect the safety or well being of the pony's little beginner rider.

Comment

Working...
                                        X