• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pony Mane Nightmare!!! Help! Please??!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pony Mane Nightmare!!! Help! Please??!!

So, I have a beautiful small pony hunter prospect that I am getting ready to start taking to some shows. I had her mane under control for a while all last summer and fall, and then I went to FL and she stayed home...now her mane is CRAZY!!! It is 3x as thick as it used to be and falls on both sides of her neck. What is the best way to tackle this? Terrible thing to ask, but does any one shave half of the mane on the underside?...It really is that thick. Should I button braid her on the correct side and leave the braids in for a while? BTW she is talented at getting regular braids undone and she is outside for part of the day. I've never had to deal with a mane like this before. Any and all suggestions appreciated! TIA

Hi! I have a similar situation, only with a 17 hh TB who hates to be pulled Do NOT NOT NOT shave half the mane. That will make matters worse. I learned that this hair will all grow back in at the same time, will be super stiff, and will make the mane even worse. It also makes it very difficult to braid correctly.

Carefully pull to the correct length & if necessary pull some shorter hairs to thin w/o shortening any more. I braid my guy into training braids by crossing the hairs underneath eachother (instead of the typical crossing each of the 3 sections over each other) & I tie with yarn. The "upsidedown" braids lie flatter to the neck. I don't tie them up; just leave them hanging. I braid while the mane is vert wet & leave them in for several days, checking each day & rewetting the hair. My trainer said that when she was in school, they would tie fishing weights into the yarn, but I haven't tried that.

When I take them out, I wet and comb the mane, then put horse into a mesh "slicker" hood, making sure the mane is lying on the correct side.

I am a bit compulsive about manes (as if you couldn't tell!)

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I may try the fishing weights. I'll try to get some pics of her mane tomorrow! I've been lucky to have horses and ponies with easy manes, this one is just out of control at the moment. I'll def try doing the underside braid, I haven't tried that before. Last summer she lived in training braids and I had to pul her mane all the time to keep it at bay and it was okay...though it has never wanted to stay on the right side of her neck lol. Promise, i won't shave it off, it's just so forboding to think about all of the time it takes to keep it in check.

Comment

I have always used old nuts, as in nuts and bolts. Tie them in with heavy yarn on a braided mane. Let them hang for a few days. And then the force be with you.
        www.midatlanticeq.com
        Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
        November 11-13, 2016

Comment

Don't shave the underside!

Pull, pull, pull. If you had her mane under control before, do what you did then.

I'm assuming you're not going to braid at these shows? If you are, it doesn't matter what the mane looks like unbraided. A good braider will make it look perfect.

If you're trying to get the mane to lie on one side unbraided, then you can braid it in several large, loose braids and leave it for a few days. Don't braid tightly, or the hair can get pulled out. Even worse, pony will be itchy and rub the mane out. Then you'll have missing chunks.

My opinion doesn't matter here, but I think fluffy pony manes are cute.

Comment

CrossWinds81, I just want to say I feel your pain!!! lol My pony has a crazy fro, and it grows faster than I've ever seen on any other horses. I have no solution for you, just empathy. I'm aiming my pony for trail riding and maybe pony jumpers! No braiding necessary! lol Good luck with this!!!
            Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks French twist!! I just look at it and cringe...it took me 6.5 months to get it semi-managable before! she was out on lease over the winter as a little lesson pony and everything went to He!! Now her mane is about 3" wide...and I am not joking! You'll see, I'll try to get the pictures tomorrow. But at least she has the cuteness factor going...she's a liver chestnut with a tad bit of roaning in her flank, blaze 3 white sox and a flaxen mane and tail...screams hunters...and the shows she'll do this summer she will need to be braided...I'm in Lexington, KY so she'll go to the Horse Park soon. I neeeeed a great pony rider though! Anyway, I have gotten a bit off track, but in order to get to those shows her mane needs to be perfect

Comment

We had a medium pony hunter who had a huge thick mane and was one of the horses who does have nerves in their mane so we couldn't pull it to thin it out because it turned into one unpleasant mess for all those involved. Any way we finally got smart and shaved a section out of the middle haha. It braided over much nicer than shaving the underside (we did that also). Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Talk of the Town View Post
                  We had a medium pony hunter who had a huge thick mane and was one of the horses who does have nerves in their mane so we couldn't pull it to thin it out because it turned into one unpleasant mess for all those involved. Any way we finally got smart and shaved a section out of the middle haha. It braided over much nicer than shaving the underside (we did that also). Good luck!
                  I know it sounds just awful to do, but that was kind of what I was thinking...use the really small clipper blades, clip in the middle, and just keep it clipped all the time...it sure would save a ton of time. The thing I hated about pulling her mane last year was that, because the hair isn't pulled from one general area and soooo much of it was being pulled out in the first place it was really tough when the pulled sections started to grow back out again...whenever I braided it down the new little hairs coming through would stick straight up, and they were too short to pull out again...that's not too attractive either.

Comment

Or just take her to a show and pay a braider to pull it. They might charge you for pulling 3 manes but it would be worth it to not have to mess with it at all, and it will be a pro job.

Comment

If pony is good about pulling, and you can figure out how to do it well, try pulling hair from the topside of the mane, not the underside. If you pull from the underside, you shorten the mane as well as thin it, resulting in an extremely short, extremely thick mane. If you pull from the top (or you can even try flipping it over to the left side of the neck and pulling from the underside from that side, but then you won't have a very good idea of how the length is going), you reduce thickness without shortening. Length comes from the underside, so as long as you leave the bottom hairs alone, you can avoid the "really really short and STILL thick" pulled mane.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven-up View Post
                        I'm assuming you're not going to braid at these shows? If you are, it doesn't matter what the mane looks like unbraided. A good braider will make it look perfect.
                        Gee, thanks. Don't bother making your mane nice, just stick the braider with a big fat mess.

The best way to get your mane nice is to pull a little bit, often. Pull it every couple days, but not too much. You don't want to yank it all out at once or it will all grow back at once. If the pony has a wide crest, be careful not to get it too short. The braids start at the right side of the crest, so think about your length of mane from that point, too. Train it over with braids if you want.

If it is absolutely impossible to control, you can shave it, but do it from the top side, not the underneath. The braids lock down with the hair at the base. If you shave it off, the braids will be too high on it's crest. Be aware if you start shaving, you cannot stop.
                        You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

do a search on Horse Care

I recently posted a VERY LONG reply to someone with this same problem.
                          I gave up all my mane shortening secrets in that one novel.

First... you've just got to start pulling and braiding and pulling and braiding if you want to do it the traditional way.

Second... thinning shears are your friend. You can take out a lot of thickness and make the mane look perfectly "pulled" without killing your fingers or the pony's neck.

I recently saw somebody who had braided over and then wrapped electrical tape all the way up and down the individual braids of his yearlings about a week before showing them in a breed show. Good idea, thought I! That way there reallly isn't much to rub out, and it also weights the mane to train it over.

But seriously, do the search for all the details.
                          KD

Comment

Thinning shears are NOT a braider's friend. If you are going to braid, stay away from the thinning shears.
                            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

angrychinchillas-
                              Sorry, I didn't follow that. Could you please explain again? I just pulled DD's pony's mane for the first time. It was 6" long and very thick but lays all to the right. It is now about 3" long and still thick and kind of sticking up. I tried to pull the underside hairs to decrease thickness but it is still kind of thick. She hates having her mane pulled and we had to tranq and twitch to get this done. How do you make it thinner at this point without making it shorter?

Comment

Everybody that is telling you to shave up the middle is right on. I used to be a pony braider. At three in the morning when I was on my 5th incorrectly pulled pony mane, I would pull out my battery shavers and clip a strip right up the middle. The braids never looked better.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                                  Gee, thanks. Don't bother making your mane nice, just stick the braider with a big fat mess.
                                  I would never dream of sticking a braider with this. I pull my own manes, and I feel like it's my job to make her job as easy as possible.

OP sounded like she didn't want to fix it (perhaps overwhelmed by it all) and just wanted to shave it. I know how crazy it made our braider to have to work on manes that were pulled incorrectly. She'd tell us, "if you can't do it right, let me do it myself. I just need the extra time."

I was actually thinking if OP didn't want to do it herself, (which I suggested at first) she should pay someone to come do it for her, but not knowing where she was located, I didn't know if that was possible, so that's why I suggested doing it at a show. Certainly didn't mean to imply she should spring it on the braider with no advance notice and expect the poor braider to get it done in 15 minutes! That would be evil, indeed!

Comment

• Original Poster

It's not so much the work involved in pulling and 'getting it there' that bothers me..it is the maintainence that becomes an issue and even was an issue when i was keeping it under control...because you have to pull out so much hair; 2/3 of the thickness has to come out..then 2/3 ultimately grows back in spurts. while it is in the growth stage it causes loads of little hairs sticking out everywhere that are too short to pull untill a few months down the line and braiding them in...they wont braid in until they are long enough, so it causes a braiders nightmare....I am still considering shaving a thin strip down the middle and then just keeping it shaved. I'll talk with a few braiders at the show today and see what their ideas are and post it when I find out from them. The braiding with weights idea is fabulous though and I am excited to try that

Comment

Originally posted by skyy View Post
                                      angrychinchillas-
                                      Sorry, I didn't follow that. Could you please explain again? I just pulled DD's pony's mane for the first time. It was 6" long and very thick but lays all to the right. It is now about 3" long and still thick and kind of sticking up. I tried to pull the underside hairs to decrease thickness but it is still kind of thick. She hates having her mane pulled and we had to tranq and twitch to get this done. How do you make it thinner at this point without making it shorter?
                                      Okay. You're trying to pull hairs from the top side of the mane, not the underside. Stand on the pony's right side, facing the neck, with the mane on the right side. When you normally pull the mane, you take the mane comb (or just your fingers) and find the longest hairs, and pull them out, right? Well, what you're doing is taking hairs from the -underside- of the mane. This shortens the mane. It also thins the mane, but not enough to fix it on a huge pony mane.

What you want to do instead of pulling the longest hairs from the bottom/underside is pick a small hunk from the very top. Another way to think of this is: if you were on the horse's back, looking at the mane, you want the hairs growing from the -left- side of the crest, not the right. They will be shorter hairs, and thus a bit harder to pull (it's just a very different feeling in your hands, really).

Maybe a diagram might help:

removed

It's a tragic diagram, I know. I don't have Photoshop or any goodies on this computer, so I had to make do with MS Paint. =P But does that make sense? Instead of grabbing the longest hairs, you're taking from the outside, or upper side, of the thickness of the mane. Maybe if it still doesn't make sense I can try to make a video of me doing it in about a week when I get back home.

Re: making the braider pull the mane - as a braider, honestly, I don't mind a bit. And sometimes I even prefer to be able to pull the mane myself, if the owner doesn't know how to pull very well, or the horse/pony has a difficult to pull mane. That way I get to pull it to my preferred length and thickness. As was said above, it's easier for a braider to spend 15-20 minutes pulling a mane than it is to spend more time trying to make the braids look okay on a botched pull.
                                      Last edited by angrychinchillas; Aug. 10, 2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Angrychinchillas-
                                        Got it! I understand! And I loved the diagram. When I was pulling her mane I did consider pulling the top hairs but I was concerned that they would grow back and stick straight up and look stupid (kind of like when you clip and accidentally get into the mane). Most of DD's shows don't require braiding so the mane has to also look decent unbraided. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X