• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dyslexia and horse showing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyslexia and horse showing

I have a young student who has natural ability, good feel, and has made a lot of progress in her jumping lessons. She is quite dyslexic, and while it takes her a good while to learn a course (even a simple hunter course), once she has it, she does an excellent job riding it. We've even started to experiment with equitation/jumper type courses, and as long as she has plenty of time to learn the course, she is becoming quite competent. She is at the point where she's totally ready ability wise to be competitive at the horse shows, but I really worry about safety in the schooling area for both her and the other competitors. She has a lot of difficulty processing left vs right or outside vs inside. I certainly don't want this to prevent her from showing and having fun, but does anyone have any tips to make it a more safe and controlled experience?
    Ristra Ranch Equestrian Jewelry

Tie a ribbon to her left wrist to remind her which side is her left? Would it be possible to go to some smaller shows for her to get used to the idea of having to navigate a bunch of nervous concentrating riders?

I'm sure if you take it slowly and work with her without getting discouraged (which it sounds like you're doing well with) she'll come out just fine. At least in the show arena, she'll be alone over fences, or going the same direction as everyone else in the flat classes.

Hope to hear good stories.
    HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandy View Post
      I have a young student who has natural ability, good feel, and has made a lot of progress in her jumping lessons. She is quite dyslexic, and while it takes her a good while to learn a course (even a simple hunter course), once she has it, she does an excellent job riding it. We've even started to experiment with equitation/jumper type courses, and as long as she has plenty of time to learn the course, she is becoming quite competent. She is at the point where she's totally ready ability wise to be competitive at the horse shows, but I really worry about safety in the schooling area for both her and the other competitors. She has a lot of difficulty processing left vs right or outside vs inside. I certainly don't want this to prevent her from showing and having fun, but does anyone have any tips to make it a more safe and controlled experience?
      thats not so much as deslextic but co ordination

thats down to the way your trianing her
      take it from someone whos is serverely deslextic ie me

matey one ccant do courses until they learn the flatwrok and half halts
      and then ground poles small grids then small courses
      one cant do in the air what one cant do on the flat

Comment

I am dyslexic myself (though thankfully pretty mild) and learning courses has always been really hard for me.

The biggest help for me has always been schooling in the actual ring early in the morning. It gives me a good visual association of each fence. If that's not possible, no big deal; it just takes me longer than most people to memorize my courses. Learning one at a time also helped me as a child. I wasn't one of those kids who could learn all three courses for my division at once and keep them straight.

With tons and tons of practice, it has gotten easier for me. I still probably couldn't memorize a grand prix course, though. Luckily I am a hunter rider.

I like the idea of having her associate right and left with some color on her wrist. I think that would work well.

With natural talent and passion, I'm sure your student will go far! I've known a fantastic rider my entire life who is so severely dyslexic that she went to special schools. Although she struggled to learn diagonals and leads, she overcame her challenges. She is extremely successful in the jumper ring and I think she'll make it to the grand prix ring in the near future.

I think it's wonderful you care so much about helping her succeed.

Comment

When you go to teach her a course, you can try saying "turn this way after that oxer" and touch her on the appropriate wrist, and same with start on "this lead" if it's ambiguous at all. That always worked with me. I can do cardinal points well, but at 50 R & L are still an issue.

Comment

Id agree with the above poster, are you sure that its the dyslexia thats making your student forget courses and stuff. My major issue when I started riding (being a dyslexic) was dealing with diagonals as I just couldnt get them going on right even. and Issues with which hand was what, when my trainers used the whole inside outside thing I could get it, but left and right there was no hope. I didnt start riding till I was 12 but before that I had issues with soccer foot skills (so we put a red bow on my right cleat etc). Im not sure exactly why her dyslexia is concerning you about showinging, it sounds as if theres annother issue thats causing these problems. Sounds like you really care though!

Comment

You can try physical tricks like having a glove on one hand and not the other; "turn LEFT" is conceptual, but many people who struggle with that kind of direction can easily process instruction to turn in the direction of the gloved hand.
              We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
              -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Though not dyslexic, but one who really struggles with the left/right, I find that aiming for landmarks really help - down the line towards the big tree, then turn towards the judges booth, reach end of the ring, keep turning until I see the out gate, ride line towards the out gate.... Visualizing the ride really helps - course walks really help.

Or on the flat I relate everything to the fence, it's always on my outside after all. When warming up in a crowded ring, when I change direction I consciously tell myself where I should be moving when I come head to head with another horse - should I be the one sticking to the outside or the one moving to the inside.

I am much better with inside/outside but unfortunately my coach can't seem to make the change for more than 1 direction or two

Comment

I have the same issue as Donkey- it was described to me by my Doctor as a mild form of dyslexia, although I don't have any other difficulties. For the life of me, I can't tell you my left from my right- try giving me directions when driving with me! I find the visualization works for me too- I really need to see the line in my head in order to complete it...I have to choose the path. If I need to get from the red oxer, around the brushbox, to the natural gate- I have to visualize my path and then I find the execution easy. If I can see that the inside track looks do-able, I aim for that- if I see the outside is safer, I will go for that. But really have to try to see it and feel it in order to remember where I am going. If I can't visualize it, disaster! Walking the courses helps me tremendously!
                  I have to say the warm-up ring is really hard- that is not a controlled environment nor is it methodical- so the only way I can survive that is really to concentrate on my horse and what I am needing to accomplish before I go into the ring. I look out for crazies that force their way around the warm-up, not following the "rules", but generally concentrate on my own riding.
                  Maybe this will help her too? She sounds familiar to myself and Donkey (ha! now we sound like were in a scene from shrek!) I am really glad that you are trying to understand this- most people laugh it off when I tell them its a problem for me. Thank you!

Comment

I'm not dyslexic, but I have a lot of trouble with direction. I can't see the simplest of courses if I don't figure it out MY way and MY way only. I have to teach it to myself long before my trainer does, because otherwise i get confused. My trainer likes to associate with direction and numbers, like "start up the quarterline and then down the six, up the seven, down the other six, etc" and i can't understand that at all. I will have no idea where I am going. Instead, the way i see it is "going towards the big tree, jump the single white with the bricks under it. go around and roll back to the right where the judges booth is towards the yellow line, then around towards that umbrella up the green brush boxes, etc" try to use scenery. I like what the other posters said about doing something with gloves/wrists to specify left/right. Try tying a ribbon around her left wrist. Try referencing scenery when youre teaching courses, just make sure they're obvious enough: if there's a lot of trees around, don't say "go towards the big tree" .. try referring to jumps by color/decoration if that helps too. I used to make songs with my friends when we were a lot younger about the jumps when we had tough courses, and we'd always remember them by what they look like (colors, decoration, etc.)
                    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

"Driver's side" and "passenger's side" work better for me than left and right. Learning courses came from lots of practice, and a few simple facts: the oxer can't be the first fence in a line, if one side of the jump has flowers and the other doesn't, jump in going towards the flowers, after a diagonal line, you are generally going to change direction.

All this may change for an equitation course. Bending lines, jumping a single going one direction, and then later going the other direction can be confusing. I try never to be the first person doing the course. Even then no guarantees I'll get it right. Good luck with your student.
                      It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said. I'm slightly dyslexic and have a really hard time remembering where I'm going. I have to repeat the strides and lines a 100 times before I go in the ring. It's also much easier for me if I associate each line with a jump. For example...jump the green and white away from the in gate....the brick in 5 toward the in gate.....etc....that really helps me a lot. Plus keep repeating the steps in the line. I can't tell you how many times I've turned to a line and thought 5??? 6??? and have to hurry though the entire course in my mind until I get to that line in my thoughts. She'll be fine and good luck.

Comment

Dyslexia is a learning disorder characterized by difficultly forming words (written and spoken) into meaningful language. It's not just a reversal of left and right. Dyslexic's often have issues handling rapid instructions and remembering sequences. The best way for a dyslexic to learn something new is a multisensory approach. Get a picture of the course, have her trace the course with her finger while telling you which fences should be jumped in which order. By engaging all her senses you create more oportunites for her to remember.
                          For the horse color genetics junky

Comment

Originally posted by Twisting View Post
                            Dyslexia is a learning disorder characterized by difficultly forming words (written and spoken) into meaningful language. It's not just a reversal of left and right. Dyslexic's often have issues handling rapid instructions and remembering sequences. The best way for a dyslexic to learn something new is a multisensory approach. Get a picture of the course, have her trace the course with her finger while telling you which fences should be jumped in which order. By engaging all her senses you create more oportunites for her to remember.
                            One other thing I was thinking, is to have her actually *ride* the course sitting still. Even if you have to stand behind her, and have her similate the movements, do the course. Pretend to canter; canter your opening circle; look around your turn toward your first fence; count the strides; etc. Have her ride a *virtual* course. I would definitely ease her into riding with many others. Sounds like she may not be ready for a busy warm-up area. Break EVERYTHING into manageable chunks.

Comment

I worked at a riding camp where several of the campers were dyslexic to a greater extent than I. One of the things that helped with the left to right (because even kids that have gotten the left and right down pat had trouble when they got flustered) was "brown glove, blue glove." Brown glove on the left hand, blue glove on the right. It looked funny in the ring, but from the rail you couldn't see it, and when on the horse the kids could see it well enough to know "turn towards the blue glove."

Give her plenty of time to learn the course with you. Have her trace the course on the map, then point to each jump in order. Watch other riders go around and ask her, "Where is she going to go now?" When she's ready to go into the ring and is repeating her course back to you, have her point to each jump in order.

In the schooling ring, if she needs to alert other riders where she's going, have her say "Pass" or "Rail." Try to set up a schooling ring situation at home where people say "inside" and "outside" so you can see how much of a problem that really poses.
                              "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                              Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

I've had three friends who canNOT do right and left. Instead, when we're riding or going somewhere in the car, we say "East" and "West", not meaning them in any way to be correct direction-wise, but they can all visualize a map in their heads in a split second and tell me that East is the right side and West is the left side. It works really well for us.
                                Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

Originally posted by 2boys View Post
                                  One other thing I was thinking, is to have her actually *ride* the course sitting still. Even if you have to stand behind her, and have her similate the movements, do the course. Pretend to canter; canter your opening circle; look around your turn toward your first fence; count the strides; etc. Have her ride a *virtual* course. I would definitely ease her into riding with many others. Sounds like she may not be ready for a busy warm-up area. Break EVERYTHING into manageable chunks.
                                  dont people walk the courses over there before they jump them

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                                    dont people walk the courses over there before they jump them
                                    When you're riding a typical hunter class, you are not permitted to walk the course. You are allowed to walk jumper and some equitation classes, although our local show circuit prohibits eq riders from walking the local medal classes before riding them in order to save time.

If she did have that option, it would certainly be helpful!
                                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok everybody, lots of good info on helping her remember courses, but that's not the issue - we've developed a system through lots of repitition and visualization to the point that she is very good at learning courses now.

The problem is THE SCHOOLING AREA! She just freezes up if someone shouts "inside" or "outside" or "heads up to the oxer" and has no idea where to go. The chaos of the schooling area is totally different than learning a course, and it's not going to help to tie a ribbon on her wrist...I can't tell the other riders in a schooling area to use some special kind of code to help her understand where they are going - that's the problem. She will understand if I point to a jump in the schooling area and say "jump that on the left lead heading away from me", but if someone rides into her path, she has no idea how to tell them where she wants to go or understand where they are asking her to go. The best I've come up with is to have her yell "heads up" a lot if there's someone in her path, but that only goes so far...We've tried to simulate a schooling ring situation at home, but we all know that the schooling area at a show is a little different and very intimidating to any new show rider, let alone one who has trouble processing universally accepted commands.
                                      Ristra Ranch Equestrian Jewelry

Comment

I too am dyslexic, but have no problem with memorizing courses (somehow i'm always forced to go first in my lesson...) try telling her courses with out ever saying a direction or left and right, or a lead just point it out, I just look at the jump and physical clues as to were to go and turn. At least for me and some-others with dyslexia, if you see and do you get it easier then ever looking at a paper or having someone shout left, right, ect.

Like if it is typical hunter outside, diagonal, outside line. I think, start circling towards the building, head to fence by the rail, turn back to diagonal, look to announcers stand, and jump line on next to parking lot.

as for the warm up ring, red ribbon in the horse's tail so she doesn't get trampled from behind. And start small, maybe even find a random other place to warm up, if the horses is amazing and will be ok with only trotting around the arena a few times, she'll be all set!

Comment

Working...
                                        X