• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why do you show below 3 feet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you show below 3 feet

There seems to be a lot of anger about riders that show below 3 feet and I'd like to hear from the riders themselves.

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating?
    2. what height do you show?
    3. why did you pick that height
    4. do you want to move up?
    a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there
    b. if no, why not
    5. What is the highest you want to jump
    6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up
    7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet
    8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?
    9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

I'm supposed to be writing a paper so I can't answer every question but I will say this, when I started showing my youngster and we did 2'6" stuff, it wasn't because we could, it was because I had to. My horse wasn't ready for the higher stuff yet. So it's not like I showed in the lower stuff just because I could or because it was easier or whatnot, I showed in it to give my horse experience.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Comment

Just started 3' this year. Showed 2'6" for the last three years before that.

I go to A and AA shows because that's where my barn goes.

3' now, 2'6" for last few years. Would have done 2'9", but it was rarely offered.

I showed at that height until I was doing it consistently well. At first, there were a lot of added strides, chips, missed or late lead changes.

At first, I didn't. But just this year I got really tired of doing 2'6". Fortunately both horse and I were ready for the move.

very happy at 3' right now.

Kind of, yes. I bought a younger horse. He has a lot of scope and doesn't pay much attention at 2'6".

I showed at 2'6" because showing is FUN! PLUS, I improved much more during the pressure of a horse show than I did at home. There's something about the showring that makes you step up to the plate more than at home where you can have a do-over. :-)

both
      ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Mostly schooling and Cs with some Bs and maybe one or two As. Because that's where my trainer goes and I like to save money.
        2. what height do you show? 2'6"
        3. why did you pick that height? Because I don't feel comfortable jumping any higher.
        4. do you want to move up? yes
        a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? Need to improve my confidence more and would like to be very, very solid at 2'6" before moving up.
        b. if no, why not
        5. What is the highest you want to jump? At this point I'd be happy with 3' I would be content doing the 3'6" in the show ring and jumping up to 4' at home.
        6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Nope.
        7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I like to show. It's a good place to judge my skills and how we're coming along. Showing is a different atmosphere than just riding at home.
        8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? See above.
        9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I'm not quite sure what you're asking... I have lost confidence for a wide variety of reasons. I would like to improve on not chipping at much as the chips are my fault because I lean towards the fences.
        No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
        For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
        www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I show at B/C rated shows locally and the occasional "A" if I go outside.
          2. what height do you show? I generally show in 3' divisions.
          3. why did you pick that height. I'm an Ammy and don't have my own horse.
          4. do you want to move up? Sure, when i get my own horse.
          5. What is the highest you want to jump? I'd probably be fine with 3'6-3'9" but maybe bigger.
          6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up: Lack of
          7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet I ride what I can get, and I love to dress up. And win.
          8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Competition, although I rarely have any.
          9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? My problems are mostly due to riding a lot of crap lunatic horses. (And some nice ones too...but they didn't cause the problems)

Comment

Uh I don't think there's a problem showing under 3'. I do 2'6"-2'9" because my horse is a little older and honestly I get really nervous doing anything over that, even though I've been riding for a long time. I've done AA shows at that level because I like showing. IMO you can be a good rider and not jump high, and you can jump high and not be a good rider.

Comment

A range of "C"'s to "A"'s, maybe a AA here or there. Chosen because that is where my barn goes and sometimes going to a local/schooling show with a pony who consistantly wins at the A's is not fun for other riders who have the local/schooling level horses.

15-17 Eq is 3', Childrens Hunters (Lg. Pony) is 2'6
              (I did do 3 years of long stirrup with my pony though)

3. why did you pick that height?
              This is what my horse and I are comfortable jumping. I dont want to push him to a point where he breaks down at an early age.

Yes, but on a different horse. My pony can do the 3'6" but Im not gonna push him.

My pony has had some issues with being very concerned about jumping in general. To get him to go over a pole on the ground was a huge deal, never mind there being flowers We want him to get as many positive experiences hes can going over tons of different jumps and just having a good time. Hence the 3 years of long stirrup

I would love to move up into the higher level jumpers at some point in my life (4'+)

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up?
              Yes, between the jumping confidence issues and him being a Large Pony, there are limitations

Because I am super competitive, and we want him to go out to have a good experience.

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?\
              Competition and Fun.

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).
              To ride at the lower heights you still need to have a lot of the skills than showing at the higher heights. Basics such as shortening and lengthening stride, asking for a change, working on the bit... atill have to be done. The lower heights just forgive a little more if you make a tiny mistake to help you learn without killing yourself

Comment

Locals and "A"/"AA" shows. My barn shows at these ratings.

Depends on the show, but usually 3'-3'6".
                Trainer.
                Yes.
                I need an upper level jumper and my horse will not go above 4'6".
                b. if no, why not
                Grand Prix.
                Yes.
                I used to show only under 3'. This was when I was a working student/didn't have a horse. I would show on and in whatever I could in order to gain mileage.
                Both.
                Good eye, mileage, good horse, etc. Like HowDoILook said, the lower levels are a little more forgiving than the bigger level jumps. My problem has always been I have never had a horse that could match my skill level. I've jumped 4'6"+ fences before, but since then I have never had a steady partner, until the horse I have now. But even he can not do the 4'6"+ jumps, so I need a GP prospect. Oy vey...
                www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

my answers

I'll give it a whirl.

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                  There seems to be a lot of anger about riders that show below 3 feet and I'd like to hear from the riders themselves.

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? I have a five year old who is about to make his debut. I am going to schooling shows because I vowed to not spend one A show dollar jumping less than 3'. The caveat is that if I could afford A shows, I would do them.
                  2. what height do you show? 2'6" for at least the rest of this year.
                  3. why did you pick that height greenness of horse.
                  4. do you want to move up? yes
                  a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there greenness of horse
                  b. if no, why not
                  5. What is the highest you want to jump I owuld love to have a 3'6" horse, but I don't think this is one is one. I've been wrong before.
                  8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?yes
                  You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Writing this for my as of now horse, i used to do AA at 3ft brewhaha, but since i will start showing my new horse this summer in the baby classes ill put in my two cents.
                    I dont really have that big of a problem of people showing under 3ft, even when i was doing over 3ft... i think it makes especially kids feel "cool" to go to a show and do anything, even locals....

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Right now locals only! yeeehaw!
                    2. what height do you show? hopeful and schooling hunter... 2ft/2'3" BRING IT!
                    3. why did you pick that height? new horse in training! not gunna push him too fast
                    4. do you want to move up? ofcourse!
                    b. if no, why not.... my horse is just starting to jump and go to shows so im not going to ask him to one go to a brand new place and jumping higher than we have at home
                    5. What is the highest you want to jump. A/O... eventually
                    6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up. yes, he is new....
                    7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet. well i didnt used to, my old horse and i showed 3ft, blahdeblah at AA shows... just training a new horse
                    8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? combo... competition is fun, although in hopefuls there is like 2 other people that i will be showing with....
                    9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing)..... i dont really understand this..... to show hopefulls.... i mean all the people in hopefuls in my area are training horses.... all doing the same thing i am!

Comment

A circuit, because the other lower circuits ended up costing around the same
                      2'9
                      3. why did you pick that height?
                      Because the horse has never shown in the hunters, and the childrens is so freaking competitive
                      Yup, I may end up moving up depending on numbers
                      Childrens are tooo competitive
                      b. if no, why not
                      Not sure I jumped my retired horse pretty high
                      to some degree, as she is green
                      Both
                      9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had?
                      After I crashed on my gelding I got a bit nervous, however with this new horse we have been doing really well together and helping me actually find spots.

Comment

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? local shows and "C" shows; those are the shows that my trainer goes to
                        2. what height do you show? 2'9" adults
                        3. why did you pick that height I feel that it is a height that challenges me and my horse, but isn't overly easy or overly hard
                        4. do you want to move up? Eventually, when both my horse and I are ready
                        a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there I have not had a trainer for the past two years, so that was a big obstacle. My barn recently got a new trainer a few months ago and she is a godsend!
                        b. if no, why not
                        5. What is the highest you want to jump I eventually (waayy down the road) hope to be able to do the AO at 3'6"
                        6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up In a way, yes. He is a decent mover and has a decent jump, but isn't great at either. However, in the adults, a consistant trip wins over a fancy horse w/o a consistant trip. However, when you move up to the AOs, "fanciness" begans to count. Also, I am currently in college, so that somewhat limits my time to be able to ride my horse, so I would rather stay at a lower height and work on perfecting myself w/o raising the jumps up higher
                        7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet In my area, the "C" shows are for the under 3'ers. The highest division at our "C"s is the AO/Jrs. which is 3'3" and very rarely fills (most shows only have 2 or 3 entries, if that).
                        8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Both; Yes, I want to get a ribbon, but I also want to concentrate on my trip and making it a good experience for both me and my horse.
                        9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). Right now, I'm working on getting more consistant trips from both me and my horse and reversing all of my faults that I developed in my two years without a trainer. I think that some people show at the lower levels because they offer crossrail and w/t classes, and parents want to see (and pay for) their kids to show.

Comment

I'm not currently showing, but will answer based on when I was, and when I plan to be

C shows mostly, because they are in my back yard on a monthly basis. At one point I boarded at the barn that held monthly C shows, and 1 A show, from March/April through October. Very, very convenient. I did each C show, and a few times the A show. My current horse is always getting injured in a major way, so we've not yet done anything above 2'6"

2'9" at the C shows (AA) and 3' at the A show (AA) with my old horse, 2'6" with my current horse (Specials)

My old horse was in no way capable of putting in a 3'3" or higher course. We had no trainer, and I did not feel it was worth the entry fees to compete against all the professionals who were doing any 3' non-Ammy divisions.

My current is still very green and we've only managed a few 2'6" shows inbetween injuries.

Yes - my current horse has the form and jump to do much more, but the question now is whether he'll stay sound at any significant height, and whether I will be able to get the training to do anything bigger than 3'

Old horse was just not physically capable of putting in a 3'3" course. My current horse just doesn't have the miles yet.

I would LOVE to get to the 3'6" A/O

I've always dreamed of having a horse nice enough to do the A/O, even nice enough to do regular AAs at A shows. My current horse IS nice enough to do the A/Os, but soundness might be an issue now.

Mostly answered above. My old horse was very comfy doing 2'9" courses, and since they were literally in our backyard, it was cheap. My current horse is still gaining miles, so our next goal is to get back to 2'6" showing, then 2'9", and see how that goes. I really, really would like to be able to do a few A shows in the AAs at 3'. I'm not holding out much hope at this point that he will stay injury-free long enough to ever dream of anything higher. However, I may breed my mare, and maybe she'll produce my A/O horse

Mostly for fun, and competition with myself.

For years and years I didn't have a trainer, therefore never even contemplated showing higher than 3', even if I thought my horse could do it.

Comment

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Mostly A
                            2. what height do you show? Last year was 2'6 (got a new horse), year before was 3' (and 3'3 medals)
                            3. why did you pick that height? My horses picked it for me
                            4. do you want to move up? Most definitely
                            a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? A horse capable of jumping the height...
                            b. if no, why not
                            5. What is the highest you want to jump? I have Olympic dreams.......
                            6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Yes
                            7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I enjoy showing and just because I can't afford a Junior Hunter doesn't mean I shouldn't be showing.
                            8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Both
                            9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I don't think I've rushed into showing... I am 18 (been showing since I was 14 I think) I just lack quality horses to take me higher.

In all, I agree that maybe cross poles are a little low for A circuit shows, however even experienced riders with green horses enjoy showing.. even at lower levels (ie 2'6) I also can't afford to buy a really nice horse to teach me, my horse and I learn together!

Comment

- locals to 'A' shows; all are challenging and fun
                              - generally 2'6 [showing at Devon in locals on a different horse (trainer's sale horse) at 3'3]
                              - I need to not get nervous at shows so this is a little lower and easier to fix problems
                              - YES!!!
                              - Too hard for horse to do rated 3' or higher and nerves don't help either
                              b. if no, why not
                              - -------
                              - As high as I can but my goal right now is the 3'
                              - yes, he doesn't have the motivation to do higher and if I'm even 5% chicken he won't do it
                              - I love it. Its a way to show what you have learned at home and a way to know what to work on
                              - Both; sure I like winning, but it's not all about the ribbons
                              - You need to be able to ride around a course The problem for me is just nerves. I just tense up and it's just not good. The two worst falls I have had, one resulted in a broken wrist and I was out for 3 months (in October 2004) and the other fall was a concussion and I was out for 1 1/2 months (in January 2009), both have happened in the show ring and have really crushed my confidence. I can do 3'6 at home, I just get so nervous at shows and then my horse doesn't want to do it either. We tried 3' but that's when I got my concussion.

Comment

I show at AA, A, B and C rated shows. I go where my barn and friends will be, horse shows are both a competition and a chance to see my friends.
                                I have shown up through the 4'6 jumpers but currently show in the 2'6 and have for the past 5 years.
                                My old, now retired horse moved down from the 3'6 and then from the 3 ft. Then I had a succession of two greenies who needed to start somewhere. The 2nd greenie is happiest at 2'6 and below so that's where we are.
                                Yes, that is why he's for sale. I'd like another project that will do the 3 or 3'6.
                                Money, this horse to be sold and a new one found within my budget.
                                b. if no, why not
                                Probably the 3'6 but I'd do big jumpers on the right horse.
                                Yes, see above
                                see number 1, I love the competition, seeing what I can do with my little OTTB and spending a weekend with friends, my dog and my horse. It's ideal.
                                see above
                                Ummm...I've been showing at the rated and nonrated shows since I was 10. Generally, I still make ammy mistakes to the jumps but I can usually find 6 or 7 pretty well
                                Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Comment

We just do the monthly schooling shows at our barn. I don't have the $$ or the gear to do anything else.

We did beginner Eq (18" for the O/F classes) for the last series. This series we're doing Open Eq, 2' and 2'3".

I used to jump 3'6" when I was a kid, then got out of riding for quite a few years. Now I'm 34 and not as brave as I used to be. Also, my horse is a greenie and he's not the greatest conformationally, so I doubt I'd ever ask him to do more than 2'6".

2'6" will be perfectly fine for us, methinks.

b. if no, why not
                                  See #3.

We'll probably move up to 2'6" next season.

Absolutely. He's a "forever horse" for me, and I'd like to keep him sound for as long as possible.

I never showed when I was younger, so doing it now as an adult, I feel like I'm getting to relive my childhood, haha... but I don't feel like I have anything to prove by going higher and higher.

Mostly for fun. Us adult re-riders at our barn are competitive in a friendly sort of way, but it's definitely FUN before anything else.

I'm just starting to get comfortable going over 2' again; it's been a challenge, not jumping ahead, getting back my eye for distance, etc.
                                  *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

I'll play...

I don't think there is anger in the real world about riders who show at 3' and below - for one thing, that is the group that keeps most shows in business. You have to take a lot of what you read on the internet/this BB with a grain of salt.

In reality, the folks who show in the adults everywhere I've shown have been a lot of fun and very supportive of each other - and that's been everywhere from local shows in the south to some of the biggest AA shows up here in Zones 1 & 2.

Mostly show at A shows, every once in a while a local. I chose shows based on where my trainer is going, but also based on the facility and the amenities offered - including the quality of the JUDGE. I like the fact that at rated shows, you have stewards looking out for the safety of the horses and a rule book and standards which help assure quality (footing, jumps etc) and a level playing field.
                                    2. what height do you show? 3' adult amateurs & eq
                                    3. why did you pick that height I am a working adult with the typical busy schedule including work and family responsibilities. I find this is a comfortable height for me to compete without getting stressed out or having it be a big deal.
                                    4. do you want to move up? Eventually I'd like to get back to the A/O ring, but I'd have to be able to ride enough to feel confident that I could be very accurate at 3'6" - for all the talk on this BB about how it is so simple, frankly an inaccurate ride at 3'6" can get even a good horse in trouble and a miss is more likely to cause a significant problem or crash. My horse is more than capable of jumping around the bigger track (and we do so at home sometimes) but being competitive at that height is a different story for now.
                                    a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there More saddle time, mostly
                                    b. if no, why not
                                    5. What is the highest you want to jump If I ever had another jumper again, I'd like to do the low A/Os.
                                    6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up Nope, I bought one that has more scope than I'll ever use.
                                    7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet Jumping around a 3' hunter course offers plenty of challenge, particularly in good company like we have here in Zones 1 & 2. I enjoy having the goals of qualifying for various shows like the New England or our CT finals shows, and find shows to be a nice social venue in addition to offering the opportunity to compete.
                                    8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Both
                                    9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). To be competitive in the adults around here, you have to be able to find 8 good distances, nail your lead changes and have a horse that moves and jumps in good form. There are a lot of very fancy adult hunters showing in this area and the riders are mostly very competent also. The eq is also very competitive and like any other eq division, the adults have to be able to smoothly execute a course that asks some striding questions, ride an accurate track and make it look simple and effortless.
                                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
                                      Uh I don't think there's a problem showing under 3'. I do 2'6"-2'9" because my horse is a little older and honestly I get really nervous doing anything over that, even though I've been riding for a long time. I've done AA shows at that level because I like showing. IMO you can be a good rider and not jump high, and you can jump high and not be a good rider.
                                      ditto!

Comment

I'll give it a whirl...

b. if no, why not
                                        1. This season we are attending unrated "B" quality shows. (Though I have competed at manyy AA shows 3'6" and up.)
                                        2. crossrails this weekend, and non-jumping
                                        3. For myself, my young horse is heading out for the first time, my customers are adult beginners, while confident, new to showing.
                                        4,.Yes, everyone does.
                                        a. Experience for the young horse, and time for the clients.
                                        b. N/A, with the exception of my mother, who may never show in the 3'. She'e nervous, but likes the challenge and the other ladies.
                                        5. Grand Prix, I have shown through the m1.40; but currently have to make my next horse.
                                        6. Depends... my horse is young and unproven... I chose the crossrails this time so we can all be in & out. 2 of the ladies are on mounted on older schoolmasters who competed in high A/O jumpers, and Regular workings'; they're creaky and shouldn't do more than 2'6". The 3rd lady has a 3 year old, it's inapproriate for him to do more than an X.
                                        7. To get dressed up, test our skills, give the young horses exposure... and get off the farm!
                                        8.Both... while I like to win, I am happy with a good day.
                                        9. I don't think anyone is rushing, I teach adult beginners. 7 year old kids start at the crossrail and w/t division, and I feel that it's part of the building block. Getting over the nerves and functioning under scrutiny.

Comment

Working...
                                        X