• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Importing from Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing from Europe

Could someone share their experiences with me? Did you travel there to try horses or did you buy one "sight unseen"? Did you go through a broker? Anyone have any experience with www.KWPNimports.com ? Did you think it was worth your money to go there rather then to buy here?
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Honestly, with the state of the economy and the fact that the euro is so much stronger than the dollar... you'd probably get a better deal on a wb here on home-turf... where people are looking to get ANY return on their investment horses that they can't move!

That being said... if this is what you really want to do...I'd fly over to Europe with a trusted professional that has a relationship with an agent over there... never would buy one sight unseen and without sitting on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thats what I thought at first, but its starting to seem that people here would rather hold on to their nice young ones then sell them below what they think they are really worth. Of course, there are desperate people out there but I think they are in the lower (20k-under) bracket. So even with the dollar the way it is, are euro horses still competitively priced?

Comment

All I have to say is be very careful. There are far too many places that think they can take advantage of a foreigner. Go with someone who has good connections, knows who they're talking to and what they're talking about and you will hopefully go back to North America with a horse that you love, was exactly what you saw/tried and will not have been cheated in terms of pricing.
        I'm in the Netherlands right now at a wonderful sales barn - feel free to PM me if you're looking to find more info about buying horses here, or anything else!

As for transport of a horse I believe we've used European Horse Services for almost all of our shipments to and from and they've been nothing but wonderful! www.ehs.be
        I'd rather be riding!

Comment

Be careful. "Horse traders" and people who know the value and potential of their stock are everywhere. Europeans see Americans coming if you know what I mean.

My first instinct was to write "If you have to ask..." I don't mean that in a derogatory or snide way, but to say unless you have a trusted network-- not just a trainer in the US, but also one in Europe or an agent known to you or with a verifiable track record, plus a PPE vet, I think you are exposing yourself to a great deal of risk.

Also, check on the costs of shipping and quarantine. Last I heard that added about $7-10K to the price of your Eurobred.

Hope this helps with whatever you decide!
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Well Dealers are dealers in every language, shape, and form. I'm aware of that. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly all before. However, no one has yet to answer my question: Are horses more competitvely priced in Europe or the US in terms of young stock? Even in today's economy? As far as importing, I was looking for some basic info and maybe a recomendation. I am by no means sold on going to Europe but I'm willing explore where my money will take me the farthest.

Comment

I'd say it completely depends on what you are looking for. For foals I'd definitely look local first. But if you are shopping for something under saddle you may still find it easier to find it here in Europe. Numbers game, much less distance involved to travel per horse etc.etc.
              There are owners trying to cut losses on investments (who would really buy a horse as an investment anyways...) here as well. For instance last week a 8yo stallion, proven over S* sold for around 65K Euro and this horse had changed hands for 200K as a 3yo through an elite auction and was resold as an M-level 6yo for 80K.
              I wouldn't bother to come here to shop for what's readily available at home but if I understand you correctly that's not what you were asking right?
              Froh zu sein bedarf es wenig...
              http://www.germanhorseconnection.com
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germa...m/237648984580

Comment

I think the competitive pricing part definitely depend on where you look, who you look with, and what you are looking for. We went to Europe 2 years ago to get my moms future A/O. We went with a couple who our trainer recommended because they are always importing and know a ton of people over there. Right now I would say that you would probably find better pricing in the US due to the economy--people are trying really hard to sell horses but I agree with you in the sense that people who have really nice young prospects here are hanging on to them or still asking the same price that you could find one for in Europe.

So like I said it all depends. My jumper is an import (we didn't import him but the people we bought him from did) and my moms future A/O we imported. I personally just liked the going to Europe and doing the shopping/trying It is a lot of setting things up and organizing everything (I just remember my mom and the trainers talking about it FOREVER) and the flying and quarantine does add quite a bit to the price (the shipping/flying/quarantine, depending on what kind of services you get when they are flying/in quarantine, added about 9k to the horses price)

I do love a european horse though--most of the time they have great work ethics and are well broke--plus they just have a "european" look that I like. If you need any more info feel free to PM me--our barn has imported manyy horses.

Comment

A few years ago, Geoff Young wrote an article in the Rocky Mountain Horse Connection about shopping in Germany with Nancy Gooding... it gave a pretty cool picture of the process, if you can dig up the article.

Comment

If I had unlimited price range for my next horse I would bring one over from Germany. My trainer imports from Ireland and has several contacts. She already said my next horse is going to be bought stateside becuase of the dollar value.
                    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
                    Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
                    Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

Have you thought about Argentina? I don't know if you are looking for a hunter, jumper, or an equitation prospect, but we have a boarder that solely buys Argentinian horses and absolutely swears by them. And, my god, are they impressive! I was supposed to go over Christmas, but a bunch of things ended up getting in the way, but we're definitely going this upcoming year, and I am greatly looking forward to it. If you are able to make the right connections (just like Europe, I wouldn't go alone/without a good inside connection), you can get some AMAZING horses for quite a bit less money than you could get them stateside (the last horse this boarder sold was bought for the mid 4 figures and sold for the HIGH five figures in a matter of 8 months). Shipping and quarantine costs are around 5K if you can get on a full pallet. Just a thought.
                      Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkie View Post
                        Have you thought about Argentina? I don't know if you are looking for a hunter, jumper, or an equitation prospect, but we have a boarder that solely buys Argentinian horses and absolutely swears by them. And, my god, are they impressive! I was supposed to go over Christmas, but a bunch of things ended up getting in the way, but we're definitely going this upcoming year, and I am greatly looking forward to it. If you are able to make the right connections (just like Europe, I wouldn't go alone/without a good inside connection), you can get some AMAZING horses for quite a bit less money than you could get them stateside (the last horse this boarder sold was bought for the mid 4 figures and sold for the HIGH five figures in a matter of 8 months). Shipping and quarantine costs are around 5K if you can get on a full pallet. Just a thought.
                        Ditto this. I've sat on a lot of very nice horses brought over from Argentina. Some were bought for low-fives and then sold for high-fives to six figures.
                        www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

IMPORTING

So tired of people importing horses! Small rant but seriously if you are going to bring a horse here from another country it better be really special. As in you could not find it here, otherwise what is the point other than to say I imported a horse. I can guarantee that almost anything you find over there can be bought cheaper here.
                          grand prix

Comment

We bought my AO horse (With GP potential) and also my young one overseas (Australia). We've been really happy with both and paid less than we ever would have in the US. I would have bought here but the prices were really high

Comment

cheaper overseas

LOL what a joke! Come on did your a/o horse become a g.p horse???

Quickly here a horse is priced based on money won, or should be, So the big winner while costing big $$$ can also bring in big $$$ winning classes. Less carefull horses that are great teachers are less expensive as they will never earn there keep. I mean really I know of several A/O horses for under 70k. Dear lord I have a 6 yr old that has g.p potential he is showing in the 1.30 and 1.35 double clear will do 1st g.p in september and oh he is a t/b and cost 2,500. I would sell him for 40k. After his winnings he has cost a total of 10k including purchase. I have 2 others that are 5 1 that is 4 and all cost under 2k and will jump a 4ft course except the 4 yo who is doing 3ft

There are far to may good horses here just lacking some quality trainers. Great cheerleaders though! Good job you spent 40k or 100k wow you are pretty. So sick of half cocked trainers getting clients to sped big $$ on horses.
                              grand prix

Comment

About whether horses are cheaper here (in Europe) or over in NA, it depends on what you're looking for. If we're talking about buying a horse with top bloodlines, I think they will be more expensive in Europe because here they are obsessed with the bloodlines and some of the best semen in the world is available here and only here, making them that much more exclusive.
                                However, I believe that luvs2ridewbs doesn't need to worry about bloodlines too much since they don't really have horses here bred to be hunters.
                                If you find someone here who knows the value of a hunter horse, the price will likely be extraordinarily high. If you find someone who knows nothing about the hunter world and is trying to sell the horse as a dressage prospect (who happens to have a wonderful hunter jump) then you will likely get a great deal.
                                I'd rather be riding!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the great responces. I would be looking for a hunter prospect for those of you who were wondering. You've given me alot to think about!

Comment

g29000, while TBs are certainly available cheaply, not everyone can ride them. I think the warmbloods are favored not only for the look, but for their rideability. Generally (certainly there are exceptions), the colder temperament of the warmblood makes it a more amateur and junior friendly horse. So yes, it is possible to buy an inexpensive TB and develop a winning horse, but it's not for everyone.

Personally, it seems to me that many folks in the U.S. are not pricing realistically in view of the market. Some are, but many seem to be trying to continue on with pricing as usual. As for breeders, it is still far cheaper to raise horses abroad than it is here. By the time a young, well-bred hunter prospect is w/t/c u/s here, the breeder has spent a considerable sum getting the horse to that point.

Whether it is cheaper to buy abroad or here in light of the dollar really depends on where and with whom you are shopping. OP, as others have said, do expect to spend $6k to $10k on shipping to the airport, flight and quarantine if you bring one over. More if it is a mare or a stallion (longer quarantine).

Comment

I imported from Germany in 2001, sight unseen off a video direct from a breeder. At that time, it was a super deal... as the US-Euro was very strong. I got a nice foal (super athletic, beautiful conformation/mover) that probably would have been in the $10-12k range here, for under $10k including import. I would be more hesitant to look now with the currency exchange. Then again, if you find *the* horse, then it probably doesn't matter where it is... you'll do what's necessary to get it!

Also regarding the sight-unseen purchases (both domestic and foreign), I have to admit that I've had three successful purchases: a pony hunter that went on to ribbon at pony finals, the warmblood foal from Germany (nice horse, but better dressage than jumping, who we sold recently), and a quarter pony for trail riding (who's begging to be a pony jumper lol!). In each case, I had good conformation photos and/or videos that sold me and the sellers were very good with communicating, answered every minute-detail of a question and were consistent in their descriptions and policies. It's risky. But you have to go with your gut. For each one of those purchases I made other inquiries on horses I liked, but for whatever reason they didn't feel right, something was off about the horse, or the seller seemed sketchy or slow to respond to questions.

Most hunter/jumper trainers have connections in Europe. I've seen some of the horses that Annie Dotoli has sent to the New England area, and they've been extremely nice. So if you can find a good, in-the-know hunter/jumper person that's now based in Europe, that might also be helpful as you shop there. Good luck!
                                      Last edited by French Twist; May. 9, 2009, 03:08 AM. Reason: oops, bad grammar! a pet peeve of mine, thus i must fix!
                                      Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

Comment

Ah, French Twist! Funny you mention Annie - she just came to see one of our horses last week! I heard she was from the states originally. She's very nice!
                                        I'd rather be riding!

Comment

Working...
                                        X