• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Am I being presumptous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being presumptous?

My horse goes best getting work 6 days a week. She is pretty green over fences, but to just get on her and hack- she is simple, kick along quiet. I want to only ride 4-5 days a week, and no $ to pay trainer for extra rides. My friend rides her once a week as time allows.

Sooo.... there are a gaggle of kids at the barn and one girl is quite good. Trainer suggested I ask her, so fine, she is riding the horse. Great. I am assuming that it is a "treat" at that age to get an extra horse to ride on occasion. And not factoring in paying her.

But then I see on another topic- people getting $15-20 to hack a horse. I kind of feel like it's "free" experience, I'm not expecting training, not telling her what to do. Under what circumstances should you pay a barn kid to ride your horse? I don't want to offend these people....

Is she making a special trip out just to do your horse? Or is she simply tacking one on to her list?

If it's the first one, it might be nice to give her gas money every once and a while, but if it's the second, I would assume that she would do it as a "treat". Just my opinion. I've been that kid and always was happy to do one more if I was already at the barn.

Comment

If the kid is willing to do it for free, then obviously they're fine getting paid in experience. Unless she comes to you asking for money, don't sweat it.

Comment

Is she's doing you a favour and saving you work then pay her something.

Even if it's payment in gifts.

Comment

I agree with maybe some gas money if she's having to make a special trip...otherwise, she's lucky to get another ride.

Comment

I second that. There is no riding experience that can't be a learning one, and regardless its still more time on a horse. Especially if this is a junior, she should be happy to have another horse to ride. It would be nice, though, if she does it regularly and is responsible and good to the horse, if some small form of appreciation is shown at some point, such as gas money or a small gift.

Comment

As a junior, I would've done it for free. As an amateur, I'd certainly do it for free

If, however, you feel that you're benefiting from her riding, ask trainer what is appropriate.
              ---
              They're small hearts.

Comment

I think that the experience for a kid is what they should be getting paid in, not money. Extra saddle time should be reward enough.

And if you like how the kid rides your horse, a little thank you gift every now and then would probably be very appreciated (but not expected). Like a $20 gas card if the kid drives, or buy her lunch sometimes. Sometimes little tokens go a long way in saying "I really appreciate you helping me out with Trigger." Doesn't have to be expensive to be appreciated.

Comment

I ride a few of the others boarders horses at my barn for them because they need their horses ridden and they cant come to the barn for some reason. I dont get paid by these people, because I just like riding there horses to get experience on other horses than my own. Every now and then Ill get a thank you gift such as a gift card to a tack shop, or an extra special birthday/Christmas gift. Sometimes if they go to a show they will let me do a class or 2 on the horse, which is probably my favorite thing.

But every now and then a little thank you note from the owner makes me feel good and they appreciate me riding their horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

She's already at the barn, just a matter of adding one to the list.

She is saving me "work" but I used to save my friend work by riding her horse and felt like she was treating me to something nice by asking me to ride. A gift is a nice idea, again.... I'm a bit short on cash given the bad economy. (ie, I really can't afford to pay... or shop for something). Maybe I can give her a hand with barn chores- clean her tack or something.

I think I will let her know that if it is an inconvenience to let me know. It's just new to me that kids get paid to ride- but thinking back- my old barn had a kid that charged $30 to "train" people's horses.

Comment

We ride each other's horses all the time. When someone is hurt, out of town, busy with work/school, etc. No one ever thinks of paying for it. It is just kind of "barn karma."
                      A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia73 View Post
                        She's already at the barn, just a matter of adding one to the list.

She is saving me "work" but I used to save my friend work by riding her horse and felt like she was treating me to something nice by asking me to ride. A gift is a nice idea, again.... I'm a bit short on cash given the bad economy. (ie, I really can't afford to pay... or shop for something). Maybe I can give her a hand with barn chores- clean her tack or something.
                        A hand written thank you is always nice and well appreciated.

I don't know your financial situation and I don't want to pry, but if you show, buying her lunch (picking up a hamburger and a soda or whatever) is nice and shouldn't break the bank.

Comment

When I was a kid, it was all fun and experince for me! Even now as a young professional I do not always get paid to ride horses as sale horses and such, but rather I get free lessons which are way more beneifical to me than money. I am riding a young horse in exchange for some new tall boots which I needed badly. To me I am still young enough that its about experince so when I do strike out on my own as a professional I can handle anything thrown at me.
                          I love cats, I love every single cat....
                          So anyway I am a cat lover
                          And I love to run.

Comment

My daughter is asked to ride horses if owners are unable to get out and is thrilled for the opportunity. It must be a horse that is at her level, no crazed killers, and the trainer lets people know if their horse is a good fit. She never gets paid but now and then a small present is given and it is appreciated but not expected. She is so happy to have the variety of rides and luckily is always happiest with her own sweet guy.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia73 View Post
                              My horse goes best getting work 6 days a week. She is pretty green over fences, but to just get on her and hack- she is simple, kick along quiet. I want to only ride 4-5 days a week, and no $ to pay trainer for extra rides. My friend rides her once a week as time allows.

Sooo.... there are a gaggle of kids at the barn and one girl is quite good. Trainer suggested I ask her, so fine, she is riding the horse. Great. I am assuming that it is a "treat" at that age to get an extra horse to ride on occasion. And not factoring in paying her.

But then I see on another topic- people getting $15-20 to hack a horse. I kind of feel like it's "free" experience, I'm not expecting training, not telling her what to do. Under what circumstances should you pay a barn kid to ride your horse? I don't want to offend these people....
                              She's a kid. Most kids LOVE riding good horses... so let her just have the privledge of hacking your lovely mare, unless you're approached by trainer and/or parent about compensation.

Around the holidays, it's always nice to pick up a little something extra for the kid... just to say thanks and show your appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
                                She's a kid. Most kids LOVE riding good horses... so let her just have the privledge of hacking your lovely mare, unless you're approached by trainer and/or parent about compensation.

Around the holidays, it's always nice to pick up a little something extra for the kid... just to say thanks and show your appreciation.
                                I know that if I were that kid, I would be absolutely thrilled for the opportunity to ride another horse, and would do it for free! Granted, when at home I'm about 10 minutes from the barn so even if I had to make an extra trip just for said horse it wouldn't be a big deal. I agree about possibly giving a present or "thank you" around the holiday's, but for most horse crazy kids (shoot, people in general) extra rides are always welcomed and not expected to be paid.

Comment

I wouldn't pay her. Nor would I feel bad about not paying her. You're both benefitting. Just be sure to emphasize that if/when it becomes an inconvenience, she needs to let you know.

I had a kid riding for me (re-hab riding...so really not fun) during the summer. She enjoyed it (my horse is much nicer than what she normally rides...even when it's just re-hab trotting). She let me know that she didn't have time after school started again. Worked out just fine.

I'm also the type that doesn't pay if I need someone to take care of my horse for a few days (within reason). You know, feed, blanket, maybe longe...ride if they are on the 'approved list'. Then when they need someone to take care of their horse, I'm available. I call it being neighborly...something society has sort of lost touch with.
                                  Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                  Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

If she's happy with the arrangement and you're happy with the arrangement, then don't worry about it.

Comment

I agree with the majority of posts here. I started out by riding EVERYTHING I could, for free. I even got an amazing opportunity to ride a horse for a year while the owner was in Canada - AND I had to do HER share of barn chores! (the horse was crazy and could've killed me - I was 16 - but I LOVED him and was ecstatic to get the offer!) He was an OTTB, and a very difficult ride, but he taught me a LOT.

I never got paid, and probably got a nice Christmas gift or something similar.

I agree with the person that said to help out with her barn chores (as we all know, EVERYONE is strapped for cash right now!). You mentioned she rides other horses (not in lessons)? If you are there when she rides, maybe help her tack/cool off/bathe those horses. Or help clean her tack? I know the girls where I used to work LOVED 7-11 slurpies in the summer, maybe pick her up one on the way to the barn one day (search around in your car for change - I found $2.50 to buy my boyfriend a sonic slush the other day! ).

As far as whether you SHOULD pay her or not, unless she is getting paid to ride other's horses (trainer should be able to tell you), or she is actually TRAINING the horse, a small token of appreciation should do the trick.
                                      In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.

Comment

That other post is from an adult asked directly by the owner to ride a sometimes difficult horse that not everybody can ride...even then skills come into question in determining what, if anything, is to be paid.

This is just extra hacks suggested by the trainer with a barn kid and not customarily something the kid would be paid for. If it's a decent horse, they should be paying you to ride it.

And, no, I do not pay for barn kids to hack my nice horse-and they give me little gifts for the priviledge along with lots of thank yous.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X