• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

LONG ISLAND- The outcome of this past PHA meeting

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know what the fee is for Juniors and Amateurs- Dave and I are both professional members( I'm sure this will open up a can of worms). But $25 sounds right.

Anyone interested should and can attend the meetings. Any new input is good input, in my book.
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

Consider me a member. Thank you Deb and Janet for sticking up for us non-members. Glad the show went well. Sorry I missed it. I was busy turning 40 years old and pretending to be surprised at my surprise party. (Hubby had to tell me - LIKE A CHILD!!!) He's cute. I judged at Bohemia Sun. I was surprised, I thought they'd all be at PHA. Patty Messina was there, that really shocked me. Looking forward to the next meeting. When is it?

Comment

• Original Poster

June 4th-PHA same place same time and June 11th LIHSAA same place,same time and that is a very important meeting for all to attend. No membership required just the want to be involved! I will talk that one up big time as we get closer.
        \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
        Stevie Nicks

Comment

• Original Poster

I had spoken to Alvin and Carolyn at the horse show. With the up and coming open LIHSAA meeting coming up on Mon. June 11th I suggested new comittee members. They agreed and I said I would like all present to nominate some on a piece of paper to be handed in at the meeting and the present comittee could make selections from that. So remember if you want to have a say please come and think about the people you would like making decisions for you.
          Stevie Nicks

Comment

Boy am I sorry to have missed the last meeting. The change in date conflicted with my schedule. I will surely be at the next one and yes I am a current member.
            For as long as I have been invovled with the LIPHA the meetings have been open to all but only members could actually vote on issues. I find it funny that no one has a list of current members at each meeting to clarify who can vote. I also can't believe that there is not one master mailing list compiled. I have been and active member for over six years and several notices and invitations have not been sent to me.
            Debbie good luck on your mission. I for one think there should be a lot of changes. Can someone enlighted me on the Merger idea between the LIPHA and the LIHSAA? I have only heard Alvin's comment of "not as long as I am president" See you all at the next meeting.

Comment

I agree with you things must become more straight forward. proceedures have to be set and followed.Alvin was very adimant(sp?) about opposing the merger.
              Brilyntrip

Comment

I need a little history lesson. When did the LIHSAA come into being? Who were the original members? My understanding is the LIHSAA was created by a handful of local horseshow managers, who ran at the time the 20 or so shows on Long Island. In an effort to get people to continue to show more, offered points toward an end of the year award. That award is given out at the LIPHA dinner dance.

The amount of shows on Long Island has increased tremendously and today a committee of 12 or 13 representing only one side of horse showing is rather short sighted. There should be representatives from all areas of horse showing including, management, exhibitors, professionals, maybe even licensed officals. Otherwise we risk having decisions made that are not for the "masses" but for a smaller group. There also is no checking system in place at the moment. As we all have seen, the recent point tabulation controversy was not embraced by the showing population, but other than stating our opinions, the decision making process was in the hands a select group that meets ONCE a year.
                Have the LIPHA and the LIHSAA ever joined ranks? Can anyone see any "cons" as to why they shouldn't be together?

Comment

Alot of people, members and non-members, think it would be very advantageous to have a closer relationship between the two organizations. We should all be striving for the same goal and be able to have open discussions on any topic pertaining to the horse industry on Long Island. For some reason our Chairman is absolutely against it.
                  At this open LIHSAA meeting, June 11th, we must discuss by-laws and rules and regulations for the LIHSAA- there are none now which leads to much confusion and no set pattern to follow if there is a problem. Also, please come with suggestions for an up-dated committee, this is a must.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thought you cast us off for a bit there! Missed you at the meeting and our pre-meeting dinner. Once again I needed that menu except this time in the meeting! Ask Linda Prisco to fill you in on that one.[Evil, evil woman lol]
                    Merger is out. Alvin is totally against it due to some fiasco some years back. When I saw no merger possible that is when I decided it was time to get new comittee members and more open meetings so we could have a place to keep up on what's going on, and people I felt confident in, that would decide the future for L.I. showing.
                    By-Laws. My god is this not insane that there are none as of now. Please,and you wonder why no one knows what is going on. I think once we come up with new members to the comittee this is an ASAP project for LIHSAA. How can we impose fines or rules with no by-laws. I admit I am not Mrs. political but even I knew any association MUST have these.
                    Lots of work ahead for LIHSAA so I hope you comittee members are ready to put all the time needed to run a good association. This IS expected of you!
                    Stevie Nicks

Comment

Whew!!! That's telling it like it is!!! Go get 'em, Deb!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Do any other LIHSAA committee members have opinions about the merger? I appreciate Alvin's point of view but he is only ONE person. Doesn't he sit on the LIHSAA because he is the chairman of the LIPHA? Shouldn't he be speaking for the masses? My impression was that the LIPHA chairperson was our spokesperson at the LIHSAA meetingI have heard over and over "this is a LIPHA meeting not a LIHSAA meeting", but as the chairperson who represents the LIPHA at the LIHSAA meetings how else are we to get our ideas, and points of view across? Since the LIHSAA meetings usually occur once a year behind closed doors, or worse in one on one telephone calls where no group discussion of thoughts or ideas can be aired, where else are horse people supposed to go to get our thoughts known? The decisions made by the LIHSAA effect most members of the LIPHA I for one don't feel as if they are listening. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess we should discuss in detail the incident that happened way back when why Alvin is dead set against it at the june 11th meeting.Like I said, if no merger then open meetings.
                          As far as any votes taken, I feel no votes should be taken over the phone. A comittee member should be presnt to vote. This way they can get a feel of the room and also show the general public that they are willing to put the time into the L.I. horse comunity. Ask anyone who has been to one of the few open LIHSAA meetings you need to be there to hear all opinions befor casting a vote. I know many comitte members changed there vote after they came to the meeting at East Coast stables with the 20 horse show fiasco! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Stevie Nicks

Comment

I don't remember what happened "way back when". Could you reiterate the details?
                            \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

I appreciate the difference between the purposes of the PHA and the LIHSAA. What is lacking is an organization open to all that has accountability to participants in the sport, ie those whose interests are affected by its actions. Neither organization at present seems to be able to address this problem. Though PHA is presently the only organization open to all comers, provided they cough up the dues.

Inner Bay Equestrian
                              Facebook
                              KERx

Comment

Have these problems been around for a long time? I don't recall there being so many problems when I was showing. God only knows - it's been 11 years since I've been on a horse so I'll just keep my mouth shut. Hope everything straightens out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Not a clue Janet. That is why I wanted to bring it up. I was hoping someone could enlighten us. No matter what the issue was, new era, new people. How long can one hold a grudge?
                                  Stevie Nicks

Comment

The LIPHA meetings are open to anyone. Whether you have paid your dues or not, you can voice your opinion. The voting on actions or decisions is however restricted to current dues paying members.
                                    I quess the "incident way back when" is still a mystery.

Comment

and it seems that all are welcome at the meetings, though only members can vote. I think that aside from this privilege, the benefits of PHA membership to those other than professionals have not been made all that clear...this is also a problem...with the main interest of the most participants at shows being either the outcome of the LIHSAA tabulations or the conditions of competition, the way things are structured now (or not) certainly doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I am missing something, and if so, I'd be delighted if someone "in the know" would clue me in.

Inner Bay Equestrian
                                      Facebook
                                      KERx

Comment

• Original Poster

Mary, that is exactly what I would like to see from LIHSAA. No by-laws, no meetings [except that one a year they had] comittee members not attending meetings, shall I go on. COME ON-just read the insanity of this all and lets get some people together who really want to make L.I. a pleasurable showing experience. Enough is enough.

Oh jeezes here I go, somebody put me in check here!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
                                        Stevie Nicks

Comment

The reason why I wasnt there was because the divisions that I needed to show in went on different days then in the past years so it didnt benefit me in going. I have supported this show in the past with many enteries I would of again but in wasnt in the cards for me this year, I dont think the time schedule was thought through enough before printing it. How many enteries did you end of having for the 3 days? I can figure the rest out myself if the changes that were made this year benefited the PHA or not.

Comment

Working...
                                          X