• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you ever call out your horse's strides?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever call out your horse's strides?

I follow Olympian Tim Stockdale's weekly blog and this morning he gave a really good tip that I thought I'd share. He suggests calling your horse's strides out loud, even thought it may seem a bit silly. He says because the horse's legs become your legs while you are riding, it makes you much more aware and helps your brain tune in to what the horse is actually doing underneath you.

Does anyone here ever do that? How has it affected your jumping - and riding in general?
    I thought it was a really good suggestion, especially if you have trouble keeping your rhythm into fences.

This is his blog series, for anyone interested. It's superb.
    http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blo...=17nxpbnhb8y64

I count my strides outloud sometimes but never louder than a low whisper unless my trainer wants me too. It definitely helps me because as I'm counting, I can estimate how many more strides before the jump and adjust to get the right spot.

Comment

We do it on a regular basis in lessons. It helps her know where we're at with "seeing" our striding. I find it really helpful going into a line or to a single because I am forced to think about it way ahead of the fence instead of just the last couple of strides.
      A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

love it

I do it in my head. I used to just do the traditional counting - as in a number per stride - but my current trainer counts a bit different and it helps SOOOO much. She counts the beats of the canter so each stride is "one-two-three" with the rhythm. As we approach I think "one-two-three", "one-two-three", "one-two-three", ONE, with the ONE being the take off point. Has yet to fail me. She’s a genius!

I find this method helps to be aware of the rhythm and the stride and gets us to settle into a comfortable pace and cadence throughout the course - and helps with consistency-as in you notice a lot more if your counting speeds up. Hope I explained it well enough, it’s a great trick to keep steady, and it settles show nerves.

Comment

Oh you bet I make my girls count! Especially when they are having "rough" days with spots. I do this early on with beginner students too, just through poles. I make them count strides to the pole (1,2,3) and then once the horse clears the pole (1,2,3) and so on. Then I increase the difficulty for the beginners once they are good at counting 1,2,3 to counting 5 strides out, then 3 strides out.

My advanced students do the same. I also make them count, then add a stride in, and take a stride out. It does help develop your eye. I find it amusing though when the other trainers call it out. I don't count things anymore, I just know. I know coming out of the corner if its a bad spot or not and adjust.

Jim Wofford has a great article in last months' PM about this topic, only he talks about it being a pace and rhythm issue.

Comment

All the time... even at shows (though under my breath then) As soon as I get straight to a jump you will hear "1...2...3...4...". Without counting, I can't find a spot if it hit me in the head... with counting I get the right one for my pace and stride just about every time.

Comment

My trainer had me do the most awesomely ridiculously difficult exercise involving counting. And you'd better believe it worked and helped my eye (and I have a pretty good natural eye)

She set up a pole on each diagonal, one more towards the far end of the arena, one towards the near side.

Start cantering, do a figure 8, each pole count "1" stride out. Next time "2" strides out.

I got up to 8 strides out before we quit. SO hard, and so awesome.

Comment

I always count, in my head at least. I probably mouth the words... heck, I count strides EVERYWHERE, when walking on my own two feet, while driving down the highway, etc. It's almost an OCD thing, I'm afraid...
                *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

which way do you count?

I agree, counting is a great exercise!

Just wondering - Do you count down or up? As in, do you say "1-2-3-4-5" or "5-4-3-2-1"?

I tend to think the latter one makes me want to rush because I want to say "BLAST OFF!" at the end!

Comment

Originally posted by CFiona View Post

I tend to think the latter one makes me want to rush because I want to say "BLAST OFF!" at the end!
                    This is the reason I do not count down

(In fact, I don't count normally at all, just 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 to follow the rhythm- allows the jump to just "happen")

Comment

i only count them loudly if my trainer asks me to. usually i always whisper them to myself / say them under my breath. or count in my head (which i do if i'm having a great round at a show and decide i need to put a big smile on my face when i'm jumping a line in front of the judge )
                      (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

All the time. Why not, if it helps you?
                        I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

My trainer has us count stides out loud if we are having trouble getting a good distance and it helps a lot. Usually, I just count in my head because I feel more confident when I can "see" the distance better. However, like cnvh, I count my steps and other things too.

Comment

Originally posted by CFiona View Post
                            I agree, counting is a great exercise!

Just wondering - Do you count down or up? As in, do you say "1-2-3-4-5" or "5-4-3-2-1"?

I always count up-- goal is that "3" is my take-off stride. A ways out from the fence, I count "1-2, 1-2, 1-2" until I see my 3.
                            *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

pirateer...we do the exercise SO often...trying seeing how high you can go...i made it to 23 once! i was WAY out of breath but it is so great for your eye! I try to do it a bit on every horse I ride (even if I just go up to like 4 or 5).
                              "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

I counted my strides out loud during a stadium round at a HT and the judge actually commented on " good counting " as it kept us in a very steady pattern the entire way through.

Comment

If it's one of those days when I'm totally lost, I sing out loud-talk about feeling silly! "Dixie" and "Row, Row, Row the Boat" are especially helpful.

Comment

I count strides. I do find that one a horse that rushes, though, it tends to make me want to speed up. One of the best tips I got (thanks Anyplace Farm!!) was to say "stay the same" while going around. Each word represents a stride. On my quick little horse, this did wonders both on course and then on days when he just seemed wild. Anything that makes you sit up and breathe will help you keep a steady pace.

As a side note, I used to count strides while in a car. When I was a kid (since I was the passenger) I would count strides and pretend to jump. Anything would represent a jump (a shadow, telephone pole, etc.) I am not sure how a vehicle has strides, haha, but I made it work. I am glad to say that I have outgrown this (or maybe I just don't have the chance now that I am the driver).
                                    -Natalie

proud member of the MOOP clique (although I am now positive that I have a pony in my 15.3hh bodied horse)

\"All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl.\"

Comment

omg... ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

I usually think i whisper it so no one hears it, but the other day... my trainer yelled at me because I thought it was windy so no one would hear me, but I said it so loud that you could actually hear it all the way back at the barn! lmao

I count strides even when im not riding. I count when i go over lines while driving, walking and even watching other riders go. It helps my eye be next to perfect!

Comment

Pirateer - I used to do a similar exercise when I was a kid, except it was a single jump back and forth at an angle on a figure eight pattern. If I got to 6 without missing I got a free lesson.

I count up to my jumps. With no specific number in mind. Counting down will tend to make a rider change their rhythm if they aren't going to be right.

Comment

Working...
                                        X