• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What's your biggest show turnout no-no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your biggest show turnout no-no?

Just poking the fire here... What types of turn-out faux pas have you seen at the shows? I once saw a girl at a (thankfully) schooling show who had those stupid "show bows" on her pony's braids... in RED!

Any other classics?
    undefined

Short boots...
    Dirty tack...
    Unclipped muzzle, jawline, ears and bridle paths...
    Nylon tack LOL!!!...

This list could get long and I may offend some...so I will shut up...

Comment

The show bow, with out a doubt.
      **Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.**

Comment

Definite no-nos for A shows in the US:
        show bows (blech)
        too short or ill-fitting boots on a rider
        poor braiding jobs
        fuzzy ears, muzzles, jawline
        dirty horse and/or tack
        the European or eventing-style jackets with 4 front buttons and buttons on the back vent
        sleeveless shirts!

I wouldn't be picky if I saw this stuff at schooling shows, though. I used to board near Frederick, MD and at our schooling shows, you'd see the gamut of wierd tack and clothing. Nothing wrong with that when you are first starting out, but by the time you get to the bigger shows, you should know what is/is not proper.

My friend showed her horse at Warrenton in a Wintec saddle with a string girth. She finally got a girth cover, though! Plus she almost ran over Mrs. Able-Smith in the schooling ring, but that is another story....

Comment

Boots that are too short and any show shirt that doesn't have long sleeves! Also, hate to see bad clipping/braiding jobs...

Comment

I admit I had to wear my trainers Vogels a month ago..ahhhhhhhhh they were too short!! I have custom boots that fit me like a glove and we were 2 hourse from home!!! I FORGOT MY BOOTS!! But I did the eq and was champion in adult eq...quess the judge didn't care..

Mine:
            Definately Show Bows
            Messy uneven braids
            a dirty grey horse with manure stains all over his butt!!
            Unpainted feet!!! I always like a nice clean hoof!!
            I had a grey and he ALWAYS got a bath the day before AND the morning of!!
            **BARB***

Comment

SHOW BOWS should most definitely be exiled, and those children that wear them must attend the VA clique clinic on how to arrange their hair into the proper "patties"!! hehe

Hmm other than that, uh ill throw another vote towards bad clip jobs, tails that look like they have been chopped of with pruning shears, and definitely Rubber boots eeek, such a faux pas!!
              [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
              - - - - - -
              \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

Comment

Not using a hairnet. If you can dress yourself, you can use a net.

Comment

Hair wisps flying from under the helmet!!!!

Stained gray horse or dirty white socks.

Leather out of the keepers!!!!

Twisted reins while riding!!!!

Show pad that doesn't fit.

Slouching in the line up!!(It's not over until you have exited the arena!)

Dirty, dusty boots.

Crusty sweat marks.

Not really a turn out issue, but related. People that sit all day, ringside, on their horses. As I just read somewhere, they are not a couch. Get off, give them a break.
                  \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Comment

I REALLY HATE THOSE LITTLE NETS WITH THE VELVET BOW U CAN BUT A BUN IN UNDERNEATH YOUR HELMET INSTEAD OF A HAIRNET!THOSE R HIDEOUS!

Comment

Biggest no-no is got to be panty lines....SO TACKY

Comment

Uh oh, we're back to pany lines again... Rye, see numerous thong-related threads.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Especially the ones that cost an arm and a leg, and /or are "custom made" (one year's tuition), and advertise as being approved when they are not. (Liars!)

When you see the "formal" 4 buttoned coats, the wearer is either European, an eventer or a real foxhunter. Sometimes they ride a lot better than the rest of us; sometimes not.
                          co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

This drives me insane! Please put your hair in a net and put ALL of it in your helmet!!! I just started doing some combined training this year, and while I love it, I seem to be the only one who has heard of a hair net around here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

What is the world are show bows? <You can tell I've spent too much times @ A shows> [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                              My pet peeves for turnout:
                              - Coats that don't fit
                              - Clothes that don't fit or are un-fashionable
                              - Unclipped horses/ponies
                              - Dirty socks/grays
                              - Short boots
                              - *blech* Weird tack (nylon, etc.)
                              I'm gonna stop cuz I tend to get *very* cynical and I'd like to have friends on the board. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                              *pOnY rOcK*
                              PS - Weatherford! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] There's nothing wrong with kids in unapproved.

Comment

My own personal pet peeve is no gloves! Please, please wear gloves!!!

Comment

Rubber riding boots at smaller shows. Some people need to learn that they are for mucking stalls etc.. not horse shows!!!

Comment

People who ride with the brim of their hunt cap up in the air, and it flops around their head.
                                    I hate a brim that isn't parallel to the ground.

I also HATE stock pins, they show up from time to time, and I hate an unmonogrammed choker.

Can't tolerate watching a hunter round with a rider without blackgloves on it detracts from the overall picture.

White socks not clipped to the pink (yes I am anal).

Orange bridles on chestnut horses. They can be a little darker you know?

Dirty bits, with grass on the side, horse entering ring with green bubbles coming out of it's mouth.

Dressage whips instead of jumping bats!

Agh, that's enough for now!
                                    Owner/Trainer of http://www.plumstedequestrianctr.com

Comment

Oh my biggest pet peeve!

What is up with 1/2 the amateurs and kids riding with their spurs upside down?

IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      Owner/Trainer of http://www.plumstedequestrianctr.com

Comment

Most of these things I understand, though I may not agree.

But what do you have against un-monogrammed chokers?
                                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Working...
                                        X