• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Could I show her - critique ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I show her - critique ?

I know I asked about this 13hh pony a year or so ago ... do you think she has any potential as a local hunter pony ? What do I need to do in order to show her ? Apologies for the dumb questions, it's just that I'm a bit foreign, and we don't have 'hunters' in England - we have hunting and working hunter as a show class, but not this style-jumping hunter thing, so although I've been and watched it a bunch of times, I'm afraid I still have no real clue what I'm looking at ! I've jumped her, but only ever to get over the jump, if you see what I mean.

Please forgive the rider - she's a 40+ yr old beginner (yes, it's me) ... but what about the pony ? Can you even tell anything from a photo ? I read that George Morris column in Practical Horseman and he seems to be able to see a whole lot in a photo (like, ferinstance, my lack of braids and my lower leg ) but you'd need to look at the balance of the horse, wouldn't you ? and its action ? and lead changes and all ?

Anyway, here she is, just jumping :

You can show any horse. You just can't win on any horse.

You could certainly show your pony--though from the looks of that picture, you might have more luck in the jumpers. I know that a picture can't accurately represent or describe a horses jumping ability overall, but it can serve as a good indicator. Your pony obviously can jump just fine, though it is not as square as seen in the winning hunters. This could be worked on over time with exercises such as grids and bounces, or just with more experience.

Do you have your heart set on the hunters? The A-circuit seems to look for a particular style of jump, and only that style whereas the jumpers are a little more relaxed insofar as the form of the horse essentially won't score you any lower (unless they drag their hind end, as an example, and knock down all the rails).

The local shows are not quite as competitive as the A circuit, though there are still nice ponies and horses out there. I'm sure you'd be fine, and I doubt you'd be laughed out of the ring or anything of that sort, it's just hard to tell how you would place.

Comment

Originally posted by HARROLDhasmyheart View Post

Do you have your heart set on the hunters?
      Yeah right. Try to drag her away from XC!
      Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by eponacowgirl View Post
        Yeah right. Try to drag her away from XC!
        Well, she asked about potential as a local hunter

Comment

Without knowing how competitive your local show circuit is I can not say how competitive you might be... but, your pony is cute, she has a pretty face and and is good with her knees. I imagine if you let go of her face she might use her head and neck a whole lot better than she is doing in this picture. For the ideal hunter picture she needs to stretch down and forward with her neck and round her back a little more.

For the local hunters (in most places) if she can keep a rhythm, and meet all 8 fences at something close to a good spot she ought to do o.k. For you, switch the breeches to tan or khaki, get some black gloves and a rat catcher instead of the stock tie and you're good too. (pony would go in a fitted fuzzy saddle pad instead of the square pad)

Comment

• Original Poster

ok, what does this mean ...
            though it is not as square as seen in the winning hunters.
            Like I say - it's a beginner rider. It's not that I have my heart set on anything, I just wonder how she would do, and where do I go from here. I guess you need a trainer to go with you even at a local show ?

Comment

Cute pony!

You might want to look at your local show rules, usually pony hunters are to be shown by jr. riders.

Comment

The "not quite square" refers to the fact that her front feet and maybe her knees too) are not quite even/symetrical. Ideally, they would also like her hooves closer to her elbows (tighter fold).

Having seen the pony go, I'd also say that she would need at a considerably slower pace (than that show jumping course) for the hunters.

I assume you already know that you would have to find a junior to rider her. At USEF shows, and at most unrecognized shows, only juniors can ride in pony hunter classes.

Of course, (at both recognized and unrecognized shows) there are hunter classes at "pony heights" with no restrictions on the horse's height or the rider's age. But then you would be competing against horses, and the course would be set at "horse" distances. She can handle the horse distances when going at a "show jumping" pace, ( I think she put 2 strides in the 2 stride in and out) but the question would be whether she could make the horse distances going at a "show hunter" pace.

Yes, definitely work with a hunter trainer so you know what they are looking for. So much of show hunters is based on unwritten rules that "everbody" knows. But if you haven't done it, you don't know the unwritten rules.

I say go for it.
                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Are you contemplating a move stateside or staying "over there"?

Not all of them can do it and, unless you want to putt putt around a smaller sand ring and look pretty, she looks like a nice type to go ride and enjoy.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I'm in agreement with fourmares. It really depends on what your local circuit is like. Go watch a show and see what your competition looks like. And just because you ride a pony, doesn't mean that you HAVE to compete in pony hunters. You could compete in any division that fits your horse is pony hunters are for juniors only.

Also some circuits offer pony jumpers and that might be more fun for you as well. I am planning on doing some rotations with my showteam between hunters and jumpers. Jumpers really levels the playing field because its only about you, your pony, faults and time.

If you just want to go bang around a course and have a good time, then go for it. If your heart is set on winning some ribbons then put in some time watching shows and get a nice hunter trainer. Your pony seems cute and willing.

My vote is to go and have fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                      Are you contemplating a move stateside or staying "over there"?

Not all of them can do it and, unless you want to putt putt around a smaller sand ring and look pretty, she looks like a nice type to go ride and enjoy.
                      She is already "stateside". Picture was taken at a Horse Trial in Tennessee. Not sure how she placed, but "Pony" was a star.
                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Pony is cute... like the coloring.

If you're a beginner... and pony is a good teacher, than maybe you'd want to start in the equitation classes. That will give you a feel for what it will be like to ride in a hunter division, however the focus will be on your riding style and ability to control your mount.

I think you could make up a nice team in a beginner/maiden equitation up through pre-adult/modified adult equitation. You can also cross enter in beginner hunters (if u do beginner eq) or modified adult hunters.

As you get the higher eq and hunter divisions... it will become more challenging to ride a pony and place... as many judges will want you to do the horse strides... but in the lower levels, it is completely warranted and acceptable.

The day they add an Adult Amateur- Pony Division... is the day I do a little dance!

Comment

Originally posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post

The day they add an Adult Amateur- Pony Division... is the day I do a little dance!

You and me both.

Comment

Your pony is very cute and looks athletic.

In that picture, she isn't really jumping in top 'hunter' style. A top ribbon-winning hunter would bring her knees up a little higher (the forearm should be at least parallel to the ground or, preferably, higher), and would stretch her head forward and down a little more so as to give a rounder jump.

I think that if you could practice riding her a bit more like a hunter that she would do just fine at local shows. Especially if she can canter around a course on an even rhythm and swap her leads cleanly when desired.

Now for classes. Pony classes are only for junior riders. So, for you to show her, you will have to go in open classes. The strides will be set for horses, but at a lot of local shows they will let a pony add a step and still pin. If you are an amateur, you can also show in any adult amateur classes.

She looks like a really nice pony who is lots of fun to ride. Good luck with her!
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Comment

Originally posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
                              Originally posted by Dune View Post
                              You and me both.
                              actually it is legal for an adult to show a pony in the adult amateur hunters

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/15-HU.pdf

"HU108 1c Ponies may be ridden by adults"

i have actually seen it done... not often but at a few big east coast shows i have seen then but it all is up to the judge on how they place... (sorry i am procrastinating studying so had to step in!)

your pony is very cute! on a local circuit i am sure she could be very competitive in the 2'6'' levels and possibly higher if you want to do the hunters think about releasing a little more almost looping the reins i think she will jump much better that way

Comment

Originally posted by zahena View Post
                                I'm in agreement with fourmares. It really depends on what your local circuit is like. Go watch a show and see what your competition looks like. And just because you ride a pony, doesn't mean that you HAVE to compete in pony hunters. You could compete in any division that fits your horse is pony hunters are for juniors only.

Also some circuits offer pony jumpers and that might be more fun for you as well. I am planning on doing some rotations with my showteam between hunters and jumpers. Jumpers really levels the playing field because its only about you, your pony, faults and time.

If you just want to go bang around a course and have a good time, then go for it. If your heart is set on winning some ribbons then put in some time watching shows and get a nice hunter trainer. Your pony seems cute and willing.

My vote is to go and have fun!!
                                As the rider is over 18, she may not compete in Pony Jumpers, but she can compete her pony IN the jumpers

Comment

Originally posted by Limone View Post
                                  actually it is legal for an adult to show a pony in the adult amateur hunters

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/15-HU.pdf

"HU108 1c Ponies may be ridden by adults"
                                  We know that, we were just hoping for another division. OP, btw, love the pony. I'm loathe to suggest that you start riding her "like a hunter" as it looks like you're doing just fine right now.

Comment

On my local circuit the pony hunters are divided by height - 2' or 2'6 - and are open to juniors and adults. So you might actually want to check with yours... You might be able to show against other ponies if you'd like!
                                    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, thanks guys Yes, I am English, but I live on this side of the pond ... Pic was taken in TN at an event. Janet's right on the mark as usual - the big thing to work on would have to be slowing her down to a steady rhythm, and me not getting grabby at her face. We've made a lot of progress on that on the flat since RG, but I think we've a way to go over fences. We're a little gallollopy atm.

I am looking for a junior rider for her. The reason I'm interested in this whole thing is that for the summer, our local shows in Tennessee are all 'hunter' shows. Every now and then one of them will run a jumper class as an add on, sometime at the end of a long day, but you can never guarantee there will be anyone in it Apart from that - no variety at all - no local jumping, no handy pony, no gymkhana games, no gambler's or pick-a-fence, none of the fun stuff at all, just da-dum-da-dum-da-dum huntering

So ... in order to secure her future, I need to think about getting her to do this stuff - with a child rider. (You can tell, my heart's not really in it, can't you - not that I have anything against the real skill of getting that jumping round absolutely perfect - I think that's a fantastic thing - it's all the other stuff, the clothes, judging the horse's movement, never being able to get to the ingate, waiting five hours with nobody able to tell you when / if a class will run etc that I can't be bothered with).

Comment

You will have to check out the level of competition at your local shows. At a lot, getting around without any major mishaps is a good start. Also, check your local association's rules regarding ponies and adults - in many it is fine. Others, not so much, but there would likely be other divisions.

OP - is she a "real" pony? Or just a very small horse?
                                        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Working...
                                        X