• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Riding in a Jill Henselwood Clinic - Update :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in a Jill Henselwood Clinic - Update :)

Have any of you ever ridden with her? I'd welcome some tips, warnings, or advice.
    Last edited by chukkerchild; Apr. 26, 2009, 11:14 PM.
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

I rode in one with her a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it, she's really enthusiastic and seemed to really like teaching. From what I remember, we did a lot of flat work...oh and the answer to everything is tracking up. She was big on having the horses work from behind and she would ask people if there horse had impulsion or if they were tracking up. She even had some people who couldn't feel it stare at there horses back legs while they were riding around.

Comment

I don't know if this helps...I watched her give a lesson at Spruce several years back...her teaching style reminded me a lot of Debbie McDonald...intense and focused, but very positive reinforcement for the rider and she knew when to quit. I was impressed.
      Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Just to warn you, Jill is known as a 'yeller' she can be harsh, but she's too the point. She's very much 'it's my way or the highway' kind of mentality so if you have thin skin just be prepared (i've seen her make a few people cry!). Make sure you listen carefully and try your hardest and don't take anything TOO personally Also, besides a lot of flat work you will probably hear just as much talking as actually riding...

She's very good though... I rode with her assistant trainer for about a year recently... can definately get the best out of both horse and rider and with her recent successes can teach us all a lot
        http://community.webshots.com/user/cdnjumper

Comment

I audited one of her clinics several years ago. She's very focused, but lots of positive feedback. She's very nice and down to earth. I learned a lot. Have fun, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!
          CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
          Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to put on my thick skin just in case
            "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
            Working Student Blog
            Current Blog

Comment

I seem to run into you all over the internet.. It's Kristina

She wasn't too bad at the last clinic, I have heard that she seems to have mellowed a little bit in recent years? Either way I don't think anyone was yelled at last time! Be prepared though that she told almost everyone with goals to do young riders or anything similar that they would need a new horse. So be prepared! Thank GOD she didn't tell me that

I'm sure it will be a blast!
              Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
              Like us on Facebook!

Comment

audited...

I audited a clinic a few months back and was very impressed. If you didn't understand an analogy she would take the time to go over it with you. She had a rider with her to get on horses that she thought needed a tuning and she herself helped break through barriers with resisting horses so they were better when their rider got back on. Amazing what she can do to a horse in 20 minutes!

She brought reading material for all of the riders - read it! She quizzed everyone and there were a few purple faces when people couldn't answer her questions. She expects you to work hard as any good clinician does and likes to challenge riders. She was not in any way mean but she did let some riders know that they were ready to move up to more horse power or were headed down the wrong path with a horse, etc.

Have fun! I can't wait to participate myself sometime, I really enjoyed auditing, even though it was -25 Celsius outside here in Ontario and I froze for two days!

Comment

You have a PM!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by klmck63 View Post
                    I seem to run into you all over the internet.. It's Kristina

She wasn't too bad at the last clinic, I have heard that she seems to have mellowed a little bit in recent years? Either way I don't think anyone was yelled at last time! Be prepared though that she told almost everyone with goals to do young riders or anything similar that they would need a new horse. So be prepared! Thank GOD she didn't tell me that

I'm sure it will be a blast!
                    I did notice she said that, I imagine that the girl who just bought that gorg jumper mare must have been like "What?!" It would be the worst to get a new horse and then be told you need more horsepower. But at the same time I guess you just have to take it as a compliment to your riding... I'm not sure if I would enjoy being told, "Ah, yes, stick with this steady old boy forever, you'll have lots of fun on the trails with him perhaps popping over some small logs!"

Anyways, I'm really excited and trying not to think of it as being really stressful, I've only done polo clinics before this and I've never jumped in front of an audience before... the local show circuit doesn't usually result in a packed house... except when I fall off, it seems.
                    Working Student Blog
                    Current Blog

Comment

Originally posted by chukkerchild View Post
                      the local show circuit doesn't usually result in a packed house... except when I fall off, it seems.
                      Agreed! Everyone seemed to be watching last summer when I fell of and got road rash on my face... Surprisingly even though I was pretty nervous about having EVERYONE (haha) watch me ride I pretty much forgot about it before she even had us trotting. And yah, I felt really bad for her but I guess in reality it is a compliment, even if it is a little back handed. And I just about jumped off and hugged her when she said she liked my horse. My mum was so nervous she'd tell me to get a new horse! I would have cried for sure...

ETA: I heard that at the clinic in BC there were nearly 200 auditors! So it's not that bad
                      Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                      Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Riderbreeder,

What did she make you read? Curious about that.

- C

Comment

She had a hand-out on the basics of flatwork, things every well-educated rider should know already, but definately worth reading. She also brought many book/videos people could take to read during the clinic or take home that night to bring back. Very well done, in my opinion.

Comment

I rode with Jill as a junior and learned a ton. My advice is to pay attention. If she asks you to do something, do it the first time or die trying (just kidding -- sort of). She has mellowed out, but still requires a good work ethic. This is not too much to ask, but a warning to the mentally squishy sort who thinks "hmm, I don't think that'll work well for my horse so I'll just sort of give it a halfway attempt and call it a day" -- this is not the right clinic for you. She demands that the horse be moving off the leg and accepting the hand. Your horse should be prepared for this. She has a vast wealth of experience and knowledge, is (obviously) an exceptional rider with wonderful feel, and of late has been more forthcoming with praise and encouragement. A good fit for a hard-working jumper/equitation rider who wants a supercharged training weekend.

Oh, and for this and most clinics, I would recommend wearing a small spur and carrying a stick. They're always easier to remove than to go digging for should the need arise.

Comment

She had printed material which outlined the GASP!! classical training scale, (you know rhythm, suppleness, contact etc )but instead of the pyramid, was outlined as intersecting circles.

Photograph of classically correct position, shoulder to hip to heel. Straight line from elbow to hand to bit. She returned time and time again to the correct basics and classic position.

Word of advice chukkerchild...if you get a hand out...read it and be prepared to be asked what was in it. Read a bit about the classic training scale.

She wants you read the classics of horsemanship.

I was very impressed with the clinic I audited. Very to the point but very positive and motivating. I can see why her students do very well. That woman could motivate a corpse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey, I wanted to give an update-- she was super tough but it was really good. I learned a lot and I think I pushed myself a fair bit, I definitely got some chiding and she 'cracked the whip' a bit (literally) after my horse stopped a couple of times, but all in all I think that I got a good reality check and I definitely have a LOT of motivation to improve before the next clinic It ended up being quite the challenge for us as a pair, the fences were a bit larger than I expected (but on the plus side, my horse jumped the highest he ever has ) and I had a few spooks and a few major rider errors but my horse was so much more consistently on the contact by the end... it was amazing. All my bad habits were spotted instantly, though I've become so adept at hiding them! (I thought)

She DID NOT like it on the first day when I halted in a line. Haha, will never do that again!! She definitely does not like it when people circle before a fence or don't GO when she says so, either

Oh, and I must add that klmck rode wonderfully in her group and her horse was a total champ and they garnered plenty of well-deserved praise!
                                Working Student Blog
                                Current Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X