• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Making the Distance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the Distance

I have trouble with seeing the proper distance and getting it. My horse and I get in deep sometimes to the jumps, and it is really bugging me. What are some ways to improve my eye and help get better distances the majority of the time, I want to make the lines as smooth as possible.
    Confessions of a Cool Kid! <--- check out my blog (:
    My Youtube

For me its all about pace, if my pace is off so are my distances, but if i have a good foward pace i can make little adustments when needed to get the distances. try working on your pace and dont focus too much on getting the percect distance everytime because you wont

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by eqrider1234 View Post
      For me its all about pace, if my pace is off so are my distances, but if i have a good foward pace i can make little adustments when needed to get the distances. try working on your pace and dont focus too much on getting the percect distance everytime because you wont
      Thanks! That is one thing my horse and I have to work on, she likes to be lazy
      My Youtube

Comment

Same with mine! work on a one two one two rythem and moving up out of the corners put on a pair of spurs to and make her go! when you say so, thats a big thing for my horse as we used to add every course the first line in a show.. not fun. And if you have spurs at least mine is sensative and will move UP when i ask instead of

ughhhh maahhh do i have to? are you sure.. ughhhh i guess so.. oh wait to lait suckkkk back and CHIP..

now its.. ahhhh spur better move up, perfect spot. just. about. every. time.

Comment

Like eqrider1234 said, it's pace, or rhythm. Keep your rhythm and you can find your distances. There are 3 spots to a fence: long, right, and deep. Each spot is fine as long as you support your horse where he takes off. At a long spot you want to go with your horse, at a right spot, stay, and at a deep, back yourself off a little and let him jump up and over. Staying on the da da dum rhythm is key. You can practice seeing your distances over poles and then move up to cross rails and eventually larger fences. Practice jumps on a circle (this is the easiest way for me to find my distances), jumps on the diagnol, jumps on an angle, ramped oxers, triple bars, etc.

This is a great video by the legend:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9ixs9IIW4
          www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

For an easy distance fix, fix the rest of your ride. Keep a steady, forward but collected pace, get the right turn and get a steady approach. Make sure your eq isn't telling him to add against your wishes.

To work on your eye specifically, canter poles on the ground and treat them just like jumps. Set up a series of poles and practice leaving strides out and adding them in.
            "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

Now why did you have to go and steal my horse? No seriously, my horse and I struggle with this very issue. Mine's a bit of confidence because sometimes if we get in too deep he'll stop (which is of course because I let him slow down lol). My instructor had us concentrate more on keeping our canter the same, nice, forward canter and less about actually finding the spot. I also have the habit of pulling back if I don't see the spot so he told me that my only option if I thought I needed to make an adjustment was leg. We worked on this over like 2'-2'3" fences so it was fine if we did get a nasty spot but it was to work on not pulling back all the time.

Anyways, I find it really helpful to work on poles and crossrails, etc... It's also nice to do gymnastics because they can really help with getting the correct distance.
              No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
              For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
              www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

PACE!! definetly. gymnastics can also help.
                also, i constantly work with poles, and just work on finding the perfect distance each time, hopefully, your horse will evenutally learn to find it himself after you drilling him on them!
                when i work with poles, i tend to get a gallop like canter and go to the pole, but find a good distance, then get a slow pace, find a distance, perfect pace, find disance, repeat. this may help your horse in the case of moving up or down for a distance (just a suggestion)!

Comment

My trainer makes us do a lot of work with ground poles. You can canter over a pole on the ground a lot more than an actual jump, so you can practice more without your horse getting tired.

For me, I've kind of memorized the feeling of when my pony takes a short distance. I can feel it coming on and just know when to ask for the bigger spot. It's hard to explain without sounding crazy. I can't see my spots, but I can feel them if that makes any sense. I think it has to do with lots of practice, and knowing your horse's stride really well.
                  https://catchacanter.wordpress.com

Comment

Pace is the most important thing. You need to keep the same step all the way out of the corner and to the jump. Your horse needs to be balanced and forward... it sounds so simple. The best way to do this is sing. Row Row Row Your Boat is good.

Another thing that works for some people is to count. Don't really worry about getting there in a certain number of strides, just start counting when you come on line (I try to start 6 or less strides out because numbers with two sylables - like seven - throw me off, but it don't worry about the number). Start with a small jump or a pole on the ground, count your strides as you come out of the corner. It will help you start to know where you are.

Some people like to count backwards from a certain number, but that can cause problems when they realize that they are wrong. Many people will subconsiously start adjusting the horses stride to end on 1 (or 0) even though the stride was right on and screw up the distance.

Comment

Not just pace alone though - make sure you set up your corner nicely, come through balanced, and maintain your rhythm to the fence. Look past the fence, support with your leg and hand, and let the fence come to you.

Now, if only I could keep that mantra flowing in my head all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by dghunter View Post
                        Now why did you have to go and steal my horse? No seriously, my horse and I struggle with this very issue. Mine's a bit of confidence because sometimes if we get in too deep he'll stop (which is of course because I let him slow down lol). My instructor had us concentrate more on keeping our canter the same, nice, forward canter and less about actually finding the spot. I also have the habit of pulling back if I don't see the spot so he told me that my only option if I thought I needed to make an adjustment was leg. We worked on this over like 2'-2'3" fences so it was fine if we did get a nasty spot but it was to work on not pulling back all the time.

Anyways, I find it really helpful to work on poles and crossrails, etc... It's also nice to do gymnastics because they can really help with getting the correct distance.
                        I did have a bit of a habit of interfering with the horse with my hands when I didn't see a distance. My coach had me make the turn to the jump and then put one hand behind my back. This way I couldn't pull and ruin a distance and I had to ride more off my leg. When I went back to riding with 2 reins I was much more balanced and willing to move up to a longer spot.

Comment

Alot of times, when you miss, you can look back at your hoofprints on the take off side and see they are not straight. Even if you had it off the turn, you can see your track bending to one side or another and well off center by the time you get to the fence. Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, not staying on it changes what would be a good spot to a half stride.

Working on a decent pace, not too slow, and getting straight off the corner and stying straight solves most of these issues. Eyes up and on the center of that fence helps as well.

Some flatwork on the lateral aids will help the straightness and ground poles will be your best friends.

Leading clinician claims you find your distance and set it IN THE CORNER. Your only job after that is stay on that line and pace. He has proven himself right.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by kaazs View Post
                            I have trouble with seeing the proper distance and getting it. My horse and I get in deep sometimes to the jumps, and it is really bugging me. What are some ways to improve my eye and help get better distances the majority of the time, I want to make the lines as smooth as possible.

Why should you be any different than the rest of us??
                            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Yes! Rhythm, pace and approach are all very important. Also remember to keep your hands forward & following the horse's motion. When we have trouble, our trainer often makes us close our eyes on the approach to a single fence & we learn to feel and trust the horse to figure it out for himself. It can be challenging, but it usually works .

Comment

Your horse sees a distance far before you do -- put him a good rhythm and balance and just ride the canter and stay out of his way. Stop trying to make so many adjustments and you'll see a better ride.
                                Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                We Are Flying Solo

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys for all your good advice
                                  My Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by kaazs View Post
                                    Thanks guys for all your good advice
                                    As has been said many times before, PACE, PACE, PACE. Harrold was quite the champion at going slowly and not always wanting to move off my leg, which wasn't necessarily a huge problem (more of an annoyance) when the jumps were small, and quite a problem when they got a bit bigger. We would come into a corner with a good pace, for example, and then come out of it a bit slower and with less impulsion. 3 strides out from the fence, it would turn into kick, pull, wait, oh no, oh crap let's just jump anyways. Needless to say, we had quite the chipping and refusing faze. What Harrold was trying to tell me is that if I rode him like crap and didn't keep my leg on, a feel on his mouth, and convince him that going forward to the jumps really was in his best interest, he wasn't going to help me out. It certainly taught me to ride better!

Also, if you have a good pace then the distance isn't always paramount--especially when you're learning. If the fences are small, and you keep your leg on and your eye up, things will essentially take care of themselves. This is not to say that you shouldn't attempt to find your distance, just that if you don't see it, make sure you are working on the other things as well.

As for seeing your distance better, have you tried the pole game? Canter up to a pole and count the strides...starting with 1-pole, then 2-1-pole, then 3-2-1-pole, etc. See how high you can get! This really helps develop your eye. When I jump, I always try to do 3-2-1-jump which helps me a lot, because the more consistent my ride is, the easier I can see my spot from 3 strides out.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree with what everyone else said, but the 1-2-1-2-1-2 thing doesn't work for me. I don't know why, but I tend to get bad distances.

One of my previous trainers told me to count backwards from 10 with each stride. Start counting when you come out of the turn or about 4-6 strides out. So it becomes 10-9-8-7-6-JUMP! When I do that I tend to get my distances. If I don't, there's no chance in hell.

By the way, I'm an intermediate rider who jumps under 2'6" so I'm not an expert, but it works for me.
                                      Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

This is going to sound really stupid, but I've also found it quite helpful to "count my strides" when I'm not riding. Huh? I mean like when I'm walking, I count steps between the cracks or other "obstacles"; when I'm driving, I count strides/feel a rhythm between utility poles, street signs, shadows, whatever.

It gets me thinking about rhythm, pace, and (when I'm walking, not driving,) stride length.

I know this sounds bizarre, but it does seem to have helped!

Comment

Working...
                                        X