• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jumper Trainers in the Dallas, TX Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumper Trainers in the Dallas, TX Area

I am moving to Dallas mid may and wanted to hook up with a BNT that does the jumpers. I would like to show at the A level but since i will doing an internship for the summer I wont be able to travel out of state alot.

So basically what I am looking for is a great trainer who will take on people who time wise arent able to show 24/7 but still want to compete at a higher than the local level.

I have searched the forum and I have only found old threads about this so I wanted to find out who is still in the area and if anyone had any recommendations.

the only person I have been directed towards is celine burch.
    does anyone know if Mike and Tracy take on students, i havent seen them at HITS with any besides their rides.

I am moving from VA and I am NOT bringing my own horse so I would need to find a facility that has either "showable" lesson horses or lease to show options.

Thanks a TON for any help

Mike takes on students. Matt Cyphert and the Hensens also very good. I'm not really sure if any of them would have lease horses or lesson horses readily available. Mike generally has a lot of horses just hanging around the barn but he usually spends from early June until the end of July out of state showing so I'm not sure if that would really work for you.

Comment

You won't find any A shows in Texas during July and August.
      Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

I would check with Summer Hill (Jordan Siegel/Laura Hightower) and another would be Flower Mound Equestrian Center... it's under new management - my friend's parents own it and they have a few nice horses.

Also, if you are interested in riding babies/greenies/ponies/a bit of everything, you might try to get in contact with Anne Hedge. She has a small farm in Aubrey - I used to ride with her for a while when I was in HS and I got to sit on a lot of different types of horses, which really helped me with my own horse. She posts on her, although I think more in sporthorse breeding section.... www.whitehedgefarm.com

......I also know a lady in Argyle (verrrrry close to Fox Glen - same neighborhood) that has two 16.1h+ paint horses that she wants to get started jumping/showing. I started jumping the one last summer, but I think he's been doing flat work since I went back to school and I won't be home over the summer, so I bet she still needs a rider.

Comment

I second Laura and Jordan at Summerhill, I've been with them for over a year and it has been a great experience. They let you ride alot of different horses, and go to both in-state and out-of-state shows. PM me if you want more info

Comment

I recently moved to Texas, and didn't realize till I got here how HUGE the state is.
            If you are working you may want to look for a barn that attends shows locally (not Local shows...) since some shows in-state can be 8-10 hours away, whereas an A show in OK is less than 4 hours away.
            That was never something I thought of coming from up north where all in-state shows are 2 hours max! And 3 states away is still only 4 hours! Haha

Not much in texas is 'centrally located'. The shows you will find that are in daily driving distance are Las Colinas and Tyler, Waco if you really like to drive...

Comment

Beware of the Dallas H/J scene. I just had my best friend move down there from the east coast and they are 20 years behind us. I thought she was being a "prima donna" and flew down there to check out some barns and trainers-WOW-I was so glad to get back home.
              Matt Syfert, Julie Cleveland, Tracey Finney-checked them all out.
              Minimal turn out-horse goes out for 2 hours a day on dirt, coastal hay, level 6 jumpers is really level 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.

Comment

Originally posted by ushjchick View Post
                Beware of the Dallas H/J scene. I just had my best friend move down there from the east coast and they are 20 years behind us. I thought she was being a "prima donna" and flew down there to check out some barns and trainers-WOW-I was so glad to get back home.
                Minimal turn out-horse goes out for 2 hours a day on dirt, coastal hay, level 6 jumpers is really level 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.
                can't say I disagree
                talked to one trainer who didn't know that there were horse who didn't 'drift' when jumping... didn't believe there was such a thing- I told her I owned one, she didn't believe me
                I left.

Comment

Well - I moved down here from the AA scene on the east coast 2 years ago. I am with Jim and Joan at Foxglen and nothing could be FARTHER from their scene. We do enormous maintenance (feet, magnetic, chiro, magna, alpha stim, etc) and upkeep is meticulous. My horses have never been in better shape in their lives or happier. Horses out all the time.....plenty of change of scenery......we do Devon, Cap Challenge, indoors, etc. Now - I have watched a lot of the other trainers and yes - there are some serious holes....but there are also several people here who are more than moving in the same levels as the BNT's back east that I know. Like anywhere - there are trainers here showing on the highest levels, some doing the mid level shows, and others on the "C" team. Depends on what your needs are, what you want and who you know. Tell you friend to keep looking - there are many choices. Also - we are having a Jeff Cook clinic at Foxglen in May....which your friend might be interested in. Most "AA" level barns don't have lesson horses - most big show barns are gone for the whole summer here....she might be able to find a lease thing tho....
                  http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557433725gtOAuC

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the info!! I'm so sad to hear that the system is dated Does anyone know Matt Cypherts contact info? pm if you need to. I looked on USHJA and it wasn't listed. Is peter pletcher still in texas?

Also, i would be looking for a facility that does have show lease horses--I am sick of riding greenies thats why im leaving them in VA.

- i lived in texas for 16 years and never thought twice about the "close" 8hr drives to horse shows haha! I am spoiled now-- i am so sick of the "long" two hr drive to upperville.

Comment

mmnagf i sent you an im

Comment

There's one in every crowd

..... 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.
                        Listen Missy ushjchick..... I "grew up" grooming and braiding for Mike long before Tracy was his love interest and groomed for Peter Pletcher and managed his barn on the road. We did great things to keep our horses happy and healthy (not so many soundness tools back then). Now, I show in Cali, I am a rep for Game Ready and an Equine Body Worker and I can name TOP trainers--or perceived to be "top" who "don't believe in body work" and can't see why they'd want to spend money on Game Ready purchase or individual treatments I offer at shows.

There are just as many backwards horsemen/women in California or East Coast, or anywhere as there is in Texas, and many great trainers too.

Jim and Joan do a great job. Karla Hurdle is training out there. She was an AHSA Jr. Jumper Champion. There are good people who care. Just gotta look and interview 'em!
                        My treasures do not chink, nor glitter. They carry me to great heights, they gleam in the sun, and they neigh in the night. That is my life, at the end of the day.

Comment

Don't have enough experience with trainers back in the northeast (where I am originally from) but I've been in Texas for 11 years now and want to add a comment regarding "behind the times".

When I had horses in regular competition we were with a German trainer who was very set in "the German way". There was alot of contact with visiting German riders, breeders, trainers at that barn and almost all believed in using a minimum of extra treatments and therapies.

This is not to say that they let a horse be ill or hurting and they did give needed supplements such as electrolytes and Red Cell (I think that was it) for the horses in regular competition. Horses were given 6 - 8 hours of turnout in nicely grassed paddocks or were put on the "German" exercise machine (hot walker with horse loose in an enclosed space and computerized program of speeds and direction).

Sore horses were given a rest from competition, no horse did more than 2 classes a day at shows etc.

All the horses were extremely healthy and fit. Trainer allowed owners to add other therapies at their discretion (acupuncture, massage, extra supps etc) but his opinion was that it wasn't necessary with good horse management and he had no problem telling owners that he thought they were wasting their money.

Comment

Oh - and is Russell Frey still in Dallas? I thought I heard recently he had moved. (I'm out of the show loop).

Comment

Originally posted by ProzacPuppy View Post
                              Oh - and is Russell Frey still in Dallas? I thought I heard recently he had moved. (I'm out of the show loop).
                              Went to Houston I believe. Someone might want to confirm that.....I am also very out of the loop.

Comment

Backward Texan transplanted from California! *waves*

Uh, backwards? Sorry, a little offended here. Yes, we are backwards. Our facilites are all crap, our hay is hideous, our management sucks. Please. Give me a break. I work at a tiny facility in the middle of the city and our horses turn out in the very arenas we ride in for at least 6 hours a day. They may not have pasture turnout but our care is just as good as any barn. Our barn manager is the best around and if my horse so much as gets a scrape or drops more than a few pounds she's on the phone.

I've heard amazing things about Foxglen and am considering heading out there for lessons as well. There is another barn, smaller, but also nice called Hogany Top Farms and I've heard great things about Jo as well.

Comment

Yep, Russel moved to Houston, but is probably never there either.... on the road, ya know!
                                  That's also where you'll find Peter Pletcher.
                                  As others have said, Jim and Joan at Foxglen are top notch. But we're talking TOP notch, and I believe you must attend a certain number of shows to be one of their clients. Since you're going to be busy, you might not make the quota..... but you might, too!
                                  Julie Cleveland would be another good option for a Jumper rider who can't travel everywhere.
                                  Mike and Tracy, of course.
                                  Matt, too.
                                  Stacey Goodson at BayYard farm.... hasn't been mentioned yet.
                                  Belynda Bond waaaaayyyy out in Pilot Point.
                                  For what you're wanting, I wouldn't bother with Flower Mound Equestrian.
                                  Laura and Jordan would not be my personal choice......
                                  The Kallenberger's at The Paddocks might be another option for more "local" A shows.
                                  Celine Burch is a very nice person, the facility is HUGE and very very COVERED... turn out is poor, and Celine really hasn't been doing this very long. I'm sure you'd like her, but it sounds like you're looking for somebody with years and years of experience behind them.
                                  Erin Davis Walsh at October Hill Farm might be another option for you. She only has a very few clients, but she is a Grand Prix rider in her own right.
                                  There are other, more local-oriented folks who are quite adept as well, but I think I've run the gamut on the quality of folks it sounds like you're looking for.
                                  Good Luck!
                                  KD

Comment

There's a show series in Tyler in May that would be a good opportunity to go watch, listen and talk to many of the area trainers.
                                    Probably the best way to find a trainer/barn that suits you is to go watch them in action. Talk to people who actually train with them and watch some of their students. If you've been riding for very long at all, I'm sure you are aware that opinions vary WIDELY on barns/trainers.
                                    And, if you're looking for an "in barn" lease - of course that will be a deciding factor as well.

Tyler is only a couple of hours away - so easy to drive down there and back in a day. The THJA website has dates, etc. or you can PM me and I'll give you more information.

Not sure if ALL the trainers who have been mentioned will be there - but it's usually one of the better attended "local" A shows.

Oh, and ushjchik - certainly you are entitled to your opinion re: Texas HJ scene. However I haven't found that to be the case at all. My horse has great turnout, is managed superbly and there are a variety of therapies available for use on him if needed - including a magnetic system and Game Ready. As anywhere else, there are incompetent trainers/Barn managers around - but some really good ones also.

Comment

Mike and Tracy

I have been trying to contact Four M but the number I have just rings and rings....430-0301 ..anyone know if this is the best #?

Comment

To USJCHICK. I know for a fact the east coast is behind on therapies for horses. In Weatherford, Tx (very close to Dallas) they have a hyperbaric chamber which has fantastic results and in comparison makes your therapies seem from the 70's let alone the 80's. I know the upper end race horses have had HUGE success with it and we personally have seen unbelievable MIRACLES. We also have swimming pools, aqua tread, pulsed signal therapy...etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X