• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

funny things your horses do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny things your horses do

Thought I would ask what other peoples horses do that is funny

my 2 lick ny hand and arm and the other 1 will pick up water bottles off the ground and hold it there
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"

Mine likes to lick me and my clothes. He also loves vitamin water (preferrably the yellow one) and gatorade (preferrably the purple one)! He also follows you around everywhere. He's pretty much a really big dog

Comment

Aww Cute!!!

When im in our ring, if there is a can or anything on the ground... he will literally kick it around the entire ring just because its fun. lol And he'll follow me around the barn without a lead on... i dont have to worry because he wont leave my side : )

He also LOVES to eat my hair , but the second I make a noise he'll stop and make sure im ok. He's amazing

OHHH and i FORGOT!!! Whenever we go on trails I make him stop at the stop signs... he looks both ways and then goes! I've been told the reason we get along so well is because were both a little crazy. lol

Comment

My pony loves to lick me. On the hand, head, face, hair, shoulders, back, anywhere. He also loves to lick walls, stall doors, blanket bars, anything? He has a salt lick, so I don't understand this obsession. He also plays with blankets, um I guess the correct word would 'rip'. He's a strange pony, with many quirks.
        https://catchacanter.wordpress.com

Comment

My jumper eats everything! And when he's done, he sticks out his tongue and sucks on it He follows me everywhere sans lead and nickers when I call him!

My new horse, I just found out, likes to sniff hair and put his nose on top of your ear, it hilarious!! Oh and he loves supplements, even without food, its strange!!!!

Comment

When my TB is a little fresh, he does the Spanish walk. I never taught him this, nor did anyone else. He's like an Andalusian in a TB's body! Better than bucking me off!
            "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
            -H.M.E.

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1044030002

Harrold was also TERRIFIED of the light-up (wire) reindeer that sat on the lawn outside his stall during the holiday's. When it moved it's head/moved at all, he would practically book it to the back of his stall. Such a goober

Comment

My boy sits like a dog. Its just comforable for him. I swear, at least once a week when I am at the barn someone will go up to me and say "I saw your horse out in then pasture just sitting there" and I'm like I know, he is a weirdo...
                Also, this gets kind of annoying, but he likes to snuggle so he will put his head on my shoulder and rest it there. Especially annoying when I'm trying to braid!!!

Comment

I am almost convinced my pony understands english. If he is not 100% fluent, he is most definitely around 50%. For example, one day I was riding out in the pasture at my old barn. There were two gates in the pasture, one to the front of the barn and one to the back. Well I was letting him walk on a free rein to cool him off and he started heading to the back gate. Then I told him, "No Moonie, the back gate is locked. We have to go to the other one." He turned right around with absolutely NO signals, communication( other than verbal), whatsoever and walked to the other gate then stopped in front of it. There are also Many other occasions of stuff like this.
                  "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

Haha spmoonie I swear my horse understands english sometimes too! My horse is obsessed with cat food, and will break out of his stall to steal the barn cats' food. He also likes to cross his front legs over and over if he's been standing in a cross tie for more than like 20 minutes, and once he actually fell over!

Comment

My horse in turn out on regular days runs across the arena in perfect figure eights, and practices his changes.

On a windy windy day, he decided that he was an arabian thuroughbred hackney combo, after 20 minutes of galloping arround as i just sit there and laugh at him, he walks to me at the gate, grabs his lead and throws it over my arm and put his head on my shoulder, saying mommy im all done now, lets go home.

Also in turn out he runs straight at the mirror,stares at himself, snorts and rears and runs away from the 'other horse' He always stares at himself in the mirror durring indoor lessons as well, with an amazement for how cute he is.

The other day after jumping the last line of a course, he jumps (not bucks, but in perfect hunter form) jumps four feet in the air over a sunbeam from the windows thats on the ground. He treated it like a real jump, It was absolutely hilarious. Next time around, exact same thing, even when we trotted at the end.

In hacks, as soon as the announcer begins with the results, he tries to walk out in first (and recently weve had unfortunate hacks, getting cut off, having a horse kick at him etc.) so when I stop him from going out in the wrong order, he always pins his ears, swings his head around and gives me an emo look, and pouts till hes called.

And last but not least. There is a series of pictures of him at WEF scratching his but against a palm tree right before a hack, then turning and trying to eat it. Did I mention my horse is special? Wow that was long, but my forever horse is quite 'special'

Comment

During lessons, most people put their water bottle on the rail and a certain horse at my barn will come by and knock them all off. He also tries to snatch pieces of bushes while being ridden too! And if you give my friend's horse a water bottle, he'll tip it up and drink out of it!

My friend's pony is special too! When everyone is gathered in the center of the arena listening to my trainer, she'll look and the horse next to her and perk her ears up. Then she'll act all cute and friendly to reel the other horse in and bam! she'll pin her ears and snort right in their face! She'll a funny old grump. She also finds it amusing to snort on my trainer's daughter whenever she's around too!

Comment

My horse, Pedro, likes to have his teeth "brushed" when he has his face brushed. I run the brush along his teeth and he flaps his lips happily. This game goes on until he says enough, by opening his teeth just a little and biting on the end of the bristles gently.

Comment

My TB loves to play tug of war with cones. We put dressage cones out in the arena for the kids to use in their lessons and in turn-out he'll grab it, bonk someone on the head with it, and force them to play tug of war. My BM thinks its hysterical and calls me to tell me.

He also likes to stick his LONG neck out his door, twist his head sideways so he's as long as pony possible to try and get a treat. You can put them in his bucket but he refuses to eat them until you actually feed them to him HIS way.

We have a filly in our barn who stands on the 3rd step of our mounting block and plays king of the hill. Same horse also loves to bare her teeth, put them on your neck and LEAN all her weight into you. Takes a little trust since she's a little light in the mind sometimes. and the feeling of cold hard pony teeth on your neck is a little unsettling but she hasn't bitten me yet!

Comment

I used to ride a horse that would suck on the little button on my velvet helment before a show. I guess he got nervous, too. A lot the horses that I ride like to lick my hand and drink lemonade vitamin water and red gatorade.

Comment

My 5 year old TB loves to pick up his jolly ball with his mouth and smack himself in the face with it. Pretty funny stuff.

Comment

Well one of my ponies bites my foot if I do something wrong!

The other one can take of his blanket and roll it up in a ball!(In the pasture)

Comment

My new horse is a complete goofball. He enjoys sucking on peppermints rather than actually eating them. Its really cute actually. You can hear him and his tounge sort of sticks out . In the field he likes to get COMPLETELY in his water trough. I mean all 4 feet. And he isn't exactly a small creature (16.3h and growing). When there are puddles in his field he makes a zig-zag patter to get around them to come to me at the gait. I don't know if this is funny but he comes to me when I whistle. He also enjoys licking everything and knocking over water bottles on the fence. Now I have only had him for about a month so I am sure I havn't even caught on to every little silly thing he does. Got to love 'em
                                    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
                                    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

My gelding was standing ringside at a horse show, stuck his head in the garbage can, pulled out a banana peel, and proceeded to eat it. Everyone around was hysterical.

Comment

I had a 16.3 DWB that we bred and raised. He was an oversized lap dog. First he had to have everything in his mouth. He once found a twenty foot piece of flexible pipe and I looked out. One end in his mouth and he was lunging himself.

Before shows we would turn him out in our fenced in back yard to stay clean. Well I had a swing set in there also. He got the swing stuck on top of his head and he just stood there until someone came and took it off of him. He also in that same back yard walked up the Handi Cap ramp to the back porch and was looking in the glass sliding door at everyone!

He also ate the end of my crop off in the middle of showing in hand and I was trying to find the flapper and get all the string out of his mouth. This one horse gave me years of funny stories.

Comment

Working...
                                        X