• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stretching Field boot Calves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching Field boot Calves

Hello everyone.

I know there have been a bunch of boot trends lately with the impending show season. I need your advice and help. I just received new boots (ariat challenges) for my birthday. They need to be broken in, which is fine, but the right calf is so tight that i cannot stand to be in them for more than 30 minutes as they completely cut off the circulation to my foot. I was assured that the soft leather would stretch by both the girl that fit them and my trainer. I am sure they will but I need to give the right calf a little help. I have tried boot stretch liquid but I only had a little and ran out. I unfortunately have not been able to locate any more at this moment.

I have heard that you can use a diluted isopropyl alcohol solution to help stretch the leather. Any suggestions?

They will stretch out as your wear and break them in. I would not stretch them. I have the Ariat Challenges and the Ariat Crownes and both were unbearble when I first got them, but they both stretched a little bit and fit perfectly now. I would focus more on oiling and wearing them. They will stretch in time. If they have zippers, ride with the zippers half way or 1/4 of the way down and zip them up a little at a time during your ride.
    www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

I used the "bathtub method" with my Ariats.

Fill bathtub. Put on boots. Get in. Immerse entire boot in warm water. Take boot off and dump out water.

Put on breeches. Put wet boots back on immediately. Go to the barn. Walk around/ride in boots. Let boots dry and confrom to your leg.

Condition inside of dry boots and voila no more pain!
      Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

Originally posted by Spud&Saf View Post
        I used the "bathtub method" with my Ariats.

Fill bathtub. Put on boots. Get in. Immerse entire boot in warm water. Take boot off and dump out water.

Put on breeches. Put wet boots back on immediately. Go to the barn. Walk around/ride in boots. Let boots dry and confrom to your leg.

Condition inside of dry boots and voila no more pain!

Just wondering, do you have to get IN the tub for this method? Couldn't you just dunk the boots?

The foot bed doesn't get all icky?
        FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

Originally posted by naters View Post
          Just wondering, do you have to get IN the tub for this method? Couldn't you just dunk the boots?

The foot bed doesn't get all icky?
          I seem to have the same results that I've seen others have on this forum via the bathtub method by just bathing my horses while wearing my tall boots and letting them dry on. So I don't think you have to get in the tub with them unless you want to...

Comment

Also, any shoe repair place should be able to stretch the calves for you, too. Boots that cut off your circulation are definitely not fun.
            A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Yes, the bath tub method, and yes, you can just dunk the boots. Just make sure you put them on right away and wear them until they are totally dry. It'll take at least 8 hours. I just did this with my Ariat's for the same reason. I wore them all of last season assuming they would eventually stretch. Zip up a little at a time. Blah, blah, blah...Never did get to where they didn't make my feet go numb. This was a last resort but it WORKED!
              “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Comment

FYI - if you are at all worried that you may not be able to get the boots on, then put them on BEFORE you get them wet! I had a friend whose boots were too tight (no zippers) and once they were wet she couldn't get her leg into them and they ended up drying tighter than when she started. And they ended up breaking the pull tab when she was trying to get them on wet.

Would you use the bathtub method for used boots?

I have an old pair of Vogels that are a smidge too tight after all these years (ok, so they cut off the circulation in my foot). I have thought about getting them stretched, but would rather do it myself if possible.

Comment

I have fully lined pull on Ariats for schooling and they stretched plenty. When I first put them on (I soak mine with Lexol instead of water - either is fine though), the right boot was so tight, my foot was asleep within minutes. After wearing them dry and riding in them a few times, they are perfect. My Vogels have stretched ever more than my Ariats.....so it's safe to say, most boots will stretch with regular use.

Comment

My daughter had this problem recently. She put the hose into her boot while it was one her leg and got it completely wet. It stretched and she kept it on for several hours. But by 10pm they were still not completely dry so we took an empty champagne bottle and stuck it down in it to keep it stretched while they continued drying. Fit perfect now.

Comment

My Vogels have zippers. I wore them in pain to break them in, then they were tolerable. Then I had a baby and didn't ride for awhile. Now I'm sure my calves are a little bigger, but it's not the calves that are the problems. It's my arches and ankles. They aren't broken in enough to have dropped so essentially the ankles are in the wrong place. I can barely get my heels down and they cut off my circulation at the ankles rendering my feet numb. Talk about pinching with ones knees ...

Can you stretch boots that have a zipper? Can you stretch the ankles? Will zipper boots drop eventually?
                      Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Comment

I took mine to be stretched because they literally brought tears to my eyes when I zipped them all the way- and I am SO not a wimp!! The people at the boot place told me that they could only minimally stretch (if at all) zipper boots because they could only put a certain amount on them without busting the zippers. I'm not sure how much they stretched mind but they were perfect when they came back and even though I was so nervous, I was SO GLAD that I did it!
                        Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
                        www.saradanielhaynes.com

Comment

Put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.
                          SOAK the inside of the calf of the boot, put them on and let dry while you ride etc.
                          This is exactly the same thing as what is in those expensive Shoe Stretch treatments that you buy from the shoe store.
                          Repeat as needed.
                          Don't get the rubbing alcohol on the outside of the boot.
                          This worked with super stiff dressage boots that made a "thunk" sound when you tapped on them. It will definitely work on a field boot that is so much softer.

NJR
                          Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This has really helped. I am not quite brave enough to jump in the tub with them on but I am going to soak them a bit more with a mixture of alcohol and water and wear them a few more times. I tried the wear and zip as you go for a while the other day. I managed to get them all the way up by the time I was tacked and ready, but once i started riding I had to drop them back open after 10 minutes because my calves had no way of flexing and they were exhausted fighting against the force of the leather. I am going to wear my old boots on sunday for my show and hopefully will have them ready to go for next month.

Comment

My method -- and I told Mr. Vogel of Vogel boots I did it and he thought it was brilliant. He also said the bathtub method is fine and safe. Actually recommended it.

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and bought PVC pipe (they will cut the pipe short for you there) that was almost as wide around as my calf. I then went into the flooring section and bought wooden shims. They are about 10" long and are long, thin, wedge-like pieces. Ask anyone there and they will point you in the right direction. I wet the boots under the tub tap, stuck the pipe in the boot, then started packing shims in until they were tight. I stuck them thickest side down first, so they were putting pressure in the calf area only. Then, as I stuck more and more in and they got tight, I continued to hammer more in, this time skinny side down, hammering on the wider end. I stuck as many as I could in to really stretch them, then left them overnight.

Voila! Perfection! Have not had a problem with them since. And the materials to do it were cheap!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

The Rubbermaid method

the last time I had to break in some new boots, I did a modified version of the bathtub method.....Put shorts on, some old boot socks and my boots. Went outside and filled a tall (new) rubbermaid garbage can with water with the garden hose. Stepped into the can and submerged the boots for a few minutes. Stepped out and proceed to spend the next three hours gardening and weeding....broke them in like a charm!

Comment

When you do the bathtub method should you use warm water or is it okay to just use the garden hose water? and when you put the boots back on after dunking them, can you also put tall boot socks on with the breeches to make it a perfect fit, or do you just wear breeches? Doesn't water make materials shrink? HELP!

My tall boots fit perfectly fine in the foot and ankle, but I need a VERY strong person to zip my boots (especially my right one) around the calf area. Would it be better to get them professionally stretched or should i try the bathtub method?

thanks
                                  Last edited by xhayjudexo; Aug. 30, 2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: another question

Comment

When I've used the bath tub method, I've used warm water, although I've heard of other people using the hose too. And I would put tall socks on, too- I've even heard of some people putting on saran wrap and/or plastic bags over the socks to protect their breeches. Whatever you do, avoid bare skin next to wet leather... learned that the hard way

Comment

I ended up putting zippers into mine--they are at the boot repair shop right now actually!

Bought these Devon-Aires off the rack as the "perfect" size in 2005. Rode in them off and on for two years. Then in May of 2007 I tried them on and they are way way too tight. Took a break from riding and decided that this summer would be the summer I finally get these darn things fixed! Had them stretched at the boot repair show and then I tried the water method--I got my left leg stuck in the boot at 11:30 at night and soaked in the tub until I could pull the boot off!

So I took them back and the nice nice man decided to put zippers in them for me. I'm in no rush to get them back but I can't wait to see if I can finally wear them!!

Good suggestions here too!

Comment

Working...
                                      X