• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When to give up safety stirrups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to give up safety stirrups?

Is there an age or level where safety stirrups (the kind with the big rubber band) are no longer appropriate. Does a judge ever look in the ring and see safety stirrups and think "novice rider"?

Sometimes I think it depends on the rest of the turnout if the judge thinks novice rider. I guess I was 11 or 12 when I quite using them and had been riding my whole life. Usually at the shows you don't see them much past the 2' level but it doesn't bother me to see them higher.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

As soon as my daughter went to tall boots the safety stirrups were taken off.
      COURAGE is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/pr...rivateDiamonds

Comment

I started using them again when I got my ottb and I am officially a grown-up! I have switched to "Quick outs" now and will use Royal Rider flexy ones this season. I don't see a problem with using them and if the chances of getting dumped are high (with a green horse...) I think it is wise. I have never used them in the hunter ring though and wouldn't.
        "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

A few years ago I stopped using them after my knee surgery - I switched to the MDC Ultimates because I needed something that would "flex" to help alleviate the knee pain. Just to give you an idea of my age... I started riding in the early/mid 70's .

I don't see a problem with people using them - after seeing a good number of kids/adults fall off and get caught up in the stirrups over the years - i'm all for anything that can prevent someone from getting hurt worse than they need to.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

You never 'have' to switch out of them. It's not like everyone uses traditional stirrups and you will look out of place- there are all sorts of screwy stirrups out there now, including ones with no outside branch at all. In terms of when regular irons become "more safe," it is when the foot has grown enough that it is difficult to impossible to get the foot entirely through the stirrup iron. If you can still easily slip your foot clear through the iron- either stick with safeties, or look for a different shaped (more stout) iron.

Comment

I hope I don't curse myself by saying this, but I've fallen off more times than I can count (since I started at age 5, 28+ years ago) and I've never gotten hung up in my stirrups-- and I've NEVER used safety stirrups. Frankly, the few times I HAVE used safety stirrups (on a borrowed saddle), I've had problems-- either with the bands popping off, or dismounting down over them and getting them hung up on clothes, etc. Personally, I hate the things.
              *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

I think as far as showing goes, most people give them up when they switch from garters to tall boots.

Comment

I thought the safeties the OP is talking about (with the rubber bands) were only supposed to be used on riders up to 100 lbs? I could definitely be wrong, but that's what I've been told.
                  CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
                  Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Comment

I think Angel Undercover is right... you should quit using them when you excede the weight limit... at some point they aren't going to hold up to the pressure. I recall an add that said something about the pounds of pressure that a rider creates in the sturrips when landing off a 4 ft fence... it was A LOT more than you might think.

Comment

once they get to tall boots, it's time for real stirrups.
                      (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

If you're "too big" to ride in peacocks, there are several other kinds of safety stirrups - Foot Free are curved, Kwik Out look like normal irons but will release, Mountain Horse also makes a Quick Release stirrup.

I'm sure there are others that look more traditional but have the safety features.
                        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Undercover View Post
                          I thought the safeties the OP is talking about (with the rubber bands) were only supposed to be used on riders up to 100 lbs? I could definitely be wrong, but that's what I've been told.
                          There is a recommended weight limit - I vaguely remember something about 100 lbs too. Thankfully I never had a problem with them breaking and I did a LOT of jumping in them!

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Around here it's usually around the age of 12, or when the kid moves up to Long Stirrup.
                            Confessions of a Cool Kid! <--- check out my blog (:
                            My Youtube

Comment

i used them up until 15 (whoops). we just forgot to switch them, but once i got my horse, i got irons. however, when i was 15 i was under 100 pounds and on aa pony, so i guess i didnt really break the rules?

Comment

I ride in them all the time and I'm 27. However, when I show, I have a plain pair of fillis irons that I switch to, because I think the elastic looks cheesy. I'm paranoid about getting caught up and I get nervous about riding in non-safety stirrups, but at least with spending less time in the saddle for a show class than I do for schooling, I can reassure myself that there's less probability of it.

If the weight limit for peacocks is 100 lbs I'm under it, so that may make a difference--but the general size and shape is the same between the peacock and fillis so I don't notice any difference when I switch for showing.

And then if I ever get to clinic with GM I can start in his good graces by riding in plain old-fashioned fillis. (;
                                "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Undercover View Post
                                  I am not sure about what the "weight limit" is, but you are indeed correct that the stirrups become a problem once the rider reaches a certain weight.

Many decades ago, we tried to have them on all of our lesson/school saddles (beginner adults are just as "beginner" as the kids!). Turned out that we could only use them on the saddles for the smaller riders. With the larger riders the stirrups would "bend" over time. Not sure that bend is the right word here. Because the stirrups only had one branch that was metal, the stirrups would become longer on the elastic side - as if someone deliberately removed the elastic and then pulled on each end of the stirrup. Like we do with the water bucket handles when they get a little smushed! It was not an instant thing, but it didn't take too many "bigger person" rides to have it happen. Once the stirrup was bent or stretched, it made the bottom outside of the stirrup slant down. Not good! Years ago there was no option for larger people other than "regular" stirrups. Thankfully, now there are. So for the larger saddles we have the Kwick Out stirrups now, but we still use the elastic ones on the smaller saddles.

Comment

GM did not say a word about my peacock stirrups in the two clinics I did. He even touched my foot to readjust it (swoon). I am well over 100 pounds and have never seen any sign of bending in any of the pairs I have used over the last 15 years. However, I don't jump over 3'6", so maybe there is a difference using them consistently at the higher levels. Put me in the paranoid group; I have never come even close to getting hung up, but that doesn't prevent me from fearing the worst!

I have a question about the Kwick-Outs...aren't the physics the same as the peacock stirrup? Although there is (superficially) an outside branch, it is not really used as for weight distribution since it is not part of one integrated metal arch. It seems that Kwick-Outs are the same as peacocks in the sense that the weight is borne on only one metal branch of the stirrup arch. So, wouldn't there be the same weight distribution concerns as with the peacocks? Mountain Horse has quick release stirrups with no outside branch, and there is no weight restriction, and I have never seen a weight restriction listed for generic peacocks.

To the OP: I am not sure about the effect on judging, but there was a critique for "From the Judge's Box" in COTH in January (this link should work even if you don't subscribe) from Geoff Teall, who said:

"I would like to see both horse and rider conform a bit more to the rules of turnout. A braided mane is correct. Also, the loop on the noseband for a flash attachment is inappropriate, as are the buckle attachments for the bit to the bridle. I also feel that there is a time and a place to let the safety stirrups go."

So, I would say that, at least for some judges, safety stirrups are not really appropriate beyond a certain age in subjectively judged classes. As others stated, most stop using them when they move to tall boots.

Comment

First off, I'm a little offended at the comment that my stirrups aren't "real" just because they're safety stirrups, to me, safety is more important than fashion. As I was just saying in the dressage thread about helmets, watching a girl die because her foot got caught tends to influence one's choices about safety versus fashion and tradition. That said though, I'd say leave the peacock irons to the little kids and switch to a more traditional looking safety stirrup. Not only am I past the 100lb limit, but I find them to be too lightweight, and therefore harder to pick up if you drop a stirrup. Personally, I'm fond of the S-curve irons, but Hunter Mom mentioned a few others that sound good.

Comment

Sometimes those peacock stirrups aren't so safe when a kid gets their paddock boot lace caught on the hook! I would rather use the other kinds of saftey stirrups that are available.

Comment

Working...
                                        X