• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Magazines for those who actively show...or has PH really dummied down???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines for those who actively show...or has PH really dummied down???

I thought it was just me until I noticed another poster remarking on the change at PH.
    I used to look forward to the useful tid bits and hints every month. Now the content is drifting toward the novice rider and first horse owners.
    Now review and basics ARE important and beginners and non horse owners need a place to get information too I don't mean to suggest otherwise.

But those of us who show liked having a nice colorful monthly with leading show H/J riders, news (late but still pertinent) including show reports as well as all kinds of clearly communicated excercises to keep us motivated. Even trainers used to take some lesson drills out of the magazine to incorporate into advanced over fences lessons. Sadly it's been some time since I could read the magazine and know what was in store at lessons.
    Now the issues are slanted to serve the fast growing novice market with basic horse care articles and most of the training devoted to this level of riding. Sadly this must be where the ad revenues are directing them.
    The monthly covor story, like this month's Anne Kusinski turning excercise, takes up only a few pages and leads to another comment.....Would whoever transcribes or edits these pro interviews stop making every month's sound exactly the same?? Nothing at all of each pro's style is remaining in these, no more "what makes them different". The style is exactly the same as the adult beginner article, the Get Straight article, and the intraining piece on rubbing. Not naive I realize somebody needs to write the stuff based on pro feedback and interviews but it did not used to be this noticeable.
    It did not used to all be aimed at the novice either.
    My biggest complaint is that I cannot understand the remaining advanced ones anymore...and I agree with other posters that the diagram on page 55 is wrong according to the text on page 58 as the figure 8 exercise is changed...whoever wrote this did themore common exercise they were familiar with not the unusual variation as described by Ms Kursinski.

For those of us who really show and have been in horses for awhile there is little of interest here anymore. I will miss the GM column but not the every couple of months tirade of letters saying he is "wrong" and "mean" PH feels are more important to print then the old style PH which would use the space for another piece for the active competition rider. One we could understand and which captured their style.

Too bad but when my subsciption (since 94) expires I won't renew.
    Good old COTH will be the sole remaining monthly.

err.. of course I mean weekly, only magazine of any kind.

A good reputation taking thousands of years to build can be destroyed in a few hours.

[This message was edited by findeight on Mar. 04, 2002 at 12:28 PM.]
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.
  • Original Poster

I thought it was just me until I noticed another poster remarking on the change at PH.
    I used to look forward to the useful tid bits and hints every month. Now the content is drifting toward the novice rider and first horse owners.
    Now review and basics ARE important and beginners and non horse owners need a place to get information too I don't mean to suggest otherwise.

But those of us who show liked having a nice colorful monthly with leading show H/J riders, news (late but still pertinent) including show reports as well as all kinds of clearly communicated excercises to keep us motivated. Even trainers used to take some lesson drills out of the magazine to incorporate into advanced over fences lessons. Sadly it's been some time since I could read the magazine and know what was in store at lessons.
    Now the issues are slanted to serve the fast growing novice market with basic horse care articles and most of the training devoted to this level of riding. Sadly this must be where the ad revenues are directing them.
    The monthly covor story, like this month's Anne Kusinski turning excercise, takes up only a few pages and leads to another comment.....Would whoever transcribes or edits these pro interviews stop making every month's sound exactly the same?? Nothing at all of each pro's style is remaining in these, no more "what makes them different". The style is exactly the same as the adult beginner article, the Get Straight article, and the intraining piece on rubbing. Not naive I realize somebody needs to write the stuff based on pro feedback and interviews but it did not used to be this noticeable.
    It did not used to all be aimed at the novice either.
    My biggest complaint is that I cannot understand the remaining advanced ones anymore...and I agree with other posters that the diagram on page 55 is wrong according to the text on page 58 as the figure 8 exercise is changed...whoever wrote this did themore common exercise they were familiar with not the unusual variation as described by Ms Kursinski.

For those of us who really show and have been in horses for awhile there is little of interest here anymore. I will miss the GM column but not the every couple of months tirade of letters saying he is "wrong" and "mean" PH feels are more important to print then the old style PH which would use the space for another piece for the active competition rider. One we could understand and which captured their style.

Too bad but when my subsciption (since 94) expires I won't renew.
    Good old COTH will be the sole remaining monthly.

err.. of course I mean weekly, only magazine of any kind.

A good reputation taking thousands of years to build can be destroyed in a few hours.

[This message was edited by findeight on Mar. 04, 2002 at 12:28 PM.]

Comment

I wonder if COTH has thought about picking up some articles that are more training oriented, to pick up subscription sales? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?"
      http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
      http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
      [url]
      Starman Babies

Comment

I have been thinking the same thing about PH for the last several months FindEight. I no longer find the training articles interesting as they are almost too basic.

And you are dead on about the similarity of all the training articles. The do all sound the same - maybe the equestrian who wrote the article do not get a final look at it before printing, and its just the ghost writer who finishes it up.

However, I still really like the Thinking Horseman editorial each month and the focus articles on individual riders. They are usually still very good. I enjoy reading about how other people have suceeded in our sports [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

They did the same thing with "Dressage and CT" magazine a few years ago, which used to be quite technical and in-depth, and a very very good read, but the PH bought it out (or the distributor) and dumbed it down so it is basically the same as PH now. :-/

I wish someone would do a magazine that was aimed more at the intermediate level rider who is also interested in more advanced riding. Both Horse International and Eventing are good examples of ones that provide more in-depth articles and interviews.
        You Strike Me Still

Comment

I actually like some of the basic horse care articles, such as what to do when your horse gets kicked and basic first aid things.

I think the BAR (Beginning adult rider) section is boring because I am not a beginner, or an adult. LOL

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
          see ya

Comment

The articles by Beezie Madden, Todd Minikus, Louise Serio, and Scott Hofstetter about what to do when certain things (chip, loose a sturrip) are vert good.

I would not like to see show results in PH. That is what the Chronicle is for.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
            see ya

Comment

I agree that PH is not as good as before, but there is another mag that is better, but probably not for you guys.

It is an Ontario circuit mag called the Corinthian, gives all the results and all that good stuff. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

I let my PH subscription run out after they started in with all the articles aimed at the beginner/first timer/returning-after-20-year- sabbatical type. Adds absolutely no value for me... just 30 pages I have to turn before I get to George Morris.

They make a magazine for the people described above... it is called "Horse Illustrated." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Blech. I just got my first issue after a 4 year hiatus.

I won't renew.

I treasure the PHs I have from the late 70s, early 80s to mid-90s. Wonderful, practical articles with exercises you can actually do and learn from. I used to also enjoy the articles like how Francesca Mazella won the Medal and Maclay, and Geoff Teal's experiences with the Jacobs family. Do they still ride by the way?

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"

Comment

• Original Poster

As I said no knock on beginners. But go back and read the other pro articles and they all sound the same from month to month. And by show reports I mean interviews with leading riders (not results) like "well Ms Goldstein-Engle what do you think of your new 6 year old and his High Prelim win"
                    Even though I have a full time trainer to tell me about lost stirrups and chips she still used to get some great exercises or insight out of PH that are not there anymore.

I am solely speaking as a long time owner and competitor who sadly doesn't read much of this anymore.

Must say read a Horse and Rider the other day...same old same old... No more good advanced stuff, just identical stuff to PH on trailers, shots and winter blankets. One badly written and confusing piece by a leading reiner that sounded the same as the others.

Can't somebody combine advanced interests into their magazine with the novice stuff????????

Comment

I've felt that way re: PH for years now. It might be nice to have a really fresh training magazine, but I wonder what the market appeal would be? I can see why PH has gone the way they have, and I love the shiney photos and the (obvious) re-affirmation that certain techniques and exercises will always be 'right', but it does lack the technical.
                      HEY! Maybe we need a Technical Horseman instead (or alongside) a Practical Horseman!! Also remember, these magazines are published from a group, not necessarily by core of horsey professionals.

PS- ELMO !!!! WHAT?! Is the Corinthian still around??? Do they have a Website?? BossHoss NEEDS a subscription!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Big Things Ahead!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Findeight, I couldn't agree with you more. Lately when I receive the magazine, I thumb through, only to find a bunch of articles that make me think I am back to reading Equus (that is full of articles having to do with horse care, trailering, etc.). Yes, there is a need for magazines like Equus, but I don't want it...that's why I let my subscription to that magazine lapse. I started reading PH because I liked the technical articles. Now, like you said, it seems very focused on novice horse owners, and I have no interest in most of the articles.

I don't think I will renew my subscription when it comes due either.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

Comment

Agree with the above. I can remember WAY back when PH used to be the Pennsylvania Horse. As MargaretF said, many good "inside" articles, stories on the old Winter Place Farm, Jimmy Lee, Patty Heuckeroth. Even the articles with top pros are now geared to the novice rider.

Comment

Sadly, I also agree. The articles I enjoy most now are those increasingly rare ones where the top trainers give their impressions of what's right and wrong about horse shows these days and what might be done to change them.

I was talking to Geoff Teall in Florida. He writes occasionally for PH and has an article on judging coming out sometime soon. He said he does all his own writing, then an editor at the magazine "cleans it up" and does a bit of rewriting. The copy is then shipped back to him for his approval. If he thinks they've changed things too much, he simply changes it back. I do think he is one pro, writing for PH, whose own voice really shines through.
                            www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

I'm still very much at the point where I can get valuable tips from PH. However, after only 2 and half years of riding, I can already see the point at which the format will have limited utility even to me.

I enjoy reading more detailed and advanced advice/descriptions even if it'll be years before I can use them. I think there is value in understanding advanced concepts before one actually gets to that point in his/her riding.

You can put me in the adult beginner category that wants more articles for advanced riders.

" Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience."
                              --Emerson

Comment

• Original Poster

And that is a great point about exposing novices to the upper levels.
                                When I was still knocking around bareback in a backyard the neighbor boy won the (then) AHSA Stock Seat Medal Finals, other neighbors had Arabs and Morgans and I was exposed to their show circuit. Without that exposure I would never have moved up the levels.
                                If a magazine could provide the novice with info pertinent to them plus entertain more advanced riders with stories about leading horse/rider combos and training theories they would have lifetime subscribers.....funny I let my subsciption to Equus go for the same reason.

Comment

Unfortunately it all comes down to basic demographics. Right now the biggest equestrian market in both consumers and readers is the adult amateur/mid-novice level horse owner. The advertisers want to put their ads in the mags that reach their biggest market, and ads are primarily what pay most any magazine's bills.

There have been a couple of start-up magazines that were aimed at an upper level competitor. The articles were composed mainly of interviews with international level riders. I know, I wrote for them! And guess what? High praise, good feedback, but low subscriptions and low ads. So the magazines died. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Think of it like starting up a new TV series. It doesn't matter much who watches it, or what the critics think. It's HOW MANY people watch it.

"You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at." -- The Sundance Kid

Comment

Count me among those who truly dislike what's happened with horse mags. Since Primedia bought most of them, the similarities and lack of depth is awful!
                                    Geoff Teal's article was a rare glimpse of something that had a spark of originality -- the rest are just the same flavor. Sad, but true.

One magazine that I do still like is Hunter and SportHorse. It's only bi-monthly, but some of the articles do seem to have more of interest to someone who is more intermediate/advanced and wants to hear other ideas and approaches.

But other than that one, I don't know of anything else. I wonder if a mass letter-writing campaign might help get PH to refocus a bit?

Comment

Although I no longer subscribe to PH for the above reasons, they still have good articles from time to time. The recent two-parter by Katie Prudent was good and the one in this month's issue by Anne Kursinski. For the most part both articles contained exercises I have seen and/or done before, but it never hurts to do them again or to read their explanations of what you are trying to get from the exercise, troubleshooting tips, etc. So although I no longer subscribe, I check out each month's issue to see if it is worth buying, as sometimes it is.
                                      www.retiredhorses.com
                                      Blogging about daily life on the retirement farm: http://paradigmfarms.blogspot.com/
                                      Paradigm Farms on Facebook

Comment

I've had a subscription since it was Midwest Hunter and was free. I keep wishing it was monthly, but I'm not sure I could stand more than one "stallion issue" per year. (They ought to laminate that one before they send it. My friends and I spend so much time drooling over the stallions -- and all of us own geldings -- that it's a real mess by the time we're done!)

Lorree

Reality is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
                                        Originally posted by King's Ransom
                                        "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Comment

Working...
                                        X