• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HUGE Dilema - Your Advice/Opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE Dilema - Your Advice/Opinions?

I want to board one of my OTTB's for about 1-2 months, mainly for the facility use and for the training (lessons) to further me along. I'm hoping to show him in the late summer/fall. I have a huge, emotional dilema and I need your advice.

My trainer that I have used for years is absolutely the best in alot of people's eyes. This person can make a champion out of you and your horse....absolutely fantastic - and I have learned so very very very much from this person over our 19 years (almost) friendship. We did have a falling where I did not use this person for about 10 years (didn't ride that much, for about five years didn't have any horses - and when I got my 3 OTTB's took them down to this trainer for less than 2 months).

But this trainer has had alot of comings and goings and the reasons are:

1. Lousy feed
    2. Using your horse behind your back
    3. Charging you for things you did not ask for or want at all

The facility is beautiful, but the feed that is used is, for lack of a better term, NOT horse feed but cattle feed. They will NOT switch (cost effective they say). If you use your own feed, there is no price reduction and they will probably use it on THEIR horses and not yours.

Okay okay, I know what you guys are thinking....but remember, I absolutely love this trainer, have been personal friends for years, I attribute all my championships and knowledge to this trainer....I have done so well. There have been many of us that have used this trainer/BO, left for the same reasons, didn't do as well on our own or under someone else, and came back. Most of us, however, only leave our horses there for a few months and then bring them back home. Just enough time to get some more training in.

So, what would YOU do if you were in this situation. Please tell me. Thanks.

post edit: After reading back over my original post, I can see why everyone had such harsh opinions. The above is true....it's hard, however, to put everything down in a post, and there is so so much more to this post than above - thus making the decision so difficult for me and why alot of you said what you said. What shows above is simply black and white - but in this case, it was not at all just black and white. And I want to make it perfectly clear that this dilema I am in has to do with what I thought was a friendship, a true friendship, and nothing romantically involved at all. Nothing like that at all!

But, all in all, it comes down to the facts, no matter what else there may be to this situation. And again, my many thanks for pointing these facts out. Yes, I was clouded by alot of emotion, and righly so, if you the members knew the whole situation and what other boarder's that have been at this barn, also feel as I do myself. Sometimes a situation is not, to alot of people, so cut and dried, there is alot of gray matter....but it all comes down to one thing, what is right for your horse and right for you. I have come to the decision and realization that this trainer/BO is not the right thing for me anymore, no matter what my feelings may be.
    Last edited by gooselover; Apr. 14, 2009, 02:33 PM.

Originally posted by gooselover View Post
    1. Lousy feed

....but remember, I absolutely love this trainer, have been personal friends for years, I attribute all my championships and knowledge to this trainer....I have done so well.

Ummmmmm...and this is your friend because....?????

All I can say is I must have different expectations from friendship and a different definition of a good trainer and person to entrust my horse to.

Maybe...how much better would you have done with a real trainer who properly managed your horse and a friend who looked out for your best interests then this person?

Like I said, I think I have a different definition of "trainer" and "horse care professional" I trust, and pay, to look out for my best interests.

Not in the best mood and maybe negative but...don't you expect more from your "friends" then this?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Why would you want to board there?? I don't care how great the trainer is, it sounds like a bad situation.

Comment

Doesn't sound like a big dilemma at all to me, because there's no way in hell my horse would be going there.
        Originally posted by barka.lounger
        u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh gosh, of course I would expect more, however this is a very complicated situation.

While these things go on behind your back, this trainer would be the first to help you out with extras also with no charge. it's just a very very difficult situation. This trainer would also be the first, if someone was down and out, to help someone out with the past due board....so you can see that there are alot of pro's and con's.....alot!

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that they can and have used your horse behind your back for other things. As an example, years and years ago, I put my horse in training with this person for trailering issues. My boarder friends come to me and said, here is what is going on with your horse - one of the trainers/BO own kids had been wanting to do jumpers, there was no horse in the barn that would jump like mine, so the trainer uses my horse to teach her teenager! I was FURIOUS to say the least!

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Latisha View Post
            Why would you want to board there?? I don't care how great the trainer is, it sounds like a bad situation.
            Agreed. Boarding there would be out of the question, and friendship would be highly questionable seeing as how this person doesn't seem like much of a horsemen at all. Producing show ring results is certainly on my list of qualities to look for in a trainer, but without a happy horse in a good solid maintenance program, and a level of reliable care that keeps the owners sane, the show ring success is short lived and not worth it. Find a new trainer.

ETA: She is only 'helping' people out to pacify them and try to keep business. If she actually cared she wouldn't do it in the first place.

Comment

Personally, this friend doesn't sound like too stellar of a person, and worse yet, a horse trainer. IMO, excellent management is a large part of being an excellent trainer. But it sounds like you really like riding under this person, but just don't want your horse there. Not going to pass judgement on you with that - you seem to be aware of the problems, but want to work with him/her anyway. Sounds like the "best case scenario" would be to ship in. That way you could get the training that you think is wonderful, but keep the care of your horse under your own control if he's at home. If that were not a possibility, I would look elsewhere.

Comment

Well, I think people like to throw around the words trainer and instructor fairly loosely.
                To me, a trainer is someone with an above average knowledge of horses and their care, and how to "teach" them. An instructor is someone who has the knowledge to teach humans.
                Apparently the OP's friend has the riding knowlege to be a decent instructor but is a lousy trainer.
                And I don't care if the friend were George Morris, no way in hell would my horse being staying at a place with substandard care and a BO I couldn't trust. Wow.
                "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

I wouldn't, but it's your horse....

Well, since people keep coming back to this trainer, she/he is never going to change. If winning is more important to you than what your horse is eating for a few months, how your horse is being used when you're not there, and the trainer charging you extra, then go ahead and put your horse there for a few months. It probably won't kill your horse and you'll get what you want , right (to win)?

In my area, there are enough barns with enough fantastic trainers for you to find one who'll help you to excel but who doesn't come with the negatives you've mentioned, but again, that's just here. I guess we're lucky.

Just to play devil's advocate, if this trainer is really that wonderful, why do you mind if she puts someone else on your horse? If you trust her that much, why don't you trust her judgement with who else she puts up? If she already charges you for stuff you don't want, why mind if she's "partial-free-leasing" your horse to another rider? And, if she's the first one to help out someone who's behind on their board, it's probably because she can afford to because she's feeding cattle feed and charging the other boarders enough to subsidize the boarder who can't pay (though in general, I'm all for pitching in alittle to help someone out if they get alittle behind).

This trainer sounds way too complicated and the potential for drama is way too high for me. But again, it's your horse. If winning is your goal and this trainer is the only way to win, then I guess you stay with this trainer. But, sure would be nice to find another way to be a winner (just my opinion).

Comment

I confess it is hard to believe the training is that good with someone who behave so poorly, but you didn't ask for opinions on that score.

So -

In this situation, at most I would ship in for lessons/training (and ship right back out again) or do "weekend clinics" where I might stay overnight but would bring (and feed) my own grain, etc. I might also ask for the show schedule and try to meet up with the trainer on the road, so I'd have the handy excuse of not leaving my horse in their care, while still taking advantage of the training and/or lessons.

Under no circs would I leave my horse in the care of someone who had behaved as described. Personally I don't think I could even ride with a "pro" who used my horse behind my back... but everyone makes their own decisions about such things.

If you want the training but are uncomfortable with the care, you either buy the training without the board, or find a different pro to ride with.

Good luck.
                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Oh gosh, of course I would expect more, however this is a very complicated situation.

While these things go on behind your back, this trainer would be the first to help you out with extras also with no charge. it's just a very very difficult situation. This trainer would also be the first, if someone was down and out, to help someone out with the past due board....so you can see that there are alot of pro's and con's.....alot!

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that they can and have used your horse behind your back for other things. As an example, years and years ago, I put my horse in training with this person for trailering issues. My boarder friends come to me and said, here is what is going on with your horse - one of the trainers/BO own kids had been wanting to do jumpers, there was no horse in the barn that would jump like mine, so the trainer uses my horse to teach her teenager! I was FURIOUS to say the least!
                      Kindness in one aspect does not make up for the lack thereof in another. Simply because trainer would be the first to help in situation "x" DOES NOT make up for the other deliberate wrong-doings (feed & use issues you mentioned). Maybe not to the same extreme, but your reasoning here sounds to me like the alcoholic husband who beats his wife when in a drunken stupor nearly every night, but the wife claims that when he's not drunk he's really wonderful and he always makes it up to her.

Knowing that you have had a problem that made you FURIOUS in the past, and you sound like this $^&* is still going on in one way or another, I would definitely stear clear. If you do go back, and something happens that you don't like, than you have no one to blame but yourself. There is a phrase that goes something like: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment

quote=gooselover;4020259]Oh gosh, of course I would expect more, however this is a very complicated situation.

[/quote]

Hey, the lousy feed, using the horse behind your back and charging you for things you did not need, want or authorize would be deal breakers that would send me out the gate before I ever needed to find out she was nice when you got behind.

My dear, it's only a complicated situation because you tolerate it. The situation between you and your horse care/training Pro is supposed to be a hobby, and oasis to sooth you and a place where life is simple and most things pretty black and white. Not a train wreck like this.

You are better then this and deseve better then to let this person take advantage of you because you tolerate it in the name of friendship or the fear you cannot do any better.

Bullshit. Get out of there.

Comment

Yet you still want to board with this person??
                          This story is starting to sound trollish.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Latisha View Post
                            Yet you still want to board with this person??
                            This story is starting to sound trollish.
                            Don't think so. Poster is newish but has made sense in most posts...and no mention of draw reins, drugs or PV.

Comment

• Original Poster

I assure you, I am not trolling. This is a real situation.

This person can and has trained horses extremely well....this person has also trained the rider and the forte' is putting them together for a winning team.

This person, away from the barn, has also been a personal friend of mine for years (except for the time we were "estranged").

Maybe my problem is that since moving to this state, I have never trained with anyone else and yet did so well under this person.

I do understand what everyone is saying, and I knew I would get slammed for being stupid because this whole thing sounds to be easy - just don't go to this barn! But it is much more complicated as stated.

I think my decision is to haul in to this trainer, not leave my horse there. I was only going to board for 1-2 months probably just to use the facility....

and maybe I could just try someone else.

I'm sorry for sounding so stupid, but this is very serious and real for me and a very emotional decision. I know it is very hard to understand and what I was searching for is IF anybody has been in this situation.

Also, this trainer was asked to be on the US Olympic Team years ago....he/she turned them down due to personal reasons not related to horses. Maybe now, you can understand how fantastic this person is with horse and rider.

Comment

How often do you go to the barn? Will you be there every night? Can you express very directly to this person that they are not to use your horse without your permission?

Say you are going to be out at the barn 5 night a week. In that case just buy your own feed, pre bag it, and feed it yourself. Leave two bags for the nights you're not out there, and only one bag at a time, left the night before your off night.

Pop in at random times to do "check ups" and make sure she's not riding your horse.

If she's your FRIEND as you say she is, she will respect your wishes and not use your horse.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me if she's so willing to screw over someone who so obviously likes and trusts her. (Yet doesn't really trust her, yes?)

Comment

Also, this trainer was asked to be on the US Olympic Team years ago....he/she turned them down due to personal reasons not related to horses. Maybe now, you can understand how fantastic this person is with horse and rider.
                                  I understand this person told you they were selected to be on the Olympic Team. I have heard the same from others and research did not support anything other then long listed or invited to compete in slection trials. Did this person actually turn down a firm invitation by the selection committee and do they have the International experience that leads you to believe they were invited to compete in a specific Olympic Games??? For the USA??

And, don't kid yourself, we have had some actual Olympians who are bona fide jerks and some that have financed themselves as individuals or gone to a second flag when their own country of citizenship turned them down. That really means just about nothing.

Certainly not anything to base this loyalty on.

And, no, we do not think you are stupid. At all. Merely insecure and not confident in our own ability to do better then this.

Try elsewhere, they'd love to have you.

Comment

I

1. Lousy feed

If you use your own feed, there is no price reduction and they will probably use it on THEIR horses and not yours.

this is no friend. a friend would not break your trust time and time again! they obviously know their feed is not good if they would use it on their own horses when you are buying if for your horse! that is sooo despicable! i would never do that to a friend.

Comment

I guess I'm not seeing the issue...I would NEVER put my horse in a situation like this. My horse is a better "friend" than this trainer.
                                      Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Comment

There is no way in hell my horse would live there. I agree with others that this is a no brainer, I guess there is more to it that we don't understand?

Comment

Working...
                                        X