• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

National H.S. cancels Hunter Division

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National H.S. cancels Hunter Division

According to a press release today, the NHS has cancelled the hunter division for the year 2000. See 9:11 p.m. post today under thread "National Horse Show." Also, I believe it will be discussed on Towerheads tomorrow.
  • Original Poster

According to a press release today, the NHS has cancelled the hunter division for the year 2000. See 9:11 p.m. post today under thread "National Horse Show." Also, I believe it will be discussed on Towerheads tomorrow.

Comment

This is from Goodmudder...
      -----------------------------

"THE NATIONAL HORSE SHOW
      P.O. Box 2761, New York, NY 10116-2761

Press Release - Wednesday, August 9, 2000
      1-516-484-1982 (fax)

National Horse Show Announces 2000 Suspension of Hunter Show

Responding to refusal by leaders of the National Hunter/Jumper Council
      (NHJC) of the American Horse Shows Association (AHSA) to recommend
      continued approval of variations in the AHSA rules for AHSA recognition in
      2000, the National Horse Show will suspend the planned activities in the
      Hunter division for this year only, it was announced today by Chrystine J.
      Tauber, Executive Director of the National Horse Show at Madison Square
      Garden. The action was approved at a conference call meeting of the
      National's Board of Directors held today. Due to the schedule restrictions
      at the Garden the show has run each year since 1996 with AHSA rule
      modifications.

"Owing to additional scheduling problems at the Garden," Tauber said, "we
      were faced with the prospect of further condensing our show into even one
      less day than we had run on since 1996. To offer a spectacular although
      shorter show we developed a program which would have greatly increased
      prize money to over $450,000 in Hunter and Jumper classes, including a
      $100,000 Hunter Classic. However, to do this, all Hunter classes would
      have to be held on one day (Saturday) with the Hunter Classic on Saturday
      evening.

"Working with AHSA staff and legal counsel on the problems this presented
      in the AHSA rules, we prepared a proposal for the AHSA Executive Committee.
      We proposed that the National be AHSA recognized, as a Local Competition,
      but that would have required modifications of the rules for the
      extraordinary circumstances we are facing. For example, a Local show
      cannot offer prize money over $500. We also proposed that the exhibitors
      compete without being awarded AHSA points in the Hunter division, owing to
      the condensed schedule. In addition, we suggested that the Under Saddle
      classes be combined into a special event format, which would have been
      another variation of the rules."

The AHSA Executive Committee met by telephone conference to consider the
      proposed "Presidential Modification" of the rules on Monday morning, August
      7. The AHSA Constitution specifically permits such modifications "under
      special circumstances." Since AHSA president Alan F. Balch is also
      president of the National Horse Show, he recused himself from consideration
      of the issue. The Executive Committee acts for the president in such
      matters when the president discloses a potential conflict of interest,
      under a procedure recommended by the AHSA Legal Review Committee when Balch
      took office in 1997. The procedure has been followed each year since then
      on rule matters involving the National Horse Show.

At the end of the meeting, Balch said, he was asked to join the conference.
      "Two members of the Executive Committee made it clear that they did not
      support granting a modification to the rules as proposed. NHJC president
      Tom Struzzieri represented that the Hunter and Jumper community did not
      favor the concept we proposed, and that he and the officers of the National
      Hunter/Jumper Council unanimously felt that the show could not be AHSA
      recognized. Eric Straus said that other members of the Executive Committee
      not from the Hunter/Jumper disciplines ought to defer to the recommendation
      of the Council leadership. Several members suggested that the proposal be
      referred back to the entire Board of Governors of the Council, scheduled to
      meet Tuesday evening, August 8, and all agreed.

Balch said, "I contacted Mrs. Kenneth Wheeler (director and benefactor of
      the National) Monday afternoon to advise her of the situation. On Tuesday
      afternoon, after thinking everything through, she reached me just prior to
      the Council Board of Governors monthly conference call to say that she had
      decided that if there was such a feeling by the Council leaders and the
      exhibitors they represent, then there was no point going forward with our
      plans for this year. I agreed with her."
      Mrs. Wheeler emphasized that the show was not being cancelled or ended.
      "We will produce a beautiful show for the Maclay horsemanship finals, and
      any parts of the schedule other than the Hunters that we can arrange, but
      the location at this time is undecided. And next year, without the
      additional scheduling problems we face this year with the Grammy Awards, we
      expect that we will be able to go back to our previous format at the
      Garden. We're going to go to work on that right now, and it will be
      fabulous, as always. But we are not going to have a show which is not AHSA
      recognized. We need the drug rules and we need the Hunter and Jumper rules
      and the rule enforcement and the insurance protection, just for starters.
      I've been an AHSA director for as long as I can remember, and both Alan
      [Balch] and I would never be involved with a show which is not AHSA
      recognized, and I don't think any of our other directors would be either.
      I would never dream of asking favors of people who don't think that the
      exhibitors they represent would support the format we worked out, or who
      believe that the AHSA should not approve it."

Balch reported Mrs. Wheeler's decision to the NHJC Board of Governors when
      called upon on Tuesday evening. He said that lengthy and acrimonious
      discussion followed, which he described as "difficult and hard to believe."
      He said, "Mr. Struzzieri never wavered from his view that the show should
      not be AHSA recognized under the conditions proposed, nor did Leo Conroy or
      Sue Ashe. They're entitled to their opinions, and we are entitled to our
      own. Mine is that I think this situation demonstrates that we need more
      flexibility in several areas of the AHSA rules, to encourage innovative
      thinking to move the entire sport forward. Many of us seem to have
      forgotten that compromises in many rules were made over the decades to
      accommodate the needs of special events like the indoor shows, and
      particularly the Garden, which is so different from any other show as to be
      literally unique. Frankly, we did not expect any resistance at all to what
      we had proposed, and we are surprised by how vehement it is. If this sport
      is to catch up with the rest of the world, we are going to have to embrace
      change, and fortunately, most of us are willing to do that."

Comment

When the AHSA/NHJC makes these decisions so late in the year don't they realize what they have done to the AHSA members that have made decisions based on qualifying. For example I have a neighbor that has shipped her horse to Vermont just to make sure she is(was) getting into New York. If she had known it wasn't necessary she could have stayed in Florida to show and saved THOUSANDS of dollars. I know of someone else that turned down a extravagant offer on her horse because this was going to be her last year to show at New York. Do the higher ups even care??? I hope there is a huge outcry from members.

Comment

Trying to read between the lines of the attached release.....is there any way this is a "payback" to Balch/AHSA for not facilitating the T.S. year end show at November? No hidden agenda in my asking this question, just curious if anyone knows.....

Comment

• Original Poster

Pewter, I don't know - altho the power struggle is evident, and I am a little guy who knows nothing except that in the end it will undoubtedly be us exhibitors that get screwed. Your theory would certainly make sense, except it also states that others, in addition to T.S., took the same view.

Anyone know what's going on here?

And, Hattie - the answer to your question, I think, is a resounding THEY DON'T CARE! They are running a business, not a sport.
            That's the sad part.

Let's see what Towerheads.com has to say in the morning.

[This message has been edited by Goodmudder (edited 08-09-2000).]

Comment

Bertie -

Where did you find that press release?

This is really a sad situation for those who had achieved the goal of qualifying for the Garden.

Comment

The press release was sent to Goodmudder. I just helped to get it posted here.

Comment

• Original Poster

havaklu -

In response to the rumors, I emailed the AHSA today and asked the question. They responded very promptly via email with that press release, which they had just gotten.

But I didn't know how to get it on the board, so Bertie came to the rescue!

Comment

So now there is only going to be Washington and Penn horse show? Yet again the Ahsa Screws up. Tell me again why we pay all of this money to be members of an association that has it's head stuck up it's @ss. Oh yah what ever happen to the Marshal/sterling thing did they ever find a place for that?
                    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Comment

Sad, when I first read the other thread this AM, I was thinking wouldn't it be neat if they didn't necessarily did the full division thing that is so incomprehensible (read: boring) to the average spectators, and instead did a warm up/prep/qualifying type class(es) in the AM, followed by a really spectacular big money class in the evening? With, maybe a really sharp announcer who could explain the hunters to the unlearned?

I mean wouldn't that be the sort of thinking out of the box that hunters need right now? Instead we seem to have bickering. Sounds just like all th major corporations I have ever owrked for. Dilbert in action. Only not the funny side of Dilbert...
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Smiles, Marshall & Sterling finals are at the Duke Benefit in North Carolina in November, I believe. Check out:
                        http://www.hitsshows.com

then, check out the M & S icon.

Comment

That is beyond terrible. Think of all the people that have their hearts set on showing at the Garden! And all the pony kids who worked so hard to get their little mounts qualified only to be told that they can't go after all and a year's worth of work was wasted. This is outrageous...
                          Erin B #1
                          erinbardwell.com

Comment

Pewter - I was thinking along the same lines! I am even more concerned in what this industry is going to be like in 5 years. I can picture it now - a monopoly of the shows by 2 managers. EVERYONE please go to the NHJA website to review the rule changes and provide support for these changes! Even though the NHS hunter division cancellation doesn't affect me it has left a very bad taste in my mouth!

Comment

All I can say is sad, sadder, saddest. It was bad enough when they had to eviscerate the National this year to make it fit.

I vote they move it out to Long Island to the LI Colliseum. No one will come to watch anyway, wherever they hold it; and it's better than New Jersey (Sorry, Garden State - I'm from LI! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])
                              ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                              Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

I think it's terrible that a decision like this was made in the MIDDLE of the year! Beyond that, I'm confused..... T.S. "and the officers of the National Hunter/Jumper Council unanimously felt that the show could not be AHSA recognized"

Does this mean that the show won't be recognized at all, including the Maclay finals?

Will there be jumpers? And if so, will the FEI still be involved? Will the Maclay finals be required to comply with FEI rules?

"Mrs. Wheeler emphasized that the show was not being cancelled or ended. 'We will produce a beautiful show for the Maclay horsemanship finals, and any parts of the schedule other than the Hunters that we can arrange, but the location at this time is undecided."

So, no Garden at all?

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 08-09-2000).]

Comment

Bertie - the decision was made at the END of the qualifying year, that's what I find unbelieveable!

Comment

You're right, Hattie. Terrible.

Personally, tho, we have a rider that could make it to the Maclay finals, and we wouldn't be too upset if the class was somewhere else. It's the hunter riders that had the Garden as their goal that I feel VERY bad for.

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 08-09-2000).]

Comment

Just hunter people ? What are Maclay finals w/o the Garden? NY was my DREAM- totally, and entirely. It kills me to finally be getting close enough to have it be feasible, and the door was slammed right in my face...

I know I'm not the only one- I loved NY, nothing was more incredible. It DOES cost a fortune to qualify, and its ridiculous that we find out now that the insane campaigning is unnecessary. Lovely.

Comment

I would like to reiterate a point made earlier....it is not just the personal disappointment of those that have qualified for these shows that is disturbing (the Garden, M&S finals) - it is the thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars spent by exhibitors all year attempting to qualify which have literally been wasted - I've been showing for 30 years and can't recall ever seeing such a blatant disregard for the competitor as has been evidenced this year. In my opinion we are truly at a point where the whole horse show industry succumbs to the whims of a couple of people managing 99% of the shows.

Comment

Working...
                                        X