• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What age is safe to free jump?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age is safe to free jump?

My filly just turned 2 April 4th!

I haven't free jumped her yet, but I so want to...

When is the perfect age?

She sure does a lot of acrobatic of her own already!

When can I see if she can really put that to good use??
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

I have a very large 3 year old and I have yet to free jump her even though we have started her under saddle.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah I don't want to risk any injuries... so I would love some input on this..
      One of a Kind Studio

Comment

I'm planning on doing some small stuff this summer with my guy that's a day older than yours. He's been begging for work for a long time now and his walks are not as much fun (for me) anymore. He's also going to start ground-driving this summer too.

With the way he charges around the (rocky, steep-hilled) pasture like a maniac and jumping over any bush or obstacle he can find, I don't think mixing a little bit of free jumping (under 2') into his "work" will hurt him. He still has the attention span of a goldfish so we'll be keeping things short and easy at this point.

Comment

At the farm where I used to work, we would start the weanlings with their mamas going around the arena over a ground pole. Yearlings did maybe a 1' vertical, 2 year olds maybe a 2' oxer, 3 year olds we would start to put the jumps up a bit to test them. Granted, these babies would go around and jump maybe 2 or 3 times in each direction. Nothing to break a sweat, just enough to get them interested and be able to see the way they used their bodies. We maybe did 3 or 4 sessions in the spring time with the 2 year olds, that's it.

Comment

I free jumped my mare at about 2 and a half. Very little stuff to introduce her to the idea.. started with trot poles and then small cavellettis.
            I made a chute for her and she got the idea pretty quickly. highest I put a fence was about 2'6 with a tiny wee spread.

Did maybe 2 or 3 sessions over 3 months and havent done it since to be honest.
            Free jumping is not going to really show you waht the horse will be like over fences with a rider.. whole different ball game. So I don't put much stock into what i see when I free jump. It' more about getting them comfortable over poles etc..
            Love and Laughter - 2005 TB Mare - Boss Mare
            Foxfire Lacey - 2007 Half Welsh Superstar
            New Sensation - 1986- 2014 Love you to the moon and back

Comment

I went to a Free-Jumping clinic over the weekend at Hilltop Farm Inc. This question was asked of the clinician (Michael Bragdell). He said that at age 2, he does not jump them more than a few times during that year, and at low heights. The goal at age 2 is to basically to get them used to the chute so they get the "idea" of jump, canter, jump. IIRC, he began with poles on the ground for the demo 2 year old filly and ended with 2 crossrails. At 3 years old, he begins to raise the height of the second jump to nothing exceeding about 3'. I think the demo 3 year old gelding (who was lazy) ended with two 2'-ish verticals. My BO's 3 year old stallion that went ended with jumping the second jump in the chute at about 3'. Try emailing Hilltop and ask to get a copy of the handouts. It shows jump placement and distances. A few other tips, he said you should max out at 8 to 10 runs through the chute (I believe this was for a closed chute which was used - it may be less for an open chute). If you need to make changes or add poles, do it early in the session and don't make changes late in the session. If the horse is good after 5 or 6 times through, then you should stop on a good note. Hope this helps!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

My girl has just had the basic handling, bringing in, brushing, bathing etc so far. Right now she's out in the pasture with other babies her age, growing up.

I hope to begin more stuff later in the year, getting her used to a saddle, and that sort of stuff. She could probably do that now, just wearing it, but I am busy job hunting and possibly moving so I have decided to just let her be for the time being.

Once things get settled towards fall, I may just do some poles as people suggested..and a low low chute thing.

Thanks for the input!

It's fun watching her grow up... it's hard to be patient sometimes... but so worth the wait!
                One of a Kind Studio

Comment

Originally posted by La Gringa View Post
                  My filly just turned 2 April 4th!

I haven't free jumped her yet, but I so want to...

When is the perfect age?

She sure does a lot of acrobatic of her own already!

When can I see if she can really put that to good use??
                  shouldnt jump a horse before its 5 as its bones and musles havent fully developed

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                    shouldnt jump a horse before its 5 as its bones and musles havent fully developed
                    Actually, there has been a few studies that show a moderate amount of stress on the bones is good for long term bone health.

A few short free jumping sessions a month shouldn't hurt her. Like anything, build up to it slowly, and watch her. You know her- you'll know if she's sore or off.
                    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

This year, I free jumped a 2yo and a 3yo (both ponies) for a sale video. The jump was about 2' tall and each jumped it 4-5 times. The gelding actually liked it and was eager for me to catch him the next day! It didn't seem to make a difference at all with the filly. I don't think I would regularly free-jump anything less than four years old. However, I also don't think it would hurt to send youngster over a jump a few times to get an idea of their heart and potential scope. My gosh, they buck higher than the jump I had set up. Both of these guys are from successful pony hunter bloodlines and jumped just the way their papers indicated they would.
                      Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                        This is true. You should also keep them from moving around a lot. I like padded stalls for this purpose.

Moderation in all things is usually a good idea, but this concept goes in both directions.
                        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Ponies?

I'm assuming ponies can start jumping earlier. The Grand Green Pony Champion at Pony Finals(Sparkle Plenty) last year was 5.

Comment

You should wait until the horse is 13, then any bone fusing it was going through will be completed.

DMK starts them way too young. I've seen DMK on a baby before! Terrible. Criminal.
                            Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                              You should wait until the horse is 13, then any bone fusing it was going through will be completed.

DMK starts them way too young. I've seen DMK on a baby before! Terrible. Criminal.
                              You're absolutely right TR. DMK has this 16 year old that she jumps regularly, over 3'6"! Really, he should barely be started under saddle at this point.
                              "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Comment

Look, here's DMK on Aero before I bought him. http://sports.webshots.com/photo/288...48495570xHmdvt

Poor Aero.

Comment

No, he's 17 now so I can get away with the jumping. *whew* Last year was a no go for the jumping.

I consider my riding on Aero to be some of my finest work. But see how badly they go when you wait a year like Tidy does:

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/227...48495570gwUwpH

See how inverted and unspecial he is? Tsk tsk. Of course later she took my suggestion and jumped him and draw reins and was able to save the day.

Comment

Hey NOW! Wait just a cotton pick'n minute! That photo of me and Dodger was at Traders Point in the pre-weanling division. He's 4 months old there. At least I could make mine trot!

Comment

a year, four months... what does it matter? It's all too late.

Comment

Baby Greens anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                        X