• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Numerical scoring in the hunter/eq.... automatic 55?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerical scoring in the hunter/eq.... automatic 55?

I have a bad habit of fidgeting with my left stirrup when I don't ride in my own saddle (that has HS stirrups) and I got nailed for it at our last NCAA show. Our coach talked to the judge and she said that if my foot comes out of the stirrup it's an automatic 55 - but my foot never came out of the stirrup... I just can't seem to get my foot where it feels "right" - and she said she kept waiting for it to come out and it never did. I've never heard this before??? But I've never really had anyone explain numerical scoring to me, ether. I just know I'm the queen of 79 - 81 first round scores and then selling myself out for a whopping 52 second round score like I did in the last junior hunter classic I entered before aging out! I've just learned to laugh at myself because I'm special like that

However, this was my show where we were just focusing on me not being so serious and laughing things off (I tend to get in a wad for NCAA, but not IHSA for some odd reason) and as I was cantering to the last fence (biggest oxer on course and I drew a horse that's scope was questionable! ) telling myself this is a nice canter, keep this canter, pray he can jump this high and keep this easy canter.... took my leg off for a second and the horse broke for barely a trot step or two, right back into the canter and found a perfect distance to the jump....................... and the judge said she was more bothered by my foot?

55 is a very standard score for the break in gait, regardless of the circumstances. Scores in the 50-60 range are also common for a lost stirrup in the equitation.

Maybe the judge glanced at her card and noticed her symbol for the stirrup before she saw the trot symbol? Or maybe she thought it was more constructive to mention the stirrup, since that's a habit you can fix? Hard to say, but the score sounds about right, either way.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah I just found it odd that she said she would have scored me comparably for the stirrup adjusting too. I honestly wasn't even expecting a score that high with a break in gait, which was obviously my fault because the horse was right there for me as long as my leg was on and like any tried and true schoolie, he wasn't about to do anything he wasn't asked for. But it was a great round aside from the approach to the last fence haha.

Comment

She may have felt that with all your messing around with the stirrup, that you really didn't have it. If it was enough to be distracting, that plus the break in gait would explain your score. Equitation is all about being smooth, and if you're fussing with your stirrup all the way around the course, that's not going to be very smooth.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

I won't address the "55", because others have had some good input. But OP, I used to be a "fiddler" too. You just never seem to get your foot to feel "just right" in the stirrup. One thing that may help you is this technique: Pick a specific point in the arena (light pole, gate, etc). Resist the urge to fiddle with the stirrup until you get to that point. Allow yourself to adjust your foot position at only that point. Deal with it everywhere else in the ring. You'll find that you won't be so distracted all the time if you only allow yourself an adjustment at specified points.
          http://patchworkfarmga.com

Comment

Since this is equitation I can understand her commenting on your foot since it a pretty big fault if it is that distracting. In addition, she probably felt that messing with your stirrup caused the break in gate.
            Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
            Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

With regards to your stirrup adjusting: make sure your stirrups are short enough to keep your heel under your hip then seperate and lift your toes in your boot....scrunched toes equals tension which is probably contributing to your uncomfortable placement in the stirrup.

Comment

I'm not sure about the automatic 55, but I have a story to share.

About 2years ago I was in a really large and as a cimpeteive eq class as the 2'6" level can get. Over the first jump I lost my right sturrip because my greenie overly cracked his back, and then over the second jump my left sturrip leather broke. So now I had no sturrps. Around the corner I yanked out my left sturrip so it wasn't banging my horse. During all of this I was still cantering. I finished the rest of the course without sturrips and those were the best 6 jumps of my life. I ended up getting 6th out if 42. I'm not quite sure how that happend, but I guess my trip was memorable.

Comment

I agree with MHM. It was probably the break in gait that earned you the 55 more than the stirrup. I had the same thing happen in IHSA. Perfect trip, better than everyone else's except that we fell out of the canter for a stride coming out of the corner to the last line. Ended up being pinned 6th behind the girl with the 911 long spot.

Losing your stirrup in IHSA/NCAA equitation is a major fault. If the judge remembered you fidgeting that much I'm sure it was really distracting to her. She may have thought "yup she's losing it" and marked her card. When she looked back up she just assumed you'd lost it and picked it back up by then.

My advice would be to take the HS stirrups OFF your saddle until you can go a whole course without fidgeting in other stirrups. Borrow peacocks and fillis stirrups from someone else at the barn. Better yet, don't even ride in your own saddle when you're schooling for NCAA. You've got to be able to sit in any saddle and feel confortable immediately. My IHSA coach used to make us practice in the school's saddles. We were only allowed to adjust our stirrups on the ground. Once you got on she made you ride with the choice you made on the ground. No adjusting. If your stirrups were uneven, too short, too long, TOO BAD. You had to deal and go ride the course. After a few times I could get my stirrups pretty much perfect before I got on and if I didn't I could make do with a less than perfect stirrup in the ring.

Comment

Just a question to chime in here not regarding the scoring...why can't you ride in your own saddles? It just doesn't seem like that would be a big deal. How do you deal with saddles that don't fit you?

Comment

Originally posted by Rio Blanco View Post
                      .......... and the judge said she was more bothered by my foot?
                      In equitation, the foundation for your position starts with your base of support - your feet in the stirrups. That is a very fundamental position error which can be penalized heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by hype View Post
                        Just a question to chime in here not regarding the scoring...why can't you ride in your own saddles? It just doesn't seem like that would be a big deal. How do you deal with saddles that don't fit you?
                        The horse is tacked up well before your class with a saddle that fits HIM. After you draw your horse you have only a few minutes before your class to go find him, adjust your stirrups, and get on. There is no time to swap saddles for everyone. In addition, schools put saddles on their horses that fit the HORSES, not necessarily the rider.

Part of the challenge of IHSA is to ride well in tack that might be way too small or way too big for you. It's the luck of the draw and doing the best you can with what you have.
                        Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Wow, didn't know that. What kind of saddles do the schools usually have, are they good ones or bad? I would imagine that kids who are pretty normally built have a huge advantage in this type of competition. Hard to ride in a 2 flap when you really need a 4 flap or a 0 flap.

Comment

Wow, didn't know that. What kind of saddles do the schools usually have, are they good ones or bad? I would imagine that kids who are pretty normally built have a huge advantage in this type of competition. Hard to ride in a 2 flap when you really need a 4 flap or a 0 flap.
                            Honestly? A lot of us who do/did IHSA, especially in the lower levels, have never had enough money to own a saddle that fits us that specifically! The biggest tack-related issue I ever had at a hunt seat IHSA show (aside from an overly loose girth, which is always fun on a strange horse!) came from the hunter habit of piling six pads up under a saddle that's already too narrow for the horse, then placing that saddle WAY forward on the horse's shoulder. It is next to impossible to equitate when your saddle is tipped backwards significantly!

Now Western? That's a whole 'nother ball game. I used to carry my own saddle to certain schools because they didn't have any saddle whose stirrups would go up short enough for me!

Comment

When I was on an IHSA team, the saddles used by most of the schools were ok, but definitely not super nice. Mostly cheap, older Pessoas.
                              "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Comment

It varies by school. My school had a mix of Crosby Equilibriums, Pessoa AO's, and old Collegiate saddles that were owned by the school. For the IHSA shows we hosted we'd try to use student's personal saddles on the Open and Intermediate horses so they'd have Butets and Bevals. Sad but I'll admit the walk trot canter and walk trot guys usually got the less nice saddles. Most of ours were 17". I'm teeny so I never found a saddle that was too small for me but I did have to wrap stirrups and rode in HUGE saddles sometimes. I loved drawing ponies because they usually came equipped with shorter stirrups.

The worst was when I drew a monster of a warmblood over fences that just dropped his head and PULLED. The saddle on him was a Stuebben that had to be 18" and the bridle had flat reins... no lacing at all. Worst of all I swear someone armor-alled all of that tack the night before. I almost slid over the saddle trying to get on. I jumped around on the buckle because the reins just slid through my hands and held on for dear life around corners. It was scary. But that's the way it goes. You can't complain because the saddle is too big or puts you in the wrong position.

Comment

At my school for IHSA we each put our own saddles on the horse we were assigned to hold.

If something was really, really inappropriate or didn't fit they'd have us change, but mostly you just had to ride in what was there.

Anything from ancient hard as a rock Crosby (mine!) to fancy Devoucoux/Butet/whatever to some unnatural Argentinian thing.

For IDA we had a few school dressage saddles, a few personally owned dressage saddles, and a few Close Contacts for some poor unlucky soul.

Comment

Working...
                                  X