• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When people don't pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people don't pay

So I'm sure that this is coming up more often these days --- when someone is not paying for either board or training of their horse(s).

1) How long do you give it?

2) What do you do if they continue to not pay?

3) At what point do you have the "right" (if at all) to sell their horse for the money owed?

I'm a boarder not a trainer, but I would think you would not have the right to sell their horse. But if it is your barn, you have the right to kick them out. Are the people that are slow paying or not paying also the most demanding? If so how much better would things be if they were gone.

Comment

Depends on the state that you are in (and the laws for each state) as well as what your contract allows.

The contract at my current barn specifies that the owner can put a lien on the horse and sell it to recover monies owed for board or agreed upon services if those charges are not paid. The specific language says something like, "the manager may, at the manager's discretion and without process of law, retain said horse(s) until the indebtedness is paid in full and/or sell horses as provided for by law to recover such unpaid fees.."
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

A business owner DOES have every right to sieze something placed in their care/custody/control when it is not paid for. It is sometimes called a mechanics lien or similar.

Each state has specific laws governing abandonment and siezure for non payment. You must abide by them as business owner.

Typically there must be a written contract and that contract should spell out how long non payment will be tolerated and what steps will be taken after that point to sieze the horse for non payment.

Most contracts also stipulate the horse does not leave their care/custody/control or thier property unless all outstanding bills are paid.

It's usually about 90 days when the stable owner can start procedings to sieze for non payment...but, again, that varies from state to state. Almost always, after that 90 days, the owner must be notified by certified mail and given a final deadline for payment after which the horse is forfeit.
        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

We're dealing with this at my barn. We're actually a club, and members can board. I'm on the board of directors, and we have a couple of people who are behind. After talking to an attorney, there are a few things we can do. First, we can deny them access to the property since we're a club and they're not paid members. We can also put their horses into a locked situation (safely of course - as in locking a gate to a pen where they're outside with water, hay and shelter) where if they did come out, they're not going to be able to ride. We have also turned their account over to a collection agency. Now, according to the boarding agreement, they're not supposed to be able to take the animals away. However, we also feel as though we'd rather the horses just be gone than to keep feeding them for free. These are not horses that would be worth selling to try to recoup expenses.

Each state has various laws, and it may also depend somewhat on what your boarding agreement says. Check with an attorney - it will be money well spent.
          A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I'm amazed that barns don't take in a security deposit, like you would if you were renting an apartment. In fact, renters usually have to give a deposit AND first and last month's rent, so it's like 3 months up front.
            Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

i have a couple of boarders here. Board is due on the first with a grace period til the 5th. If that check is not here or they have not contacted me about why it isn't, you can bet I'm at the courthouse filing papers and getting things started.
              I'm willing to work with people but they need to let me know what's going on. Dont just not pay.
              I'm not running a horse rescue out here.
              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Originally posted by Flash44 View Post
                I'm amazed that barns don't take in a security deposit, like you would if you were renting an apartment. In fact, renters usually have to give a deposit AND first and last month's rent, so it's like 3 months up front.
                So am I. If I were to start a boarding barn, I would require a deposit and the first and last months rent. Maybe it is going overboard, but this would give barn owners a little bit of comfort from boarders who quit paying.

Comment

I think you are talking about every BO nightmare. Most BO really like the animals and people the deal with.

It is very hard to go the legal route, but BO's can't afford to support the world.

Every state has different laws.
                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash44 View Post
                    Don't forget a criminal background check and references!

Comment

I think it depends on the situation.

If a boarder that has always paid and suddenly loses their job, or has a major illness etc... that hat is beyond their control, then I think the BO should work something out with them.

I think the main thing is communication. Maybe the non-payer if they have a good history before this, can work off owed board or trade equipment or some other service to the BO in exchange for a short term non payment.

I think in the circumstances today, people need to be willing to work with each other. Sometimes it's beyond a person's control what happens in their job or health, and they have every good will intention to pay their bills.
                      One of a Kind Studio
                      Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Comment

I'm also a boarder, but like mentioned before... it really depends on the situation. Why aren't they paying? How far behind are they, etc.?

I owe my BO my life right now! I lost my job AND got in a car accident and am now a month and a half (about $400) behind on board! I'm doing everything I can to make ends meet and my horse (since he's leased) will be leaving this Friday.

My BO has been overly nice about. He "reminds" me about once a week by saying something then dropping it. He knows there is no point making me feel awful. I just can't pay it.

He'll get the one month on Friday and the rest as soon as I get a paycheck (May at the latest ) And I fully intend on adding some interest onto that because I feel so horrible. In the mean time, I will be leaving my tack at the barn as "collateral" so he doesn't feel like I'm running out and he'll never see me again.

I would sit down an talk to the boarder. Can she make a partial payment? (Getting enough for hay is better than nothing.) Can she work around the barn for a few hours a week? Does she have some "extra" tack you can take/sell to make up some of the difference? If she's like a lot of people in tough times, she will do whatever she can to make it work. If she's not willing to work with you in any way, then it's time to get serious and think about some of the other things mentioned.
                        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

Originally posted by La Gringa View Post
                          I think in the circumstances today, people need to be willing to work with each other. Sometimes it's beyond a person's control what happens in their job or health, and they have every good will intention to pay their bills.
                          Yes, this is very nice in theory, but please realize that not every BO has the means to accomodate this. Have you seen the news re: home foreclosures? If the banks can't support people going through a rough spot, can a small-time BO really be expected to afford this? I think a conscientious BO will try to be flexible, but please remember, it's just like any other business where the business owner has to meet their own bottom line.

I am amazed at the folks who ask for board/training discounts. Do these folks do the same thing at their doctor or dentist's office? At the grocery store? At their kid's private school? Why don't BOs get the same respect?
                          Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

Originally posted by Haalter View Post
                            Yes, this is very nice in theory, but please realize that not every BO has the means to accomodate this. Have you seen the news re: home foreclosures? If the banks can't support people going through a rough spot, can a small-time BO really be expected to afford this? I think a conscientious BO will try to be flexible, but please remember, it's just like any other business where the business owner has to meet their own bottom line.

Why don't BOs get the same respect?
                            People often think that because they are paying large sums of money for board, that BOs are making lots of money. They tend to think along the lines of "I'm paying BO $x a month, but my horses feed and bedding only costs $x so BO is profitting from all the rest." That is not the case! They often forget all the "other" less obvious expenses that go along with a boarding and/or training business. Those include: taxes (real estate, excise, payroll, etc.), utilities, licenses & permits (local & state), equipment (the drag for the arena, tractor for a variety of jobs, dump truck, etc.), dumpster/trash hauling, manure removal, supplies (feed & water buckets, hoses, jumps, repellent for the automatic fly system, etc.), repairs & maintenance (a huge variety: fences, jumps, feed buckets, new shingles on buildings, stall mats, etc.), and so much more!

Comment

So I'm with the crew who say that you should work things out with people if they otherwise have had no problems before. Times are tough and if you can afford to work with someone on a payment problem you should. But only if you CAN! Some BO's don't have the means to work with people, they are in a ship sinking just as much as the rest.
                              HOWEVER, the things that annoy me are the clients that don't pay you when you ride their horses.
                              I for one would get a contract signed if I got a new client but I know people who don't and they don't get paid for weeks! Money adds up after a while and then the people want to complain about the huge check they have to write you. To me, and I would say this to my clients, "I come and ride your horses when you need/want me to, shouldn't you pay me when I need/want to be paid?"
                              What would you guys do in this situation? What about the people who aren't BO's they are just catch riders who have clients whom they ride horses for and that's how they make their living?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrs+eq View Post
                                Don't forget a criminal background check and references!
                                How about credit check vs. criminal record. Of course that is important but people can have minor infringments and still be able to pay their bills.... Credit score, however, would be MUCH more important in assessing the ability to pay your bills.

Comment

Originally posted by katie16 View Post
                                  People often think that because they are paying large sums of money for board, that BOs are making lots of money. They tend to think along the lines of "I'm paying BO $x a month, but my horses feed and bedding only costs $x so BO is profitting from all the rest." That is not the case! They often forget all the "other" less obvious expenses that go along with a boarding and/or training business. Those include: taxes (real estate, excise, payroll, etc.), utilities, licenses & permits (local & state), equipment (the drag for the arena, tractor for a variety of jobs, dump truck, etc.), dumpster/trash hauling, manure removal, supplies (feed & water buckets, hoses, jumps, repellent for the automatic fly system, etc.), repairs & maintenance (a huge variety: fences, jumps, feed buckets, new shingles on buildings, stall mats, etc.), and so much more!
                                  I agree with you. In addition, even if you ARE making money on your boarding business, which I know most people are NOT.... Why shouldn't you be allowed too. If I agree to pay $850 a horse then that is what I agree to pay, even if one of those is a small pony who lives on air and is out much of the day. My point is, whether or not the boarding business makes money DOES NOT mean you can default on your payment agreement, you should have discussed it up front, once you agree, you have to pay no matter how well you think the barn is making out. It is tough times but it is for everyone, so if you are feeling it, chances are the farm owner and trainer are too. I just feel bad for the horses, they can't just be disposed of....

Comment

There are Agister laws in 49 of the states and dictate what a BO may or may not do under theses circumstances.

In California they are complicated, and it is hard for a BO to do anything, but in Ohio for instance it does not require much more than a registered letter to the owner and a public notice that the horse is being sold.

Check your state Agister lien laws.

Comment

Originally posted by little miss View Post
                                      So I'm sure that this is coming up more often these days --- when someone is not paying for either board or training of their horse(s).

1) How long do you give it?
                                      In reality over the decades, there's been a variety of approaches. I've actually taken folks to court and got my money plus all costs, I've reached private agreement and been paid over time and I've also ended up owning some very nice horses.

Depends on the circumstances. Strictly speaking my customers pay a month in advance. (though practically I have some long standing customers that always pay when they see me and I'm happy to let them run up a bill for a few months). However if someone just defaulted without saying anything, then I'd approach them and say something if I was concerned. Then it would depend on the reason why and whether it was just a simple oversight or if this was a deliberate intent or they were in financial difficulty. Then it would depend on what the horse was like and in particular it's value and if I was remotely interested in taking possession of it.

Then it would depend on the circumstances and if I was concerned that I was going to get dumped on, then I'd enforce my legal agreement and rights quickly.

2) What do you do if they continue to not pay?
                                      See above. I'd always start by talking to them and seeking an agreement to pay off the debt. If I thought they were in real difficulty then I'd reach some sort of deal whereby they paid over time with something whereby the horse came to my ownership well before it reached its market value.

3) At what point do you have the "right" (if at all) to sell their horse for the money owed?
                                      Ordinarily, unless it was a horse I wanted either for myself or to sell, I'd take action long before I got to that stage.

My contracts say:

Credit Terms and Payment: Billing is monthly on the last day Sunday of each month and is for a period ordinarily one month in advance. Payment is to be made within 7 days of receipt of an Account to Pay. Late payment fee of £10 per month is applicable to overdue accounts. Accounts overdue by more than 30 days may necessitate recovery through County or Small Claims Court. It is understood that in such event that the Owner will be obligated to pay any legal fees and other costs incurred to the Proprietors of Flodden Edge Farm Riding and Driving Centre

Termination of Contract: This contract will consider to have been terminated in the event of any breach by either of the parties, by mutual consent and agreement or by giving 60 days notice of termination and on payment of all Livery fees and other costs due.

Comment

Originally posted by Haalter View Post

I am amazed at the folks who ask for board/training discounts. Do these folks do the same thing at their doctor or dentist's office? At the grocery store? At their kid's private school? Why don't BOs get the same respect?

I think with today's climate of massive job losses, things are different now. Have you ever lost your job and had no income? Have you had a catastrophic car accident?

If the BO can't accomodate, then they should try to help the owner find a place to keep the horses that they can afford, or can arrange a working exchange or something.

Banks are working with people today.. they have to. They are giving people options to reduce payments, there are programs to help people in trouble. We are in a near depression people. Wake up.. The banks don't win if they take the houses... they end up losing too.

Good honest people are being majorly affected by this every single day right now.

It's going to have impacts on everyone.

Maybe the horse owner is trying to sell and get rid of the horse to pay the BO, but with the current market, horse sales are down too. People are abandoning horses and dogs, and houses etc.. I think if an owner is doing everything in their power to pay, people should work with them.

It's a very bad time right now. Sure not every BO will be able to do this, they won't be able to afford the feed etc... but in cases where there are field board options or the ability to exchange work for board.. that option should be looked at for people that are just in hardship right now.
                                        One of a Kind Studio
                                        Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Comment

Working...
                                        X