• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The jumps are IN the ring, my dear ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jumps are IN the ring, my dear ...

Lovely warmblood chestnut jumper mare (LJM) is 8 now, and schools 4'3" comfortably at home. At shows, well maybe I'll get lucky and maybe I won't. Today, LJM was horror-ified by the very scary people on the the hill.

In the past it has been the people in the lawn chairs, or the kid hanging on the rail. She's not an easy ride to begin with, but when she does not find some life threatening distraction to be concerned about, she jumps whatever is in front of her. She doesn't stop or spook at the fences, but is sometimes so obsessed with scary somethings outside the ring I can barely get her to agree to go.

Is there hope for LJM ? OR should I just shoot her (not likely, but tempting nonetheless.) FYI she does not like dressage, and does not find hunter rings to be any more attractive than jumpers. If anything, speed, etc. makes her pat attention better in the jumpers. She will not kill you on a foxhunt, but you will feel like it is a definite possibility.

Her behavior seemed silly young horse nonsense, Once Upon A Time.... But now, well you can only jump a combination from a standstill up to a certain height, and then some sort of forward movement is required. Not to mention, you can't pin or win if you come to a COMPLETE HALT (once or twice) on course.

Advice, suggestions?

Hang on, she's not 9 or 10 That seems to be a nice age for them to actually grow up

Comment

How's her flat work? We have a couple of guys here who if allowed to let their minds wander outside of the ring and the job that is there, will spook, spin, bolt, stop, you name it. By spending the time at home to get their flatwork really, really good and be borderline obsessive that they BEND to the inside and stay focused, they are much better at shows. But you have to do the work on the flat to show a difference anywhere else.

Also, consider possible physical issues that might make her SO spooky. Have you had her eyes looked at? Have you had her scoped and/or treated for ulcers? Is her body in good, working order? Pain sometimes manifests itself in strange ways.

She may also just need her butt kicked. Possibly because she has been doing this for so long (like you said, it seemed like silly young horse nonsense) that she thinks it is acceptable. You might have to take her in the ring and put the fear of God in her when she reacts poorly (some horses do definitely spook for the sake of spooking). Can you take her in some lower level classes where you can focus on the bad behavior between the jumps and not have big fences to deal with, too?
      Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
        be borderline obsessive that they BEND to the inside and stay focused, they are much better at shows. But you have to do the work on the flat to show a difference anywhere else.
        YB may be on to something. When I took my old-enough-to-know-better mare to our first rated show, there was something on one end of the arena that was definitely a horse-ivour. She would NOT go down there, no way, no how. My trainer had me keep her bent way further than normal to the inside and she was fine. The one time I didn't bend her, well, lets just say that was a quick way to spend THAT entry $$.
        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

The key is to continue work so she uses the thinking side of her brain First over her reactive side of her brain.

You don't say how you react when she pulls this.

I just got done reschooling a coming 8 year old WB who was pulling this stuff with his owner. Sure he would try a few stupid things with me undersaddle but my demeanor never changes. "we are going forward and this is what we are doing.... His owner on the other hand would get flustered, tense etc. She's a good rider too but her tenseness would convey to him and they would just feed off each other.

My own 8 year old WB gelding will pull a bolt some times and he's immediately told to cut the crap and move foward. End of story. Consistency and exposure go a long way to getting her brain to think and listen to you and not fixate on other things.

Comment

you should try putting fuzzies (like the halter fuzzies) on his cheek pieces so he has to focus more. I did this with my guy for a summer of showing and schooling and then he was fine! its just enough to make them focus more!
            "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

It sounds like while she jumps big she isn't FORWARD off your leg or obedient. Especially since she decides to stop and stare. You might try having someone else school and show her and see if their timing is better.
              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Differential equations are your friend

A horse working on complex math problems doesn't have enough brain-power left over to worry about what's going on outside the ring. Your mare is a redhead, a mare, a young warmblood and a game athlete, so she needs really, really tough problems to keep her occupied.

But there's more. In general, yellowbritches nailed it. But to be even smarter, think about this logic: When she is doing what you want, she gets a tactful, mentally uncomplicated ride. When her mind wanders, you hurl a problem at her. She must change direction, gait, do something unexpected at your request. When she says "yes ma'am," go back to "leave her alone" ride.

A top Western Pleasure guy explained this technique to me as a way to make sure those horses cruise along with a minimal ride in all situations. Your jumper needs to be just as broke. You can't spend your time preventing the spook or micromanaging her on course since your job of just getting around the course is (or will be) hard enough. She should find it much easier to listen to you than to do anything else.

She sounds great! She's smart enough and athletic enough to "multitask"--doing her job while looking out for other things as well. You just need to get even smarter and you'll have a really nice partnership.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

That's frustrating behaviour! I had one like that who grew out of it as he got older. At age 8 he was spooky about everything around him (but NEVER the jumps in front of him, thankfully). At age 10 he was basically a schoolmaster at the shows. Lots of mental development in that time.

Have you tried stuffing her ears? How about trying a shadow roll? I've seen various combinations of fluffy halter stuff on bridles for that very reason, and had clinicians suggest it for my spookier horses every now and again.

Comment

While we're on the subject of spooking, what is it with horses and freshly bloomed azalea bushes and wisteria? All three of mine about flipped out this weekend when they went up to my ring and first saw the newly bloomed azaleas in the tree line along the ring. They do this every year. Apparently, blooming azaleas and wisteria are fire-snorting, horse eating monsters.

Comment

While it looks stupid, my daughter cured my jumper by putting her in full cup blinkers (like at the race track). Only allowed the horse to focus on the fence and rider input.

She doesn't use them anymore and the horse goes around without any spooking or "lookies".

Comment

After the usual "check for ulcers, maybe some magnesium and B vitamin supplements" stuff, I'd say two things:

As a WB she IS still young. Ride her like a greenie -- dictating ride, always bending, asking for subtle transitions, etc.

Make it more challenging. Since she's in the jumpers, you don't have to worry about the beauty-pageant strides. So ask her to change things up a bit sometimes if it's a safe option. If she has to listen to you or have a bad time, she'll eventually maybe listen to you. Of course, ask nicely, but nice can still be quite firm <grin>.

Good luck...

Comment

• Original Poster

LJM

Shoot me in the head -- I just wrote a long post and my computer ate it !! Arghh...

I will summarize, as enjoytheride mentioned, she is not FORWARD and OFF MY LEG. This has been a problem for a long time. She went to a cowboy after she was started, when it became apparent the Rider was an inconsequential figure in her life. Cowboy said "Good Luck. She's tough" when she came home. He did a good job getting her accepting of the trailer, and for that I am extremely grateful.

The whole concept of "Submission" is not in her paradigm. And if she ever finds the Human Idiot who put it into the FEI rules she will gladly straighten them out. She does not like bits, but is back in one now as the hackamore is just oh-so-not-useful when/if she gets seriously spooked/distracted. She has a fat tongue, a low-ish palate, and not quite straight jaw.

She also has that lovely warmblood 'not quite string-halty' thing with the back legs. Has never been shod behind without drugs. In fact, she is just so sensitive to pulling, twisting etc. that I don't think it is even possible. Must be careful putting on back boots, which she needs as she does interfere behind. She is aggressive in her stall (not with me, I will kill her and she knows it) and unhappy with confinement, constraint, or restraint of any kind. Overall, she can de described as defensive.

Because she does not cotton to being dictated to, it has made the "Differential Equations are Your Friend" methodology shaky, at best. She doesn't like being told what to do, so overwhelming her with directives can lead to her getting angry and frustrated. I try to push her into her 'stretch' zone without getting her into a 'panic' zone where she will not be able to learn. But that keeps us in on a dangerously narrow strip called "Who's in Charge Here Land?" So I have to be very careful with that.

Higher level riders than I have had less success dealing with her spooking, they were unable to get her around the course at all. 1,2,3 fences, then no deal. In fact, she wouldn't pick up the canter in the warm up sometimes until after she'd jumped something. So I don't think a higher level rider is going to solve the problem. They seemed to have no better solutions for "forward, off the leg" than I.

Right now, I am thinking of trying some blinkers, shadow rolls etc.

Gotta run.

Comment

Try depo. She sounds a bit mare-ish.

Comment

What is her breeding? I'm sure I owned her brother!

Comment

I think I own her mother...

Comment

Question: How much time does she get for turnout? If she doesn't like stalls or restaint of any kind, is it possible that her life attitude may change with pasture turnout 24/7? She may get a little beat up if she is out with other alpha mares. But better her than you. I've seen many horses become much better citizens after spending extensive time out in the pasture.

Comment

No advice here

[QUOTE= She will not kill you on a foxhunt, but you will feel like it is a definite possibility. [/QUOTE]

hehehe

Comment

Definitely try shadow rolls on the side. And, she DOES sound like she might be a candidate for "hormone therapy."

Good Luck.
                                      Seb
                                      Aca-Believe it!!

Comment

Whether or not she LIKES math is inconsequential

Judging from your posts and your cowboy's opinion, she does sound tough.

So try anything and everything. But could it be that you have given in before she has? It sounds like she has a list of rules for your relationship that is as long as your arm. But you are capable of changing those. After all, you did cross out the rule that says she gets to threaten you in the stall.

It may help to decide that you don't care how strenuously she objects to something you know she can do. She doesn't have to LIKE anything you ask of her, but she does have to give it the old college try. It sounds like she has some legitimate physical reasons that make her think she's best off with the "Say no first and ask questions later" strategy. Still, she has to try.

I'm not saying you ought to pick a fight where someone gets hurt. But it may help to create a scenario in which she comes to understand that things will get worse and worse for her until she tries to do as you ask. Maybe you guys are in a stand-off of sorts. This doesn't take violence, per se. You'd be amazed at how many horses change their ways when you make it clear that you have all damned day to get something done.

Did your cowboy get a chance to fix the behind the leg issue? If not, that may be the under saddle place to start. It's hard to get anything done when they won't go forward.

In any case, I don't mean to question your skill or judgement. I'm just a English-riding fan of the way that western people define "broke" and how the best of them really get inside a horse's head to get that done.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                        X