• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Took a header off a greenie...what to do about my GPA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a header off a greenie...what to do about my GPA?

So last Wednesday I was mounting my 2y/o DWB (it was his....4th ride) I had a ground person and he had been lunged for about a half hour before hand and had some drugs in him...He was perfectly quiet for his first 3 rides but for whatever reason, when I got on him (Swung my leg over...stood in the stirrups for a few seconds) when I sat...he exploded into bucking...basically knocked my ground person over and went flying across the arena...I didn't have my balance...(behind the motion a tad) and came off...and landed squarely on the back of my neck and head....passed out for about 2 minutes or so. Took a lovely visit to the ER where I was in the Trama Unit in a neck and back brace for the night...along with a gazillion ct scans among other things...Anyways! Besides a concussion and some bruising on the neck, I'm okay....now my question is...while my GPA doesn't squeak and is in perfectly fine looking condition I'm not going to ride in it anymore. However I now need a new helmet! How is GPA about replacing helmets when you fall and what do you need to show them as proof of purchase? (ie; reciept etc.) As of right now I have my CO hunt cap and my CO Skull cap left to ride in and goodness knows neither of those would fit in at a hunter show!

I would definitely look into it but I think for $50.00? GPA will replace the helmet after a fall if you send it back to them. I thought it might be required that you register it to do that but thinking about it, I think the receipt would suffice. Glad you're okay. Good luck with him!

Comment

Wow, glad everyone's okay. Frightening episode.

Comment

Glad u are okay! Do you still have your warranty information that came in the box?? If not just contact the company and they should help you.

May I ask why you were riding your 2y.o. DWB, anyway? The warmbloods grow a LOT slower (physically AND mentally) than the TBs, QHs, etc. Perhaps this is your boy's way of saying "wait til I'm 3 or 4 to start me".

Comment

Originally posted by warmbloodzrock View Post
          Glad u are okay! Do you still have your warranty information that came in the box?? If not just contact the company and they should help you.

May I ask why you were riding your 2y.o. DWB, anyway? The warmbloods grow a LOT slower (physically AND mentally) than the TBs, QHs, etc. Perhaps this is your boy's way of saying "wait til I'm 3 or 4 to start me".
          Many people back their horses for a few rides while they are young and then turn them out for another year or so to finish growing. Just because she is sitting on it doesn't mean she's entering it in the 1st years at the end of the summer.

My young WB mare is on the same schedule. She's getting 6-9 rides now as a 2 year old and then nothing but manners and ground work for another year.
          Originally posted by tidy rabbit
          Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper View Post
            Many people back their horses for a few rides while they are young and then turn them out for another year or so to finish growing. Just because she is sitting on it doesn't mean she's entering it in the 1st years at the end of the summer.

My young WB mare is on the same schedule. She's getting 6-9 rides now as a 2 year old and then nothing but manners and ground work for another year.
            As long as thats ALL shes doing

Comment

I'm less concerned about backing a 2yo WB that I am about the "drugs". Why? Which drug? I would lay odds the drug was a player in the explosion. If it was ace, that has a reputation for either being very good, or causing a horse to suddenly blow out of it, violently, for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbloodzrock View Post
                As long as thats ALL shes doing
                Agreed

Originally posted by JB View Post
                I'm less concerned about backing a 2yo WB that I am about the "drugs". Why? Which drug? I would lay odds the drug was a player in the explosion. If it was ace, that has a reputation for either being very good, or causing a horse to suddenly blow out of it, violently, for no apparent reason.
                I skimmed over the drug part...

As to the original question, I thought it was more like $150 to replace the helmet, and it couldn't be more than a year or two old. I'd call the place where you purchased the helmet. They should have the details for you and be able to tell you if you are eligible.

And maybe a $50 plastic troxel for the rest of the baby-breaking season ?
                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

• Original Poster

Agreed

I skimmed over the drug part...

As to the original question, I thought it was more like $150 to replace the helmet, and it couldn't be more than a year or two old. I'd call the place where you purchased the helmet. They should have the details for you and be able to tell you if you are eligible.

And maybe a $50 plastic troxel for the rest of the baby-breaking season ?

He is 2...but he's from Holland and their seasons are different over there so he turns 3 in August or something silly. I'm just w/t him for about 10 minutes..working on steering at the walk mainly and voice commands....I'm also about 115lb soaken wet.

As for the "drugs" part...he had a little ace in him...like I said...I had 3 rides prior to Wednesday in him and he was perfectly fine. My guess was maybe I sat down a little too quickly and he had a cold back? I dunno.
                  And last but not least, there is no way in helllll that I'm wearing a plastic troxel to break a young horse in....if you saw the difference between the shock absorbtion of a basically...foam troxel and a $400+ GPA you'd understand.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
                    And last but not least, there is no way in helllll that I'm wearing a plastic troxel to break a young horse in....if you saw the difference between the shock absorbtion of a basically...foam troxel and a $400+ GPA you'd understand.
                    It was always my understanding that all ASTM certified helmets are created equal as far as protection.

I ride in GPA and GR8s, but I also don't break babies.

Comment

Agreed

That sounds a lot more correct, sorry I was going from memory. I think it's my new cell phone insurance that's $50 for a replacement.

Wow, i have too much going on in my head right now haha. I need a vacation.

Comment

Shouldn't have to use drugs to break a young horse in either.

Comment

ASTM-SEI certified is ASTM-SEI certified. A certified Troxel can save your head just like a GPA.

I really am sorry to say this, but if you feel the need to ace a young horse just to get on, then there is a lot missing from his prep work. Ace is not to be taken lightly. A horse blowing through it can be a whole heckuva lot more dangerous of an animal than if he were allowed to have his full mental capacity to deal with whatever "got" him.

Comment

Apparently Troxels may be safer than GPAs according to a post on this thread.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ght=gpa+troxel

Comment

As someone else said there was some sort of study done that showed the Troxel may do a BETTER job then any of the other $$$ helmets.

I too rode in GPA's only until I came across the IRH Elite but a certified helmet is a certified helmet regardless of price.

Comment

Why are we aceing the baby to break him? I've started several horses and ponies and NEVER ever would use ACE or any drug to alter the mindset of a baby....I want them fully functioning. And I agree, if you have to drug them to get on there's a lot of prep work that hasn't been done and you need to take a few steps back, or pump the breaks.

Sorry, that got a bit of a bug up my butt. Continue.....
                                "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Comment

Ace is funny stuff, as someone else mentioned. I used to work for a vet who used it as a pre-surgical relaxant, and the reactions to it could sometimes be in direct opposition to what it was SUPPOSED to do. And more than once I saw the same animal react completely differently on two different "ace" occasions.

Comment

Hate to tell ya, but the GPA is mostly white styrofoam inside...I know because my hubby ran over mine with the truck this weekend...only 3 months old of course....it has basically the same stuff inside as a troxel, except that 2'' wide strip of metal at the top....oh, and the GPA logo.... sooo much safer, i don't think so....

Comment

An approved helmet is an approved helmet. They both meet or exceed the standards.

I actually took a HAMMER to my Troxel this weekend. I wanted to get rid of it since it's old and doesn't really fit but thought I'd play around with it, see how it's put together, etc. before I threw it out. The hammer did crack it when I took off the plastic shell, put it on it's side, and slammed the hammer into it. It cracked where I hit it, no visible damage to the side that was on the ground. When put the helmet down so the opening was on the ground and swung the hammer into it, there was very little noticeable damage: you could see where the head of the hammer hit, but not much else. It was quite interesting! They are very good protection even though they may not be pricey and trendy.
                                      ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
                                      ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
                                      CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Comment

I recently had a similar experience with a slightly older horse. I had been riding her for about three months and the wet season set in and she only got out sporadically. I was getting back into it all with her and had three fantastic rides in a row. Had a day off and the next day, I mounted and...EXPLOSION! Hit the ground HARD and my head (in my GPA) hit the ground and rattled. Oh man it hurt. I was loopy for almost an hour - ER, CT Scan. Everything is okay. GPA held up well but I put it on the shelf and bought a new one just in case. (Mine unfortunately didn't qualify for replacement.)

Moral of the story. Wear the helmet that you like because you'll wear it. If you're comfortable in a $50 Troxel great. If a GPA or Charles Owen fits better, wear that because it'll protect your head better if it stays in place. $500 for a helmet is a hell of a lot cheaper than permanent brain damage. I would also venture to guess that the GPA might be better if you hit your head on something that might try to go through the helmet (fence, jump cup, inconveniently placed pointy branch). I also remember a story about a girl whose head was stepped on by a horse and the GPA held its shape and her head was fine. That would be my only thought on purchasing a GPA over other options.

I looked into the GPA warranty. You have to go through the dealer you bought it from and show a receipt of purchase. It has a one year warranty from date of purchase and an 18 month warranty from date of manufacture. I believe it's $175 for a replacement. I've also heard of some people pleading with the local rep and getting away with getting it replaced even if they didn't meet the above mentioned criteria.

They recommend buying a new helmet every 5 years in general just from normal wear and tear.

As for the horse, she'll be fine. She's still growing and there's some soreness involved that we're getting taken care of. Wish it hadn't taken a nasty fall for me to realize it but live and learn! Glad your story ended okay as well.

BE SAFE! ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!
                                        HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Comment

Working...
                                        X