• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn hours - please report in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn hours - please report in

What are your barn hours? And, do you board at a show barn.

Also, if your barn is closed on Mondays, what exactly does that mean - no riding OR riding is ok but no lessons OR not allowed on the property OR ?

Open 24-7 as far as I know... not set times but we're usually all out by 8 p.m.

Comment

The barn I worked at for years had it's hours listed as 8-10. However I frequently rode earlier and later as did others. They were fine as long as everything got turned off. They were open 7 days a week and currently hold lessons 7 days a week. There have been times when there were no lessons on days but boarders were still welcome (always) and they Often allowed "practice rides" for the students.

The breeding farm was a little different as they were only the owners horses. feeding was at 9 am (I loved this) all the stable work got done and the guys left. I feed during the winter around 5pm a little later when it stayed light out longer. Sometimes I would ride after feeding if I didn't have all the stallions worked. They also did business 7 days a week. If they had someone who wanted to see a stud they were there regardless of time or day.

The current barn owners I will be training out of in a month have told me that they have no hours. They don't care what time I ride or what days, and that goes for my customers as well

In fact I don't know of a single barn up here that is closed a certain day a week!

Comment

Our farm does not have hardfast hours for boarders. They may come and go as they please. The stable is small, and though it houses show horses, it is not a "show barn" in the sense there are multiple trainers and horse shows going on.

We are open on Mondays, and I teach an evening ladies lesson. Unless showing, I try not to be "there" (I live there, anyway.), on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. I can see everything from house anyway.

We close the barn up between 8:30 and 9:00 pm weekdays.

Comment

No set hours really at the barn, but the barn is pretty much full service only and the grooms get off at 4.
          No riding on mondays, its a day for the vet/farrier/dentist to come and a day for everybody to relax.
          Its a show barn.

Comment

No hours but common courtesy

I would not board my horse at a barn that was closed to me. You never know when your horse needs something on a monday after a show that it's easiest for the owner to provide. If he needs a roll in the arena, poultice hosed off, whatever.

I do ask about hours when I check out a place. Most experienced BOs and trainers will have clear ideas about what they want in terms of people showing up or riding unsupervised.

I ask about all these things and then make sure I don't bug the BO during the days or times they have said they'd like "off."
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Our farm is open 24/7; we have people come as early 5am and some who stay as late as 10:30 ish. However, we don't allow children (anyone under 18) to be at the farm without adult supervision, meaning kids are fine after school and until about 7:30ish. We also strongly encourage people not to ride alone late at night or early in the morning, so most come in groups to ride during odd times. Sometimes I wish we had “hours”- but for many of the working moms and college student’s odd times are really the only time they get a chance to ride during the week!

A few local barns are closed on Mondays, meaning no one is to be at the barn for any reason, front gates are closed!

Comment

CLOSED Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Totally. Do not want to see any customers on those days. Horses DO get fed as usual, stalls are mucked, and horses are turned out.

If there is a problem (illness or injury) that needed to be tended to we make exceptions.

Comment

I board at a show barn:
                  Monday - closed (no riding, no visiting - this depends on show schedules but otherwise closed)
                  Tuesday-Friday 8-8
                  Saturday 8-6
                  Sunday 8-3
                  Closed some holidays... and the hours are flexible if there is good cause, ex)showing, work schedule...

Comment

Barn 1: 7 am to 9 pm for boarders. Lessons/tack-up/grooming service from 7:30 until 5, or by special arrangement with trainer (occasional night lesson). Closed on major holidays. No lessons, tack-up or grooming services on Mondays, but you can ride and take care of your horse if you want (most don't).

Barn 2: 7 am to 6 pm for everyone. Closed Mondays, but you can come take care of horse if trainer knows about it (no riding or just showing up for fun)

Barn 3: Common courtesy- no set hours

Comment

M-F 9-9
                      Sat 1:30ish - 9 (the barn is closed in the AM to boarders during therapeutic lessons on Sat. mornings)
                      Sun 9-6

boarders generally allowed before or after barn hours so long as they ask first.

Comment

I board at a show barn however it's very small. Anyway.

In the summer...there aren't really hours but as a general unspoken rule it's 8-9 but there are people that will ride after or before that. As long as everything is shut off/closed up.

In the winter it's 8-8 or 8-9. Same rules apply in the winter that do in the summer. Lessons aren't scheduled on holidays(Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect) but the barn is open.
                        I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me

Comment

I'm kind of frustrated because our barn just decided to change its hours so it will close at 9 p.m. It's hard for me to get off work at six, get home, shove a mouthful of food in my face, change, get out to the barn, and get the riding/cooling out/grooming/feeding done before 10, much less nine. I don't know how this is going to happen and it's really starting to look like my riding is going to be seriously restricted. I hate rushing a horse through its work.

Comment

Barn does have hours, but loosely enforced. Closed on holidays; Christmas, Easter, etc.
                            Horses are fed but no turnout or mucking on those days. Its a show barn and most people are on full service. A group of us come out and do our own thing those days. We turn our horses out and do their stalls. We are all self sufficient, no full service. The guys seem to appreciate our stalls the next day!
                            Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post

Barn 2: 7 am to 6 pm for everyone. Closed Mondays, but you can come take care of horse if trainer knows about it (no riding or just showing up for fun)
                              It closes at 6pm? How do any of the working adults/college kids ride?

My barn has no hours and open everyday of the year. My BO encourages me to come out on major holidays so she has an excuse to hang out in the barn a little longer before facing her extended family.

In the past I've boarded places where they were closed on Mon or had set hours. The hours didn't bother me as long as they were reasonable (ie: 6am-10pm) and didn't restrict my riding time. Closing the barn on a certain day did bother me. I don't like being told I can't come see my horses.

I'll also never understand how barns can skip days of mucking stalls....I can't imagine that's pleasent the day after and I certainly don't want to pay expensive board and have my horses stand in a filthy stall for over 24 hrs. I've never boarded at a place that did that or even heard of it until this board.

Comment

6am-10pm
                                I train in the show barn, but my trainer is the owner of the entire facility(about 60-80 horses) and allows other boarders(like western riders, trail riders, etc) and a western trainer too. A good 36 stalls of the barn are only for show clients or horses sent in to be trained and sold.
                                There is 24hr staff on-site but you can visit your horse between those hours. My trainer doesn't teach Mondays but the barn is still open and you can still ride your horse.

Comment

I own one so this is from that perspective.

I have Mondays and Tuesdays as customer free days. This means no customers about and time to do paddock work and training and stuff without folks getting in the way and needing attention and time.

My contract states:

Access to tack/feed room is ordinarily 8a.m. to 5p.m. It is recommended that the owner make arrangement to ensure that the premises are attended and tack room unlocked. We are content to agree to accommodate out of the aforementioned hours by arrangement. I ordinarily let people go outside those hours at the end of the day - not at the start of the day though and providing they play by the rules and don't interfere with the horses normal feed and turn out times and leave things tidy and close things and don't require any looking after. I never allow anything after 9pm though.

Comment

I'm at a show barn
                                    Mondays closed - and she wants it client free.
                                    Tues - Fri - open till dark
                                    Sat & Sun - dawn till noon

Comment

The barn is open 7 days a week. You can come out anytime after 7, but we keep out until 8 or 8:30 to allow everyone to get fed, digest their food, and turnout started. (they get fed at 7). Lights off in the barn at 9. BO comes down, does night check. Hays and waters, and lights out and you are out the door. No excuses, unless it is for the health or safety of a horse. (if you're waiting for the vet or have to cold hose for 20 minutes and won't be done until 9:05...no problem)

My other mare is boarded at a friend's place, and I'm the only boarder. No set hours, just let her know if I'll be arriving before 8am or after 8pm, just so she doesn't get scared seeing a car come up the driveway.
                                      Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Comment

WOW!

Some of you at show barns with crazy restricted hours... I'd love to hear what you're paying for that!!!! dawn-noon... HAHA! I'd never ride on weekends... when I was a college student, if I wasn't at a horse show... I wasn't out of bed on wkds before 230! And the other one that closes at 6pm.... WOW... I'd have to start sending my horses postcards bc I would never get to see them!

Anyway, any show barn i've ever been at... it's basically an "Everyone out by 9" rule. Although some were a bit more understanding than others that if you were dismounted and cooling off a horse... 930 was understandable.

Mondays were usually either a "closed" day.. or at the very least, a No Trainer on Duty day. Again, some places were more flexible than others about visiting... and one actually let us hack if we were leaving for a horse show on tuesday and needed to not have the day off. This was always with the BO's permission in advance.

I don't think there was ever any morning hours, as we're all crazy horse show people that wake up at ridic hours to prep our horses and were always there by like 5am lunging/bathing/braiding etc.

I totally understand and can appreciate a "closed" day... especially when it's a Monday since most of the show people are coming off a crazy weekend. It gives the horses a day to chill out and me the chance to get everything else done without the guilt of knowing that I should be riding!

Oh! Holidays... Christmas was either closed or everyone out by 1. Thanksgiving same thing. I don't think they cared about Easter or New Years?

Comment

Working...
                                        X