• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Outside opinions on new horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside opinions on new horses

I am looking into getting a new horse. I found two I really like, Im a fan of the "classic" hunter look, the tbs. Ide like some outside looks on these videos, I seem to overlook obvious sometimes, I just want some others opinions.

First, 16h(ish, I cant remember for sure)chestnut tb gelding, 4 years old, he is doing 2ft6 courses right now but she is working on getting me a vid of that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOj-1ib-pQ8

Second, 16h grey tb mare, 5 years old, doing 3ft, possibly a little higher.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sikM2cusiBw

Thanks!

3' is a bit high for a 5 year old to be jumping, imo. Is she jumping 3' courses on a regular basis, or is it just that she has jumped 3' here and there?

I would personally be a bit concerned about her joints and future soundness if the former is the case.

Good luck in your horse search!

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I would wonder that too, Im really not sure, I just put 2 and 2 together before you said that. I could ask.

Comment

Gelding is really cute I think.

As far as the mare, I wouldn't say I like the way she's been being ridden. She goes well but through the fences she just sticks her nose up in the air and looks kind of stiff to me. Could definitely have a lot to do with the way she's been ridden though. You might have a fair amount of re-schooling/fixing to do with her to get her how you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou-Lou View Post
          3' is a bit high for a 5 year old to be jumping, imo. Is she jumping 3' courses on a regular basis, or is it just that she has jumped 3' here and there?

I would personally be a bit concerned about her joints and future soundness if the former is the case.

Good luck in your horse search!
          You know what, REALLY off topic here, But I think so as well..BUT I have a 3 yo & the 3 & 4 yo hutner classes at WEF, upperville, anywhere you look the young hunters are 2'9"-3'!!
          Ans i was thinking oh my god, I would **NEVER** have my 3 yo jumping 3 foot this year...and the IHF has the 3 yo's doing the same.. I am worried about doing 2 foot on her, we are still just doing ground poles..
          SO glad someone else feels the same way!
          [

Comment

I like the chestnut better. In the video it looks like he has a bigger step and he definitely seems to have the nicer jump. He looks quieter and easier in general. He also has the easier lead change.

Of course, I pick the chestnut because I will always sacrifice "fancy" for "easy". Even though, in this case, I think the chestnut is plenty fancy enough.

Other people may like a more challenging ride and if that's you, the gray may be a little better. She doesn't have as nice a jump as the chestnut, to me. But it's really impossible to evaluate whether that is her or the ride she's getting based on one video, so you'd need to go see her to be sure. She also looks short-strided but that may also be the way she is being ridden.

Good luck and enjoy your horse-shopping!
            Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

Comment

i like the gray...i think the way she is being ridden is not helping her at all! i think with some retraining with her, she would be fabulous!!

however, the chetnut is quite lovely as well! I would take either! haha! but I am a sucker for a gray!
              "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Comment

5yo Young Jumpers are doing a LOT higher than 3'.

Comment

Just because they are doing higher than 3' doesn't mean they are any less likely to break down before the age of 10. I'm with everyone else, I think both of these horses are being jumped too high too young. I'd want to see the x-rays of their joints before I decided on anything. Do you plan on keeping this horse for a long time?

Comment

I can't say that either of them really do it for me. Out of the two I like the grey better, but she is going to need to be reschooled a bit.

The gelding looks sweet, but seems long backed and looks like he would not be as careful over fences.

Comment

Just a note on the chestnut's video, I believe someone has forced a 4:3 aspect ratio into a 16:9 screen, making him appear far longer then he would in real life.
                      EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

I would keep looking... neither are good movers
                        Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Comment

I see that the gelding is priced at 5k and we need to keep that in mind. Is that your budget? I have no idea what the price of the mare is, but for 5k I think both are decent. You are not going to get a top mover in that range.

The gelding seems sweet and easy, though he certainly is not as fancy as the mare. I like his kind attitude. His jump is just okay for me.

The grey is very cute and seems very kind over fences. She will need some work between, but I love how honest she is and she does not seem to get rattled.

Good luck in your search!
                          www.elitehuntersales.com

Comment

i like the gelding; he seems to carry himself very well & looks nicely balanced to me. For the price, I think he is a good buy. He looks in good flesh & well-cared-for. JMO.

Comment

I couldn't open the chestnut's video, but I liked the grey for her price range.

The changes didn't look overly sticky or difficult to me. She did seem annoyed about having her face touched, not sure if she needs her teeth done, different bit, different rider, etc. She did a funny head carriage thing on the flat and then the pointy nose over fences. I think this could be fixed by figuring out what is bugging her.

She seemed forgiving of rider error, and had plenty of scope for what she was being asked to do. That being said, most of the jumps didn't look 3' to me. 2'6 maybe.

TB's do mature more quickly than WB's, and given the height of the jumps in the video, I would guess that she is not being over jumped for her age. You could ask to see x-rays to be sure though.

I thought she was quite pretty and had brakes (unlike some TBs), which I liked.

ETA: Opened the chestnut's video. His hind end looked a little suspect to me, but that could have been b/c of the re-sizing of the video that another poster mentioned. I'll stand by my first instinct, I like the mare.
                              Last edited by Mav226; Mar. 29, 2009, 02:40 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

First, the age/height is a non-issue. The issue of breaking a horse down has little to do with height and age, and more to do with training methods. 1st year greens used to start at 3'6".

As far as the horses go it depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. If you want a competitive A hunter you may have to keep looking. The gelding seems to have a great attitude, and is not bad mover but he won't win hack classes at that level. His form over the fence is not A hunter caliber.

The grey mare seems to have much more going for her. Her movement is fine, and she would probably place in the hacks. Her form over a fence is good, she is square. However she has been done an injustice in that whoever started her over fences has her upside down in her carriage. Heavy hands or getting hit in the mouth, either way she is reluctant to use her back, or her head and neck. I say it’s the training because on the flat she is long and low and relaxed, put a fence in front of her and it all changes. She needs to go back to square one to fix her problems over fences, and that does not always work, or may take a very long time.

I do not know their prices but I would guess that they are both 5K+, and for that, at this time I would think you could do better. You may be better off getting a nice prospect, and putting in the time.

Comment

Well, I think the chestnut is a better buy. He is very quiet and easy, and seems to have enough step. He looks like a very forgiving and easy ride, and uses his head/neck much better over the fence...I think 'fixing' that in the mare is going to be an uphill battle. The grey mare also looks fairly downhill, she is eye-appealing, but getting them to use their neck better o/f is not an easy thing to do. I actually think the chestnut for 5k is a good deal; if he was a year older and had show experience (of course he needs to have the step) than I could see him packing someone around the Modifieds or AA's....though he might not be a fancy mover (though he's not a terrible mover IMO), there is always room for an easy, quiet 2'6-3' horse with the step & that can take a joke.

Comment

I like the mare a lot more than the gelding. I think she overall looks fancier and while she does need some re-training I think she would take you farther in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by GaellentQuest View Post
                                      I can't say that either of them really do it for me. Out of the two I like the grey better, but she is going to need to be reschooled a bit.

The gelding looks sweet, but seems long backed and looks like he would not be as careful over fences.
                                      agreed. i think they are both quite fancy with nice changes.
                                      to me personally the grey looks like she can go higher while the chestnut looks like he might max out at around 3'.
                                      the mare DOES look a little short strided but if you watch, she stretches down more when the rider gets off her back which makes me think the rider wasn't doing her any favors.
                                      the gelding is just too long and low for me.

Comment

sent you a pm

Comment

Working...
                                        X