• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

economy: rated vs. schooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• economy: rated vs. schooling?

If the economy is impacting your show budget, what will you do?

- continue showing at the A/AA level

- continue showing at the A/AA level for a few selected shows and do B/C otherwise

- continue showing at the B/C level

- do a few B/C shows, but add in a few nice unrated shows

- do only unrated shows

- no showing at all

I just wonder - if a person isn't chasing points with a realistic goal of year end awards, why stress about the money?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I have only ever done local shows and schooling shows and that is what I am going to do this year too.

Comment

I'll do some schooling and some B/C this year. We're working on my confidence for this season so why spend the extra money on the A shows just for me to screw up But in all seriousness I have seen more and more of the people who used to go to Florida for the winter at some of the shows around here. I know a lot of them stayed home because of the economy. We're lucky that we have some VERY nice schooling shows in the area and B/C shows.
      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

We typically do a couple A shows; 4-5 B shows; and 6-10 state recognized/local shows. This year, I will most likely cut out the A shows and only do a few of the B shows. Money is okay, but I work for an automotive supplier, so I need to be diligent in the event something happens.

Comment

The local shows down here are pretty expensive. Granted, they are well run and some are even held at the WEF venue, but still. Everything is pricey in this area. I may be able to budget for a couple of them this year, if I plan ahead. Still, this economy has me nervous about spending on shows at all. I am happy with the amount of good experience and progress I'm making in my lessons and feel lucky enough as it is....
          Love my "Slo-TTB"

Comment

I did an unrecognized schooling circuit through the winter (4 shows total) and I think I'm doing one A rated show in April. I event, as well, so I'm trying to split my budget! I'm going to stick to local shows for the in-between-event sharpening up this season, instead of doing AAs and As like I did last season.
            “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

Comment

I am doing mostly schooling shows, and a few C-rated. I am not ready for the A rated yet.
              OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
              Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
              Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

Quite often, at least where I am, most of the B shows are about the same as the A shows but the difference is you might be able to win back more prize money at the A's - that is if you are lucky enough to be able to enter classes offering prize money

Our barn is pretty much sticking to whatever shows happen to be closer to home as that cuts down on travel costs. Fortunately there are several shows close enough where we can trailer in for the day..

We'll also be doing some schooling shows. There are some young, not ready for primetime riders and it makes no sense for them to spend several hundred $$ on rated shows to do unrated classes/divisions - they just wouldn't be competitve enough. While some folks poo-poo the schooling shows -it's been my experience that some schooling show circuits are quite fun and competitve w/ year end awards, banquets, pretty ribbons and trophies...

Comment

I have really been wanting to get back to showing A shows but this morning I was looking at a prize list and probably not going to happen anytime soon. It would cost me $315 in fees and another $245 in entries. So $560 and I haven't even paid for hauling ($200) or shavings ($80) and training ($$?). So figure, doing it "on the cheap" would still probably cost me $1000 per weekend? I just can't justify it no matter how bad I want to go play.

I will find some cheap local stuff to do and probably do some combined training if I want to show recognized. It will cost me about half of that to go play there And cross country is fun.

Comment

I'm doing our local C series but one is an A rated show and thats all for the summer. Its just to expensive right now.
                    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

Comment

Looking at about 3 maybe 4 A shows on the cheap (sharing hotel room, going sans trainer, trucking myself and doing just a few jumper classes at each), 1 B and maybe a couple unrateds. Would love to do more, but saving money is the priority for sure.

Keeping pretty close to home, but might splurge for a week at VT if the mare is doing really well.

And if the money is too tight for that schedule, I'm telling myself I'm not above sleeping in my truck...
                      ILOVERMONT

Comment

My five year old has just started cantering courses, and since I took a vow to not spend a single A horse show dollar jumping 2'6", I won't be attending any As this year.

I am fortunate that there are several local shows I can take him to and I have some As close enough that I can haul in and have him hang out on schooling day. I think he's the type to take all the horse show activity in stride after a few times, so my schedule this year should be fine for him.
                        You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Money's tight, but I need the mileage as well. Sticking with the schooling shows through out the spring and hoping to do some C/B rated in the fall. Wishful thinking I think...

Comment

i try to cut out B and C shows entirely, because i realize that whenever i end up going to one, i don't usually 'care' about it that much. there aren't any B or C shows around here that i really really enjoy. i do LOCAL (as in, literally ones that are down the road that i really enjoy) schooling shows in the late winter/early spring and then save the $$ for the big A's and AA's in the spring and summer. i don't usually show in the fall or early winter. it also helps that i am a working student at the barn, so i get a good amount of $$ (what i earn each month) deducted off my bill: really helps when its horse show time. plus, i can win back some $$ at the A/AA's with the classics.

it sounds strange, but cutting out all the C and B shows is helpful. i get "more" for my money at an A show or a schooling show, i feel. i enjoy very local unrated shows and very big shows. the in-betweens never did much for me, so why should i go? If it's not an A show, then it's me practicing for the A's. if i'm just going to be practicing (though i take EVERY show seriously and treat it like an A minus the braids) im not going to spend the money on a decent C show when i can go to a very close by and much more affordable local show.
                            (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

Originally posted by Aliascml View Post
                              I have only ever done local shows and schooling shows and that is what I am going to do this year too.
                              Yeah thats pretty much me. Sometimes I am motivated to do like one lower A show during the year, but my guess is I won't do that.
                              The local circuits still seem pretty $$ even, they run about $20/class at the least

Comment

Local schoolings, C's, and B's. Local A's if they are day trips. Entries are pretty much the same for all of them, so it's about closeness and convenience. Stalls are way too expensive now

Comment

Well because my mare is green, I'll be doing schooling and C-rated shows to start the year off. She's young and I really just want to get some miles on her this year. Why waste money when the economy is so bad??
                                  Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
                                  http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

Comment

I will do a few select A/AA shows that I really enjoy, that I feel are reasonably priced and that are somewhat close to home. I will do some B's and there are very few C's around where I show. Will do local shows only as a warm-up or with a young horse.

I don't like doing the locals with my good horses as I can't guarantee that the footing will be decent, the stabling decent, the judging decent.

Comment

Last year I only showed B and C and this year, I'm going to do some A and/or AA! Since I, personally, pay for everything, I made less last year than I make this year(working teen!), so I can hopefully afford to do the bigger shows since I got my $5/hr raise! haha

I mean, I still won't be showing as much as most people(with full time jobs), but it'll will be more than before. In fact, I'm doing a schooling this weekend for someone who asked me to show their horses, then a C and a B the 2nd week in April, and another B the last week of April, but then probably nothing until July. I'm hoping I'll be able to go to Pebble this summer too if I can save up enough and still have a suitable horse....

Comment

Don't know if any of you are in Maryland but if you are - the Maryland Horse Trials facility is hosting a few unrated/schooling hunter jumper shows this year - the place is amazing. Wonderful footing & huge rings - one ring is like 500'x260'; Plenty of parking. I'm not sure of the dates but you can go here for the website www.themarylandhorsetrials.com; the place is near Frederick, MD just over the Montgomery County line -right across the river from Leesburg/Lovettsville, VA...

Comment

Working...
                                        X