• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Today's Big Eq kids..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Big Eq kids..

This will not be a thread bashing them. It will not be about needing to use the auto release.

That being said, what I do want to bring up is this.

In pics of them on their eq horse, they have amazing equitation. Their legs are tight, they are centered and balanced, and they look great. When you see pictures of them on their hunters, they are jumping ahead, pinching with their knees, their legs are WAY back, and they are laying on their horses neck.

Now having horrible equitation does not make your horse jump better.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS? Any explanations from our top junior riders?

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
    see ya
  • Original Poster

This will not be a thread bashing them. It will not be about needing to use the auto release.

That being said, what I do want to bring up is this.

In pics of them on their eq horse, they have amazing equitation. Their legs are tight, they are centered and balanced, and they look great. When you see pictures of them on their hunters, they are jumping ahead, pinching with their knees, their legs are WAY back, and they are laying on their horses neck.

Now having horrible equitation does not make your horse jump better.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
    see ya

Comment

Is equitation only for equitation classes? And if so, what's the point? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

SillyHorse

~ PRIDE: It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have any
      Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

A good eq horse is a splinter-belly flat-backed jumpin' machine who doesn't jar the rider that much, hence it's easier to maintain a nice solid position.

A good hunter, on the other hand, should be a round back-crackin' ba-boom-basculing jumpin' bean - and just try keeping correct pretty angles over a 3'6" jump on that!

My simplistic, but ALWAYS humble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] opinion.

Comment

I think alot of eq riders imitate the exagerated style many top hunter riders use. When I look through the pages of COTH for hunter pics, I'm amazed that some of these riders aren't jumped off! I know they may be effective but they look awful. I think alot of jrs imitate that look as soon as they leave the eq classes.

Resident racing historian
          May the horse be with you -Harvey Pack May you be with the horse - My last trainer
          F O.B
          Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
          Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

How about this?

SillyHorse

Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

At the Garden last year, I saw a couple "big name pros" just about fall off in the hunter classes.

I was sitting with a couple of other BNP's and we were all appalled... Granted, I was sitting with JUMPER people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
              co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Get-Em-Tiger:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As my coach often says - "Your horse mimics your ride."

That said, if I am soft and relax (albeit loose) my horse will jump soft and round and be relaxed in his jump.

Look how a good hunter jumps and look how a good Eq. horse jumps - two totally different phenomenons. An Eq. horse jumps flatter to serve a purpose - so that the rider can equitate/pose better. It's harder to equitate on a back-cracker (though many greats like Conrad Homfeld, Greg Best and Joe Fargis have been able to do it.)

If Emily Williams were to ride down to a 4' oxer on Strapless as if the mare were an equitation horse - would she get as good of a jump out of her as if she stayed loose and forward while galloping down to the jumps on a loopy rein - I HIGHLY doubt it.

So going back to my original statement, "Your horse mimics your ride." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

but there is a world of difference between Kathy Kusner, one of our sport's all-time most talented and gifted athletes, and your average "Big Eq Kid."

FYI I can't open your .bmp attachment but assume it's the famous pic of KK jumping Untouchable over 7" at Hickstead in the 60s. A stellar example of how to do it right at the highest levels, and certainly the form and style that all of us amateurs should strive for.

VT's point about the type of ride you are giving the horse is interesting, as well.

Comment

Then what is the purpose of equitation? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$. I really don't understand this. If the horse goes in the desirable manner with a particular style of riding, why is that style not correct equitation? At least it's not going to win an equitation class.

And I've never read G.M. or anyone else, for that matter, to say that lying on your horse's neck with your butt way up in the air is good riding. Yet I know most of the hunter pros ride like this.

SillyHorse

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashy Gray:

VT's point about the type of ride you are giving the horse is interesting, as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting good? Or Interesting bad? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

interesting good, its the way it is.

Comment

VT, believe it or not, as much as I appreciate your posts containing scientific data on the rituals and habitat of the Wily Mid-Atlantic Urchin [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] - I think your observations on this thread ARE interesting.

Comment

VT- I also find your point interesting (in a good way) it intrigues me... but its no excuse to be sloppy

look at McLain Ward on a daily basis, his equitation is always good. So is Nikki Simpson, Ray Texel, Lauren Hough, etc. and their horses are jumping at their best most of the time. Even Emily Williams, whom you use as an excellent example, usually has good equitation... Maybe its proof of perfecting the ride? They have managed to keep that good equitation while also mastering the idea of relaxing into that good position...

I agree that a back-cracking hunter isn't going to allow you perfect equitation but I do think that good equitation can be shown on anyhorse.

someone said something to the effect that you can't compare the big eq riders with Kathy Kusner and the like... I think they are right. Equitation is an ongoing experience and the ideal is to be so comfortable on a horse and with your position that you look the same.

The big eq kids are learning and learning takes brain power, I agree with VTrider that if kids thought that hard about position while showing their hunters, then the hunters form wouldn't be as good.

Comment

• Original Poster

See, I agree with you VTRider to a point. You can be soft and relaxed without being loose and jumping ahead.

Jumping ahead and laying on the horse's neck does not make him jump better. Same goes with pinching with your knee and sending your lower leg flying back.

I am not saying these are just like average equitation riders. These are the ones winning eq classes in Florida and at Devon. Then you see them on a picture of a hunter and they look like they are about to fall off a horse.

I don't mind the big realease. In fact, I think eq riders need to give more of one. If you watch an eq class, the riders hands DO NOT move. They stay the same place galloping to the jump as they do over the jump. They aren't yanking their horse's mouth off, but they could atleast give a release.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!
                              see ya

Comment

PS- not all big eq riders are sloppy. I saw an amazing display of equitation by Maggie Jayne on Towerheads... she shows exactly how an automatic release should be done and I'm still picking my jaw up off the ground!

Comment

Since most eq horses don't have quite the effortless stride most hunters do, the ride has to be a little more forward in the eqs. Since the eq horse does not explode off the ground like some hunters do, it takes much less effort for the rider to keep up with the horse.

So many hunters lope casually around the course, there is a big change in power when they leave the ground. The rider may have to make a big effort to keep up with the horse, and the horse's jump can dislodge the rider a bit.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...
                                  Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

Question: what is the purpose of an equitation class? To demonstrate the rider's skill in general on any given horse, or to demonstrate the rider's skill in riding hunters specifically, or something else altogether? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Because if it's about ability and form relative to the hunt seat discipine, isn't it kind of pointless if the eq horses don't even go in the hunter classes, at least at the big-time level?

This is a question from a not-in-the-know eventer--not being facetious.

Comment

But doing THIS (see pic) is kind of overdoing it IMHO. And yes, I'm wayyyy too active over jumps myself, even crossrails. But then again, I have 1/100th of the experience that these people have.

~Erin B #1
                                      They call television a medium. That's because it is neither rare nor well done.
                                      Erin B #1
                                      erinbardwell.com

Comment

wow, that's a beautiful horse..... how are the laws of physics allowing that rider to stay on though? i have no experience with hunters, so bear with me here!!

-Liz
                                        *Member of the Disgruntled College Student Clique!*
                                        ~proud 20 yr old bubble head~
                                        woo hoo IHSA!

Comment

Working...
                                        X