• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hey LI-ers!! Got any thoughts on the recent change in the LIHSAA point system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree and also disagree with a number of points made above. Wish I had the time to go into detail at the moment, but I don't. For Long Islanders: Come to the LI PHA meeting March 5th (I think that's the date) and express yourselves. As a member of the LI High Score Awards Assn. committee I do have to say that this change was not "underhanded," in my opionion. Ponypulr explained the situation accurately. More later... when I have more time.

Comment

Where are the LI PHA meetings held?

Comment

Country Kitchen restaurant in Smithtown. Usually the first monday in the month, 7:30. Anyone reading this from L.I. time to be heard.
        \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
        Stevie Nicks

Comment

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the "underhanded" way this was handled. I was at the LIPHA meeting when this was brought up by a member of the LIHSAA. It got a very negative reponse then and at a later meeting. I also know that the subject was discussed at a LIHSAA meeting and voted down. The meeting that it passed only had 5 members present how is that a fair majority of the whole committee?? I have spoken to several members of the LIHSAA who didn't even know there had been a meeting and were upset not to have been notified.

Comment

Did this rule change take place after the start of the new LIHSAA show year?

Comment

After reading all of the above comments, I have to concur with Gold Dust (2/21 3:13 p.m.). It is said best right in that comment. Many of us show on LI all year and all our points should be counted, not lost. The rules should not be changed to accommodte the select few who show off-Island in the winter (Florida, etc.) and come here for the summer shows and say goodbye in the fall to show somewhere else! Most of us stick it out in cold weather and in hot weather, snow or rain, all year long. LIHSAA should be for Long Islanders. Horseshowing is hard work. A lot of time and effort and training (blood, sweat and tears) goes into it (just ask my trainer).

Also, how may committee members are there? Was the 4-1 vote a fair representation of the views held by all the committee members? (4-1 says "no.") I think the vote would have been closer if all the members were present to vote.

And, since this was voted in after the 2001 season began, is it fair to institute it now, or wait until next year (maybe) if this issue ever gets hammered out?

Comment

I am so glad to see so much interest in this thread
                Brilyntrip

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, the vote was taken after Dec. 1st, 2000, which is the start of the new horse show year.

As far as I can tell, there are 13 members of LIHSAA.
                  \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

Another very good point. Being the 2001 season had already started I do not understand how something could be taken to a vote and come into effect for this year. As we all know it was turned down the year prior so it seems to me the proper thing to do is bring it up for discussion again with much more then 5 committee members and openly avilable for all to give their views. I was also at the meeting where all the charts were shown. Still it did not get a good response so that should have been a clue majority was not in favor. Knowing this was an issue with a big impact the 'general public' should have been told. it was being put to a vote.
                    Stevie Nicks

Comment

...60 horse shows is quite alot...I know of several end of year hi-point award winners (not just on LI) who were never quite the same soundness-wise after being pounded while chasing after all those zillions of points. There will always be someone who is not happy with whatever system is in place...Those left in the dust by the point chasers will complain if all the shows count, those who would happily attend every last show on the schedule no matter what will complain if all of them aren't counted...But it is important that changes be made in an orderly manner and that concerned parties be given sufficient notice to make comments, and that changes be instituted at a time of year that makes sense...anyway, what are some compromise solutions that would allow a good horseman to save a good horse, allow for the selection of shows based on what they have to offer the exhibitor aside from points, yet reward those whose goals include achieving an end of year title? Any ideas???
                      Inner Bay Equestrian
                      Facebook
                      KERx

Comment

I do not believe that anyone did 60 shows this year!My horses usually do no more than 25 to 30 for he whole year.If an exhibitor did do 60 that is their choice isn't it?Most of us(LONG ISLANDERS)Give time off through out the season.I promise you that what most Eq horses do in order for their riders qualified is less than what the majority of Long Islanders do each year.Th ebig issue here isn't so much about how many shows anyone did but about how this was done.
                        Brilyntrip

Comment

name of Toucher, barn name Teddy. He is a 16.2 hand dark bay with a huge blaze. Very leggy, 2 front splints, would be 6 yrs old now. He was at our barn for a year after coming off the track and was one of our favorites, last we knew he was sent to Long Island. He was at the Gold Coast Eques. Center for a very short time around August than was moved to a barn in Westbury. If anyone knows how he is doing we just want to see if he is ok. Please email me at ILUVROYALBLUE@CS.COM
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/royalblue106

Comment

I really don't have an opinion at this point, since I haven't spoken to all that many people about this in details to get the facts (I just learned more reading this thread). I'll ask around and post on this over the weekend.

I do have a question though -- what happened to the LIHSAA website? It "disappeared" late last year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
                            "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Comment

Dear Jane,
                              Your question is on the lips of everyone who shows on LOng Island!!! We all want to know why there is no website anymore!!!After so many questions and no answers I can only surmise that there is some sort of problem that "we the interested parties" aren't privy to. Maybe at the March 5 th meeting that and other questions can be answered.
                              Brilyntrip

Comment

I believe we are way off the issue on that point. First of all 60 shows is not a number I think anyone has done. Second of all I take it as an insult as a trainer that points would mean more to me then the welfare of my horse. The horse I had most chase points were trying to qualify for zones and did show twice a week and never jumped at home. Jumping twice a week in your opinion is too much? This can not and should not be one of the reasons to install the 20 horse show rule for we all know it would not work in this matter. People will show with the attitude I have to be champion 20 times and we all know in reality how hard that is. PLEASE-20 horse show rule will not stop the point chasers.
                                Stevie Nicks

Comment

I was just told via phone by the PRES> of the LIHSAA that there will be an open meeting of the LIHSAA at 6:30 pm March5 at the country kitchen in Smithtown ny.That is one hour before the usual LIPHA meeting!Please ya'll come
                                  Brilyntrip

Comment

At present there are 14 people on the board - there is feeling that we should add a few trainers also. now it is mainly horse show people

Comment

Without a doubt this has been my feeling for quite some time now. L.I. needs to be represented by all not just horse show managers. All inputs would make the committee have a more objective opinion. The present committee is outdated and the concerns of all should be taken within any organization.
                                      Stevie Nicks

Comment

Has anyone done the math on the 60 horse show deal? Check this out - 1 horse, 1 trainer, trailer and braiding - here goes:

60 horse shows div. by 12 = 5 shows per month.

Expenses for 1 show:

Entry fees (average) $125.
                                        Trainer fees 50.
                                        Trailering fees 50.
                                        Braiding (optional) 25.

Total $250 x 5 show per month = $1,250/month

$1,250 per month x 12 months = $15,000.

That's staggering!!!

I have no desire to pound away and "chase points" as the saying goes. I think I'll just stick to a series (10 shows or less) and hope for the best!!

Comment

In response to above posts: Yes, trainers, owners, riders (pros, amateurs and juniors), show managers and any other individuals interested in the state of horse showing on Long Island SHOULD be involved. Well then, why not JOIN the Long Island PHA, why not ATTEND the monthly meetings?

[This message was edited by Laura Reed on Feb. 22, 2001 at 08:55 PM.]

Comment

Working...
                                          X