• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle Saga Continues - Withery TB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Saga Continues - Withery TB?

Alright, its time for a new saddle, mine does not fit my horse and I am EXTREMELY low on cash (as a starving student ) I could probably sell my current saddle fr $800-1000 dollars, assuming a buyer in this market. So that would be my budget, possibly a little more.

I am very long in my thigh, so need a long flap, and my new horse has typical TB sharkfin withers.

Any suggestions?
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look
    around once in a while you could miss it.

Popular Vote - Delaney

I've always had the most luck with the Prestige saddles for shark fins. The Red Fox line is the more economical of the Prestige saddles.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Comment

While my saddle (and my horse, for that matter) are old - saddle is 15 years old and horse is 28 - but both are hanging tight - I can relate.

My horse also has the withers of Everest so when I bought my Kiefer Wien, I bought used from a gal at my barn (after riding in it for about a week or so to see how I liked it, but more importantly to see how he liked it). I was also on a budget and she was selling it as she had just purchased a new saddle. She and I came to a payment arrangement that I could afford.

I encourage you to ask folks - both at stores and elsewhere if they are flexible with regard to payment. You may be surprised at how willing folks are to help out.

Good luck.

P.S. bought the Wien because it has the cut back so it would never possibly pinch him.

Comment

I bought something that "fit" the horse and then shimmed it with a Mattes pad till he finished growing/filling out a little. Then last week I got all the foam taken out, and the tree widen, so now he has his very own saddle (that fits no one else in the barn! ). It's an older Delgrange that was in beautiful condition and quite a deal given the condition of the saddle. To get the tree widen/foam replaced with wool was $450. It was a better alternative to a new saddle.

Comment

My BdH is the first saddle that really worked on my slender TB with big withers and a huge shoulder - as far as non-custom saddles. Check out Dover - I think they are on closeout now (although that may mean they aren't doing test rides). You also might be able to find a used on if you get lucky for under $1000.

Have you checked out www.usedsaddles.com? They have a really good trial program so you can test a few out.

ETA: I don' know what size you're looking for and the flap may be too short, but this may be worth a try - it's a good saddle and good deal - http://usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=pnnfflcq

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much, guys! What do you think of the bates caprilli c/c?

Popular Vote - Delaney

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonH93 View Post
              NO.

I have an HDR that I use on my horse who is a Thoroughbred cross, but built like a true TB. He has big withers and I used an HDR and a Beval's Theraputic pad on him. Works like a charm. I also have a long thigh and it fits me well.
              www.justworldinternational.org

Comment

I actually bought a Dover close contact saddle that seems to fit a lot of horses quite well. its very comfy. found it for $600 on ebay.

Comment

That's my favorite saddle ever, for me...but I also have a shark withered TB and it did NOT work out at all. No amount of padding could have "fixed" it either. Unfortunately.
                  I went with a Courbette Extra Forward/Long CC (but that's black and brown, probably not a good saddle for hunters) and I love it. It's long and forward enough for my freakishly long thigh and it fits my horse with a fluffy half pad (will most likely fit him perfectly with more muscle )
                  Katie

Comment

If someone out there could make a saddle to fit those TB withers, for under $1500, I bet they'd sell a boatload....

Seems the toughest type of horse to find an affordable saddle for.
                    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                      If someone out there could make a saddle to fit those TB withers, for under $1500, I bet they'd sell a boatload....

Seems the toughest type of horse to find an affordable saddle for.
                      Somebody does:

Thorowgood.

The company is makes saddles not only different tree WIDTHS, but also different tree SHAPES.
                      They specifically have a saddle with a tree designed for high withers.

I believe the saddles are wool flocked, so that once you have a basically correct tree width and shape for your horse, a saddle fitter can tweak the flocking for the final, customized fit.

The saddles are available new through Dover for around $500.
                      If the OP lives in the NY/NJ area, the pro saddle fitter I use for my horses just signed on to use them as one of the many brands she represents, because of how many options they have to really and truly fit the horse.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I have wondered about Thorowgood saddles. Have you ridden in one?

Also seems there are more TB-friendly type saddles in the UK... I'm tempted to have a friend over there pick one up for me....
                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                          I have wondered about Thorowgood saddles. Have you ridden in one?

Also seems there are more TB-friendly type saddles in the UK... I'm tempted to have a friend over there pick one up for me....
                          I have not, but based on their price and the facts that
                          1.) I ride a lot of different horses and
                          2.) my saddle fitter now represents them and can custom fit/flock one to a horse that needs something different than the saddles I currently have, I probably will soon.

For example I do not have a saddle to accommodate a high withered horse or a very wide backed horse, and if I start riding one of those regularly I would just as soon spend $500 on a saddle that really fits him, and then have that saddle around as part of the "fitting repetoire".

It could be a great way to have a selection of saddles that really enables someone who rides a lot of horses to be able to fit the horses well without spending $20,000 on saddles. For the same price as one Antares or Devoucoux you really could fit pretty much every horse in the barn.
                          The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                          Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                          Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                          The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Anything with wool can be custom flocked and if you get something with an adj tree (many of the major trees made in the UK are adj as well as the french) if can grow with the horse. I like wool for high withers and foam for flatter backs and low withers generally...

Comment

• Original Poster

I was really thinking about the BdH, It seems the long flap would fit well, and for the current price at dover its worth a try (darling mother and father said they'd help pay for it, anything for their princes.. and I'm not talking about me! They just loove my mare!) I also like the options wool can afford me. How is the quality of the BdH? I ride very frequently and want something that will hold up.

Popular Vote - Delaney

Comment

I have a Caprilli and I haven't been impressed with it on the shark-finned beasties.

My #1 daughter (who has long thighs) had a Northrun Ashland that she rode Mr. Studly in. He's a broad TB with very prominent withers. That saddle was fabulous for him! It was also a very nice saddle for the money. I paid less than $500 for it used.
                                Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Nope. Especially not for a TB with withers. Not enough clearance on those saddles.

And the shape of the panels is sometimes odd...and I am not sold on the adjustable gullet/air panels yet.

I would go with Kieffer. Kieffer does make some nice jumping saddles as well. I have the Kieffer Arlene and love it. My TB has a decent wither on him and a large shoulder as most TB's do. Fit him wonderfully. The Saddle Dr. was very impressed with the fit.

They are also wool flocked so that gives you room to adjust. Some Kieffer's also offer a certain tree (some are called the Excellent tree) and it can be placed on a machine my a Kieffer saddle fitter and the tree can be specially molded to your horse via some sort of infrared technology I believe...it heats up the tree and molds it.

And it's a Kieffer, it will last forever.

I've also heard good things about BdH's and Passiers for TB's.

Comment

I was really thinking about the BdH, It seems the long flap would fit well, and for the current price at dover its worth a try (darling mother and father said they'd help pay for it, anything for their princes.. and I'm not talking about me! They just loove my mare!) I also like the options wool can afford me. How is the quality of the BdH? I ride very frequently and want something that will hold up.
                                    The quality is super. No, it's not a 3,000+ French saddle, but it is the comprable to the older Crosbys or Pessoas. I've had mine two years and it looks great, never had an issue with it. I really think you'd be impressed with the quality when comparing to other saddles in (and above) your price range.

Comment

My Childeric fits my big withered TB. I had a Bates, he loathed it, and before that I had a Forestier, which he and I both hated So happy with my Childeric.

Comment

I say this as someone who was once on a small saddle budget myself and own a withery TB. Like, $400 the first time and $1200 the next time. Thankfully I now own an Amerigo, but trust me, I've been in your shoes.

I am TIRED of reading threads like this on COTH because they always end with the same tragedy. The OP gets a bunch of specific saddle brands thrown at them, and in desperation to get themselves mounted up again quickly and get their horse comfortable, they start pumping out $50 or $75 apiece to get the saddles UPS'ed to their house with VERY little indication that it will or will not fit the horse (pretty much just the words of a stranger on a bulletin board). Or even worse, they buy the saddle at their local shop and then have to pay huge restocking fees, never mind the cost of gas back and forth. And before you know it, that $1000 budget just became a $700 budget because of the cost of shipping and restock fees--or, in rare cases, because of the investment in additional corrective padding after the saddle purchase to "make it work". 9 times out of 10, the buyer becomes so frustrated that they up the budget to include money that they don't have. My FAVORITE iteration of this game is when it ends with the OP buying a brand new saddle at $1900 that they could have had used for $800, but they gave up and stopped looking.

Yes, there are specific brands that tend to fit TB's well. About half of them have been listed on this thread; Stubben, Passier, and a few others got left behind. But all of the saddles listed on this thread already fit VERY differently. Choosing one at random to try, no matter how nice the saddle brand (like BdH or Northrun), is a stab in the dark.

Shannon, if you don't want to be a victim of this ridiculous cycle, here's what needs to happen. Either spend $10 at your local office supply/art supply store for a flexible curve, or find yourself a very flexible piece of wire (I recommend disassembling a cheap flimsy coat hanger). Learn to take wither tracings; it's not rocket science and there's excellent instructions on the Internet (try www.trumbullmtn.com for a picture tutorial). Every withery TB has a different curvature to their spine, a different wither height, a different degree of fullness or hollowness to the sides of their withers, a different relationship between the wither and scapula, and you can't capture that without pictures of the back from several crucial angles and wither tracings.

Put a set of tracings onto gift wrap or another flimsy paper that you can cheaply mail away for free saddle fitting advice. Imagine how much time you'll save consulting someone like Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop, who will actually HOLD UP the tracings to the saddles that they intend to send you, meaning you've got much better odds of success.

Put another set on cardboard so that you can cut it out and take it with you on shopping trips to the local tack stores (very educational as it'll give you a rough picture of tree size and panel shape needs, which means that if you DO end up having to order a saddle from afar, you can ask the right questions about how it's built). Don't forget to hold up those cardboard tracings to every saddle your friends or trainer will allow you to compare it with.

Then, and only then, start paying to have saddles shipped out to you. You probably won't strike gold the very first time because the saddle will also have to fit *you*, but you'll greatly increase your odds of success. And if you're lucky, you'll learn a thing or two about saddle fitting along the way so that next time--and sadly, there is always a next time with saddle fit--you'll be more educated about your horse's back and her needs.
                                        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X